Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

MrBlandAverage posted:

It should also incorporate lolcats and/or bannable catchphrases as a caption and break tables.

That sounds like a dorkroom photo contest waiting to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer
Got a weekend to kill in NYC coming up, and I plan on going to B&H on Friday.

Someone please take my wallet from me before I get there. I'm scared of what may happen.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008
There's a 50% chance it's a Jewish holiday and they'll be closed.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

DJCobol posted:

Got a weekend to kill in NYC coming up, and I plan on going to B&H on Friday.

Someone please take my wallet from me before I get there. I'm scared of what may happen.

They close early on Fridays, be sure you get there early enough. Also, make sure you go upstairs as some people forget to do this for some reason, and miss out on the best part. Also... really, don't buy anything there. NYC sales tax is horrendous.

Cross_ posted:

Not this Friday. Their hours.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Cross_ posted:

There's a 100% chance that it's closed whenever I visit their website.

I don't think I've ever seen that site without the WE'RE CLOSED dialog.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Mannequin posted:

They close early on Fridays, be sure you get there early enough. Also, make sure you go upstairs as some people forget to do this for some reason, and miss out on the best part. Also... really, don't buy anything there. NYC sales tax is horrendous.

Not this Friday. Their hours.

My flight gets into Newark pretty early, so I'll be there in the morning. Whats upstairs? The only I planned on purchasing while I'm there is a backpack. I need to make sure I get something big enough to hold all my crap (laptop and accessories, camera and lenses, ipad, cables and other crap, etc.) and want to see a bunch of different bags in person rather than buying sight unseen online.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
You should really just order your backpack from amazon or something. Just check them out there, and use prime to get it for at least half the tax at your hotel on a Saturday.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

BobTheCow posted:

What would be the most bannable possible photo? I'm thinking nudity, gaudy HDR, lens flare, super vignette, obnoxious watermark. Bonus points for pointlessly crooked horizon and distracting background elements.

and it wouldn't offer any critique (or better: terrible critique) in PAD.

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

dakana posted:

and it wouldn't offer any critique (or better: terrible critique) in PAD.

Can we add some bokehs and missed focus? And it obviously has to be shot on THE BOSS.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Martytoof posted:

There's nothing worse than coming back from a small walkaround shoot and having a card full of technically well shot photos, but they're all ridiculously boring. I almost like it better when I have zero keepers because I was shooting +2EV accidentally or something.
Dump the pictures to an obscure corner of your harddrive and forget about them for at least a year. Like good wine, some photos will benefit tremendously from a little aging.

Yes, I'm a pretentious cock. Why do you ask?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

ExecuDork posted:

Dump the pictures to an obscure corner of your harddrive and forget about them for at least a year. Like good wine, some photos will benefit tremendously from a little aging.

1) Convert them into black and white. Voila! Instant 'reportage'

2) Run a lomo-effect filter over them. Poof! Instant hipster cred

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Delete them all in a fit of artistic rage, that's what I'd do.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:

BobTheCow posted:

What would be the most bannable possible photo? I'm thinking nudity, gaudy HDR, lens flare, super vignette, obnoxious watermark. Bonus points for pointlessly crooked horizon and distracting background elements.

Don't forget selective coloring!

(Oh God please don't tell me there are pictures of selectively-colored HDR out there)

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

Casull posted:

Don't forget selective coloring!

(Oh God please don't tell me there are pictures of selectively-colored HDR out there)

I had to find out. Indeed there are. Here's the very first google result for "selectively-colored HDR"

Yikes.

Danoss
Mar 8, 2011

PREYING MANTITS posted:

I had to find out. Indeed there are. Here's the very first google result for "selectively-colored HDR"

Yikes.

Oh god, it exists. The bottom of the barrel has been discovered.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

I actually think the selective color makes it look better because it actually has a visual focus rather than looking like a big rectangle of rainbow vomit.

Danoss
Mar 8, 2011

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I actually think the selective color makes it look better because it actually has a visual focus rather than looking like a big rectangle of rainbow vomit.

So would that mean you would prefer a puddle of vomit, like this?

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Maybe it's because I just woke up, but at first, I thought there was a lava-dungeon below the street.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

aliencowboy posted:

Maybe it's because I just woke up, but at first, I thought there was a lava-dungeon below the street.
It's a still from the upcoming Super Mario Bros Movie sequel, SMB 2: Bowser In The Fire Sea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIQ6o5zItrA

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Martytoof posted:

There's nothing worse than coming back from a small walkaround shoot and having a card full of technically well shot photos, but they're all ridiculously boring. I almost like it better when I have zero keepers because I was shooting +2EV accidentally or something.

The best thing you can do is get out of your comfort zone and shoot something you normally wouldn't shoot in a way you normally wouldn't shoot it. For example, you could try spend a day doing nothing but shooting while laying on your belly for a different perspective. Do you stop people on the street and ask to take their portrait? Try that. Maybe try your hand a macro if you don't do that a lot. Give yourself an assignment like "I'm only going to shoot red things". The possibilities are endless, just find something that'll work for you and mix things up.

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005

Martytoof posted:

There's a 100% chance that it's closed whenever I visit their website.

I don't think I've ever seen that site without the WE'RE CLOSED dialog.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3391326&userid=0&perpage=40

Really interesting discussion and article in Ask/Tell about the ultra-orthodox Jewish sect who own and staff B&H Photo. Maybe helps explain why you can't order that lens hood til Sunday.

Fun fact: they regard the state of Israel as an offence to God, and the Holocaust as just punishment from God for the Zionist movement of the 1890's.

Zegnar fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Apr 7, 2011

Fiannaiocht
Aug 21, 2008
I don't understand all the hype for HDR, infrared is where it's at.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Hai guyz I think this photo needs an invite.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

Dread Head posted:

Hai guyz I think this photo needs an invite.

Tease. How about you show us this awesome photo?

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Whitezombi posted:

Tease. How about you show us this awesome photo?

The photo is not all that bad (not saying it is really good ether) which is why I didn't post it.

Edit: looks worse larger

Dread Head fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Apr 7, 2011

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

DJCobol posted:

My flight gets into Newark pretty early, so I'll be there in the morning. Whats upstairs? The only I planned on purchasing while I'm there is a backpack. I need to make sure I get something big enough to hold all my crap (laptop and accessories, camera and lenses, ipad, cables and other crap, etc.) and want to see a bunch of different bags in person rather than buying sight unseen online.

The entirety of the camera department if I recall. Downstairs they have lights and telescopes, and a bunch of other stuff I don't remember. Check out their bags but wait until you get home to buy it online, unless you don't mind paying the extra tax.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Mannequin posted:

The entirety of the camera department if I recall. Downstairs they have lights and telescopes, and a bunch of other stuff I don't remember. Check out their bags but wait until you get home to buy it online, unless you don't mind paying the extra tax.

Cool, thanks for the info. I'll be buying the bag there since I have 5 more cities to visit before I get to go back home and I'm sick of using a t-shirt to wrap up the camera and wedging it between my ipad and all the other crap I have.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Unbelievable, but I found something even dorkier than a photo vest!

http://www.hammacher.com/Product/78937?refsku=79148&xsp=1&promo=xsells

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

For that guy, Christmas is every day of the year.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Does anyone else see David Duchovny? I just imagine him investigating a paranormal Christmas tree that eats cats.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Would it be possible to make a camera that takes 2 exposures at the same time? eg: when I'm panning, sometimes I miss a cool thing that would have owned at a fast shutter speed. My idea is to make it take both pictures at the same time. Would this require 2 sensors?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A5H posted:

Would it be possible to make a camera that takes 2 exposures at the same time? eg: when I'm panning, sometimes I miss a cool thing that would have owned at a fast shutter speed. My idea is to make it take both pictures at the same time. Would this require 2 sensors?

And two lenses.

Nothing some duck tape and hooking a single remote trigger up to two cameras can't solve.

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

xzzy posted:

And two lenses.

Nothing some duck tape and hooking a single remote trigger up to two cameras can't solve.

Hah! That would make an awesome attachment for a monopod. Or tripod for that matter.

Edit: Ok, I meant hooking up two cameras to 1 monopod/tripod. Having them pointing towards the same spot and firing off when they can.

Sevn fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Apr 8, 2011

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

Sevn posted:

Hah! That would make an awesome attachment for a monopod. Or tripod for that matter.

Edit: Ok, I meant hooking up two cameras to 1 monopod/tripod. Having them pointing towards the same spot and firing off when they can.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/707200-REG/Vanguard_MULTI_MOUNT_6_Multi_Mount_6_Tripod_Utility.html

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
What about the way cell phone cameras and some compacts do it, reading the sensor output sequentially, but with multiple passes or something like that? Like take 10 1/500 exposures to add together for a 1/60 main image, but for one of the middle passes crank the ISO up so it's not underexposed.

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Yeah, that is pretty cool. Can it align them vertically and closer together? And I was also thinking more about the shutters firing on burst, together. That way, it would be like he said, being able to take a picture at a faster shutter speed while also taking a picture at a slower shutter speed.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Aww it's not as good of an idea as I though. I thought you might be able to siphon off the first part of the exposure or something.

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

A5H posted:

Aww it's not as good of an idea as I though. I thought you might be able to siphon off the first part of the exposure or something.

But it is still fun to think about :D By the way, what are you taking pictures of where you are panning but want to have the faster shutter speed as well?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Sevn posted:

But it is still fun to think about :D By the way, what are you taking pictures of where you are panning but want to have the faster shutter speed as well?

CARS! A specific example from last season I have is panning and then a blow out. Obviously it would be cool to have the tyre exploding frozen, but I couldn't because I was panning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

A5H posted:

CARS! A specific example from last season I have is panning and then a blow out. Obviously it would be cool to have the tyre exploding frozen, but I couldn't because I was panning.

Good point. I do motorcycles every once and a while, but they never crash on my corner, and if they do it is only because the bike slides out from under them and I couldn't get an interesting shot anyways.

Ninja edit: I can keep panning if it is a low-side crash.