Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

MotoMind posted:

Frankly, I hate bicycles. I go just as fast as I would on my motorcycle when riding around the city, but can't wear full gear without looking like a dork and getting all sweaty.

I get where you're coming from, and I felt like that pretty much up until now. But since I live so close to work, and have to commute over hilly terrain, I really enjoy that nice buzz from getting a solid workout before stepping in the office, and I'm too lazy to wake up extra early to go to the gym. Plus, hey, free transportation.

Another interesting note is that bicycles have shifted my mental perception of comfort. My motorcycle is now my luxury vehicle (cushioned seat and suspension?!) while my bicycle is the hardcore vehicle. I no longer own a car.

Saga posted:

It's basically a race-style setup, which is not really what you want for commuting, but is what you get (or used to get) if you bought a road bike.

Yeah, I get that. It's a pretty funny corollary to people buying sportbikes for general street use when they'd be better off with a standard/supermoto/whatever. I'll look into raising the bars and adjusting the seat angle.

Z3n posted:

I commute on a Cannondale R700 roadbike. I flipped my steering stem to get the bars a bit more upright, and use clipless pedals, and pretty much love it.

I remember you mentioning this in other threads and planted the seed in my mind of bicycling to work and having a motorcycle for more leisure rides and fun stuff (and heavy rain). That way I get a nice balance of hooliganism and physical exercise beyond just lifting weights at the gym. Have to say it's working out pretty well so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

Yeah, I get that. It's a pretty funny corollary to people buying sportbikes for general street use when they'd be better off with a standard/supermoto/whatever. I'll look into raising the bars and adjusting the seat angle.

Just as an example, this is my touring frame as built up by the makers -

Riser bars, canti brakes with mountain levers and a positive (ie upward pointing) stem angle.

This is "some dudez" random build of the same frame as a commuter

This is mine - I don't use riser bars (though I may well do in future) - I use a very flat moustache/north road type bar and wrapped it. Total cost like $50 as the stem was free. My commute is like 25 miles each way and the only thing I'd change is just to give up with twee leather tape and put lock-on mountain grips for comfort. Tape and potholes don't mix.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Here's my commuter:

(sorry for the crap picture, the Atrix isn't the height of camera tech)

I've got platforms that flip around so you can ride clipless, in case I don't feel like dicking with the shoes. I'm with you on not wanting to get up to go to the gym, these days my routine is usually bicycle to work, gym with the wife and coworker at lunch, and then bicycle home. Keeps me in pretty decent shape. I'm about 5 miles to work as well but it's mostly downhill on the way there and mostly uphill on the way back, so it's a nice easy ride in the morning and a harder one at night.

Bonus...I stopped commuting on the bike because I figured I needed to replace the tires by now.

Might have pushed it a bit farther than I should have. :v:

And for what it's worth, I was considering modifying my bike for more comfort, but I've grown accustomed to it and now really like it as is. I'm rarely in the drops, though, usually on the top or over the brakes.

Fuzz, yeah, my rain vehicle is the motorcycle. I have the wife's truck too, but I'd rather ride or bicycle. :)

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Learning to bike before learning to ride a motorcycle may have helped a bit, but theres not a lot of actual riding style that translates going from 10-15 mph to 75-80. If anything, it may have slowed my willingness to believe in counter steering. I know it works of course, but applying it in reality and especially in emergency situations took a bit of work. Track stands on a bike definitely helped my low speed motorcycle skills though.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

harm0nic posted:

Any of you guys ridden the newer Urals or, for that matter, a bike with a sidecar? I trek to Austin on the SV at least once a month, and I kinda sorta wanna buy a Ural Retro to make the ride a bit more enjoyable.

There's a bunch of folks at ADVRider's hacks forum that have them, and there's always the Soviet Steeds forum as well.

Give this thread a read as it has a lot of great info in it. Pros and cons of Ural ownership.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

This is the same model bike as mine - a 1993 or so Trek 2100 complete with downtube shifters, and rear end-backwards carbon frame with aluminum forks:

All I've done to it so far is replace the tires+tubes and adjust the shifting mechanisms so that they don't slip randomly.

Also, my bottle holder is purple and the grip tape is this pattern, in glorious 90s aesthetics:

:ughh:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Saga posted:

My commute is like 25 miles each way
Well poo poo there goes my excuse for not riding a bicycle to work. Obviously I couldn't go pick up a bike this afternoon and start riding to work tomorrow...how long would it take to work up to these kind of distances?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Well poo poo there goes my excuse for not riding a bicycle to work. Obviously I couldn't go pick up a bike this afternoon and start riding to work tomorrow...how long would it take to work up to these kind of distances?

Depends on how long you want to take. That's my big concern with long distance bicycling...I did 12 miles or so for awhile (one way) and it took me a bit over an hour to start and by the end I could do it in about 40-45 minutes. I also have a tendency to push myself really, really hard though, it's rare that I get on a bicycle and just cruise. Personally, I'd just go out with a bicycle computer, flip it upside down, and ride ride ride. When you get back, check out your average speed, time, and distance, and expand from there. I've done a lot of bicycling over the years so 20-30 mile rides weren't a problem within a month or 2.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

NitroSpazzz posted:

How hilly is your commute? I could bust out my 5 mile commute if it were flat in like 15 minutes, but I have a few 200 foot hills and it really eats my momentum. I'm also in good physical shape but not good "bike shape" yet - I'm still feeling some pretty good burn on my rides because I've only been doing it a couple weeks.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

NitroSpazzz posted:

Well, I just decided to do it, built up that frame and started riding it, but then I do/did (pre-kids...) a lot of mountain biking. I figured since I run and could go out and do hours of off road stuff, I'd be fine doing 1:30-2:00 each way, and at worst I'd get blown out coming back and could always walk.

If you already mountain bike you really wouldn't have any trouble - you just need to adjust to the different way you ride a road bike. I basically only ride single speed off road, so going back to distances on a road bike took some getting used to. They're basically 95% about gear selection and finding an efficient pedal action/cadence (and all that poo poo that you can read about on Sheldon Brown he of blessed memory's website).

That said, the distance isn't actually a problem per se. With a road frame and skinny tyres your rolling resistance is really low, so you can cruise along on the flat just ticking over. It's when you throw in climbs that bigger distances can get difficult, because suddenly you get proper resistance. If I had to guess, for anything over 10 miles or so each way with some climbs thrown in, you'll really start to feel it if you aren't using skinny road bike tyres. Hence fat slicks and upright bars get stuck on "town" bikes, not tourers or fancy road frames.

My route has some decent little climbs on it unfortunately and I'm usually hauling quite heavy panniers. It gets easier once you know the route and your bike, like Z3n said. Also, the middle of my commute is back roads in a nice rural bit of the country, so even though I don't actually like road riding at all, it's actually very pleasant to be out there on a nice morning saying hello tree, hello flower, hello pony etc.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Maybe I'll stick to picking up a mountain bike and riding off road for now then. I was in decent shape until I got sick last summer, now I'm in pretty lovely shape and still recovering. Also pretty drat hilly around here so I'll stick to powered transportation for now.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Saga posted:

FWB, there's no law except the law of bike snobs that says you have to put up with that.

It's basically a race-style setup, which is not really what you want for commuting, but is what you get (or used to get) if you bought a road bike. I'm sure someone in a flat cap and too much lycra will be along in a minute to explain how superior the bio-mechanics of the classic 10-speed are to a city bike, but it's sort of irrelevant when you're going 5 miles across town to work, not trying to beat the rest of Club Sportif de Peoria to the local Starbucks win the Tour de France.

With that in mind, replace the stem with something as cheap as possible that's shorter and has a higher angle and mount it as far up the steerer as you can (for my touring frame, I stuck on a stem that came from an ancient Trek MTB). Get a set of flat or riser bars and mountain-type levers that will work with your brakes. Change the seat angle by the seatpost adjusters so that the seat isn't pushing you forward onto the bars. I also recommend one of these:

http://www.brooksengland.com/en/Shop_ProductPage.aspx?cat=saddles+-+city+%26+heavy+duty&prod=B66

The most comfy saddle ever. You may scoff, but do 50 miles on it and you'll see the light. Also, you'll be able to feel your butt. Used ones are usually available on ebay at a discount, and they're actually not that much heavier than a touring or commuter sized foam/plastic saddle.

e: basically, you should be able to end up with something you sit on comfortably so you aren't spending your commute bent over the drops. 97% of the pace with 30% of the discomfort.

Ah thank god for the voice of reason! I was just talking to my dad about this on the phone. I've got a Specialized Sirrus Elite because it came very well reviewed (and I got it relatively cheap off Gumtree) but goddamn is it uncomfortable. I already bought a wide soft seat for it but the geometry is terrible. I'm used to my sit-up-and-beg motorbike. I'm seriously considering selling it and buying a Dutch bike like a Batavus or something (step through frame, 3-speed, integral lock, solid steel, etc..) though they ain't cheap and I doubt I'd be able to look my bike snob sister in the eye again. After reading what you've said though, I think I'll give modifying the Sirrus a go. I'm the first to admit I'm not hardcore, my core is very soft and appreciates not being bruised.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I'd just add that comfort is obviously a really personal thing. I like my seat angled forward slightly so I can put my weight back on my seat when I pedal. I was fully expecting my bike to be borderline unlivable but after a week or 2 of commuting on it I found that I really prefered the seating position.

This should be taken with a grain of salt though, because, again, I'm commuting relatively short distances, and I like to go fast while I commute.

Also, I wear bicycle shorts under a thick pair of basketball shorts, and that makes any distance riding really comfortable. gently caress wearing spandex, that poo poo is for posers. And nothing is better than blowing by a bunch of guys all geared up for the tour de france out in the middle of nowhere in a tshirt and basketball shorts. :v:

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

yeah, my rain vehicle is [my] motorcycle.

Needs to be the new CA tagline.

def snow leppard
Sep 12, 2010

Man, I got rusty over the winter. The other day I left my turn signal on twice, and today I stalled it at the front of a light. Tried to start in second gear.:doh: I felt all :cool: being one of the first motorcycles of the year in a sea of cagers, but I rode away from that one with my head hung in shame.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Z3n posted:

I'd just add that comfort is obviously a really personal thing.

Yes. Comfort and style.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Clank posted:

Man, I got rusty over the winter. The other day I left my turn signal on twice, and today I stalled it at the front of a light. Tried to start in second gear.:doh: I felt all :cool: being one of the first motorcycles of the year in a sea of cagers, but I rode away from that one with my head hung in shame.

I always appreciated the PSA's in Ontario (highway signs etc) around spring that reminded car drivers to look out for motorbikes, and reminders to riders to take it easy, you're probably a bit rusty after 5-6 months out of the saddle.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
I just realized I haven't posted in this forum in like 6 months cause I'm now "an entrepreneur" (read unemployed) and I wrecked both my bieks so my friend took them from me for being a bad owner but luckily he lent me his R1 to ride around on.

Luckily we've almost fixed the 929. Just need to cut the pipe. And possibly get turn signals. And a brake reservoir. And mirrors... And tires...

I miss anything round these parts recently?

A Duck!
Apr 22, 2003

I rode a friend's brand new 2011 Ducati 848 Evo Dark this afternoon. God drat what a nice bike. It's possibly the only stock bike (especially Ducati) I've ever ridden that I didn't think that I needed to change a drat thing.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

pr0zac posted:

I just realized I haven't posted in this forum in like 6 months cause I'm now "an entrepreneur" (read unemployed) and I wrecked both my bieks so my friend took them from me for being a bad owner but luckily he lent me his R1 to ride around on.

Luckily we've almost fixed the 929. Just need to cut the pipe. And possibly get turn signals. And a brake reservoir. And mirrors... And tires...

I miss anything round these parts recently?

I went racing, plasticsun saw some butterflies, tsaven got banned.

Yaknow, the usual.

I always wanted a streetfighter 929. And I need to find that road when I get the KTM...I know it's somewhere in the bay.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Linedance posted:

Ah thank god for the voice of reason! I was just talking to my dad about this on the phone. I've got a Specialized Sirrus Elite because it came very well reviewed (and I got it relatively cheap off Gumtree) but goddamn is it uncomfortable. I already bought a wide soft seat for it but the geometry is terrible. I'm used to my sit-up-and-beg motorbike. I'm seriously considering selling it and buying a Dutch bike like a Batavus or something (step through frame, 3-speed, integral lock, solid steel, etc..) though they ain't cheap and I doubt I'd be able to look my bike snob sister in the eye again. After reading what you've said though, I think I'll give modifying the Sirrus a go. I'm the first to admit I'm not hardcore, my core is very soft and appreciates not being bruised.

A brooks saddle with springs, set up at the right angle (so your weight is in the broad bit of the saddle, is going to be much more comfy than any foam saddle. It doesn't look like it is, but it is. Then set up the bars so you can keep weight in the saddle and your back fairly straight. Job's a good 'un.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Z3n posted:

And I need to find that road when I get the KTM...I know it's somewhere in the bay.

Lemme know when you come up. I've finally got the DRZ sorted, I'll take you out there. Its closer to Sac than the bay though.

Edit: Catching up on all the threads, seems Jack the Smack just disappeared one day too. Interesting...

pr0zac fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 8, 2011

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

pr0zac posted:

Lemme know when you come up. I've finally got the DRZ sorted, I'll take you out there. Its closer to Sac than the bay though.

Edit: Catching up on all the threads, seems Jack the Smack just disappeared one day too. Interesting...

That'd be awesome. It's likely I'll be riding through at the end of this month, start of the next month. Will you be around?

Jack the Smack went mostly incognito after his dumping the passenger thread on BARF. Haven't seen him around much since.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Z3n posted:

That'd be awesome. It's likely I'll be riding through at the end of this month, start of the next month. Will you be around?

Jack the Smack went mostly incognito after his dumping the passenger thread on BARF. Haven't seen him around much since.

Yeah, will likely have moved back to the city by that point and out of the hellhole that is the south bay. Should definitely meet up, been doing way too much commuting and city (suburb) bombing the last few months.

I've got a bunch of friends up around Sac who know the area up there really well. I personally prefer it to Skyline and all the usual roads down in the bay. More variation, less squids. Also, theres the bridge from XXX.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

pr0zac posted:

Yeah, will likely have moved back to the city by that point and out of the hellhole that is the south bay. Should definitely meet up, been doing way too much commuting and city (suburb) bombing the last few months.

I've got a bunch of friends up around Sac who know the area up there really well. I personally prefer it to Skyline and all the usual roads down in the bay. More variation, less squids. Also, theres the bridge from XXX.

Awesome. I know that me and another friend with a Husky are supposed to bomb through SF, but I'd totally be down to meet up in the Sac area for some riding. Or we could head out there, I dunno what the best option is.

I'll send you a message when I know what the schedule will be.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Just did a 285-mile ride this past Friday. I took the ferry from Edmonds to Kingston, then rode out to do the 112 > 113 > 101 loop.
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...84a4af1d945a409

Took a few pictures along the way.

On the ferry from Edmonds to Kingston. Saw a poster for a stage performance of 101 Dalmatians.

Those dogs don't look quite-

:stare: Jesus Christ.

Rolled over 10,000 miles just after the ferry! Still got 270 miles to go.

Lake Crescent is insanely beautiful, especially in the spring when no one else is around. Took the opportunity to roll my bike onto the dock.

Boot shot for Ola. :thumbsup:

Pretty good ride, roads were still damp or dirty in some areas. It was around the mid-50's the whole time, too. I think I'll get out to the cascades next ride.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Nice! The marks on the dock made it look like you'd dragged the bike sideways out there for the shot. That would be a good option for me, I would have been so nervous of an accidental clutch release and subsequent splash. A very sad, very wet person in full motorcycling gear but with no motorcycle has to make a difficult phone call.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I was definitely a bit nervous rolling it out there. I was imagining the horror carelessly rolling the bike too far one way or the other, then watching it flip off the edge and sinking to the bottom.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

It was worth it for the shot, though! My first thought was that it looked like you did an action movie sequence of sliding to a stop sideways with locked up brakes, just before pulling out a cigarette and lighting it off the burning debris flying from whatever you just exploded.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Ungh this doesn't help my ducati lust at all, great shots slim pickens.

A monster is my dream bike :sigh:

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

SlightlyMadman posted:

It was worth it for the shot, though! My first thought was that it looked like you did an action movie sequence of sliding to a stop sideways with locked up brakes, just before pulling out a cigarette and lighting it off the burning debris flying from whatever you just exploded.

This is what happend, right Slim? Never tells us differently if it isn't.

Nice trip. :)

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Uh, yeah! Exactly what happened! Not from people pulling a picnic table around on the dock, it was all me. :blush:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I'm pretty sure it was this thread, but for the future: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0FnDyZviJQ

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

nsaP posted:

I'm pretty sure it was this thread, but for the future: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0FnDyZviJQ

We have too much poo poo in the garage/driveway so I have to do this a couple times a week. Works great and I haven't managed to break a kickstand yet. This will dig a hole in parking lots though.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I saw an old ZX-9R while I was out running an errand and I think I liked kawis designs better back then than now (minus the odd paint).

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

lancemantis posted:

I saw an old ZX-9R while I was out running an errand and I think I liked kawis designs better back then than now (minus the odd paint).

Agreed, at least with the new Kawi sportbikes. They just dont do anything for me, the old ones were sweet. The decline started with the platypus edition ZX6R.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

pr0zac posted:

Mines Rd.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

MotoMind posted:

Mines Rd.

Because you know what makes a decent road better? INVISIBLE GRAVEL TRAPS.

Seriously, gently caress that road. It'd be fine on a sumo, but I rode my 929 up there once and it was fast and sketchy as hell.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Z3n posted:

Because you know what makes a decent road better? INVISIBLE GRAVEL TRAPS.

Seriously, gently caress that road. It'd be fine on a sumo, but I rode my 929 up there once and it was fast and sketchy as hell.

I fail to see a problem with any of this. God bless a paved road where a TW200 can lead a pack of sportbikers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I know I can't be the only one who wants this to wear over my gear on a busy Sunday drive.

http://www.customink.com/designs/nick/mgv0-000h-zavv/hotlink?pc=HL-46119&cm_mmc=hotlink-_-1-_-Body_txt-_-button1