Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I just played ME1 and 2 right after each other for the first time. The driving in ME1 isn't hard to control it's just boring as poo poo and felt like them padding out the game by adding boring sequences for you to hold the forward button in. I finished ME1 in about 13 hours and it still felt padded, where ME2 felt like a good length at 30 hours. ME1 had worse combat as well, and the stupid vehicle sniping didn't help.

I enjoyed ME1 while playing it but after ME2 would not revisit it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Mu Zeta posted:

Not many PC games even look as good as Uncharted 2 so I don't see consoles to blame for holding back graphics.

Uncharted 2 looks really good, but I honestly still feel like Crysis with a good custom config set a bar that practically nothing has touched and it'll run silky smooth on fairly outdated hardware. There are other games that are technically better in one or two areas (and plenty of games with better overall art direction), but that game still floors me with how good it looks on the whole. It kills me to see how many console ports look so much worse while running like poo poo on newer hardware.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.
Re, Mass Effect 1 vs 2: Both have their good and bad points. ME1 is more like a shooter-RPG hybrid, while ME2 is pretty much a third-person shooter with RPG dialogue trees. In terms of story scope, ME1 is more Babylon 5 "we're fighting an ancient galactic enemy" while ME2 is more comparable to something like Farscape, where you've got a crew of misfits visiting shady ports of call and trying to unravel a pretty intriguing mystery. I recommend playing both - at the very least, ME1 is only like 10-12 hours if you skip the forgettable side quests.

Mu Zeta posted:

Not many PC games even look as good as Uncharted 2 so I don't see consoles to blame for holding back graphics.

Uncharted 2 runs at a locked 30 FPS at a native resolution of 1280x720 with 2x MSAA, which is laughable by PC game standards, and suffers from lo-res textures that you probably won't notice because you're sitting far away from your HDTV. Look at Uncharted 2 up close and then compare it to, say, Crysis on High settings at 1080p with 4x AA (or AMD's morphological AA) and you'll see a world of difference.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Zedd posted:

Some do yes, but anything Biotic is awesome in the first game and don't tell me that ragdolling 10 dudes at once and shooting them in the balls isn't fun. ME1biotics, best biotics.
This is the truth. ME1 biotics were too good if anything, especially late game.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

pik_d posted:

Why does this say "Unreal Engine 3"? Is UE3 getting a major update or what?
Already happened, the UDK updated the friday after that initial trailer from Epic with the Shadowrun looking dude.
http://www.udk.com/news-beta-mar2011

Lacunaa
Mar 26, 2010
I actually like ME1 more than the second one. Sure ME2 basicly improved on anything but the story was a lot more engaging in the original imo. ME2 is more a sort of tv series with only a few chapters that actually advance the storyline. Besides in the first game you get to walk in the praesidium, first time I saw that must be one of my favourite gaming moments.

In any case, this discussion always come back after a few weeks and every time opinions are very different. Might as well play the game yourself to form an opinion of your own :).

Ravenger
Sep 20, 2004
I too prefer ME1.

The story is more epic in ME1 - the second is basically The Blues Brothers - 'We're putting the band back together', and is 90% companion quests.

They removed the mako in ME2, which I really liked on the PC due to the revamped controls, and instead of improving the planetary exploration and bases they just removed them altogether,

The second game may be more slick, but all the missions seem to follow the same template, and you always know you're going into combat because you'll walk into a room or open area with loads of waist high boxes.

I really enjoyed it the first time through, but during a second playthrough the faults become all too apparent and I just couldn't continue playing it.

Dr_Fever
Apr 28, 2008
It always amazes me that people complain so loudly about the Mako sequences in ME1, but so few people seem to be bothered by resource scanning :negative: and gassing up your ship in ME2. Seriously so very tedious.

On the "consoles are holding PC games back!" thing - this is absolutely true, but as a guy with kids and a mortgage, it sure is nice to not feel like I have to upgrade my rig every 18 months just to keep up. I built a cheap AMD/GTX 460 system a couple of months ago that should last me AT LEAST until the next-gen consoles hit, and even then it will probably only need a graphics upgrade. And it replaced a 5-year-old box that could still run everything on middle of the road settings. I'm okay with slightly 'meh' graphics if it means I get that kind of life out of my parts.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Devil Wears Wings posted:

Uncharted 2 runs at a locked 30 FPS at a native resolution of 1280x720 with 2x MSAA, which is laughable by PC game standards, and suffers from lo-res textures that you probably won't notice because you're sitting far away from your HDTV. Look at Uncharted 2 up close and then compare it to, say, Crysis on High settings at 1080p with 4x AA (or AMD's morphological AA) and you'll see a world of difference.

Uncharted textures look fine closeup or far away mainly because they art directed every inch of that game and they have some insanely talented artists. Very few games impressed me on pc or consoles as much as uncharted 2 did. I wish they were not a sony studio because I would have loved to see a pc port of uncharted. :smith:

ps: can you add the irc channel to the op by any chance? There is a good amount of goons there now. :3: #pcgaming at irc.synirc.net

:siren: edit: The Witcher is $5 at D2D today only! http://www.direct2drive.com/6763/product/Buy-The-Witcher:-Enhanced-Edition-Director%27s-Cut-Download

keyframe fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Apr 6, 2011

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

keyframe posted:

Uncharted textures look fine closeup or far away mainly because they art directed every inch of that game and they have some insanely talented artists. Very few games impressed me on pc or consoles as much as uncharted 2 did. I wish they were not a sony studio because I would have loved to see a pc port of uncharted. :smith:

Well, yeah, art direction obviously trumps technical doodads every time. But if you want to pull that line, then you could make a convincing argument that games like Okami on the Wii, Yoshi's Island on the SNES, and even indie stuff like Yume Nikki are "better looking" than the starkly ultra-realistic style of games like Uncharted and Crysis.

Comparing the two purely on a technical level, however, Uncharted 2 is years behind where modern PC games are at.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Dr_Fever posted:

It always amazes me that people complain so loudly about the Mako sequences in ME1, but so few people seem to be bothered by resource scanning and gassing up your ship in ME2. Seriously so very tedious.
I really wish you could delegate that kind of poo poo. I mean you are the captain. Sorry Thane, meditation time is over. You're a good shot, sit your rear end behind that mining console and let loose the probes of hell.

I just cheated myself resources on subsequent playthroughs. It made the game a lot more fun; there are still tons of barriers to unlocking research, mining is almost completely redundant.

Is it true that Bioware had intended all the recruitment missions to be available from the start, but were limited by the 360 approval rules [no mandatory install allowed] and DVD format?

Relatedly, I wonder if using a better video codec would've helped. They used Bink, a beautiful combination of gigantic filesize and terrible quality. The videos amount to 2GB in total, 450MB of which are loading screens. :v:

Bats
Sep 6, 2003

With great power comes great responsiblity...TO ROCK OUT!
Yes, come join us on IRC. We can have silly rants and raves in real time!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Spatial posted:

I really wish you could delegate that kind of poo poo. I mean you are the captain. Sorry Thane, meditation time is over. You're a good shot, sit your rear end behind that mining console and let loose the probes of hell.

I just cheated myself resources on subsequent playthroughs. It made the game a lot more fun; there are still tons of barriers to unlocking research, mining is almost completely redundant.

Is it true that Bioware had intended all the recruitment missions to be available from the start, but were limited by the 360 approval rules [no mandatory install allowed] and DVD format?

Relatedly, I wonder if using a better video codec would've helped. They used Bink, a beautiful combination of gigantic filesize and terrible quality. The videos amount to 2GB in total, 450MB of which are loading screens. :v:

There's apparently dialog for having one of the final characters you unlock in earlier missions, so yeah, does appear that the mission structure was supposed to be different.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
To the people who use high-end mice - what do you think about higher report rates?

I got a new Logitech G500 a few days ago, and I've been having trouble getting used to it. The cursor just didn't seem to move right. It wouldn't stop moving quite when I thought it would. I just dropped the report rate from 500 hz to a more standard 125 hz, and now it's like I suddenly know how to use the thing. I can whip that cursor all over the screen and hit my target every time.

This is especially weird because back in The Day I used to 'overclock' my PS2 mouse to a report rate of 200 hz. That seemed like a huge improvement. Of course, that was a mouse with a ball in it, rather than a laser beam. That probably makes a difference.

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

I don't think you've been paying attention

Maxwell Adams posted:

To the people who use high-end mice - what do you think about higher report rates?

I got a new Logitech G500 a few days ago, and I've been having trouble getting used to it. The cursor just didn't seem to move right. It wouldn't stop moving quite when I thought it would. I just dropped the report rate from 500 hz to a more standard 125 hz, and now it's like I suddenly know how to use the thing. I can whip that cursor all over the screen and hit my target every time.

This is especially weird because back in The Day I used to 'overclock' my PS2 mouse to a report rate of 200 hz. That seemed like a huge improvement. Of course, that was a mouse with a ball in it, rather than a laser beam. That probably makes a difference.

I love my Logitech G9 (is that high end? I don't even know) and I didn't change a thing about it. I don't even know if/how one changes the report rate on it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Maxwell Adams posted:

It takes some adjusting to but once you get used to it higher report rates are (overall) noticeably more accurate.

There are diminishing returns once you get past a certain point, though. If you aren't mostly playing multiplayer RTS or FPS I wouldn't worry about it too much.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

Amrosorma posted:

I love my Logitech G9 (is that high end? I don't even know) and I didn't change a thing about it. I don't even know if/how one changes the report rate on it.
I have a G9 too and I love it so much. I was lucky to get a deal on it.

lovely thing: the cord will get frayed and worn quickly if it rubs against the edge of a desk or what have you.

Also, mine is doing this retarded thing where it makes the USB disconnect sound, lights go out, totally unresponsive. Then the USB device connected sound comes on, and it turns back on. Just started doing it recently. Totally at random. No one has ANY idea how to fix that.

I suppose it's time for a new one anyway.

e: it's the loving USB cord. Something is hosed up right where it attaches to the mouse body proper. If I "bend" the cord left and right, basically wiggle it around, I can make the mouse turn off completely. As in, no power, disconnected. Whenever it rights itself, it turns back on. Bizarre.

Jesus.

crestfallen fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Apr 7, 2011

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years

crestfallen posted:

e: it's the loving USB cord. Something is hosed up right where it attaches to the mouse body proper. If I "bend" the cord left and right, basically wiggle it around, I can make the mouse turn off completely. As in, no power, disconnected. Whenever it rights itself, it turns back on. Bizarre.

Jesus.

Happened to my first G500. I'm on my 3rd one now. First one had the cord thing, 2nd one had the mouse wheel get stuck and very hard to move - I contacted logitech on this one and they eventually sent me a new one in a box :)

NeerWas
Dec 13, 2004

Everyday I'm shufflin'.
Speaking of connectivity issues, I just got a RAT 9 and I thought having two hot-swappable batteries instead of the plug-charge thing was going to be retarded but it actually rules. Instead of having to have a wired mouse half of the time I just keep the extra battery in the charger.

Ravenger
Sep 20, 2004

Fil5000 posted:

There's apparently dialog for having one of the final characters you unlock in earlier missions, so yeah, does appear that the mission structure was supposed to be different.

It's because of disc space. The 360 version is split over two discs, so to prevent you having to swap the discs multiple times they made it so that half the crew were only available in the second half of the game, which is all on the second disc.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
That's why I love PC gaming:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSGr-7NqUbI

Installing a CPU cooler (Mugen 2) that's big, sharp and heavy enough to kill a person. And I didn't cut myself even once. :smugdog:

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

Hungry Gerbil posted:

Installing a CPU cooler (Mugen 2) that's big, sharp and heavy enough to kill a person. And I didn't cut myself even once. :smugdog:
So how much better does that cool than stock?

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
From around 40/70 °C to 30/55 °C (idle/load). The most important thing to me is that it's very quiet though. The new fan is pretty large.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Ravenger posted:

It's because of disc space. The 360 version is split over two discs, so to prevent you having to swap the discs multiple times they made it so that half the crew were only available in the second half of the game, which is all on the second disc.

Yeah, I realise - I was answering Spatial's question about whether or not the 360 approval rules affected the game's eventual final build.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Hungry Gerbil posted:

Jesus Christ that thing is huge. How does it not cause unnecessary flex on your motherboard? :psyduck:

I switched to a self contained liquid cooling system and never looked back. Whisper quiet and without the fear of cutting yourself trying to install it.

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.

kimcicle posted:

I switched to a self contained liquid cooling system and never looked back. Whisper quiet and without the fear of cutting yourself trying to install it.

You guys are pansies. back in my day you weren't a pc gamer unless you had cuts all over your hands from the terrible case designs slicing you.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
It's the blood sacrifice. You must pay the PC gods.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

averox posted:

It's the blood sacrifice. You must pay the PC gods.

And also mutter the following litany while pulling the lever down that locks the processor in place:

"Oh god please don't snap, please don't snap, this feels like I'm pushing it too hard, please don't snap."

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Okay, so I finally got a DVI cable in so I can use aspect ratio scaling with my HD4850. It won't let me choose a scaling option though unless I set my res to less than maximum. Switching the res for 10 seconds to change that isn't a big deal, but right when I switch back to 1080p, it changes back to stretching. So now I can't maintain aspect ratio on older games unless I set my desktop res to below maximum every time I want to play them. Any ideas?

EDIT: Nevermind, once it launches a game in a low 4:3 res, it letterboxes it, ATi just has a stupid way of showing it in Catalyst. :downs:

EDIT2: Pillarbox. I'm stupid today.

A Fancy 400 lbs fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Apr 7, 2011

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot

kimcicle posted:

Jesus Christ that thing is huge. How does it not cause unnecessary flex on your motherboard? :psyduck:

Well, let's say I don't need to (= can't) close the side panel on my case anymore. But the cooler has a pretty big backplate with soft padding so it's attached nicely and won't put too much strain on the motherboard.

Edit: I'm playing Aion right now and the CPU temperature is at only 50 ^C. Nice.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
I'm curious, what's your CPU? I was going to upgrade this spring since my E8400 system is three years old this week. But I'm going to wait until Bulldozer is released before I make my decision. I'm still hoping a fool's hope that AMD makes a comeback.

And as for that update to the UDK, don't expect to see that level of graphical detail on PC until new consoles are released unless the game is PC exclusive. That level of graphical detail would probably bring my GTX 460 to its knees anyway. Speaking of graphics, I'm thinking of getting Crysis 2 but is it worth $60 or should I wait for a price drop?

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

I don't think you've been paying attention

spasticColon posted:

And as for that update to the UDK, don't expect to see that level of graphical detail on PC until new consoles are released unless the game is PC exclusive. That level of graphical detail would probably bring my GTX 460 to its knees anyway.

Heh, that game was running in real time with three GTX 580s in SLI. That's what's hindering development, not evil-dumb-babby-consoles.

quote:

Speaking of graphics, I'm thinking of getting Crysis 2 but is it worth $60 or should I wait for a price drop?

If you think you would really enjoy Call of Duty 2142, it's worth $60.

I'm waiting until the game gets mod support (or drops under $20). I don't ever buy games for the single player experiences at full price unless it's something seriously awesome.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Amrosorma posted:

Heh, that game was running in real time with three GTX 580s in SLI. That's what's hindering development, not evil-dumb-babby-consoles.

If you think you would really enjoy Call of Duty 2142, it's worth $60.

I'm waiting until the game gets mod support (or drops under $20). I don't ever buy games for the single player experiences at full price unless it's something seriously awesome.

Multiplayer might not be worth the full 60 but it's good.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I'm an owner of a PS3 and Little Big Planet 2 and love the hell out of that game, but I wasn't aware people were so loving adament on their console choice when LBP2 Facebook page posted a question for its fans:

Here are some wonderful comments:

There's plenty more but most of the "No" votes are just silly.

Cheezymadman
Mar 29, 2010

by Fistgrrl
Apparently the PC got leapfrogged by a five year old console in the graphics department and no one told me.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot

spasticColon posted:

I'm curious, what's your CPU? I was going to upgrade this spring since my E8400 system is three years old this week. But I'm going to wait until Bulldozer is released before I make my decision. I'm still hoping a fool's hope that AMD makes a comeback.

Intel Core i5 750 2.66GHz

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Ularg posted:

I'm an owner of a PS3 and Little Big Planet 2 and love the hell out of that game, but I wasn't aware people were so loving adament on their console choice when LBP2 Facebook page posted a question for its fans:

Here are some wonderful comments:

There's plenty more but most of the "No" votes are just silly.

"It'd ruin the exclusivity"? What does that even mean?

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Fil5000 posted:

Stupid kiddie console warriors who define themselves by their chosen gaming platform.

See also: The collective Internet meltdown when Final Fantasy 13 went multi-platform.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

Fil5000 posted:

Well, the game is exclusive to the PS3 and is a reason to buy a PS3 over getting a PC. Porting the game over to the PC would be another reason to just get a gaming computer and not a PS3. :v:

Or more likely, humanity continues to show off how moronic it's becoming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Fil5000 posted:

Well you see, now only owners of the Sony™ Playstation 3™ HD Multimedia Entertainment Platform™ can play LittleBigPlanet 2™; By making a PC version of LittleBigPlanet 2™ you would thus loose the exclusive release status that the game currently has on the Playstation 3™ Platform™

Phrased like this because I have seen people actual argument stuff like that

• Locked thread