Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Robert Patrick posted:

it's almost like no-one outside of America cares about American sports

I get your point, but it's still funny when the guy is inescapable in my own country.

Plus, he's personally really popular in Asia (specifically China). The NBA also has a strong presence in countries like Australia, Brazil, and India, so it's not like he's soley an American phenomenon. The league are going to make a big push into Europe too, so we'll see how that works out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

T. Finn posted:

late but this is the best thing itt

TomSellek
Jan 31, 2008
Arrogant, dumb, meat headed and stubborn. Please disregard and move on.

Robert Patrick posted:

The NBA is very popular in continental Europe

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Robert Patrick posted:

In fairness, most people know who LeBron James is.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Is he that guy with HIV?

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

TyChan posted:

I get your point, but it's still funny when the guy is inescapable in my own country.

Plus, he's personally really popular in Asia (specifically China). The NBA also has a strong presence in countries like Australia, Brazil, and India, so it's not like he's soley an American phenomenon. The league are going to make a big push into Europe too, so we'll see how that works out.

Wait what?

Sport popularity in Australia goes:

AFL = NRL > Rugby = Cricket = Football > Netball = Basketball

The interest in basketball here is tiny to the point of it getting similar crowds to netball.

TomSellek
Jan 31, 2008
Could you break down the popularity of sports in other countries too? How about New Zealand?

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Byolante posted:

Wait what?

Sport popularity in Australia goes:

AFL = NRL > Rugby = Cricket = Football > Netball = Basketball

The interest in basketball here is tiny to the point of it getting similar crowds to netball.

Is that interest in domestic basketball or NBA?

Maybe the article I read was blowing smoke.

Fine. I'm all wrong. No one watches basketball except Americans.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
^^^ Edit: I can't answer any other country but basketball as a whole in australia had a media presence made up entirely of a 30 minute magazine show on a sunday morning for 2 years recently. NBA games are shown on FTA tv at about 10am in the morning iirc.

TomSellek posted:

Could you break down the popularity of sports in other countries too? How about New Zealand?

New Zealand is the same as Australia but replace AFL with competitive sheep loving.

Byolante fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Apr 8, 2011

delicious beef
Feb 5, 2006

:allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears:

TyChan posted:

Is that interest in domestic basketball or NBA?

Maybe the article I read was blowing smoke.

Fine. I'm all wrong. No one watches basketball except Americans.

It's the number 2 or 3 sport in a lot of continental Europe, but it's entirely a minority sport in Britain - the NBA is probably quite a bit less popular than the NFL.

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle
the real tragedy is that your average Australian has never even heard of one of their greatest modern sportsmen, Luke Schenscher

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle

delicious beef posted:

It's the number 2 or 3 sport in a lot of continental Europe, but it's entirely a minority sport in Britain - the NBA is probably quite a bit less popular than the NFL.

The interesting thing is that roughly as many people in the UK play basketball as they do rugby, it's more popular in that sense than tennis, cricket etc by a long long way - it's just that nobody gives a poo poo about the professional game here or in the NBA where it's actually of a good standard.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Iggy Pop Barker posted:

The interesting thing is that roughly as many people in the UK play basketball as they do rugby, it's more popular in that sense than tennis, cricket etc by a long long way - it's just that nobody gives a poo poo about the professional game here or in the NBA where it's actually of a good standard.

Well why would you want to play rugby anyway, you'd have to spend time with utter utter scum and might get hurt too! Plus no one knows the rules, basketball is simple and fun.

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle

Ras Het posted:

Well why would you want to play rugby anyway, you'd have to spend time with utter utter scum and might get hurt too! Plus no one knows the rules, basketball is simple and fun.

this is entirely correct. Rugby is the worst sport enjoyed by the worst people, basketball owns. Problem is that the Worst People are good at getting sponsorship and general investment in the sport they like, one which literally got invented because toffs started :qq:ing about poors in Preston, Blackburn etc taking up football.

delicious beef
Feb 5, 2006

:allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears:

Iggy Pop Barker posted:

Yeah, this is true. I suspect this is mostly a kit/equipment thing - basketball hoops are everywhere, especially in cities, and all you need after that is a ball, not even a racquet each, never mind all the bullshit required for cricket. It's interesting that media coverage hasn't really caught up with people playing, maybe cricket and rugby just hold a lot of dominance over scheduling.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

TomSellek posted:

rugby union, rugby league, cricket, netball, football, and there's like one random kiwi in the baseball minor leagues hth

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

delicious beef posted:

Yeah, this is true. I suspect this is mostly a kit/equipment thing - basketball hoops are everywhere, especially in cities, and all you need after that is a ball, not even a racquet each, never mind all the bullshit required for cricket. It's interesting that media coverage hasn't really caught up with people playing, maybe cricket and rugby just hold a lot of dominance over scheduling.

I would say the lack of TV coverage is down to the sheer amount of games that take place. Terrestrial channels couldn't go near it in any meaningful way. ESPN do their bit, but are relatively new and I don't know what their subscription figures are. American Football is much easier to cover as it only last from September to January in terms of the regular season and teams only play once a week. Also, most of the games are on at reasonable times in the UK, unlike basketball.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

These are bad posts and all, but they arent about football and they arent from other websites. I think you guys are bending the rules

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Mickolution posted:

I know the name but I wouldn't exactly know what he looks like or what sport he plays.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/new...icle721114.html

mirrorfootball posted:

Chelsea target Neymar sent off for masked celebration.

Brazilian star Neymar, who last week accused Scotland fans of racism, was sent off for putting on a mask during a goal celebration.

Neymar scored a superb solo goal in Santos’ 3-2 win over Chile’s Colo Colo in the Copa Libertadores, beating two defenders and then chipping over the goalkeeper.

But he then pulled on a paper face mask of himself thrown on by a fan and received his second yellow card of the match.

Ahahaha wtf.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Mickolution posted:

never heard of the oval office

Turtle Soup
Mar 6, 2006

in the San Siro

Iggy Pop Barker posted:

this is entirely correct. Rugby is the worst sport enjoyed by the worst people, basketball owns. Problem is that the Worst People are good at getting sponsorship and general investment in the sport they like, one which literally got invented because toffs started :qq:ing about poors in Preston, Blackburn etc taking up football.

Rugby might be a posh sport in the south but it's not true in the north. At least where I've lived a lot of people follow the super league. Places like Wigan are similar that's why their football team is a waste of space.

Pissflaps posted:

never heard of the oval office

Why the gently caress has his first name got two capitals?

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Turtle Soup posted:

Rugby might be a posh sport in the south but it's not true in the north. At least where I've lived a lot of people follow the super league. Places like Wigan are similar that's why their football team is a waste of space.

That's Rugby League, though. Rugby Union is for toffs.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم
I hate all rugby just to be safe also stop talking about it itt, cheers

heliovich
Nov 6, 2007
have a golden manbaby
People saying Rugby Union is for toffs clearly haven't ever been to Wales (not that you'd want to).

edit; just seen above post, ignore this poo poo and continue posting examples of terrible internet posts thanks

heliovich fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Apr 8, 2011

Quasimango
Mar 10, 2011

God damn you.
If you seriously think basketball is an American only sport, then jesus christ, I don't know what...

A handy guide:

American football: America
Baseball: America, some parts of East Asia, Latin America
Hockey: America and Canada
Basketball: Literally the entire world aside from the cricket playing countries.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
No one gives a gently caress about Basketball in England.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Quasimango posted:

Hockey: America and Canada

You mean ice hockey.

Quasimango
Mar 10, 2011

God damn you.
I did, my apologies.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

c0burn posted:

No one gives a gently caress about Basketball in England.

It's still probably the third biggest sport in the world.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Mickolution posted:

It's still probably the third biggest sport in the world.

Football, cricket and rugby are all bigger.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Pissflaps posted:

Football, cricket and rugby are all bigger.

Rugby isn't, I would say.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

these are certainly some bad posts about football

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Mickolution posted:

Rugby isn't, I would say.

You can say that.

TomSellek
Jan 31, 2008
India shouldn't be included in world sport popularity because they are poo poo at sports as a whole and can barely win gold medals imo

this way cricket would be where it belongs, below Handball

Quasimango
Mar 10, 2011

God damn you.

I'm taking this as conclusive proof.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Pissflaps posted:

You can say that.

And I'd be right.

Pissflaps