Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

Oh that, it's just my first run pressing of Ernest Goes to Camp/Ernest Goes to Jail bluray. Still in its original wrapper.
:smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
I don't get the impression that these people think their collections will be valuable. Normal people can certainly have the desire to collect things - it's a regularly-occurring trait that is exploited in all kinds of ways, from things like baseball cards and comic books to the gameplay mechanisms in platform video games (i.e. Mario 64 - collect all the stars, etc.). It's just with these people, this normal drive to collect is in overdrive, and combined with some fairly large amounts of OCD.

Some BDs here and there are genuinely valuable (certain Steelbooks, out-of-print Criterion titles, Blue Underground's release of The Bird with the Crystal Plumage, etc.), but in general no, they are not valuable.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Neo_Reloaded posted:

I don't get the impression that these people think their collections will be valuable. Normal people can certainly have the desire to collect things - it's a regularly-occurring trait that is exploited in all kinds of ways, from things like baseball cards and comic books to the gameplay mechanisms in platform video games (i.e. Mario 64 - collect all the stars, etc.). It's just with these people, this normal drive to collect is in overdrive, and combined with some fairly large amounts of OCD.

Some BDs here and there are genuinely valuable (certain Steelbooks, out-of-print Criterion titles, Blue Underground's release of The Bird with the Crystal Plumage, etc.), but in general no, they are not valuable.

But these people truly believe that having some lovely Universal insert or a sticker on the front that says Playstation 3 Compatible means they have a vastly superior version of the release.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

sportsgenius86 posted:

But these people truly believe that having some lovely Universal insert or a sticker on the front that says Playstation 3 Compatible means they have a vastly superior version of the release.

I think most acknowledge that wanting the slipcovers / stickers / whatever is a matter of personal preference. Since they do value having slipcovers or whatnot, they obviously value their way of collecting more - but they don't go around looking at other people's collections going "Pfft your collection sucks, how can you have a good collection without slipcovers, you fail at Blu-ray." I definitely still think they're crazy, but they're not rude at least - the people who gloat about how they burn slipcovers and think they're pushing the slipcover people's buttons come across as the rude ones.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Ineffiable posted:

Only for stuff that quickly goes OOP or has a limited release. I don't see much of a collectible market in VHS or even DVDs, unless it was stuff that had a print run in under 5k digits or something.

You would be surprised. I remember buying Titus Season 1-3 from DeepDiscount for $20 (they were running a BOGO sale). They were at that price point for a long time so I was surprised to find out, a year or two later, that they went OOP and were going for $80+. I sold mine for $75.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Sporadic posted:

You would be surprised. I remember buying Titus Season 1-3 from DeepDiscount for $20 (they were running a BOGO sale). They were at that price point for a long time so I was surprised to find out, a year or two later, that they went OOP and were going for $80+. I sold mine for $75.

Ah poo poo I knew I shouldn't have passed that up...10 times...

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Some interesting Kino announcements:

The Romantic Englishwoman - 6/21
Priest of Love - 6/21
The Sacrifice: Remastered Edition - 6/28

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
poo poo yeah. The Tarkovsky wave's a rollin'.

The Infamous Shane
Dec 19, 2007
Call me Shane Mcloon, Super Goon.

Crackbone posted:

Ah, the Spergy Decimal System.

There seemed to be no love for this. I love this. Here is love for it.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

FitFortDanga posted:

Hell yeah. Haven't seen the other two, how are they?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Some Like It Hot is up for preorder on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004TJ1H1E/ref=nosim?tag=dvdbeaver-20&link_code=as3&creativeASIN=B004TJ1H1E&creative=373489&camp=211189

$15! MGM seems to do well on their flagship titles, so I'd like to think this will be another excellent release.

FitFortDanga posted:

Some interesting Kino announcements:

The Romantic Englishwoman - 6/21
Priest of Love - 6/21

Eisenstein's Strike is coming before the end of the year. They also confirmed Dersu Uzula will be out next year.

Besides their silent releases, I would donate plasma for a month to get the Parajanov films in Blu.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Apr 8, 2011

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I'm not a big Eisenstein fan, but I'm all over Strike.

And yeah, Parajanov would be nice.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Egbert Souse posted:

Eisenstein's Strike is coming before the end of the year. They also confirmed Dersu Uzula will be out next year.

:psyboom: Both of these things make me so happy. I thought I'd never see Dersu on bluray because no one loves it as much as me.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
After almost three years since the first set came out, Warner Bros has announced Justice League: Season Two for a July 26 release. Let's hope it's not another three years before they get around to releasing Justice League Unlimited, too.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

FitFortDanga posted:

First thing to go in the trash after the shrinkwrap. Jesus, people are loving insane. I really hate guys who take "collecting" DVDs/Blu-Rays that seriously. They're usually the same guys who have 2000+ collections that are like 95% poo poo movies.

This is the kind of guy I'm talking about. 7847 discs, and mostly garbage. I already hate this person.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The test is to go by title and look for 10,000 BC.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

It can't be hard to find better ways to spend the Scrooge McDuckian amounts of money those people must have.

Jesus Christ, buy a boat if you're that desperate to piss away cash. Or donate all those movies to a library.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
But, but...my collection! :qq:

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The best is the spergers in the Big Lots Deals thread on DVD Talk. I'll be the first one to admit I look at the thread regularly for legitimately good deals, but there are people that will buy literally any lovely movie they can find and then list it on there and talk about it like they just found On The Waterfront or something.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

FitFortDanga posted:

This is the kind of guy I'm talking about. 7847 discs, and mostly garbage. I already hate this person.

Who the hell buys much less starts out their collection with Crocodile Dundee II?

Also, What happened in May 2007 to make him start collecting DVD's like they were going out of print?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Island Nation posted:

Who the hell buys much less starts out their collection with Crocodile Dundee II?

Also, What happened in May 2007 to make him start collecting DVD's like they were going out of print?

I kind of understand the mindset. It's a cheap status thing. While looking at the titles individually, it isn't that impressive but I bet he loves the shock value when people come over and see 7000+ DVDs on his shelf.

I knew a guy just like that. He was a UPS driver that had 1500+ DVDs and one of those 73" Mitsubishi HDTVs back in 2007. He also didn't watch one of them by himself, talked throughout the whole thing and would only use a handful of discs to show off his TV (The Matrix or various music concerts). He also barely knew anything about movies. To him, it was a talking point. Look at my awesome TV and wall with a thousand DVDs on it. Aren't I a cool guy doing really good in life?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

FitFortDanga posted:

Oh come on! Nobody actually liked Town and Country. Why would anyone buy that?

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

FitFortDanga posted:

I just knew when I went to the B section he would have Baby's Day Out.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas looks pretty good, though probably not as sharp as a more thorough restoration (and digital transfer) could have produced.

Kes looks beautifully milky, though I kind of can't believe the absence of grain.

Sweetie is amazing, wow, not a big surprise seeing as it's a recent transfer but still, look at those granules.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Oh man I'm so disappointed with the UK edition of Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives, it's needlessly encoded at 1080i50 so you actually still get PAL speedup.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
$10 coupon for The Incredibles

http://www.disneymovierewards.go.com/promotions/special-offers/incredibles-upgrade

If you combine this with Target's $5 off Disney coupon, you can get it there for $11.99

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I have to get that Fear version since I lent my DVD criterion to my friends ex-gf and never heard from her again.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

doctor thodt posted:

http://www.disneymovierewards.go.com/promotions/special-offers/incredibles-upgrade

If you combine this with Target's $5 off Disney coupon, you can get it there for $11.99

Where's the target coupon?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Twilight Zone Season 4 dropped down to a reasonable $60.99 on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004LVRQ4M/ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B004LVRQ4M

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

I've discovered something that really bothers me about buying blus from a large chain (i.e. Best Buy).... Regardless of how long the movie has been out on bluray it never goes down in price. Yes they do sales that lower the price for a limited time, however it's not the same procedures that you would see with say a video game.

When a video game comes out they may have a special sale for the first week or so that it's out (similar to what they do with blurays) then after it goes back up to it's normal price until the next sell, however after a certain amount of time the game goes down in price even when it's not on sale.

Why do Blus not depreciate over time? It doesn't make any sense that Smoking Aces is still 24.99 at Best Buy when it has been out on Blu for at least two years. Shooter is still 24.99 at BB, which if I remember correctly is one of the first blus to come out. Yet the price is still near release value.

I get that they want you to check their weekly ad for all the best prices, but the fact is if they would mark down blus as they should be, based on time, I would be more inclined to go in there and spend 100-125 every few months or so on blus then only buying one or two that are part of the weekly sale.

Am I the only one that finds this practice to be frustrating? I know the simple solution is to buy from Amazon, but sometimes I don't like to wait.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
The people who buy Blu-Rays from Best Buy probably don't know or care that they could usually get them on Amazon for way cheaper, just so long as they can buy it now and watch it in thirty minutes.

edit: wow that sounds kind of pompous, if it helps I know at least five people who do this. Paying twice over the Amazon price is like a little premium for owning it immediately.

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Apr 11, 2011

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The people who buy Blu-Rays from Best Buy probably don't know or care that they could usually get them on Amazon for way cheaper, just so long as they can buy it now and watch it in thirty minutes.

edit: wow that sounds kind of pompous, if it helps I know at least five people who do this. Paying twice over the Amazon price is like a little premium for owning it immediately.

Best Buy is ok for new releases or when they do have sales (sometimes you can get things cheaper there than amazon). It's just back catalog stuff that is dumb. Like if you wanted Due Date last week you could get the 3 disc combo for 15$ on blu, but if you wanted the single disc edition of Shooter it's 25$. For things like that I totally support amazon.

I just wish that chain retailers would use the same pricing platform for all entertainment media.

Plus the reward zone program is amazing if you also have the gamers club.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
At least Best Buy usually sells below MSRP, have you ever tried to get something at B&N when it wasn't on sale?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

dogflaps posted:

Part of me secretly thinks he'll make Han shoot first again, after seeing him wearing the Han Shot First t-shirt.
That's just Lucas being a dick.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Apr 11, 2011

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Volcasarus ReX posted:

I know the simple solution is to buy from Amazon, but sometimes I don't like to wait.

Annnnd that's why their back catalog stays high. Well, that and they have to maintain sales staff and retail space so their margins have to be bigger vs. an electronic retailer.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Volcasarus ReX posted:

I know the simple solution is to buy from Amazon, but sometimes I don't like to wait.

It's all about Amazon Prime. Free two day shipping and if you preorder something, it shows up on release day.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Crackbone posted:

Where's the target coupon?

http://i.imgur.com/ryOY9.jpg

Best Buy is also offering $10 off if you buy Cars + The Incredibles together. The base price for each is $24.99, and there's also an $8 coupon for Cars.

So:
$24.99 x 2 = $49.98
-$10 Best Buy combo discount
-$10 Incredibles Coupon
-$8 Cars Coupon
=$21.98 for The Incredibles + Cars

And on top of that, both titles come with $8.50 movie cash for Cars 2.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

doctor thodt posted:

And on top of that, both titles come with $8.50 movie cash for Cars 2.

This has BAD IDEA written all over it.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
The idea that Blu-Rays stay static in price whereas video games go down is laughable, especially at Best Buy. You can usually find a ton of Blu-Rays at $10-15 there, whereas video games is such a loving racket that you'll be looking at $50-60 for most games even a year after release, and forget about getting below $55 or so during release week.

doctor thodt posted:

Is there some generic code that I can enter or do I have to own The Incredibles on DVD?

Nut Bunnies fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Apr 11, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Captain Charisma posted:

The idea that Blu-Rays stay static in price whereas video games go down is laughable, especially at Best Buy. You can usually find a ton of Blu-Rays at $10-15 there, whereas video games is such a loving racket that you'll be looking at $50-60 for most games even a year after release, and forget about getting below $55 or so during release week.

Also videogames depreciate because people want the latest and greatest in a way that doesn't apply to movies.

• Locked thread