Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Artificer posted:

Wouldn't the dezgra status of the tank make it not count for the purposes of breaking Zellbrigen? It may be possible that the Thunderchild pilot is allowed to vent his anger on some tank...

That's why I said it was a shame. Even though the tank helped take down two Mechs, the Clanners are probably still gonna treat the crew like crap, not worthy of making bondsmen or gunning them down when they attempt to bail...

Also, I totally approve of the Colonel calling out Knox on his bullshit. The Star Commander said that Knox was withdrawing, but here he is, wrecking the Rommel. Sure, that might be fine with the Clanners, but to the 2nd Donegal, that should be a breach of the Clanners own honor rules.

Also, that Master Sergeant totally has to get some sort of commendation or medal or something for taking out the Battle Cobra and then dying in the line of duty... Never forget :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

landcollector posted:

I wholly approve of this move! It's too bad the players aren't piloting a Hatchetman in this scenario. It would provide a great deal of :black101: in the developing trend of engaging in physical comabt, wouldn't it? Think we could get one of your ads for it Defiance?

Well, I don't THINK I have another request lined up. Do I?

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Defiance Industries posted:

Well, I don't THINK I have another request lined up. Do I?

A Team Banzai themed advert for the Hatchetman would be awesome.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

GhostStalker posted:

That's why I said it was a shame. Even though the tank helped take down two Mechs, the Clanners are probably still gonna treat the crew like crap, not worthy of making bondsmen or gunning them down when they attempt to bail...

Also, I totally approve of the Colonel calling out Knox on his bullshit. The Star Commander said that Knox was withdrawing, but here he is, wrecking the Rommel. Sure, that might be fine with the Clanners, but to the 2nd Donegal, that should be a breach of the Clanners own honor rules.

Also, that Master Sergeant totally has to get some sort of commendation or medal or something for taking out the Battle Cobra and then dying in the line of duty... Never forget :911:

Speakjng on behalf of Duke Daniel Brewer, CEO of Defiance Industries, we propose he be nominated for the Commonwealth's highest award, the Commonwealth Medal of Honor, and membership in the Knights of Donegal.

He will also, of course, be used in a new advertising campaign for the Banshee-S as the first machine to destroy a Clansman.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Apr 8, 2011

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

If you guys survive your respective fights with Beta star, call out the pilot of the Naga in the most insulting, honor-insulting way you possibly can. Even if you die in the attempt (because a lovely assault mech is still an assault mech), at least you'll make him look like the cowardly bitch he is in front of the rest of his unit.

Or go ahead and challenge him now, with the terms being he has to wait until you take out Beta star. Then make the rationale for challenging him so early that you wanted to be sure the challenge went through before he drowned in the sheer volume of his own urine as he wets himself in terror at the thought of fighting anything with weapons on it.

Bonus points if you shame him so horribly by pointing out his flaws he's executed on the spot.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

landcollector posted:

If my math is right, the Rommel has a...+9 penalty on piloting rolls?! :wth: That's ridiculous!
YES IT IS!

You know why?

It means that if the Rommel rushes straight at a clan mech for all but 1MP of it's movement and then turns it will automatically fail the piloting roll and skid.

Can anyone else say accidental charge?

Given a 3/5 movement rate after the damage, and a 65 ton tank this means it can move 4 hexes, turn and deal damage equal to 1/10th of it's weight multiplied by distance moved.

Why yes, that is 24 damage, distributed solely to the legs of the mech.

Oh yeah, it can fire afterwards too.

gently caress it, maths fail. 6 damage only. drat THE TORPEDOES!

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Apr 8, 2011

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
This last update was metal as gently caress. :black101:

Mukai if you beat that Clanner to death with your bare mech fists I will have Samantha Clover's babies. :allears:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Arquinsiel posted:

Given a 3/5 movement rate after the damage,

It's a 1/2, it doesn't have the movement to even trigger an accidental skid.

Most tanks go out with a wimper. Or an ammo explosion.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Apr 8, 2011

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That makes me sad. It deserves a more :black101: ending.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Speakjng on behalf of Duke Daniel Brewer, CEO of Defiance Industries, we propose he be nominated for the Commonwealth's highest award, the Commonwealth Medal of Honor, and membership in the Knights of Donegal.

He will also, of course, be used in a new advertising campaign for the Banshee-S as the first machine to destroy a Clansman.

Works for me. As long as Caesar Steiner gets off the planet, it'll all be good.

Arquinsiel posted:

Makes me sad as well. Having the Rommel tank wipe the floor with the smug bastard would be awesome and a fitting end for the tank crew.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Trast posted:

This last update was metal as gently caress. :black101:

Mukai if you beat that Clanner to death with your bare mech fists I will have Samantha Clover's babies. :allears:

My gut is telling me that if she survives, it will only help the Commonwealth down the road if Caesar puts a baby in her. This timeline needs a Reinhardt Steiner.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
Get out of there tankers! Is it dezgra to shoot at them if they radio in a surrender and bail?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I vote the tank crew gets the hell out of the tank and challenges MechWarrior Knox to come out of his machine "since he's apparently too stupid to know what 'withdrawing' means, the giant wuss" and fight them like men.

He was supposed to be withdrawing, after all, and something about the mental image of one genetically-engineered warrior having a fistfight with a couple of pissed-off infantry grunts in the middle of a Giant Robot Firefight strikes me as appropriately :black101:.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Arquinsiel posted:

Maybe if Knox is foolish enough to stand still long enough for them to recover from the stun, they can aim one last shot right between his Thunderchild's legs. :black101:

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
I think some of you are upset that MechWarrior Knox is smart enough to think outside the box. Maybe next time you guys shouldn't field dezgra against the children of Kerensky.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

KnoxZone posted:

I think some of you are upset that MechWarrior Knox is smart enough to think outside the box. Maybe next time you guys shouldn't field dezgra against the children of Kerensky.

Aff. We must not mock Mechwarrior Knox for his ability at finding a fight better suited to his skills than one on one engagements with more honorable enemies. The Clans abhor waste, and to not use a warrior whose talents lie in squashing dezgra freebirths would be wasteful, quiaff?

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

KnoxZone posted:

Get back in your box.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

KnoxZone posted:

Perhaps the Clanners should take their own advice *looks at the Naga and its actions* facing House Steiner, quiaff? :colbert:

I kid, I kid.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

KnoxZone posted:

Well, it's good that he's smart enough to think in some context, since he certainly doesn't apply it to fighting.

Mechwarrior Knox might even luck out. If the Donegal guards take out Beta Star and move on to Gamma, Knox might be able to inherit a barely used, slightly damp Naga. Strive for the pinnacle of cowardice! :black101:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

landcollector posted:

Perhaps the Clanners should take their own advice *looks at the Naga and its actions* facing House Steiner, quiaff? :colbert:

I kid, I kid.

Those Clanners gotta know we are classy as gently caress. The Second Donegal was old when Aleksandr Kerensky's ancestor was getting stabbed with a broken bottle by the drunken Coordinator of the Draconis Combine.

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

I know its super dooper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

Mukaikubo posted:

Aff. We must not mock Mechwarrior Knox for his ability at finding a fight better suited to his skills than one on one engagements with more honorable enemies. The Clans abhor waste, and to not use a warrior whose talents lie in squashing dezgra freebirths would be wasteful, quiaff?

Aff. He should be celebrated for his couragous attack while in retreatrearward advance.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

W.T. Fits posted:

Maybe if Knox is foolish enough to stand still long enough for them to recover from the stun, they can aim one last shot right between his Thunderchild's legs. :black101:

Does the venerable Rommel even have a chance to recover from that stun before Knox attempts to finish it off? Even if he is knocked off the tank, the drive train is all but demolished, and it's got crazy to hit penalties. I would love it if it could get another shot off at Knox with its big gently caress off autocannon, but I doubt it can do anything at this point.

I'd be totally behind the tank crew bailing out and challenging Knox to a fistfight for apparently not understanding the term "withdrawing". That would be the best way for the tank crew to get out of there alive... There's practically no chance that the Clans will claim them as bondsmen because they drive a tank, right?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The Clans do have armor units, only they are just in garrisons. It would probably be easier for them to become Warriors as tank pilots versus Mech pilots, because while most Clan pilots are better, Clan tank crews are actually 5/6 as their base skill.

So armor crew 12 would actually be really badass if they were captured, and garrison units are mostly washout trueborns and freebirth tank crews anyway.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

GhostStalker posted:

I'd be totally behind the tank crew bailing out and challenging Knox to a fistfight for apparently not understanding the term "withdrawing". That would be the best way for the tank crew to get out of there alive... There's practically no chance that the Clans will claim them as bondsmen because they drive a tank, right?

It also gives the tank crew a possibility to claim him as a bondsman!

Sgt. Hammer: "The hammer is my penis." Shame she's a chick.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

The Clans do have armor units, only they are just in garrisons. It would probably be easier for them to become Warriors as tank pilots versus Mech pilots, because while most Clan pilots are better, Clan tank crews are actually 5/6 as their base skill.

So armor crew 12 would actually be really badass if they were captured, and garrison units are mostly washout trueborns and freebirth tank crews anyway.

I look forward to PTN's later 25-year flash-forward, where we learn that Armor Crew 12 gained so much renown after their capture as bondsmen that they each earned Bloodnames and have been sung of as the greatest warriors of the age.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I look forward to PTN's later 25-year flash-forward, where we learn that Armor Crew 12 gained so much renown after their capture as bondsmen that they each earned Bloodnames and have been sung of as the greatest warriors of the age.

Yeah. Here's what happened to them: the Steel Vipers took them as bondsmen for being :black101: as gently caress, figuring that they could do worse than have these freebirths piloting a tank in a garrison somewhere.

They get shipped back to Clan space, where they get put in a big fuckoff Clan tank and single-tankedly stop a Hell's Horses raid. The Horses are so loving impressed they come back with 'mechs and issue a batchall for that tank's crew - not the tank, just the crew. The crew, being unable to fight since they're the thing being fought over, get taken in by Hell's Horses.

They all wind up piloting an Epona each, a one-man tank, after the TacOps rules making vehicles less likely to die if a howler monkey throws his own poo at him get made canon, and they all found Bloodhouses as badass TankWarriors, giving Omni hovertanks a respected name amongst the horses as first-line units, and striking down upon their enemies with great vengeance and furious anger.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Yeah. Here's what happened to them: the Steel Vipers took them as bondsmen for being :black101: as gently caress, figuring that they could do worse than have these freebirths piloting a tank in a garrison somewhere.

They get shipped back to Clan space, where they get put in a big fuckoff Clan tank and single-tankedly stop a Hell's Horses raid. The Horses are so loving impressed they come back with 'mechs and issue a batchall for that tank's crew - not the tank, just the crew. The crew, being unable to fight since they're the thing being fought over, get taken in by Hell's Horses.

They all wind up piloting an Epona each, a one-man tank, after the TacOps rules making vehicles less likely to die if a howler monkey throws his own poo at him get made canon, and they all found Bloodhouses as badass TankWarriors, giving Omni hovertanks a respected name amongst the horses as first-line units, and striking down upon their enemies with great vengeance and furious anger.

I like the Pulp Fiction reference towards the end. Was that intentional?

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Since we are all throwing out predictions, here is mine:

The tank crew is all dead when the Nova stomps all over them. Nobody remembers them.

On a happier note, things you can do with MegaMek:

120 Hunchback IICs vs 120 Hunchback IICs. Over half the mechs died on turn 1. It was glorious.

KnoxZone fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Apr 8, 2011

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

KnoxZone posted:

The tank crew is all died when the Nova stomps all over them. Nobody remembers them.

I reject your reality and insert my own.

The tank crew will call out Knox for apparently not knowing the definition of "withdraw", get smacked around for a turn, then plants an AC20 round right into where his wrecked Right Arm would be. For having a role in taking out 2 Clan Mechs, they get claimed as bondsmen when the Rommel invariably gets wrecked.

Still, tales about their valor get back to the rest of the Commonwealth, and the entire tank crew gets put up for a commendation.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The machine being totaled doesnt necessarily mean everyone in it dies.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

KnoxZone posted:

The tank crew is all died when the Nova stomps all over them. Nobody remembers them.

When I read this, my mind fills in as the mental image:

:stare:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

It occurs to me that Knox plans to stomp on a tank full of AC/20 ammo.

Maybe he's not thinking that clearly after all.

I know, the rules don't support that doing damage, but it's another one of those things that makes no sense, like Knox fighting in the first place after being ordered to withdraw. Would still be hilarious to see the ammo explosion take his leg off so someone could wander over and kick his cockpit in though.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Okay. I think I missed something (last few days have been busy).

Did the Hellbringer seriously shoot the Banshee without challenging him first? Or did I just miss some story (all of these mechs being "Unknown" and then getting new names is making it tough for me to keep track sometimes)?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

We using the "Clanners get a +1 TN to physicals" optional rule?

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

KnoxZone posted:

120 Hunchback IICs vs 120 Hunchback IICs. Over half the mechs died on turn 1. It was glorious.

That is beautiful.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Dramatic predictions aside, you may as well have the tank crew bail. Their tank will probably soak up another turn of getting shot and stomped on either way and it's not like they'll last long enough to get another shot off, so at least this way they won't die too when it pops. They can disappear into that heavy wood they're in.

It might not be easy with the tank commander having heavy shrapnel wounds and all, but they don't really have much choice.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"
Besides, Poptarts might let them scarper at 2m a turn if he uses the "Infantry Sprint" rule. If they make it into that Hardened building at 0820 (let Knox wander off first,) they can (at the very least) get eyes on the tarmac, and they might be able to scrounge up like, some Infantry SRM launchers. (Or Infantry LRM launchers, if Poptarts is going to be kind and let them find some LosTech. Or Infantry Inferno SRM launchers, if Poptarts is going to be very kind. :))

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Or Infantry Inferno SRM launchers, if Poptarts is going to be very kind. :))

The Clans just sorta snicker at Infernos, most of the time.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Can the tank rotate to not expose its front to the world? Does it instantly die if the front is destroyed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

Why isn't the dropships shooting the clanners? From my experience playing mechwarrior dropships melted my prized pink Annihilator over, and over again. The dropships should be unleashing those blue beams of death.

I wish I had the patience for wargaming. wargaming has so many loving rules, and thick as gently caress books to read. :bang:

• Locked thread