Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Welp, back in Suffield. Somehow it is both drier and less traversable. The ranges are no longer reachable (well, other than by foot or helo). Rumint has us relocating to Wx, which would just be gravy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Elgar posted:

They probably have a bone to pick with that whole 300 year+ occupation

I think Macedonians just like killing poo poo. Throughout history they've been shown to be exceedingly good at it.

Archives
Nov 23, 2008

Elgar posted:

They probably have a bone to pick with that whole 300 year+ occupation

Aaaah yes, the famous Jewish invasion of Macedonia of 1674, how could we forget that.

Elgar
Mar 12, 2005
Hey guys, what is going on I don't understand.
I don't know if you're trying to be silly or not but I mean the Ottoman empire.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

Going to Rimouski for Wet Pressurized Escape training as an Anglophone is always fun. For every person who doesn't mind your crappy french there are 5 old guys at the Tim Hortons that see you as some kind of barbarian invaders.

Elgar
Mar 12, 2005
Oh yeah now getting transferred to Trenton. I wonder how many 1 month postings I can do?

GenVec
Mar 17, 2010
I've been thinking about submitting an application for Intelligence Officer, but from this thread and the the army.ca forums it seems that they're considerably overbooked. Any opinions on whether it would be a waste of time for me to try?

I'd be applying with a fairly strong resume, having recently graduated from McGill with a degree in International Relations (focused on Middle East and Central Asia), as well as considerable experience writing reports on foreign affairs for NGOs I've worked with. Would having this type of background give me an edge, or have they made statements to the effect that they're only taking applicants from within the armed forces?

Thanks for the advice.

feldmann
Mar 30, 2011

GenVec posted:

I've been thinking about submitting an application for Intelligence Officer, but from this thread and the the army.ca forums it seems that they're considerably overbooked. Any opinions on whether it would be a waste of time for me to try?

I'd be applying with a fairly strong resume, having recently graduated from McGill with a degree in International Relations (focused on Middle East and Central Asia), as well as considerable experience writing reports on foreign affairs for NGOs I've worked with. Would having this type of background give me an edge, or have they made statements to the effect that they're only taking applicants from within the armed forces?

Thanks for the advice.

Regular force or reserve? Army or Navy?

I know that army intelligence required you to transfer from another trade after having served a few years. Last I heard regular force army intelligence NCM were full but the reserves here on the west coast are still recruiting.

Honestly though, best thing you can do is to go into a recruiting office. They'll have the most up to date and relevant information.

GenVec
Mar 17, 2010
Regular army was the plan.

I've tried to swing by twice now to speak to a recruiter, but apparently April is a busy time for them. Guess I'll have to bite the bullet and go in at 7:30 before I head to work.

I'll admit I was a little surprised to see waiting rooms packed full of applicants when I swung by, particularly for Montreal.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE
After a good night's sleep

GenVec posted:

Regular army was the plan.

I've tried to swing by twice now to speak to a recruiter, but apparently April is a busy time for them. Guess I'll have to bite the bullet and go in at 7:30 before I head to work.

I'll admit I was a little surprised to see waiting rooms packed full of applicants when I swung by, particularly for Montreal.

What interests you in the intel branch? I would be surprised if you could go right off the street into reg force int officer. Reserve probably.

Drama Llama
Mar 27, 2009

"I hope you can take one alive sheriff, it would be a boom to science..."

Flanker posted:

I would be surprised if you could go right off the street into reg force int officer.

Three from my BMOQ did it. One for each element actually now that I think about it.

Gay but Spooky
Oct 25, 2005

feldmann posted:

Army or Navy?

I thought Intelligence Officer was a purple trade?

I too know Intelligence Officers who came as DEO

GenVec
Mar 17, 2010

Flanker posted:

What interests you in the intel branch?
I watched a lot of James Bond and thought, "Hey, I could do that." :smug:

Somewhat more seriously, I've always had a passion for politics and international relations, and my time spent studying abroad made me realize I had a talent for deconstructing the domestic politics of foreign countries. When I came back I worked (read: interned) with an NGO that gathered field reports from their foreign offices and transformed that information into a coherent analysis. I'm told that's a fairly good approximation for what intelligence officers do on the strategic level, so why not make a career out of it?

Truthfully my first choice was the foreign ministry, but the public service exams are such a crapshoot that I could be waiting years to land a position.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

GenVec posted:

Somewhat more seriously, I've always had a passion for politics and international relations, and my time spent studying abroad made me realize I had a talent for deconstructing the domestic politics of foreign countries. When I came back I worked (read: interned) with an NGO that gathered field reports from their foreign offices and transformed that information into a coherent analysis. I'm told that's a fairly good approximation for what intelligence officers do on the strategic level, so why not make a career out of it?

Truthfully my first choice was the foreign ministry, but the public service exams are such a crapshoot that I could be waiting years to land a position.

Well then definitely take a look at intel. I did the NCM course and deployed as a collator. I was pretty underwhelmed and I've since transferred back to my reserve infantry unit. Be ready to spend a month looking at pictures of Russian jets and boats, then a one week crash course on insurgency a few days before getting on a plane to Afghanistan.

My main concern was if you thought int work was going to be like an episode of Chuck or someshit. Looks like you have a grip on it though.

GenVec
Mar 17, 2010
As a followup, I spoke with the recruiter downtown and DEO is available for Intelligence - just not this fiscal year, as they're all full up. Apparently they wouldn't look at your resume even if you were Chuck.

GenVec fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Apr 9, 2011

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

GenVec posted:

So how many languages do you speak?

Elgar
Mar 12, 2005
Yeah languages are a pretty big one, but hey I'd say apply to the foreign ministry anyway. Might as well have that application in the bag if you can't get in with Int. Also yes Int O you can go right from the street. It's stuff like PSel, social worker, and career managers you can't do off the street.

Also, so I thought I was going to get my claims in for Trenton, turns out it is impossible to put out a posting message when everyone from the unit I am going to, to the unit that owns me agrees that I should be going somewhere. Seriously, they knew this stuff was happening more than a few days ago and it takes literally a few minutes to draft up this poo poo. Why does no one talk to each other? Ugh.

GenVec
Mar 17, 2010

tuyop posted:

So how many languages do you speak?
English and French, with a smattering of Arabic. It's a pity that I didn't stick with the Arabic, as CSIS might now be paying me mad money to sit around and read the Tripoli Daily Mail. In truth, if I was fluent in any of the really desirable languages (Arabic, Persian, Urdu, Pashto, etc) I'd probably skip the military and go straight for the private sector.

Regarding the public service exams and the foreign ministry, candidates with language skills in areas deemed particularly desirable are naturally given priority, but the majority of applications will be accepted from persons with just French and/or English. It's just not practical to expect every Canadian Embassy, Consulate, and Trade Commission throughout the developing world to be staffed with native language speakers - we'd have to close half of them. So if you can stand to sit through the PSE's you probably have a good chance even if you don't speak Esperanto.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
So I'm in week 7 of my Combat Engineer DP1, and we just got off CB tentatively untill we do something stupid. We're in the middle of Urban Ops and it's a hell of a good time. First weekend off was awesome especially after getting 11 hours of sleep for the entire week, passed out for a good 16 on Friday after we got our cap badges. gently caress OC's inspections. I love the course but goddamn do I hate inspections. I got dinged for lint on a sock in a ziplock bag in the main pouch of my ruck.

My question for you guys since you're all a hell of a lot more experienced than I am is I wanted to know is there a chance that my staff can take away our easter break if we poo poo the bed? I already have a plane booked to go home, and I really don't want to worry about losing my easter. Is the entire 4 day weekend considered a holiday or is it two holidays and two weekend?

HammerOfHope
Apr 21, 2003

Pounding away since 1984.

Samu posted:

My question for you guys since you're all a hell of a lot more experienced than I am is I wanted to know is there a chance that my staff can take away our easter break if we poo poo the bed? I already have a plane booked to go home, and I really don't want to worry about losing my easter. Is the entire 4 day weekend considered a holiday or is it two holidays and two weekend?

It's two stat holidays and two weekend days. If you have a signed leave pass they can't hold you back without reimbursing you for costs you incur as a result. If you bought tickets without a signed leave pass.. well, lesson learned.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

HammerOfHope posted:

It's two stat holidays and two weekend days. If you have a signed leave pass they can't hold you back without reimbursing you for costs you incur as a result. If you bought tickets without a signed leave pass.. well, lesson learned.

True. I've had course staff seriously gently caress with my mind when I was young and stupid (slightly older and stupid now). You gently caress up on an inspection, they tell you to pull a leave pass from the pile and tear it up. Now, had this been my own leave pass I woulda been like "well poo poo that sucks" but it was someone else's, and it made me feel HORRIBLE.

Until after the inspection they told us they were just photocopies and they couldn't take a signed leave pass away unless we seriously, seriously hosed the pooch.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

This is apparently going viral on youtube, a bunch of my friends that know I'm ex-forces linked it to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRIriU1ApVc&feature=player_embedded#at=80

This is so "Making do", it's like poetry. Heater bags, and boot-bands. And swearing.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

MA-Horus posted:

This is apparently going viral on youtube, a bunch of my friends that know I'm ex-forces linked it to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRIriU1ApVc&feature=player_embedded#at=80

This is so "Making do", it's like poetry. Heater bags, and boot-bands. And swearing.

The guy on the right in the beginning was on my DP1. Making a double boiler to heat coffee or hot chocolate make winter suck less.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Fraser CDN posted:

The guy on the right in the beginning was on my DP1. Making a double boiler to heat coffee or hot chocolate make winter suck less.

We didn't have to do that all that often with our gun tractors and heaters and coleman stoves

artillery supremacy :smug:

Elgar
Mar 12, 2005

MA-Horus posted:

We didn't have to do that all that often with our gun tractors and heaters and coleman stoves

artillery supremacy :smug:

I guess they don't have it in their LAVs? But you can have a heater in them that heats rations and your drinking water.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE
We just brought a cheap coffee maker with us and plugged it in to the sockets in the LAV.

But that's still a cool technique to use, if it doesn't melt the plastic and give you super cancer or someshit.

Elgar
Mar 12, 2005
I completely forgot about the outlet in the back. That was sweet for making instant noodles

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Elgar posted:

I guess they don't have it in their LAVs? But you can have a heater in them that heats rations and your drinking water.

I think our trucks had those heaters too, there's a slot for them but they are never used because of something about bursting into flames..or something like that. Or so someone told me a while back about why we don't use them anymore.

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug
I started drinking those Starbucks Via things at sea, so much better than ship coffee. Plus they got me through PLQ. :)

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Flanker posted:

We just brought a cheap coffee maker with us and plugged it in to the sockets in the LAV.

But that's still a cool technique to use, if it doesn't melt the plastic and give you super cancer or someshit.

Do you have any sweet Canadian LAV pics that you wouldn't mind posting? I'd be interested in seeing how Canadian LAVs are different from American ones.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
I might have a few that aren't completely balls deep in mud that I could put up.

Oops.

On the topic of cool armoured transport that we have (and don't use) I saw a Brit BV206 (S, i would imagine) tooling around Suffield today. Fucker wasn't phased by anything.

I've seen that video a few times now, and it's always good for a smile. Must be Royals, what with having their boots bloused in the field. :can: I've never bothered with a full on coffee maker in the back of the LAV, but a cheapie ($10) kettle is awesome for a brew up once the fucker stops moving.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Who in the sweet gently caress cares about having your boots bloused in the field? Boot-bands get lost in garrison for gently caress's sake, much less the field. They're much more useful wrapped around your mags, keeping them from making metal-on-metal noise.

Elgar
Mar 12, 2005

Vadoc posted:

I think our trucks had those heaters too, there's a slot for them but they are never used because of something about bursting into flames..or something like that. Or so someone told me a while back about why we don't use them anymore.

That poo poo is solid man. You put water in, start her up have it cooking while you do a hasty. It has a rubber gasket and is clamped in. I don't see how it could just burst into flames? It's just a simple elemental heater.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Elgar posted:

That poo poo is solid man. You put water in, start her up have it cooking while you do a hasty. It has a rubber gasket and is clamped in. I don't see how it could just burst into flames? It's just a simple elemental heater.

He may be thinking of the old-school space heaters on the ML gun tractors. The ones that would spontaneously combust any fabric left in the back. I know a young retarded gunner that melted the lower handguard off his C7 by leaving it against that thing.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Simkin posted:

I might have a few that aren't completely balls deep in mud that I could put up.

Oops.

On the topic of cool armoured transport that we have (and don't use) I saw a Brit BV206 (S, i would imagine) tooling around Suffield today. Fucker wasn't phased by anything.

I've seen that video a few times now, and it's always good for a smile. Must be Royals, what with having their boots bloused in the field. :can: I've never bothered with a full on coffee maker in the back of the LAV, but a cheapie ($10) kettle is awesome for a brew up once the fucker stops moving.

Any pics of the inside? I don't really care about the turret because I'm pretty sure it's exactly the same as ours but some troop compartment pics would be cool.

Slayer1597
Nov 6, 2008

TREMENDOUS CHILD
ASK ME ABOUT MY ANIMES
I am not sure if this is where I should be posting (so apologies ahead of time)

I being a lowly goon from a small Manitoba town, have recently been considering joining the military, and mainly I am just trying to get some insight on what that entails.

I have lived an exciting and adventerous life up till now, with lots of things I would never be able to do again if I enlisted (clearly I wouldn't mind doing this if I deem it worthwhile) I am about a year away from graduating Univeristy with a Major in Chemistry.

Would I be able to get into officers school once I finish my school?

Is this a good way to discipline myself in both body and mind?

I must seem like some sort of moron :) but I hope you guys can give me some words of advice or encouragement.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Hell yeah you could get into officer school, and they may even pay back your schooling costs. If you want to be disciplined and stuff it's great too, although if you're the exciting/adventurous type that I imagine (rock climbing and outdoorsy stuff?) you've probably got a lot of that already.

I would fully support a one or two-year mandatory service thing in Canada, because I think the basic training and perspective on life you get from it are incredibly beneficial.

Granted, I'm finishing my sixth and final year in the forces this year, and I'm not looking back. It's been fun, but I would hate myself if I did this forever.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Slayer1597 posted:

I being a lowly goon from a small Manitoba town, have recently been considering joining the military, and mainly I am just trying to get some insight on what that entails.

I have lived an exciting and adventerous life up till now, with lots of things I would never be able to do again if I enlisted (clearly I wouldn't mind doing this if I deem it worthwhile) I am about a year away from graduating Univeristy with a Major in Chemistry.

I must seem like some sort of moron :) but I hope you guys can give me some words of advice or encouragement.

Why not just try the reserves instead?

Which trade were you looking at?

Elgar
Mar 12, 2005

Slayer1597 posted:

Several routes you can go. You can do ROTP if accepted your last year of school would be paid for and you would have to serve a min of 1.5 years to repay. So if you're looking for an intro that's a route. You can go reserves. But then reserve mentality is a bit different than Reg for some reason. Also especially since Reserve components and class B's are being lessened you will have less of a chance to do something.

What trade were you thinking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HammerOfHope
Apr 21, 2003

Pounding away since 1984.

Slayer1597 posted:

Besides ROTP (where they pay for school in exchange for service) once you have a degree you can go DEO (direct entry officer). You can begin the application process while you're still in school (highly recommended!) followed by basic training. To gain a commission as a DEO you'll need to finish your degree program and basic training, and it's all coursing and eventually employment after that. Depending on which occupation you pick you may get a signing bonus, you'll have to check and double check with your recruiting centre.