Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

TheSqueeze posted:

Stunt Rock, where'd you do undergrad mock?

I mocked the gently caress out of AMTA.

Omerta fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Aug 17, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Red Bean Juice posted:

Hey, LA goons. I'll be summering downtown, but I am a hippie and hate cars. Would it be reasonably feasible for me to rely on public transit and not live out of the office? I was thinking of poking some friends at USC for sublets, or something like that.
If you pick a place in downtown or on a metro rail line you'll be able to get to an from work just fine.
You just won't be able to do anything else. Get a beater (with functional AC)

--------------
Waitin' on a jury verdict. How do you kill the time?
(My jury just asked for readback of 90% of the testimony)

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Tetrix posted:

Speaking of housing, anyone have suggestions for Washington DC? I am working in the Foggy Bottom area, looking for a studio or 1BR. There are a few bus lines that go by work, so I could live in a variety of different places. However, so far I've only found furnished places on Craigslist that are like $2500 a month.

Padmapper.com

atlas of bugs
Aug 19, 2003

BOOTSTRAPPING
MILLIONAIRE
ONE-PERCENTER

Petey posted:

Padmapper.com

only way to shop

By the way, how awful is Greenpoint? I'm interested just because of the Polish and Eastern Europe presence.

Stop
Nov 27, 2005

I like every pitch, no matter where it is.

Stop fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jan 30, 2013

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

Though I have actually only been to downtown once in the half decade I've lived here, I'm going to be contrarian and say you could do it. If you're living here for 2 months, working long hours, with laundry/gym/grocery within walking distance of your house or work, you'll be fine. There is public transportation, including a subway in downtown, and bus lines to leave the area. You need to take a taxi if you're going out drinking anyway, and the bus will suffice for when you want to go to the beach on the weekends.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Omerta posted:

Where did you go? I went to Furman (06-10).

Are you from SC originally? I grew up in the area and had a few friends who went there, though I think most of them would've been Class of 09.

Also I have to say, the more I hear anybody talk about LA the less I ever want to even think about going anywhere near there.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Macnigore posted:

I've already asked, I dont know if you missed it. What program did you get in ? Which school/city ?

I was accepted to Euromed Management in Marseille. I don't want to give out too many details over the internet.

I was also accepted into several other programs. I got into Ecole de Management Grenoble (EM Grenoble) and Cologne Business School.

I thought about going to EM Grenoble, for a particular masters its ranked #26 in Europe. I could have done it, but Grenoble is too f'ing cold and its a tiny city. Marseille is 1 million + people and the school is #38. My body will thank me in the winter.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

nm posted:

Waitin' on a jury verdict. How do you kill the time?
(My jury just asked for readback of 90% of the testimony)

Wallow in anxiety. Real answer is make an associate wait and take the verdict.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Solomon Grundy posted:

Wallow in anxiety. Real answer is make an associate wait and take the verdict.

Public pretenders don't get associates.
Still out. They tried to hang at 11-1, but the judge wouldn't let them.

Kase Im Licht
Jan 26, 2001

Tetrix posted:

Speaking of housing, anyone have suggestions for Washington DC? I am working in the Foggy Bottom area, looking for a studio or 1BR. There are a few bus lines that go by work, so I could live in a variety of different places. However, so far I've only found furnished places on Craigslist that are like $2500 a month.
You need to answer the all important questions of:

1. What are you willing to pay?
2. What commute do you want? What commute will you put up with? What amount of amount makes you ambivalent between the two options?
3. Do you want to be in a fun area?
4. Do you need to be in a safe area?

Captainscraps's advice is pretty bad. I guess its technically more true than not, but still not very accurate.

Foggy bottom isn't a bad place to work as far as accessibility goes. In addition to bus lines, you've got 3 metro lines that should be coming pretty close to your place of work.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

atlas of bugs posted:

only way to shop

By the way, how awful is Greenpoint? I'm interested just because of the Polish and Eastern Europe presence.

Greenpoint's nice. The G train sucks though and you'll probably walk from Bedford on the L a lot. I'm actually going up there this weekend.

Edit: And with Foggy Bottom, just look on Padmapper for cheap places from which you can get to Foggy Bottom pretty easily. Or if you want to live somewhere cool, live somewhere in or near the triangle formed by the Shaw, Columbia Heights, and Dupont Circle stations. Then you can walk to almost anywhere worth going in DC and don't have to worry about the metro closing.

MoFauxHawk fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Apr 7, 2011

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

billion dollar bitch posted:

Frogzilla lives with roommates who may or may not have lost a great sum of money forex trading; living in his room may wind up exposing you to a steady stream of Yakuza coming to extract payment from their client. It probably won't bother them if they happen to chop off the wrong finger...

The Sri Lankan girl's family still thinks that she's in Teacher's College, so you really don't have to worry about it.

I seriously still don't understand how you can lose EVERYTHING on the Forex market. I mean, presumably you'd still have something in some other form of currency, right? It mystifies me. Did he buy Zimbabwean currency or something?

I need a place in SF this summer btw, if any of you know a place.

Edit: I also really need a new username, this one was a throwaway in like 2007. I'm thinking awful obnoxious 1L joke so you can all automatically loathe me, since that is most efficient.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

MechaFrogzilla posted:

I seriously still don't understand how you can lose EVERYTHING on the Forex market. I mean, presumably you'd still have something in some other form of currency, right? It mystifies me. Did he buy Zimbabwean currency or something?

You can get massive amounts of leverage on Forex, 100-1 is not uncommon and can easily wipe out your account if you don't know what you are doing.

Bathing Jesus
Aug 26, 2003

MechaFrogzilla posted:

I need a place in SF this summer btw, if any of you know a place.

Edit: I also really need a new username, this one was a throwaway in like 2007. I'm thinking awful obnoxious 1L joke so you can all automatically loathe me, since that is most efficient.

"Saucy Intruder" - the trivia team name that completely unconnected groups of 1Ls choose every year. Every loving year.

qwertyman
May 2, 2003

Congress gave me $3.1 trillion, which I already spent on extremely dangerous drugs. We had acid, cocaine, and a whole galaxy of uppers, downers, screamers, laughers, and amyls.

Bathing Jesus posted:

"Saucy Intruder" - the trivia team name that completely unconnected groups of 1Ls choose every year. Every loving year.

I always hear about Learned Hand Job or Unestoppelable.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

MechaFrogzilla posted:

renvoi and stimpy

nm
Jan 28, 2008

qwertyman posted:

"Smokey Balls"

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

qwertyman posted:

Surely that should just be Unestoppable?

(please god kill me now)

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

nm posted:

Public pretenders don't get associates.
Still out. They tried to hang at 11-1, but the judge wouldn't let them.

Are you required to physically wait or something? The PDs up here just give out their cell numbers and agree to be available to return to court within 10 minutes of the judge's secretary calling. Then they go back to their office. It's pretty much the only free time they have when they're guaranteed to not be in court doing arraignments or something.

Edit: Eminent Domination has been my go-to lawyerly name for things. You may use that as a forums name.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

BigHead posted:

Are you required to physically wait or something? The PDs up here just give out their cell numbers and agree to be available to return to court within 10 minutes of the judge's secretary calling. Then they go back to their office. It's pretty much the only free time they have when they're guaranteed to not be in court doing arraignments or something.

Edit: Eminent Domination has been my go-to lawyerly name for things. You may use that as a forums name.
No, i don't have to wait there, but I have to be within 15 minutes (my office).
Sitting around my office stewing sucks though.
Good thing it is over, bad thing it is guilty.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

qwertyman posted:

Lien and Hungry Look.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
Debating virtual office vs. executive suite. Anyone have experience with either one?

(note: virtual office means a location to receive mail, have phone answered, meet clients in a conference room but no actual office; it does not mean internet lawyer that will meet you at Starbucks)

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
In DC for a few, staying near Dupont Cir. Where do I eat?

Zealous Abattoir
Nov 27, 2005
The Pre-Law adviser just told all the Juniors and Sophomores to not go to law school.

I feel like he is two years too late for my class, though.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Phil Moscowitz posted:

In DC for a few, staying near Dupont Cir. Where do I eat?

Malaysia Kopitiam near you is pretty good. Lalibela east of you has good Ethiopian food. It's probably not the best Ethiopian in DC, but it's still great and you should have Ethiopian food while you're in DC. Maybe find a pho place too, but I don't know what pho place is good that's in the city and close to a metro stop. Ben's Chili Bowl isn't overrated, but there's always a long line in front of it unless you go pretty late at night. Amsterdam Falafel House in Adams Morgan is great. Also if you get drunk and want a jumbo slice, don't get any of the ones in Adams Morgan because those suck, get one at Angelico's in the U St. Corridor, those are amazing.

Edit: The DC area has the best pho on the East Coast and the best Ethiopian food in America so that's why you might want to go out of your way to eat those two types of food.

MoFauxHawk fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Apr 8, 2011

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Thanks MFH and entris for the recs. Will try to get some Ethiopian for lunch tomorrow if not too much rain.

srsly
Aug 1, 2003

Alaemon posted:

Lien and Hungry Look.

Still a big fan of Writ of Man Anus.

srsly
Aug 1, 2003

nm posted:

No, i don't have to wait there, but I have to be within 15 minutes (my office).
Sitting around my office stewing sucks though.
Good thing it is over, bad thing it is guilty.

Sucks. My ex and I were vaguely talking about trying to work things out for a bit last year, and she said "Hey let's both leave work and run away to the city today!"

But I had to wait for a verdict.

Your life could be worse.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Thanks MFH and entris for the recs. Will try to get some Ethiopian for lunch tomorrow if not too much rain.

Phil, for the love of god, eat here.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/sichuan-pavilion-washington#query:szechuan%20chinese%20food

Seriously, it's amazing. I can't emphasize that enough. It's the best food I've had in DC.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

HiddenReplaced posted:

Phil, for the love of god, eat here.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/sichuan-pavilion-washington#query:szechuan%20chinese%20food

Seriously, it's amazing. I can't emphasize that enough. It's the best food I've had in DC.
That's a few blocks from my office and I haven't been there yet. I'm going to have to check it out.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

mrtoodles posted:

Sucks. My ex and I were vaguely talking about trying to work things out for a bit last year, and she said "Hey let's both leave work and run away to the city today!"

But I had to wait for a verdict.

True.
Two unconnected eyewitnesses didn't help my case at all.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

mrtoodles posted:

He could be the defendant :rimshot:

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Zealous Abattoir posted:

The Pre-Law adviser just told all the Juniors and Sophomores to not go to law school.

I feel like he is two years too late for my class, though.

A reporter just asked me and two other clerks if we supported the potential bill to open the first law school in Alaska. We laughed at her face and told her the bill's sponsor was a loving idiot, which he is for a lot of reasons, then I referred her to the blogs But I Did Everything Right and Above the Law. God I hope she quotes me.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Is Ethiopian a real cuisine choice or are you just making fun of starving children? Edit: after reading the "Ethiopian cuisine" wikipedia article, you should be ashamed of yourself either way sir.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Apr 8, 2011

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Question - did anyone here ever take a class outside of their law school? They allow me to take classes pretty much wherever here (B-School and Policy School being what I'm into) for credit towards the JD and I'm interested. Employers ever give you poo poo for it?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

BigHead posted:

Is Ethiopian a real cuisine choice or are you just making fun of starving children? Edit: after reading the "Ethiopian cuisine" wikipedia article, you should be ashamed of yourself either way sir.

I meant I was going to try and eat a poor immigrant child, you dolt. I understand they're very lean.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I meant I was going to try and eat a poor immigrant child, you dolt. I understand they're very lean.
But they totally ruin it by serving them on that spongy bread

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Come to Texas, we got lots of 'em. What do you think queso is made from?

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

sigmachiev posted:

Question - did anyone here ever take a class outside of their law school? They allow me to take classes pretty much wherever here (B-School and Policy School being what I'm into) for credit towards the JD and I'm interested. Employers ever give you poo poo for it?

I'm taking some statistics and accounting courses next year. They count as pass/fail, but I have a hard time believing employers would give you poo poo about it. That stuff is way more useful than regular law classes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poofactory
May 6, 2003

by T. Finn

Omerta posted:

I'm taking some statistics and accounting courses next year. They count as pass/fail, but I have a hard time believing employers would give you poo poo about it. That stuff is way more useful than regular law classes.

Yeah, employers only care that you have a license to practice, have your own car and won't complain about the $10/hour pay.