Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ben and Stew
Mar 31, 2006

Woah!

rt4 posted:

Oh, that's not a taser he's got there!

ho ho ho well i guess you learn something new every day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH
I'm always happy for the new page because it means five hundred gigantic images no longer load and the scroll wheel doesn't go berserk and the "go to newest post" feature doesn't take twenty seconds to get there

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003
Man, I wish there were more drummers who posted here. :(

communistdew
Sep 11, 2005
Where do we light our cigars with dollah bills?
Oh goodness. After around a year of buying parts and futzing around and generally tinkering and saving money, I've built a beauty:

Clearcoated ash stringthrough body with maple neck. Oil in paper cap and Seymour Duncan Alnico Pro IIs. No load pot on the tone so I can just hear it hum along by its ol' self. Oldschool 3 brass saddles and ashtray bridge. Booyah.

I'm in love.

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."
Is that a veneer top as well? Also, looks great and I bet it sounds phenomenal too. Very nice work.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

hunter x az posted:

Man, I wish there were more drummers who posted here. :(
Thread is rather guit-fiddle-centric...

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003

Oldstench posted:

Thread is rather guit-fiddle-centric...

Yeah. I also think that drumming is a lot more expensive than playing guitar, so people upgrade and burn through gear less often than other types of instruments.

communistdew
Sep 11, 2005

Ferrous Wheel posted:

Is that a veneer top as well? Also, looks great and I bet it sounds phenomenal too. Very nice work.

Nope! I just got lucky with a nice grain on the body. Thanks for the compliment!

It does sound amazing. A little more bassy than I'm used to at some points, but the tone knob is really versatile. Have to play with pickup height a little I think.

maximadigital
Jul 24, 2008

semi-iconic
Some recent upgrades to the bedroom, err, studio. Chronologically:

Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 recording interface.

Needed a cheap dual-humbucker six-string, took a bit of a chance with this one. It's a Malden Karma from the clearance sale, the last one they had with the natural finish according to the guy I spoke to. I'm pretty happy with the purchase, good value for the money although tuning stability could be better and the stock pickups already had to go (which was the original intention anyhow).

A pair of Mackie HR624mk2's. Still in the plastic wrap from the factory, want to keep my greasy fingerprints (which the front panel already fell victim to, evidently) off these things for as long as possible.

Action shot:

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
Got 2 new amps in this week.

First up is a Mark IV version A (pre-1994)
I haven't cranked it yet since I am in an apartment, but it sounds decent at low volumes. I had some problems with the sound getting quiet and loud again, but think it may have been my speaker cable or something. It swapped the tubes, and it didnt fix it, so I swapped the speaker cable and it stopped. I then swapped the tubes and even the speaker cable back to the originals and it hasn't come back, so I may have just not had the cable plugged in all the way at first. I will find out for sure this weekend at practice. Though I may have it looked over by an amp tech anyway since it is almost 20 years old. This is replacing a Single Rectifier.

Second is a Fender Super Champ XD that someone turned into a nice looking head.

I love this thing, it just sounds great and I like the amp models in the DSP. It is replacing a Valve JR and many pedals. Now I am just debating on keeping the Valve Jr cab or maybe making a matching cab for a 10" speaker like a Ragin Cajun like many people swap out with the original SCXD speaker, any thoughts?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Finally got myself something to record with: a DP-004. It's easy enough to use and though I don't have much interest in the 2 built-in mics, it makes surprisingly good tracks with my lovely dynamic mic and cheap tube preamp.

I'll have to give the next rockstar a shot now!

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

Well hello there.

Been thinking about getting these for a while now. Went to Guitar Center to get some picks and strings this morning and saw these in the cabinet with a price sticker that said EMG $99. I thought to myself, that's certainly wrong, but if I buy it they have to honor that price, right?

It rang up as $180. I only paid $99. :rock:

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
That is awesome. Just. Awesome.

in_absentia
Feb 6, 2008

LYNCHINGS ARE WHAT GIVE THE SOUTH ITS CHARM!
:3:
(not a bigot)
I last posted in this thread about a year ago. At that time I had decided to get back into music after a 15 year hiatus. I started last year with a new Epiphone Les Paul Ultra, a Fender Vibro Champ XD, and a Boss ME-70 Effects unit. I have since gotten rid of the ME-70, upgraded the lovely Epiphone pickups with EMG 81/85 set and acquired the following equipment.

My "Leftover Parts HSS Strat". Warmoth body with rosewood neck. DiMarzio Pickups, all Fender Hardware.
Les Paul Ultra w/EMG 81/85 set.
Cheap-o pawn shop Fender acoustic/electric
M-Audio Venom Virtual Analog Synth/Midi Controller
M-Audio Firewire Solo (guitar interface)
Behringer Xenyx cheap-o mixer.
Akai APC20
Novation Zero SLMKII
27" i5 iMac w/Ableton Suite
iPad w/ various coreMIDI apps

The only thing I have left to buy is a decent set of studio monitors and I will be completely happy with my setup.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
Aw yisssss

Grabbed this critter from Ludlow Guitars yesterday. The pedal offers so much control, and I've only just scratched the surface of this beast. I'm loving it so far, though. Sounds great on bass or guitar.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

betterinsodapop posted:

Aw yisssss

Grabbed this critter from Ludlow Guitars yesterday. The pedal offers so much control, and I've only just scratched the surface of this beast. I'm loving it so far, though. Sounds great on bass or guitar.

I love this pedal. The sub switch is great and I love the fact that you can dial in the level of fuzz and then take out the fizziness with the tone knob. It's so awesome on bass.

cranky pomme
Dec 30, 2008

Ahh! Here he comes!
So a week ago, my beloved Fender Jaguar bass got stolen. :arghfist::( I really, really loved absolutely everything about the bass, so I decided I'd just save up for another--but it turns out they've been discontinued in the US. The internet tells me I can buy it from Best Buy, but I'm wondering if I shouldn't take this opportunity to try out some better basses. Anyone have any suggestions?

Oh, I guess I mostly play jazz if that's any help.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
I've definitely seen the Japanese Jaguar Bass on eBay. Why not just try an actual J-bass?
Also, Best Buy sells the Jaguar Bass? :psyduck:

Afterburner
Aug 17, 2004

Following leaders leads nowhere.
Just arrived from Guitar Center, Peavey Zodiac DE Scorpio:

Paid $250

Buying this soon, Hartke 3500 300w 2x10:

Afterburner fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Apr 6, 2011

Krabsworth
Feb 20, 2011

by T. Mascis
Sunn Spectrum I Bass/Guitar head + 1x15inch cabinet...

\m/

cranky pomme
Dec 30, 2008

Ahh! Here he comes!

betterinsodapop posted:

I've definitely seen the Japanese Jaguar Bass on eBay. Why not just try an actual J-bass?
Also, Best Buy sells the Jaguar Bass? :psyduck:

I live a million miles from any store that sells it (drat midwest shithole), and it's only for sale in-store. But yeah I'll probably go hunt on eBay for a new one.

As for just getting a J-bass, I dunno. I've always preferred my jaguar over the j-bass no matter how many times I play a j-bass--I like the flexibility of tone that I can get out of a Jaguar because although I mainly play jazz, my group likes to branch out a lot: we may do motown one day, blues another, and classic rock and calypso on another day. My younger students also love to play around with the doodads and find out what sort of sound they gravitate towards before they buy nicer basses.

Also, I just realized that there is a bass thread that I could have posted this derailing poo poo in. :v: Sorry.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hey all, I'm about to order a TC Electronic Hall Of Fame reverb pedal. It's going to be permenantly on and in the effects loop of my Mesa Single Rectifier which regretfully doesn't have reverb.

Since I'm putting things into the effect loop, I've always wanted to try out a BBE Sonic Stomp. Should this sucker go BEFORE or AFTER the Reverb? I was thinking before, 'cos then it makes everything tight before it gets echoey...

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Hammer Floyd posted:

Hey all, I'm about to order a TC Electronic Hall Of Fame reverb pedal. It's going to be permenantly on and in the effects loop of my Mesa Single Rectifier which regretfully doesn't have reverb.

Since I'm putting things into the effect loop, I've always wanted to try out a BBE Sonic Stomp. Should this sucker go BEFORE or AFTER the Reverb? I was thinking before, 'cos then it makes everything tight before it gets echoey...

I'd put it before as well. But there's no reason why you couldn't try it out both ways and stick to the one you like better.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Afterburner posted:

Buying this soon, Hartke 3500 300w 2x10:

I hate to be a party-pooper, but how set are you on this Hartke combo? I'm biased since I had a terrible time with one of their 115 combos, which was both heavy and badly-constructed. The premium Hartke gear seems pretty solid, but they seem to skimp when it comes to their more affordable offerings.

Hartke is also not the most straightforward company when it comes to power ratings.

Even if you're on a budget, I would think there has to be better stuff out there.

mr_package
Jun 13, 2000

Hammer Floyd posted:

Yeah you don't normally want to compress your reverb tails; you would want a normal-sounding decay. But, try it and see.. you might find for example in a live situation that putting the compressor afterwards helps the reverb stand out more without having to crank it up and drown your guitar tone in it.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Hammer Floyd posted:

I've been eying this exact pedal. I don't think I'm going to get it yet, my DA5 works well enough, for now, but I keep hearing people say they want it really badly. And the reviews are outstanding.

Speakin' of which, Agreed, you ditching any of them pedals?

7.62WorldOrder
Apr 19, 2002

in_absentia posted:

I last posted in this thread about a year ago. At that time I had decided to get back into music after a 15 year hiatus. I started last year with a new Epiphone Les Paul Ultra, a Fender Vibro Champ XD, and a Boss ME-70 Effects unit. I have since gotten rid of the ME-70, upgraded the lovely Epiphone pickups with EMG 81/85 set and acquired the following equipment.

My "Leftover Parts HSS Strat". Warmoth body with rosewood neck. DiMarzio Pickups, all Fender Hardware.
Les Paul Ultra w/EMG 81/85 set.
Cheap-o pawn shop Fender acoustic/electric
M-Audio Venom Virtual Analog Synth/Midi Controller
M-Audio Firewire Solo (guitar interface)
Behringer Xenyx cheap-o mixer.
Akai APC20
Novation Zero SLMKII
27" i5 iMac w/Ableton Suite
iPad w/ various coreMIDI apps

The only thing I have left to buy is a decent set of studio monitors and I will be completely happy with my setup.

I dig your setup. How are you liking the Venom? I've been curious about those but have settled for an M-Audio Axiom 49 using various soft synths for the time being. And what's that software on the iPad?

in_absentia
Feb 6, 2008

(not a bigot)

7.62WorldOrder posted:

I dig your setup. How are you liking the Venom? I've been curious about those but have settled for an M-Audio Axiom 49 using various soft synths for the time being. And what's that software on the iPad?

The Venom is quite deep and very fun for a $500 synth. I got laughed out of the Synthesizers! thread for buying it, but after reading the review on MatrixSynth I couldn't resist. It takes a little setting up, but once I configured it to run in conjunction with TouchOSC on the iPad I have fallen completely in love with it. I almost bought the Axiom 49 but decided to go with the Venom + Novation for all the knobs and keys I could possibly need. On the iPad I have found that iMS-20, iElectribe, and TouchAble are alot of fun. I've been playing with StepPolyArp on the iPad as a sequencer and have found it to be quite capable also. The APC20 has opened up a whole new world to me as far as Ableton is concerned.

I still have a long way to go in learning Midi, Synths, and Music production in general. I can say that I am completely happy with my setup and I am having tons of fun with my hobby. I think I'm just about finished buying stuff for now, the only things I want are a good set of studio monitors, more software as I already own Komplete 7, and a few more guitars that I am lusting after. After I get my studio monitors I'm going to start saving up money to buy a real Gibson Explorer and a Fender Telecaster. I'm also looking seriously at the Mesa 5:50 Amp.

Feel free to ask any questions you would like about my gear. I'll try to answer to the best of my ability.

Also, can anyone here recommend a good site/forum for general Midi discussion? I'm trying to learn about the different control methods and more about The Missing Link.

Edit: Here is the review that swayed me into ignoring the Synthesizers! thread and buying the Venom. http://matrixsynth.blogspot.com/2011/03/m-audio-venom-review-and-interview-with.html

in_absentia fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Apr 8, 2011

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Crossposted from the amplifier thread: I was browsing eBay and snapped up a Guitar Research T30R for a little under $50, including shipping. 30W, single tube preamp. I like this thing a lot.

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

You'll love me, I promise.
Still waiting for my Shruth-1 kit.

If you haven't checked out this awesome synth, there are some demos here: http://mutable-instruments.net/shruthi1c

As cool as that picture looks, what I'm getting looks more like:

Still trying to decide if I want to solder this fucker myself, or hire RivensBitch to do it for me :) I do find soldering fun, but I also want my Shruthi1 to be reliable/strong.

I also acquired and built a Meeblip, which I am loving patched through the Monotron's filter, and sequenced via StepPolyArp on the iPad using CoreMIDI:

Along with all of this came a gaggle of iPad apps for sequencing and triggering of external synths, an iPad camera connection kit and a Line6 MIDI Mobilizer so that I can use MIDI with my iPad as well.

renderful fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Apr 8, 2011

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I've been looking at both of those, as well as the Mopho, for my Taurus-ish project. How's the bass on the MeeBlip?

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

Here's a demo of some acid-ish bass I made going from Meeblip through the Monotron filter while I tweak the filter and a few of the Meeblip params: http://soundcloud.com/renderful/meeblip-demo-acid

If a fun synth for tweaking, and sounds pretty good raw. The fact that there are no menus makes it a tweaker's paradise.

edit: here are some more bass demos from the Meeblip Noisepages group: http://soundcloud.com/wizards-of-zen/sets/meeblip-8-bit-bass-samples

renderful fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Apr 8, 2011

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Warcabbit posted:

I've been eying this exact pedal. I don't think I'm going to get it yet, my DA5 works well enough, for now, but I keep hearing people say they want it really badly. And the reviews are outstanding.

Speakin' of which, Agreed, you ditching any of them pedals?

I'll be getting rid of dirts, primarily. Er, solely. All sorts of dirts. Dirt for everyone! Hooray...

Speaking of which, just got the new Leviathan Fuzz in, so... I guess I'll be selling most of my fuzzes, now, too, which is weird and unexpected but it lives up to what Brian said it'd be able to do.

I might send the Aramat Mojo fuzz to Keith's family (nos GE fuzz face, great pedal, but between the Algal Bloom and our Leviathan I think I've got pretty much everything covered). I understand they were looking for some examples of his work to remember him by... Not sure if it's too late to do that or not. There's some domain squatter who bought the domain and is sort of semi-profiteering on it, turned it into a half-tribute, but half advertising and general guitar RSS blogroll thing. Keith was a really nice guy. gently caress cancer.

communistdew
Sep 11, 2005

renderful posted:

I also acquired and built a Meeblip, which I am loving patched through the Monotron's filter, and sequenced via StepPolyArp on the iPad using CoreMIDI:

Nice. I just ordered a Meeblip myself. Waiting for the backorder from the sale. I couldn't say no. Excited to run it through my Monotron. Now I just have to figure out how to build a sequencer... hmm.

Edit: Yeah I just checked and you can still get the solder it yourself and build-a-nice-enclosure-out-of-wood-and-your-carpentry-talents version for $59 + shipping from Canada (about $12, ugh). On backorder til the 4/29 though.

communistdew fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Apr 9, 2011

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

communistdew posted:

Nice. I just ordered a Meeblip myself. Waiting for the backorder from the sale. I couldn't say no. Excited to run it through my Monotron. Now I just have to figure out how to build a sequencer... hmm.

Edit: Yeah I just checked and you can still get the solder it yourself and build-a-nice-enclosure-out-of-wood-and-your-carpentry-talents version for $59 + shipping from Canada (about $12, ugh). On backorder til the 4/29 though.

Awesome, I imagine you'll have a lot of fun with it. I'd like to build my own, sturdier version with built in sequencer at some point soon. I already built a simple sequencer out of Sparkfun parts(my wife works there weeee). I just used an Arduino Uno and a MIDI Shield. For a prebuilt MIDI sequencer shield(expansion) for the Arduino, I recommend: http://www.beat707.com/w/ I'm also a fan of this Arduino sequencer project: http://beatseqr.com/

Having an iPad, there are tons of awesome options, but the DIY element is awesome as well.

communistdew
Sep 11, 2005

renderful posted:

Awesome, I imagine you'll have a lot of fun with it. I'd like to build my own, sturdier version with built in sequencer at some point soon. I already built a simple sequencer out of Sparkfun parts(my wife works there weeee). I just used an Arduino Uno and a MIDI Shield. For a prebuilt MIDI sequencer shield(expansion) for the Arduino, I recommend: http://www.beat707.com/w/ I'm also a fan of this Arduino sequencer project: http://beatseqr.com/

Having an iPad, there are tons of awesome options, but the DIY element is awesome as well.

Oh nice. I hadn't run across that beat707 shield. Looks promising. I'd love a link to how you made the simple one from the Sparkfun parts! I'm amassing a large wishlist from them for an Arduinome, so if it's just as simple as getting the shield then I'll grab one of those too!

I might make a thread for DIY electronic instruments like Arduinomes/sequencers/synths, etc. once I get things underway.

Then I'll post a picture of everything in this thread. Sorry for the derail.

Geb
Mar 22, 2007

A Crystal Sword?! I'm all about swords! How did you know?!
So I'm thinking about buying a Fender Mustang II amp to run my MIM Tele through.

I've read a lot of reviews that sing their praises, but I was wondering if any goons had any first hand experience with them?

The place I'm looking at has this one for 250AUD.

in_absentia
Feb 6, 2008

(not a bigot)

Geb posted:

So I'm thinking about buying a Fender Mustang II amp to run my MIM Tele through.

I've read a lot of reviews that sing their praises, but I was wondering if any goons had any first hand experience with them?

The place I'm looking at has this one for 250AUD.

Are you looking at this amp due to price? Size? For $200 you could get a vibro champ that has tubes and modeling. It only has an 8" speaker, but it makes one hell of a tone compared to the Mustang. If you have the chance, check them out side by side. The Mustang II is a great amp, but for the same price you could get the Vibro Champ and have a much nicer sounding amp.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I've got the Mustang III. The II doesn't have all the controls on the amp itself like the III and above do, so you'll need to make sure it is near your PC if you want to tweak stuff perfectly.

As far as sound, it does everything. Check out the Fender forums, a lot of those guys have all given up their Fender tube amps for these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geb
Mar 22, 2007

A Crystal Sword?! I'm all about swords! How did you know?!

in_absentia posted:

Are you looking at this amp due to price? Size? For $200 you could get a vibro champ that has tubes and modeling. It only has an 8" speaker, but it makes one hell of a tone compared to the Mustang. If you have the chance, check them out side by side. The Mustang II is a great amp, but for the same price you could get the Vibro Champ and have a much nicer sounding amp.

Availability and price really. Over here it looks like a vibro champ would set me back an extra $100-150 and they're more difficult to find.