Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I'm going to drive over my HTC Mogul just as soon as I get an answer to...

I want a big fancy Android based phone, but I'm not buying the Evo with the 3D coming out sometime this year. I'm curious, what's a good or good-enough used phone I can get for $75 to $100 either in SA-Mart or on Craigslist that runs Android and won't make me regret the purchase? I'd like an Android phone to start getting used to it because I think it's very cool, but I'd also like to not spend a boatload of money because I may want to get in on the first wave of 3Ds

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Apr 8, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

teamdest posted:

Not to intrude on your PRL-hacking discussion and whatnot, but I'm kind of wondering about the data cap on Sprint. after 5GB on 3G is additional data throttled, or charged extra, or shut off, or something else entirely?

If you repeatedly use a large amount of data they send you a letter asking you to use less otherwise they will terminate your contact. This is fairly rare.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I want a big fancy Android based phone, but I'm not buying the Evo with the 3D coming out sometime this year. I'm curious, what's a good or good-enough used phone I can get for $75 to $100 either in SA-Mart or on Craigslist that runs Android and won't make me regret the purchase? I'd like an Android phone to start getting used to it because I think it's very cool, but I'd also like to not spend a boatload of money because I may want to get in on the first wave of 3Ds

Holy poo poo, I smashed my Mogul to pieces in a fit of rage like a year ago.

Really the only phone worth considering is the HTC Hero. Stock kind of sucks but you can learn all about custom roms and rooting and then sell it after you upgrade, probably for the same price you paid. Of course, you could do the same thing with an EVO but I don't know how tyre release of the 3D will affect the price.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

heat posted:

Holy poo poo, I smashed my Mogul to pieces in a fit of rage like a year ago.
I've hated this phone since day drat one, what an awful, awful phone. The best illustration of how sick I am was probably just a few weeks ago. The phone was stuck in that nice "I'm locked but not going to react to your pushing the power button or the unlock button" limbo, so I couldn't get it to do anything. This happens weekly. After 20 seconds of trying to get that god forsaken battery door off to reboot it the hard way, I decided on the easy way - threw it down on the ground, battery came shooting out, problem the gently caress solved.

HTC Hero will be juuust fine, will probably compare it to 1-2 more options just to see what is out there, and then buy a Real Phone.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL
boom

http://www.broadbandreports.com/shownews/Credit-Suisse-SprintLightsquared-Deal-to-be-Announced-Soon-113587

quote:

Credit Suisse: Sprint/Lightsquared Deal to be Announced Soon
Lightsquared Will Lease Access to 45,000 Sprint Base Stations
by Karl Bode yesterday tags: competition ˇ business ˇ bandwidth

You may have noted that Lightsquared is certainly talking a lot for a company that doesn't actually have an LTE network built yet -- something that many correctly point out when expressing skepticism about whether or not the company pulls their LTE plans off. However, as we noted in an exclusive story in March, a big portion of Lightsquared's plans involve piggybacking on Sprint's planned $5 billion base-station retrofit, which is being done in part to help Sprint transition from Mobile WiMax to LTE. Credit Suisse now insists that the deal should be announced within a month, closely followed by a new network sharing deal with Clearwire with Sprint in the driver's seat:

"We assume LightSquared leases access to all 45,000 Sprint base stations, giving them a nationwide network. We assume they lease base stations at the pace that Sprint installs them, with lease payments starting at the beginning of 2012 and covering all 45,000 base stations by the end of 2013. We assume Clearwire leases 28,000 base stations to expand coverage to another 70 million POPs and replace some of their existing base stations. Clearwire will need an estimated 12,000 base stations in addition to the base stations they lease from Sprint, because they have higher frequency spectrum than Sprint (we assume Sprint's network will be configured for 1.9GHz spectrum, which has greater reach than Clearwire's 2.5GHz spectrum)."

According to the Sprint network roadmap, their network upgrade project involves having Alcatel-Lucent, Ericsson and Samsung retrofit every Sprint cell site, eliminating the refrigerator-sized cabinets for each technology (800 MHz, 1.9 GHz and 2.5 GHz) in favor of small, more energy efficient multi-mode base stations. While Sprint publicly is playing coy about whether or not they'll make the shift to LTE, the decision has already been made -- Mobile WiMax and LTE networks will be run simultaneously at first -- and Clearwire and Lightsquared will play a very large role in the transition.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Cool, maybe in 5-10 years I'll see something lighting up here in Omaha.

No, really. Moderate-sized city in Sprint HQ's backyard and they couldn't be arsed to put up as much as a single protection tower. I understand Wimax is apparently being phased out but not even a single goddamn tower? Why yes Sprint of course I'll believe it's coming soon.

I still have moral obligations to myself not to switch to Verizon (aka the Comcast of mobile networks) or AT&T (aka the bunny ears antenna of mobile networks), so I'll just accept that Mr. Hesse just hits me because he loves me.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Apr 8, 2011

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

The Entire Universe posted:

Cool, maybe in 5-10 years I'll see something lighting up here in Omaha.

No, really. Moderate-sized city in Sprint HQ's backyard and they couldn't be arsed to put up as much as a single protection tower. I understand Wimax is apparently being phased out but not even a single goddamn tower? Why yes Sprint of course I'll believe it's coming soon.

I still have moral obligations to myself not to switch to Verizon (aka the Comcast of mobile networks) or AT&T (aka the bunny ears antenna of mobile networks), so I'll just accept that Mr. Hesse just hits me because he loves me.

Technically Clearwire was the one building out the 4G network, so as long as you get 3G Sprint did their job. Now, if you don't get 4G by the end of 2013, then you could probably objectively blame Sprint, but afaik no other carriers have 4G in Omaha either

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
To anyone who cares, we just got a leather case in for the motorola xoom. I wonder what that means.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Mahoning posted:

To anyone who cares, we just got a leather case in for the motorola xoom. I wonder what that means.

That Peta hates you?

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Looks like that has been leaked for a bit, that the xoom is coming to Sprint. I am more interested in the leather case. Tell me more!

Edit: Seriously, not trying to be flippant here. I have the portfolio case on my Xoom and though it is adequate, that is all it is. A nice leather case would be the bee's knees.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Turnquiet posted:

Looks like that has been leaked for a bit, that the xoom is coming to Sprint.
The fact that two Google-experience, and essentially developer devices are coming to Sprint presumably unlocked, is very encouraging. Good news.

Deadpan Science
Sep 6, 2005

by angerbeet

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I have a hero right now and it's slow as heck even with cyanogen's overclock. I'd just wait for the evo 3D if I were you.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

Deadpan Science posted:

I have a hero right now and it's slow as heck even with cyanogen's overclock. I'd just wait for the evo 3D if I were you.

He's coming from a Mogul, so the speed of the Hero will be nothing short of amazing.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Oh for crying out

I want a phone that works when I push a button. I also want it to be a smart phone. It would seem that these two are mutually exclusive.

Put it this way - my fiancé has something called an LG Chocolate which was made before any of us had a Blu-ray player, and it does this weird thing where when you push a button, it actually does something. It's just amazing. I'd kinda expect the All Power HTC Mogul!!! to be able to do that, but no. Looking at the specs, surely an HTC Hero could load a webpage before I "fix" the phone with the bottom of my shoe?

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Oh for crying out

I want a phone that works when I push a button. I also want it to be a smart phone. It would seem that these two are mutually exclusive.

Put it this way - my fiancé has something called an LG Chocolate which was made before any of us had a Blu-ray player, and it does this weird thing where when you push a button, it actually does something. It's just amazing. I'd kinda expect the All Power HTC Mogul!!! to be able to do that, but no. Looking at the specs, surely an HTC Hero could load a webpage before I "fix" the phone with the bottom of my shoe?

I feel your pain, but you are really looking at a 2-3 month wait, TOPS.

If you absolutely must replace the Mogul now, and I definitely understand that sentiment, then at least spring for a used Optimus S, as that's a phone you should be able to resell for what you paid for it in 2-3 months.

z16bitsega
Nov 26, 2005

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Oh for crying out

The Optimus S should be around the same price as the Hero used and is by most accounts a much better phone. Of course I went from a Touch Pro 2 to a Hero and it was like having my whole world changed, so no matter what you get I'm sure it will be a ridiculous upgrade.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
That soon? I felt like I read last night, Q4 2011 for the 3D.

Even still, 2-3 more months of this.

I mean, the other day I unplugged it before work, and it was dead when I got home, because it spent all day roaming and looking for wireless and who even knows what this thing does. I just hate it, and it's making me hate myself, and I have no self confidence, and it's affecting my social life, and

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL
uuhhhhhhhh

http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/08/leaked-verizon-unleashed-pricing-sheets-detail-50-unlimited-tal/

I wonder what comes after "Mobile web does not provide full..."

edit: nvm this looks like prepaid stuff, at first I thought it was the Simply Everything plan for $50 which was like :stare:

torb main fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Apr 8, 2011

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
None of you are enrolled in automatic payments to avoid the $4.99 account spending limit charge? At what point between your usual bill issue date and due date does the payment charge to your card?

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

goku chewbacca posted:

None of you are enrolled in automatic payments to avoid the $4.99 account spending limit charge? At what point between your usual bill issue date and due date does the payment charge to your card?

I'm not in this group, but automatic payments happen on your due date.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

goku chewbacca posted:

How long have you had that charge? They waive it after 12 months of on time bill payment.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Oh for crying out

Your anger is my amusement. I laughed hard enough that I cried reading your posts.

Seriously, pick up an HTC Hero for like $50 off ebay/craigslist, significantly reduce your stress, and live long enough to buy the EVO 3D / Nexus S 4G when the come out in a couple months. Then, sell the Hero for $25-$50 to some idiot who still wants one.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Criminy crap on an undulating crutch, I live in Orange County and don't have 4g coverage, what's the point of living?

I have "SERO 1250" - I'll be able to pick up a Hero and activate it without changing my plan, correct? $53.06 just feels right. Or will I need to switch to that SERO premium nonsense mentioned in the OP? I always worry that if I speak to someone at Sprint, they'll catch on to my lies and my next bill will be like $140.

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Criminy crap on an undulating crutch, I live in Orange County and don't have 4g coverage, what's the point of living?

I have "SERO 1250" - I'll be able to pick up a Hero and activate it without changing my plan, correct? $53.06 just feels right. Or will I need to switch to that SERO premium nonsense mentioned in the OP? I always worry that if I speak to someone at Sprint, they'll catch on to my lies and my next bill will be like $140.

You will have to switch to SERO Premium which runs $40/month so after taxes it's like $49+ a month.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

thisdude23 posted:

You will have to switch to SERO Premium which runs $40/month so after taxes it's like $49+ a month.
I have to get a better phone and save money?

This loving economy. :argh:

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

thisdude23 posted:

It runs $40/mo for 500 minutes. However since SERO Preimum includes Any Mobile calling, it's quite likely that he no longer needs 1250 minutes, so it's a wash.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Also if anyone cares, we got in capacitive styli today. $20 and it's loving sweet. I'm going to buy one just to have it for my EVO and when I get a tablet.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Mahoning posted:

Also if anyone cares, we got in capacitive styli today. $20 and it's loving sweet. I'm going to buy one just to have it for my EVO and when I get a tablet.

I've never seen one. Are they the same size as a standard stylus? When I think of capacitive styli, all I can think of is those big sausage styli.

edit: big sausage styli delivery :pervert:

Vykk.Draygo fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Apr 9, 2011

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

wooom wooom vroooom ksh ksh vooom
The capacitive stylus is about the size of a pen. I was going to buy one but I'm probably getting the HTC view and it already comes with one.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Mahoning posted:

Also if anyone cares, we got in capacitive styli today.
I bet it's really useful with Sketchbook Mobile. Otherwise, is there a good use-case for one?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Chappy posted:

The capacitive stylus is about the size of a pen. I was going to buy one but I'm probably getting the HTC view and it already comes with one.

Apparently not, thats going to be sold separately. And to be honest I wasn't that impressed with it when I saw it in action. The fact that it connects via bluetooth worries me. I'd rather just carry a simple stylus (its about the size of a short pen, complete with a clip to clip it to a shirt or whatever else) that doesn't require that I recharge batteries.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I bet it's really useful with Sketchbook Mobile. Otherwise, is there a good use-case for one?

Just try one, then you'll understand. I would use this thing while browsing the web ALL THE TIME because its more accurate than my gigantic fingers.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Alman posted:

Technically Clearwire was the one building out the 4G network, so as long as you get 3G Sprint did their job. Now, if you don't get 4G by the end of 2013, then you could probably objectively blame Sprint, but afaik no other carriers have 4G in Omaha either

Well no wonder Clearwire is broke. It's going to suck if someone comes in and jacks their spectrum in this area, though I don't know how long until their usage license expires/gets pulled by the FCC.

mophomanners
Feb 6, 2008

The Entire Universe posted:

Well no wonder Clearwire is broke. It's going to suck if someone comes in and jacks their spectrum in this area, though I don't know how long until their usage license expires/gets pulled by the FCC.

no one can come in and jack the spectrum.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Mahoning posted:

Just try one, then you'll understand. I would use this thing while browsing the web ALL THE TIME because its more accurate than my gigantic fingers.
I used a stylus for years on tiny resistive screens, is it fundamentally different than that? Except for sketching, I don't really miss it.

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
Everytime I restart my EVO Shift, the phone sends random old texts to people in my contacts. Is this an Android problem?

Deadpan Science
Sep 6, 2005

by angerbeet

jerman999 posted:

Everytime I restart my EVO Shift, the phone sends random old texts to people in my contacts. Is this an Android problem?

No

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

jerman999 posted:

My Shift does not do this.

Unrelated I've noticed that my F key works about 50% of the time. Can I swap to a new Shift for free? Should I wait till down the road and swap+upgrade to a newer phone?

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

I need a phone I can use internationally for the next few months. Based on this page it doesn't look like I have a lot of choices. Any thoughts on which of these are best?

Also, I'm still on classic SERO. I know I'll have to upgrade to SERO Premium to use anything other than my poo poo Mogul, but is there anything else I need to do to be covered internationally?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

jerman999 posted:

My g/f's phone keeps doing this, I keep meaning to call tech support to ask why.

WTFBEES posted:

I need a phone I can use internationally for the next few months. Based on this page it doesn't look like I have a lot of choices. Any thoughts on which of these are best?

Also, I'm still on classic SERO. I know I'll have to upgrade to SERO Premium to use anything other than my poo poo Mogul, but is there anything else I need to do to be covered internationally?

Buy a used Blackberry Tour off craigslist. Blackberry Bold is even better if you can find it because it has WiFi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I did end up buying that HTC Hero

YYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSS

And of course, rooted already. Huzzah!

Loaded maps, it found me within 6 meters, I touch-screened over to a local restaurant, clicked it, it brought up the info, I clicked the phone number, and it called it. I literally orgasmed.