Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

guidoanselmi posted:

I don't think I've shot a roll of ektar I was happy with, but I'm def in the minority. it's latitude is less than slide film and that's too fickle for me.

Personally, I wouldn't pick negative films for landscapes typically. 160VC and 160C would pass for what you want.

I would argue that it's latitude is slightly better than slide (velvia for sure, maybe not kodak slide) but I'm not sure if it's worse than Portra.

Here's a nice comparison so you can decide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

the first time I shot ektar I was spending time in joshua tree np. I found velvia 50 to be more forgiving.

ektar:

velvia:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

atomicthumbs posted:

I'm thinking of trying something for landscapes with more dynamic range than Velvia. What're you guys' opinions on Ektar 100?

You could always shoot a fine grained negative film for the latitude and then change the saturation in post. As long as you are scanning the film anyways.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
Edit: Moved to the other thread

Mannequin fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Apr 4, 2011

orenji
Oct 12, 2009

orenji fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Aug 23, 2023

Fiannaiocht
Aug 21, 2008

orenji posted:

I've just started using 35mm B&W film for a class I'm taking... do you guys have any suggestions on what kind of pen to use on contact sheets (proof sheets)? My initial thought was 'sharpie', but I'm guessing that it won't show up on the black background of the sheet. Paint pens? Some kind of coloured pencil? What do you guys use?

I would use a red grease pencil.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Just got some film processed from my trip to San Francisco, haven't done any cropping/straightening, but I'm pretty pleased with the film that came out. Something about film just feels...I dont know, It has a different quality than digital that I really did. And its weird starting in digital and switching to film. Most of these are pretty much just street snapshots (with my Nikkormat FT2), but I dig em.

Hotel Kabuki 2 by zachary.spradlin, on Flickr

Red Door 2 by zachary.spradlin, on Flickr

This guy is loving awesome, if you're in SF and near Japantown go eat at the Red Door Cafe.

1135560-R2-027-12 by zachary.spradlin, on Flickr

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
I just inherited a Canon T50! Apparently, according to the lens cap, the official camera of the 1984 Olympic Games!

The owner is my wife's grandfather, who hasn't really ever used it, and let his daughter borrow it, apparently it doesn't work, she's an idiot though probably couldn't use it right. This guy mows his lawns a very specific way and makes sure every blade of grass is in the right spot, rebuilds cars and poo poo, he keeps all of his belongings pristine and in perfect condition. The camera might as well be brand new, this thing is absolutely pristine.

Also...came with a 50-200mm Macro lens! And a Canon Speed light, though someone left a battery in there and there's corrosion or something, I tried cleaning it up but I still can't get it to work...

Either way, its pretty drat cool, even if it only shoots in 'Program' mode.

Ignore the clutter and iPhone picture quality.

Beerios
May 9, 2006

by T. Mascis
I'm looking at a couple of Canon AE-1s that popped up on Craigslist and should hopefully get a chance to check both of them out in the next day or two. Anything I should be looking out for in particular on these, besides a functioning meter (i.e., reads somewhere in the same ballpark as my DSLR) and a lack of squealing noises from the aperture mechanism when I fire the shutter? (Well, light seals too but that's q quick fix and I'd be thrilled if that were the only problem.)

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Welp, today I walked into the camera store to drop off my film and walked out with a job offer. :D

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Beerios posted:

I'm looking at a couple of Canon AE-1s that popped up on Craigslist and should hopefully get a chance to check both of them out in the next day or two. Anything I should be looking out for in particular on these, besides a functioning meter (i.e., reads somewhere in the same ballpark as my DSLR) and a lack of squealing noises from the aperture mechanism when I fire the shutter? (Well, light seals too but that's q quick fix and I'd be thrilled if that were the only problem.)

Fire the shutter with the back open. I have a AE1 that I thought was OK, but the second shutter won't open. And I have one with the squeak which you will know if you hear it.My attempts at camera repair have a 100% kill rate so I guess I'm stuck with a couple of punk Ae1's.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

atomicthumbs posted:

Welp, today I walked into the camera store to drop off my film and walked out with a job offer. :D

They've probably been waiting for a film user to walk through the door for ages. Congrats!

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

http://re35.net/index.html Haha how did I miss this? It's pretty nicely done though for what it is.

Ferris Bueller
May 12, 2001

"It is his fault he didn't lock the garage."

l33tc4k30fd00m posted:

http://re35.net/index.html Haha how did I miss this? It's pretty nicely done though for what it is.

I like all the it's real, it's not, and oh good please exist out on the interweb about this. I guess this is what we get with large world wide unemployment, vast and cruel April fools jokes.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go

Ferris Bueller posted:

I like all the it's real, it's not, and oh good please exist out on the interweb about this. I guess this is what we get with large world wide unemployment, vast and cruel April fools jokes.

Quite a bunch of photo mischief going around lately. I like this one, and all the folks who took it seriously:
http://www.theinvisiblecamera.com/

:psyduck:

e: looks like they fessed up on the main site finally. Here's the video that was there before:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWU3-gA3ueo&feature=player_embedded

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

l33tc4k30fd00m posted:

I wish this existed :(

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I know nothing about digital image sensors. But, why would it have to be flexible? Surely a plate structure that's 35mm tall and whatever wide enough to reach behind a shutter from a bundle of electronics in the film cartridge position would be sufficient? There's no movement (don't let anything reach into the winder mechanism) required, so a flexible sensor isn't required. Plus, many old SLRs had replaceable backs; what's stopping someone putting the sensor onto a back that replaces the back of a SLR?

I really hope this rather cool April Fool's prank leads to a real product. Seems possible, at least, to me.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

Martytoof posted:

I wish this existed :(

Same here. I would totally buy it just so that I could enjoy the use of my FE2 without having to wait for the film. I'm sure the old-school Minolta users would go nuts for one of these, too.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

ExecuDork posted:

what's stopping someone putting the sensor onto a back that replaces the back of a SLR?

Nothing, and it's been done. Here's a recent ebay auction of a Nikon F3 with a Kodak sensor: http://nikonrumors.com/2011/04/02/this-is-the-digital-nikon-f3-everybody-wants.aspx

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005
It does exist, but it's not a particularly successful idea.

http://www.shutterbug.com/equipmentreviews/accessories/0206leica/

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Mannequin posted:

Same here. I would totally buy it just so that I could enjoy the use of my FE2 without having to wait for the film. I'm sure the old-school Minolta users would go nuts for one of these, too.

I was specifically thinking of my Minolta X-700 when I was reading all this stuff and writing the above. I definately would go nuts for one of those, if they existed and weren't idiotic prices.

EDIT: that Leica thing is butt-ugly. One of the best features of a manual-focus film SLR compared to a modern DSLR is the size - my "full frame" Minolta is tiny compared to my crop-sensor Pentax K10D.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

How I imagine it, the real challenge in making a "works with any camera" 35 mm digital drop-in would be knowing when an exposure begins and ends, and when the camera advances to the next frame.
You'd need to make a sensor that's less than a mm thick, fit all the controlling electronics and power supply into the size of a 135 cartridge, and make something on the other end of the sensor flap that lets the camera count sprocket holes, and counts sprocket holes itself! It's really the last thing that sounds least plausible to me, if you need it to work without modifying the camera.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
In case you want a digital camera that LOOKS like an old Leica, photojojo has a crazy new digital camera.

http://photojojo.com/store/awesomeness/classic-mini-digital-camera/

It looks pretty cheaply made though. Also I'm not sure if the shutter speed selector or other controls actually work though....

I would like a completely manual digital camera... I wish someone made one :(

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

echobucket posted:

In case you want a digital camera that LOOKS like an old Leica, photojojo has a crazy new digital camera.

It looks pretty cheaply made though. Also I'm not sure if the shutter speed selector or other controls actually work though....

Yeah, it would be great if they made a digital Epson G2 or a newer Epson R-D.

In my dreams I imagine a full frame leica screw-mount unmetered/match needle metered digital Zorki camera made in an alternate timeline where the Soviet Union never broke up

Beerios
May 9, 2006

by T. Mascis
Well, I'm now the proud owner of a Canon AE-1 Program. I checked it out this morning and it was in great shape, just needs some minor cleaning. Everything mechanical is working with no funny noises, the electronics all work fine, and even the light seals didn't look too bad. It came with the standard Canon 50/1.8, a CPC 80-200 macro (I think a rebranded Sigma, not sure if it's constant aperture based on what's printed on the barrel but the aperture ring stops at 4.5), a 2x teleconverter (also CPC, who knows what manufacture), bag, cleaning kit, and this silly Mickey Mouse camera strap that I think I'll leave on for shits and giggles. She's loaded up with Fuji Superia 400 (which was the best thing Rite-Aid had in stock, as far as I could tell) and now I just have to find things to shoot. This thing is solid as gently caress, feels almost like cocking a gun when I wind the film advance lever, and the big bright viewfinder (with split prism screen) is just ridiculous compared to my T2i's finder. I can't wait to see what comes out of it.

I'll probably still be checking out the other one too, since the price is right and it comes with a few other accessories. (That'll have to wait till this weekend though, since apparenty my work schedule doesn't agree with old people time.) If that one checks out it'll either be a spare or I might end up putting one up for sale here.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

echobucket posted:

Hah, I have one of those. I got it as a Christmas gift a couple of years ago. Although mine is even smaller than that. No manual exposure controls, but it does manual focus.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

echobucket posted:

Isn't this what the Fuji X100 is? Or a digital Leica? You can go into the AE modes but if you want full manual it's there.

wanderlost
Dec 3, 2010

echobucket posted:

Epson R-D1 is pretty close?

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
Entry level Nikon DSLR with pre-autofocus lenses if you can deal with the tiny viewfinder.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

nielsm posted:

How I imagine it, the real challenge in making a "works with any camera" 35 mm digital drop-in would be knowing when an exposure begins and ends, and when the camera advances to the next frame.
You'd need to make a sensor that's less than a mm thick, fit all the controlling electronics and power supply into the size of a 135 cartridge, and make something on the other end of the sensor flap that lets the camera count sprocket holes, and counts sprocket holes itself! It's really the last thing that sounds least plausible to me, if you need it to work without modifying the camera.

You wouldn't need any way for the camera or sensor to count the sprocket holes, the sensor could capture the 35mm frame, store it and move on. As long as the shutter cocks the camera doesn't care. The ghetto way to have it synch to the shutter would be to use the flash terminal, but a reasonably fast and sensitive sensor could capture the image exposed by the shutter. Technically, I believe this is very possible. However, which camera company is going to spend the money to develop and market a device that allows folks to bypass buying new gear every time something new is released?

Now this would be a perfect product for a company like the old Vivitar.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Gnomad posted:

You wouldn't need any way for the camera or sensor to count the sprocket holes
Not even for cameras with motor drive?

Gnomad posted:

the sensor could capture the 35mm frame, store it and move on.
You still need for the sensor to know when it has been advanced to the next frame, i.e. when it can store the current exposure.
Essentially the sensor would be exposing constantly, and every time it sensed having been advanced, it would store whatever image was in the sensor at that point.
Coupling it on the flash sync might work. Let's assume a wireless connection is used, to avoid pulling a cable into the film housing.
The flash sync doesn't tell anything about how long the shutter is open, AFAIK, so this method would essentially store at the start of each new exposure. That might cause some small timing issues since the sensor would be offloading the previous image just as the shutter has opened to expose the next, possibly causing some mild double exposures, or missing some of the start of each exposure.
If the sensor is capturing constantly and not discharged before each exposure, and offloaded straight after, I think there would also be issues with hot pixels in one way or another.
The best solution you could make (without modifying the camera itself) might actually be combining a pre-discharge by flash sync and an image offload by film advance sensing. The flash sync transmitter could also function as a control unit, sitting in the camera's flash shoe.

Gnomad posted:

However, which camera company is going to spend the money to develop and market a device that allows folks to bypass buying new gear every time something new is released?
That's a very valid point.

(I'm not trying to argue whether it's a good or bad idea, I just think it's fun trying to discover the possible requirements for engineering this.)

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
It's a nifty idea but you're selling the single most expensive camera part as a product. I'd imagine a full frame sensor is at least $500, plus the control hardware. It's an awesome idea though, it keeps coming up and every time there's a positive reaction.

Kodak actually made some Nikon bodies like this, which they sold as the DCS- series. They're mostly notable for lacking an antialiasing filter, which causes some nasty moire patterns.

e: The Kodak DCS 425 is awesome

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Apr 7, 2011

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I swear to god 2011 is turning into the year of camera malfunctions for me. I was at a show shooting with my Mamiya 645 and the focusing screen falls loose. Fortunately this time it was the latch unlatching somehow, no harm no foul.

In other news, I got that 35mm TLR kit from DealExtreme in the mail today. Can't wait to put it together.

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005

nielsm posted:

Not even for cameras with motor drive?

You could probably work it with a sound and vibration sensor. Calibrate it, and the noise of the mirror going up and down should be pretty unique from inside the camera box.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Okay, dorkroom, I have a question for you guys. I'm going to a fair tonight and I want to do some available light pictures. I'm bringing my Retina IIa and my Zorki 4, and I was thinking of loading the Retina with some ISO 100 and the Zorki ISO 400, both color. My problem: I have no idea what aperture and shutter settings to use.

The calculator posted earlier in the thread (http://www.calculator.org/calculate-online/photography/exposure.aspx) is recommending f/8 for 1s with ISO 100 film for "Brightly lit domestic interiors at night, computer screens, fairgrounds, and amusement parks", but that seems suspect to me. Any suggestions?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
That sounds about right. I typically find normally lit (not bright) home interiors at night to be somewhere around f/1.4, 1/30, ISO400, which is -2 stops from that exposure. There will be some reciprocity failure at 1s, probably 1/2 to 1 stop additional exposure needed. If you're not sure, bring an SLR along to meter with. Don't forget to add the reciprocity correction.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Apr 8, 2011

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Sega Saturn posted:

Okay, dorkroom, I have a question for you guys. I'm going to a fair tonight and I want to do some available light pictures. I'm bringing my Retina IIa and my Zorki 4, and I was thinking of loading the Retina with some ISO 100 and the Zorki ISO 400, both color. My problem: I have no idea what aperture and shutter settings to use.

The calculator posted earlier in the thread (http://www.calculator.org/calculate-online/photography/exposure.aspx) is recommending f/8 for 1s with ISO 100 film for "Brightly lit domestic interiors at night, computer screens, fairgrounds, and amusement parks", but that seems suspect to me. Any suggestions?

Shooting handheld non-flash photos at night with 100 or 400 film is madness unless you plan on using a tripod which would be a total buzzkill at a fair. I'd recommend loading up with Tri-X or HP5 and metering at 1600. I would be very hesitant to recommend settings because there's dark and then there's dark. Lighting can be very deceptive.

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006
Here comes a special boy!
Looking for a film scanner that can do 35mm and 120 film.

Budget of about $500 but obviously cheaper is better.

Can anyone reccommend something which is not a horrible frustration to use and gives me enough resolution to stick my images in lightroom for (sometimes fairly significant) editing?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Lon Lon Rabbit posted:

Looking for a film scanner that can do 35mm and 120 film.

Budget of about $500 but obviously cheaper is better.

Can anyone reccommend something which is not a horrible frustration to use and gives me enough resolution to stick my images in lightroom for (sometimes fairly significant) editing?

Epson V500/V600, and throw in a Betterscanning holder. For $500ish you're in V700/V750 territory though, which might be worth the upgrade, especially if you think you might be moving in to large format someday. Even if you're not, they have somewhat better image quality, and the larger scanning area lets you scan more frames at a time, which is convenient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006
Here comes a special boy!

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Epson V500/V600, and throw in a Betterscanning holder. For $500ish you're in V700/V750 territory though, which might be worth the upgrade, especially if you think you might be moving in to large format someday. Even if you're not, they have somewhat better image quality, and the larger scanning area lets you scan more frames at a time, which is convenient.

Thanks, will dig around online and then see what the big camera shops have when I'm in Kyoto tomorrow.

Developing prices are not too bad here but for some reason scanning and burning to DVD is just insane.