Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Usual Barb
Aug 27, 2005

pop it and lock it
Blast the dezgra trash pile that somehow found its way to a battlefield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crepuscule Adepte
Feb 21, 2008

Why is my hair purple? It's from the blood of everyone that lost a bet against me.

Popy posted:

Why isn't the dropships shooting the clanners? From my experience playing mechwarrior dropships melted my prized pink Annihilator over, and over again. The dropships should be unleashing those blue beams of death.

Because they go down fast, have five mechs that can blast away at them, and they're much more important the entire team, as far as command is concerned?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Also they are in a start-up cycle right now.

Dominus Caedis
Sep 17, 2007
Stupid Noob

Popy posted:

Why isn't the dropships shooting the clanners? From my experience playing mechwarrior dropships melted my prized pink Annihilator over, and over again. The dropships should be unleashing those blue beams of death.

They are still powering up from a cold-start, none of their systems are online except comms and doors and such.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
And every crew member is needed to restrain Caesar Steiner from busting out of the dropship and laying waste to everything in a fifty kilometer radius.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Clans just sorta snicker at Infernos, most of the time.

The rest of the time being when they're riding high on the heat curve and then SAVRASHI, INFERNOS! :)

But yeah, I suppose Infantry LRMs would be better, all told.

ShadowDragon8685 fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Apr 8, 2011

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
So is Ceasar a really good mechwarrior or just a great strategist and womanizer?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Well, what we can say for sure is that Caesar is one of the greatest leaders of his generation, and that his son Reinhardt goes on to be the supreme fighting machine, and HIS son Rudiger is currently an unstoppable killing machine who willingly handicaps himself by driving a really lovely Atlas. Caesar also has the superhuman ability to identify the label and vintage of any kind of booze you put in front of him.

He did one clap up the leader of the 2nd Sword of Light in a mech duel, though, so he can't possibly be bad.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Affi posted:

So is Ceasar a really good mechwarrior or just a great strategist and womanizer?

Yes.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Bad Moon posted:

And every crew member is needed to restrain Caesar Steiner from busting out of the dropship and laying waste to everything in a fifty kilometer radius.

I would love to see this, though. Caesar Steiner busting down the ramp of the dropship, shooting Gamma Star mechs in the back. Then again, he wasn't bid by Colonel Rossi initially, right? If he attacks, would that be breaking zell?

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

GhostStalker posted:

I would love to see this, though. Caesar Steiner busting down the ramp of the dropship, shooting Gamma Star mechs in the back. Then again, he wasn't bid by Colonel Rossi initially, right? If he attacks, would that be breaking zell?

Nope but if he attacks he would be dezgra and I think five assault weight mechs would just obliterate him. No matter what mech he rolls out with.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Caesar Steiner is going to be killed when he eats a DFA from the Thunderchild.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

KnoxZone posted:

Caesar Steiner is going to be killed when he eats a DFA from the Thunderchild.

Please. Dumb motherfucker couldn't even kill a tank right.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

raverrn posted:

This is why I wanna see the tank crew challenge him to fisticuffs. I think Dusk might tell him to accept the challenge in an attempt to erase his shame, since 'warriors who don't even merit a 'Mech look to be just about your speed.'

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
The Battletech rules have a few quirks, and just to fill some time I'd like to briefly mention one of them. The amount an engine weighs depends on its Engine Rating, which is just the tonnage of the mech times its walking speed; a 3/5 moving 100 tonner has a 300 engine. All 300 engines weigh the same; an engine that drives a 100 ton Atlas 3 hexes at a walk will cheerfully drive a 60 ton Dragon 5 hexes at a walk. Because of the curve of how much the engines weigh, though, there turns out to be an "optimal" weight for a given movement rate. That is, if you know you want a 5/8 moving mech, it turns out that you can have more mass available for armor and weapons by making it a 60 ton mech than a 65 or 55 ton mech. (The same thing holds for XL engines like the Clans use, but the optimal mech mass is a bit heavier)

What's INTERESTING to me is how many of the iconic mechs and best mechs fall exactly into these little optimal masses! Here's an example.

3/5 movement? XL or not, you're going to be best if you max out the mass. Notable 3/5 100 tonners? Atlas, Daishi.

4/6 movement? With 3025 tech, you'll want to be between 75 and 85 tons. Like... the Battlemaster and Marauder. If you have an XL engine, you want to be at 95 tons... like the Executioner.

5/8? 60-tons like the Dragon, with a normal engine, which is an excellent mech. But if you use a XL engine... 70 or 75 tons is best. Like, oh, the Summoner(Thor) and Timber Wolf (Mad Cat), two of the most iconic mechs around.

6/9 and beyond it gets kind of wonky because you start running out of space fast, but with level 1 engines the optimum mass for a 6/9 mech is 45 tons. Like my favorite mech, the Phoenix Hawk.

Now, don't get me wrong, it's not a BIG difference. Just a ton or two over 'second place' in most cases. But I just thought it was interesting that those optimal masses exist and how many of the really great mechs are squarely in the middle of them.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

I think fisticuffs might be a bit extreme, but trust me. Having this last turn is drat lucky, and I don't plan to go gently into that good night.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Mukaikubo posted:

The Battletech rules have a few quirks, and just to fill some time I'd like to briefly mention one of them. The amount an engine weighs depends on its Engine Rating, which is just the tonnage of the mech times its walking speed; a 3/5 moving 100 tonner has a 300 engine. All 300 engines weigh the same; an engine that drives a 100 ton Atlas 3 hexes at a walk will cheerfully drive a 60 ton Dragon 5 hexes at a walk. Because of the curve of how much the engines weigh, though, there turns out to be an "optimal" weight for a given movement rate. That is, if you know you want a 5/8 moving mech, it turns out that you can have more mass available for armor and weapons by making it a 60 ton mech than a 65 or 55 ton mech. (The same thing holds for XL engines like the Clans use, but the optimal mech mass is a bit heavier)

What's INTERESTING to me is how many of the iconic mechs and best mechs fall exactly into these little optimal masses! Here's an example.

3/5 movement? XL or not, you're going to be best if you max out the mass. Notable 3/5 100 tonners? Atlas, Daishi.

4/6 movement? With 3025 tech, you'll want to be between 75 and 85 tons. Like... the Battlemaster and Marauder. If you have an XL engine, you want to be at 95 tons... like the Executioner.

5/8? 60-tons like the Dragon, with a normal engine, which is an excellent mech. But if you use a XL engine... 70 or 75 tons is best. Like, oh, the Summoner(Thor) and Timber Wolf (Mad Cat), two of the most iconic mechs around.

6/9 and beyond it gets kind of wonky because you start running out of space fast, but with level 1 engines the optimum mass for a 6/9 mech is 45 tons. Like my favorite mech, the Phoenix Hawk.

Now, don't get me wrong, it's not a BIG difference. Just a ton or two over 'second place' in most cases. But I just thought it was interesting that those optimal masses exist and how many of the really great mechs are squarely in the middle of them.

So the reason for this is because of the way engine weighs work in BT. Weights don't increase linearly with engine size, instead they increase exponentially. Since engine size goes up as both a function of mech tonnage and speed, high tonnage mechs will have a harder time increasing their speed compared to lighter mechs; each movement point for a heavier mech "costs" more relative weight. This is why assaults and heavies tend to fall into very narrow movement speed bands; moving slowly is very detrimental tactically but moving quickly costs so much weight that there's none left over for weapon/armor.

This all changes with the advent of XL engines which weigh half as much as normal ones. What this allows is for most heavy mechs (50+ tons) to increasing walking speed by 1 for no/negligible weight increase or keeping the same speed for a big boost in weapons/armor.

The question of the ideal engine for a mech is harder to answer but in general having an engine weight about 12%-24% the weight of a mech works out pretty well. Lighter designs will want to have less weight budget sunk in the engine since relative weights of other components is higher for them.

Longinus00 fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 8, 2011

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Mukaikubo posted:

I'd say it's more confirmation bias than truth.

For example, in 3025 play many of the iconic 5/8 mechs are 55 tons, not 60 - the Griffin, Wolverine and Shadow Hawk.

4/6? What's more iconic than the Warhammer or Archer? Both of which are 70 tons, not 75.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Tempest_56 posted:

I'd say it's more confirmation bias than truth.

For example, in 3025 play many of the iconic 5/8 mechs are 55 tons, not 60 - the Griffin, Wolverine and Shadow Hawk.

4/6? What's more iconic than the Warhammer or Archer? Both of which are 70 tons, not 75.

I actually realized after I posted that including jump jets would alter things. 55 is the optimum for 5/8/5, not 60. :shobon:

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Longinus00 posted:

This all changes with the advent of XL engines which weigh half as much as normal ones. What this allows is for most heavy mechs (50+ tons) to increasing walking speed by 1 for no/negligible weight increase or keeping the same speed for a big boost in weapons/armor.

Credit where credit's due, I always thought the balance of IS XL engines was downright elegant. Lose a side torso = engine kill.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

raverrn posted:

I think fisticuffs might be a bit extreme, but trust me. Having this last turn is drat lucky, and I don't plan to go gently into that good night.

Raverrn says its go time.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

raverrn posted:

drat straight. Anyway, can't wait to see what that Rommel will do next turn. Go out in a blaze of glory, raverrn. Go and take out Knox while you're at it, too.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Have the tank crew grab their personal weapons, bail out, then perform an anti-'Mech swarm attack on the dumb fucker that just landed on them. If nothing else, it will cement Steiner's bloodthirsty insanity and reckless courage into the minds of the Clans.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I like that. Challenge Knox to a beatdown. Also rotate the tank if possible.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Have the tank crew bail out, jump onto the mech, climb to the head, and pound on the hatch. Drive them insane with clanging.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Have Batman swing in, rescue the tank crew, then make everyone present honorary Batboys and Batgirls. Decoder rings for all!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Have Batman swing in, rescue the tank crew, then make everyone present honorary Batboys and Batgirls. Decoder rings for all!

He can't. His parents are dead.

Oh, I pulled out my old TRO 3050 (so I could start work on the AU 3032 TRO). The 3050 Hellbringer does have A-Pods, so that wasn't a later addition.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Apr 8, 2011

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

PoptartsNinja posted:

He can't. His parents are dead.

It's cliche but I still laughed like a happy fool.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Alternate-Universe 3032 TRO Entry 1

Copperhead (Mad Dog)
Overview:
Named for its wedge-shaped cockpit, the Copperhead is a fast heavy ‘Mech that seems to have numerous configurations suggesting it has been in production for quite some time. Named by the Mechwarriors of the 2nd Donegal Guards, the Copperhead seems more prevalent among the forces of the Hell’s Horses, who use the design as a type of fast cavalry unit. Although not rare among the other clans, the Widowmakers appear to use the design with the lowest frequency.

Capabilities:
Our Blessed Order has identified three distinct configurations of the Copperhead. The most prevalent of these seems to be a fire support design we have declared the ‘Alpha’ variant. Mounting a pair of LRM racks on either shoulder, the Copperhead Alpha is well-suited to long-range bombardments. Carrying nine shots per launcher, the Alpha is only at risk of running low on ammunition in the most prolonged battles. Were it a Star League design, those heavy LRM racks would have been the main of its armament, but the Copperhead’s threat does not end with a missile barrage. An array of lasers that would themselves be considered a powerful and complete armament on an Inner Sphere ‘Mech of the same size complement its bombardment abilities, making the Alpha a deadly threat at close range.

If there were any speculation that the other variants of the Copperhead filled a similar battlefield role, the Beta variant would be more than enough to convince an attacker otherwise. Turning the concept of a heavy missileboat on its head, the Copperhead Beta packs over forty-eight SRMs into a redesigned shoulder housing. A devastating combatant in an urban environment, the Beta is hardly helpless at range. Backing up its close-range armament with a pair of PPCs, the Beta variant is a threat that cannot be ignored in any situation.

The strangest configuration we’ve encountered, the Gamma variant of the Copperhead seems at first glance to be nearly identical to its cousin the Alpha. Packing a pair of LRM racks backed by an array of lighter lasers to deter would-be attackers, the Gamma is overshadowed by the Alpha in every aspect save speed. With a maximum speed of 97.2 kph, the Copperhead Gamma seems tailor-made for the sudden, speedy assaults favored by the Steel Vipers. This version of the Copperhead also appears to have a completely redesigned torso and arm structure, and is the only variant of the ‘Mech with fists.

Originally believed to be another ‘Mech entirely, the Copperhead’s Delta variant is so different from the others that only careful study suggests it likely has the same internal structure. Lacking the missile pods so prevalent on the other models of the design, this version of the Copperhead sports an array of four heavy lasers and a completely redesigned shoulder housing. This version of the Copperhead has been seen only among the forces of Clan Goliath Scorpion, and the other Clans appear to disdain it.

Deployment:
Although first seen among the Steel Vipers, they do not seem fond of the Copperhead and prefer to allow more specialized units to take on its battlefield roles. The Hell’s Horses use the Copperhead with the greatest frequency, although it is not a common ‘Mech by any means. It has appeared with every Clan yet encountered in some form or other, which suggests the Copperhead has had an extended production run.

Equipment:
Mass: 60 tons
Cruising Speed: 54 kph (64.8 kph - Gamma Variant)
Walking MP: 5 (6 – Gamma Variant)
Maximum Speed: 86.4 kph (97.2 kph - Gamma Variant)
Running MP: 8 (9 – Gamma Variant)
Jump Jets: None
Jump Capacity: None
Jumping MP: 0
Armament: 31 tons of Pod Space available

Heat Sinks: 12 [24] (minimum)
Armor Factor: 163

Head Structure: 3
Head Armor: 9

Center Torso Structure: 20
Center Torso Armor: 23
Center Torso (Rear) Armor: 7

Left/Right Torso Structure: 14
Left/Right Torso Armor: 16
Left/Right Torso (Rear) Armor: 7

Left/Right Leg Structure: 14
Left/Right Leg Armor: 23

Left/Right Arm Structure: 10
Left/Right Arm Armor: 16

Alpha Weapons and Ammo:
Large Pulse Laser – Right Arm
Medium Pulse Laser – Right Arm
Large Pulse Laser – Left Arm
Medium Pulse Laser – Left Arm
LRM 20 w/ Artemis IV – RT
LRM 20 w/ Artemis IV – LT
Ammo LRM 20 – RT
Ammo LRM 20 – LT
Ammo LRM 20 – CT
CASE – RT
CASE – LT
CASE – CT

Beta Weapons and Ammo:
ER PPC – Right Arm
ER PPC – Left Arm
SRM 6 – Right Torso
SRM 6 – Right Torso
SRM 6 – Right Torso
SRM 6 – Right Torso
SRM 6 – Left Torso
SRM 6 – Left Torso
SRM 6 – Left Torso
SRM 6 – Left Torso
Ammo SRM 6 – Right Torso
Ammo SRM 6 – Right Torso
CASE – Right Torso
Ammo SRM 6 – Left Torso
Ammo SRM 6 – Left Torso
CASE – Left Torso
Double Heat Sink – Center Torso
Double Heat Sink – Right Leg
Double Heat Sink – Left Leg

Gamma Weapons and Ammo:
360 XL Fusion Engine (6/9/0)
Hand – Right Arm
Hand – Left Arm
LRM 15 w/ Artemis IV – Right Torso
LRM 15 w/ Artemis IV – Left Torso
Ammo LRM 15 – Right Torso
CASE – Right Torso
Ammo LRM 15 – Left Torso
CASE – Left Torso

Delta Weapons and Ammo:
Large Pulse Laser – Right Arm
Large Pulse Laser – Left Arm
Large Pulse Laser – Right Torso
Large Pulse Laser – Left Torso
Active Probe – Center Torso
Double Heat Sink – Right Arm
Double Heat Sink – Left Arm
Double Heat Sink – Right Torso
Double Heat Sink – Right Torso
Double Heat Sink – Left Torso
Double Heat Sink – Left Torso

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Apr 8, 2011

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
For a moment I was going to ask why the Delta variant has an active probe despite having no missile weapons but then I decided to look up with the Active Probe actually does (and not what the videogames say it does), and that helped make more sense of it. Still a bit confusing that the BAP behaves a bit differently in the games than it does in the tabletop.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
The Vulture Copperhead is pro and I eagerly await the next TRO entry.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Angry_Ed posted:

For a moment I was going to ask why the Delta variant has an active probe despite having no missile weapons but then I decided to look up with the Active Probe actually does (and not what the videogames say it does), and that helped make more sense of it. Still a bit confusing that the BAP behaves a bit differently in the games than it does in the tabletop.

The Copperhead Delta exists solely to piss off the Hell's Horses. It would've been packing a Targeting Computer if I could've found the five tons to fit one in.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Apr 8, 2011

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Interesting. So fusion reactors are modular too for these Omnis?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

LeschNyhan posted:

Interesting. So fusion reactors are modular too for these Omnis?

Or the Gamma's not really a Copperhead but something else entirely (and ComStar can't tell the difference). Maybe someone's misidentified a Storm Crow. You decide!

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
This is somewhat offtopic, but I'm not sure where else I can ask:
Is there some sort of tech support or active fan communities online for mechwarrior games? I've looked at guides and installation tips and troubleshooting guides but I for the love of God cannot get Mechwarrior 2 (and expansions), 3 (and expansions), and 4 (and expansions) running on my computer, with or without DOSbox. I really want to get back into the mechwarrior games, but....I'm having problems.

Feel free to PM me if you're otherwise worried about cluttering the thread. :)

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

PoptartsNinja posted:

Or the Gamma's not really a Copperhead but something else entirely (and ComStar can't tell the difference). Maybe someone's misidentified a Storm Crow. You decide!

Comstar: loving things up since 2785!

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

PoptartsNinja posted:

More likely they share similar production molds like the Loki/Thor and Vulture/Mad Cat.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Artificer posted:

Is there some sort of tech support or active fan communities online for mechwarrior games? I've looked at guides and installation tips and troubleshooting guides but I for the love of God cannot get Mechwarrior 2 (and expansions), 3 (and expansions), and 4 (and expansions) running on my computer, with or without DOSbox. I really want to get back into the mechwarrior games, but....I'm having problems.

For MW2, you can try this solution.

As for the Copperhead Gamma, the best solution I can come up with is that it's some sort of Mad Dog II redesign, like the Shadow Cat II and Ryoken II mechs.

Usual Barb
Aug 27, 2005

pop it and lock it

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Copperhead Delta exists solely to piss off the Hell's Horses anyone who plays battletech.
Fixed that for you. Clan large pulse lasers are incredibly good. Seriously cheesy in such large amounts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Artificer posted:

I haven't tried reinstalling 2 or 3, but MW4, Black Knight, and Mercenaries all run fine for me on Win7 x64 Ultimate. You have to run the installer as Administrator when you first install the game, but beyond that I haven't had any problems. It wouldn't require DOSbox anyway, as it's nowhere near old enough to even use DOS as a groundwork.

• Locked thread