Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Russian Bear posted:

Comedy option Ape sxv 550. Oh wait you said reliable.

Two SXV's then!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empire Waffles
Apr 3, 2009

Symphoric posted:

Is there a big difference in seat height between the two? I've never actually seen a 610/630 with my own eyes but they look enormously tall in pictures.

My 610 feels lower than the DRZ. It feels lighter under me and I can get more of my foot down. I might be able to get a measurement for you but I'm in the UK right now and it's in Texas.

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

Thanks, that's pretty much all I wanted to know. Now I just need to find one in reasonable distance of this god forsaken hell-hole full of leather chaps, tasseled ape-hangers, gleaming chrome and deafeningly loud straight-piped Harleys.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
The entire US?

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

Bondematt posted:

The entire US?

Well it's especially bad here. I had to convert an S-model DRZ to SM because it was impossible to find one for sale within 1000 miles at a reasonable price. I've never actually even seen another supermoto in the wild besides my own. Nobody who looks at it understands it, and when I tell people it's a supermoto they just stand and scratch their heads like they've never even heard the term before. Then they call me a human being, jump on their hog with their skanky toothless girlfriends and take off in a cloud of blue smoke and leaking oil.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Spiffness posted:

Two SXV's then!
One solution my room mate (not the one with the neglected SXV) is to put full coverage on it then when the motor blows up go "crash" at the gap and launch it off a cliff. They might get suspicious after the third or fourth one though but it should be enough to get you through the summer.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Symphoric posted:

Nobody who looks at it understands it, and when I tell people it's a supermoto they just stand and scratch their heads like they've never even heard the term before.

That sounds familiar. I get the same reaction from riders and random people alike. Occasionally it gets called a "dirt bike lookin' thing." Their first question is always "How fast can it go?" which means they completely do not understand the purpose of it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Thats everyones first question about every bike though, followed by "can it wheelie" and "how much was it"

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

"I used to have a dual sport! Used to ride a plated XR350 around..."

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

Can I hang out here now?

Sorry for the awful picture. I'm just too excited to wait until morning. It's a DRZ-400E so I already get the good carb, more compression and all that stuff. Plus it has forks off an RMZ-450, full Brembo brakes from hell and all sorts of other cool stuff.

Now I just need a motorcycle licence.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

And a 6th gear

:parrot:

hedgegnome
May 20, 2008
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2008-KTM-Duke-Super-Moto-Street-Fighter-CUSTOM-/120703760170?pt=US_motorcycles&hash=item1c1a81372a#v4-35

What do you guys think? Itd be my first bike.

Also, would I be able to register it in california? Would there be any way around the 7500 mile rule? Im traveling with work, and have the option of registering it in chicago under my moms name. But id like it to be regestered in california at some point.
I want to get a bike now, but im afraid it will be too much trouble to register.

Anyway, I really like that Duke :D

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

hedgegnome posted:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2008-KTM-Duke-Super-Moto-Street-Fighter-CUSTOM-/120703760170?pt=US_motorcycles&hash=item1c1a81372a#v4-35

What do you guys think? Itd be my first bike.

Also, would I be able to register it in california? Would there be any way around the 7500 mile rule? Im traveling with work, and have the option of registering it in chicago under my moms name. But id like it to be regestered in california at some point.
I want to get a bike now, but im afraid it will be too much trouble to register.

Anyway, I really like that Duke :D

I'd go for it.

Looks righteous with the white wheels, just when I thought you couldn't make a white Duke 3 look better...

Edit: as for first bike, it's a little hairy with the very direct throttle response the EFI gives. I had a 690 SMC as a first bike and if you're sensible it shouldn't be a problem. There is a throttle map selector somewhere, probably under the seat, I would set it to 'soft' until you get to grips with the bike. Even after 30 months of constant everyday riding I still use the soft setting when it gets snowy/icy. A 690 on the hardcore throttle setting will wheelie if you sneeze too hard.

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Mar 28, 2011

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Do you have any previous riding experience?

I wouldn't do it, half because it's going to be a pain to register it in CA, and half because you don't want something expensive as your first bike as a general rule. It's also more expensive than I'd recommend for a first bike, find something cheap, ride it around for 6 months to a year, and then go out and buy a bike based off of some riding experience rather than what looks good in the pictures. Also, distance riding on a single isn't for everyone.

If you do buy it, definitely set it on the soft ignition setting. The upside to KTMs is that they're incredibly responsive bikes, the downside is they really don't work that well if you don't have the confidence and experience to tell it exactly what needs to be done.

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
My local italian bike dealer is saying that aprilia isn't importing the sxv anymore, or only in limited numbers. Is this a country wide thing or are they just being dumb?

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

Welp, after test riding both a Husky 610sm and the new 630, I've decided to just keep my DRZ. Sure, the Huskies were a little bit faster, lighter, better, but there's just some unexplainable feeling that made me wish I was back on the DRZ the whole time I was riding them. Almost like they were too serious/nice to gently caress around on without feeling guilty about it, and that's exactly what I DON'T want a supermoto to feel like.

Maybe someday I'll take a step up to a KTM 690 or something, but til then I walked away more satisfied with the little 'zuki than ever.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Symphoric posted:

Welp, after test riding both a Husky 610sm and the new 630, I've decided to just keep my DRZ. Sure, the Huskies were a little bit faster, lighter, better, but there's just some unexplainable feeling that made me wish I was back on the DRZ the whole time I was riding them. Almost like they were too serious/nice to gently caress around on without feeling guilty about it, and that's exactly what I DON'T want a supermoto to feel like.

Maybe someday I'll take a step up to a KTM 690 or something, but til then I walked away more satisfied with the little 'zuki than ever.

If you're getting a little antsy for that "new bike feeling" but still love your DRZ, might I recommend upgrading to the FCR39MX carb? Its really easy to put in, not that expensive esp if you buy used, and makes the bike feel completely different in all good ways without ruining the "easiest bike to ride ever"ness of the DRZ. Just don't break the carb slide and then spend the next 6 months trying to find the vacuum leak making the bike run like poo poo like I did.

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

Yeah, that is definitely on my list of mods to do now that I've decided to stick with the DRZ. But I figure I'll wait until after this riding season is over before I start doing things like tearing carbs off. Nothing sucks worse than seeing your bike in pieces scattered across the basement floor when it's a beautiful sunny day outside.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Symphoric posted:

Yeah, that is definitely on my list of mods to do now that I've decided to stick with the DRZ. But I figure I'll wait until after this riding season is over before I start doing things like tearing carbs off. Nothing sucks worse than seeing your bike in pieces scattered across the basement floor when it's a beautiful sunny day outside.

Shouldn't take more than a short afternoon to swap carbs out even if you haven't dealt with them before :)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Symphoric posted:

The DRZ is just so rideable. It's forgiving and willing and totally flogable, which is what makes it such fun. The bigger KTMs are a lot more serious and sometimes that makes things less fun.

needknees posted:

Shouldn't take more than a short afternoon to swap carbs out even if you haven't dealt with them before :)

It's a really, really tight fit on the DRZ. Really tight. Also sometimes it helps to move an engine mount. It also really helps to get rid of the oil box on the side and pipe those lines to the airbox.

I'd probably say about 4-5 hours to do it the first time, if you don't have any previous experience with these things.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Z3n posted:

The DRZ is just so rideable. It's forgiving and willing and totally flogable, which is what makes it such fun.

Also, theres not a bike on the planet that crashes better. They shrug off most anything short of getting hit by a truck and the things actually look better beat up.

Z3n posted:

It's a really, really tight fit on the DRZ. Really tight.

This. I feel like I'm gonna break something everytime I put it in or take it out. Its really not too difficult a process once you get over the feeling that you've gotta be doing something wrong if its this tight.

Most of the first time for me was spent removing and replacing the throttle cables. Took forever to snake those things correctly for some reason. That and cleaning up all the gas I spilled all over my friend's garage.

pr0zac fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Apr 8, 2011

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

pr0zac posted:

Also, theres not a bike on the planet that crashes better. They shrug off most anything short of getting hit by a truck and the things actually look better beat up.

They're also surprisingly difficult to really crash hard. The KTM will put you on your rear end in a second if you're not careful, the DRZ is as forgiving as a 250.

quote:

This. I feel like I'm gonna break something everytime I put it in or take it out. Its really not too difficult a process once you get over the feeling that you've gotta be doing something wrong if its this tight.

Most of the first time for me was spent removing and replacing the throttle cables. Took forever to snake those things correctly for some reason. That and cleaning up all the gas I spilled all over my friend's garage.

Did you move the engine mount on yours? I moved it to the left side, and routed the cables on the right, that prevented too much binding/sharp corners. And yeah, they're a bitch to route. And I found it easiest to put the intake to carb mount on the carb and shove it in that way, it flexes enough that you can get it in place. Then you tighten down the clamps.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

Z3n posted:

They're also surprisingly difficult to really crash hard. The KTM will put you on your rear end in a second if you're not careful, the DRZ is as forgiving as a 250.

The thing with the high-end supermotos is you can just leave it stock in that case. Then when you get good at it you just change the jets and exhaust and double your horsepower.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Gnaghi posted:

The thing with the high-end supermotos is you can just leave it stock in that case. Then when you get good at it you just change the jets and exhaust and double your horsepower.

Double your HP on a 690SMC means it turns into this:

:v:

But yeah, the beauty of the KTM is that you don't really need more than 65hp.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Z3n posted:

Care to elaborate here? Not that I'm disagreeing (because I've never ridden a DRZ yet) but my KTM 625 feels like a pretty "friendly" bike to ride and is certainly more floggable than any other bike I've ever ridden. What is it about a DRZ that makes it so much more forgiving?

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

Care to elaborate here? Not that I'm disagreeing (because I've never ridden a DRZ yet) but my KTM 625 feels like a pretty "friendly" bike to ride and is certainly more floggable than any other bike I've ever ridden. What is it about a DRZ that makes it so much more forgiving?

He's talking about the 690smc, which has a bit more power than our bikes but the big thing is that power is delivered in a much more abrupt fashion. Agreed, the 625 is very easy to ride hard because its powerband is linear and not very snatchy.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

I haven't had the chance to ride a 625 SM, but I have had the chance to ride a Duke with the same engine, and the engine and power delivery is night and day different. The 690SMC on the race map is instantly responsive, and with as much HP as it has, it's really easy for it to get away from you.

It has the dubious honor of being the only bike I've ever ridden that I crashed on a test ride. :doh: Was in a parking lot, grabbed what would be a small handful of throttle on the DRZ but was about 4k on the KTM and it went way sideways, back to the otherside, and then dumped me on my butt. Also, I 12 oclocked it in the first 6 inches of riding it. It's a serious bike.

As to what makes the DRZ more forgiving? Less aggressive suspension setup, softer brakes, less power, a less responsive throttle, etc. A 690SMC is a perfect example of how everything can look great on paper as a newb bike but instead be totally insane. A DRZ is like a ninja 250, a KTM690SMC is like a literbike.

They also have a 10 position switch that'll move you between rain, street, and race ignition maps, (you can load other maps into the other 7 slots) with huge differences in throttle response between the maps. Most people are running theirs on "rain" because that's how it comes from the factory (most likely to pass emissions), and they don't understand how much of the bike's character changes with the different maps.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Z3n posted:

Was in a parking lot, grabbed what would be a small handful of throttle on the DRZ but was about 4k on the KTM and it went way sideways, back to the otherside, and then dumped me on my butt. Also, I 12 oclocked it in the first 6 inches of riding it.

I have to ride this motorcycle now.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

I have to ride this motorcycle now.

In fairness, it was exacerbated by Zool's levers being adjusted all crazy, but it's still my fuckup that put it on the ground. The bike's really, REALLY responsive, so you gotta be super careful what you tell it.

Also, any sort of aftermarket exhaust ruins the engine, because it's impossible to tune it properly at the moment. Dealerships will load in Akro maps but that's not enough when you're dealing with a high strung single, it just murders the midrange which makes the top end hit feel harder. Not what you want. 65HP is pushing the effective limits of the wheelbase/weight distribution, you can BP a wheelie off throttle alone in 5th gear...on flat ground.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Apr 9, 2011

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Z3n posted:

65HP is pushing the effective limits of the wheelbase, you can BP a wheelie off throttle alone in 5th gear...on flat ground.

You are not helping my lust for this motorcycle.

:(:fh:

ColonelMoutard
May 24, 2004
I'm looking for a used DRZ to import to Canada, what's the upper limit for mileage on them? prices don't seem to dip appreciably below 3500$ regardless of year, condition or mileage and they don't seem to be drastically different from 2006 onwards. So is older better than higher mileage all other tinhs being equal?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Eamonn posted:

I'm looking for a used DRZ to import to Canada, what's the upper limit for mileage on them? prices don't seem to dip appreciably below 3500$ regardless of year, condition or mileage and they don't seem to be drastically different from 2006 onwards. So is older better than higher mileage all other tinhs being equal?

The DRZ never changed at all other than plastic colors and stickers so yeah older with lower mileage is preferable.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Z3n posted:

It has the dubious honor of being the only bike I've ever ridden that I crashed on a test ride. :doh: Was in a parking lot, grabbed what would be a small handful of throttle on the DRZ but was about 4k on the KTM and it went way sideways, back to the otherside, and then dumped me on my butt. Also, I 12 oclocked it in the first 6 inches of riding it. It's a serious bike.
You could make it up to me by trading wheels.

or else
:commissar:

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

There is the matter of that dent in your front wheel that wasn't there pre-Z3ns ride...

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

:arghfist::(

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

Z3n posted:

The DRZ is just so rideable. It's forgiving and willing and totally flogable, which is what makes it such fun. The bigger KTMs are a lot more serious and sometimes that makes things less fun.

Yeah, it's just a downright fun bike. It's like the little dog that always wants to play and please its master. Other dogs might be faster and stronger but they'll bite your face off if you pat em in the wrong spot.

In related news, took my first street ride of the season today. 35 miles and I'm cold enough that I'm just now getting to straighten my hands out of the bar-claw position. Love the DRZ, hate New England weather.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So I'm probably going to be doing an SM trackday on Tuesday around a go-kart track on a friend's boyfriend's race KTM 'tard (a 500something). Should be interesting.

And by interesting, I mean I'm guessing I'm going to be embarrass myself/be totally embarrassed.

2ndclasscitizen fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Apr 10, 2011

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

2ndclasscitizen posted:

So I'm probably going to be doing an SM trackday on Tuesday around a go-kart track on a friend's boyfriend's race KTM 'tard (a 500something). Should be interesting.

And by interesting, I mean I'm guessing I'm going to be embarrass myself/be totally embarrassed.

You'll have a blast. Does it have a slipper clutch? Try backing it in, carefully ;)

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
No idea about a slipper, but I'm guessing it woukd since he races it.

Ignoring backing it in, what's the best way to ride it? I've never ridden a tard before. You're supposed to sit right forward yes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Must be a 525, which stock doesn't have a slipper clutch. Be sure to ask before you head out onto the track, as having one and not having one is two completely different styles of hard corner entry.

With slipper clutch: Approach corner like a mad man. Smash on front brake while at the same time dropping X number of gears, drop clutch, let god (the clutch) sort it out.

Without slipper clutch: Do the same, but don't just drop the clutch, you have to slip it back out so as to not hop the rear wheel as the wheel speed goes to match the road speed. A teeny bit of rear brake can also help smooth this out.

525's are beasts, especially on slicks/DOT race tires on a track. Give it a few laps for the tires to warm up and then you should be dragging peg and power sliding to your hearts content.

• Locked thread