Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Mickolution posted:

Out of interest, who are the "worst people ever" you mentioned?

Dirty Desmond and his cronies have taken the mantle from the group of tossers on Channel 4 who kept pushing this nonsense.

At least Channel 5 doesn't have a million repeat channels with good content on that can be replaced with this rubbish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
Big Brother was the number one work experience destination for people at my uni who were doing a post production course. Basically there would be around 20 editing suites just for the sheer volume of content and they would sit there for hours trying to find anything worth watching.

It's good that it's gone though, Channel 4 can finally put on some decent stuff which they are certainly capable of doing.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

First episode of White Van Man is being repeated on iPlayer, and the tall of the Inbetweeners shows up in it.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

SeanBeansShako posted:

Dirty Desmond and his cronies have taken the mantle from the group of tossers on Channel 4 who kept pushing this nonsense.

What's the problem with him? I'm genuinely asking, I don't know anything about him, Don't get Channel 5 either, so don't pay it much attention.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

marktheando posted:

Oh can I play too? Watching Big Brother is no different than watching a racist paedophile nazi murder babies for fun.

Next, on Channel 5...

(although Channel 5 have actually grabbed The Walking Dead, which I loved, so I'm slightly conflicted in my views about Dirty Des' channel)

Mickolution posted:

What's the problem with him? I'm genuinely asking, I don't know anything about him, Don't get Channel 5 either, so don't pay it much attention.
Some of his company's initial titles: Asian Babes, Horny Housewives, The Very Best of Mega Boobs, and Spunk Loving Sluts (thanks wikipedia), though he then moved into more mainstream publications, like the Daily Star and Daily Express.

The Supreme Court fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 6, 2011

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
Campus is pretty not good.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Mickolution posted:

He owns the Daily Express and Daily Star, two of the most xenophobic vile rags out there. The papers frequently break regulation with the bulshit that fills their pages, to get around this he unsubscribed the papers from the regulatory body...

Also he is a oval office.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
So I have been watching Peep Show with the lady friend recently. We've just gotten to Season 2, and I have to say that Mark (David Mitchell's character) is literally the living embodiment of e/n to such a degree that it sometimes makes me quite uncomfortable. Every bit of awkward/creepy/pathetic/neurotic dorkdom that emerges on that forum is present in some way in this character.

This would be a good way for someone to judge whether a guy is a horrible loser or not, actually--watch Peep Show with him and see how he reacts. I say "guy" because I can't imagine a woman being self-hating enough to cheer for this character.

Also it's loving hilarious.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

You're spot on, really. I see a lot of myself in Mark though, in the stuff he thinks anyway. George Costanza too :)

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

There is a little bit of Mark in any quiet awkward British male. If you have all of it though god help you.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Apart from Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, are there any other goons working at TV production companies? My internship is finishing soon and I want to get my CV out there as much as possible.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I can definitely relate to Mark in some ways, but I certainly don't get myself into situations where I just keep digging and end up having to eat a dog.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

SeanBeansShako posted:

It is pretty exploitive and the worst people ever make money from it.
Aww, thanks!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Aww, thanks!

I didn't know dammit :(.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

NaDy posted:

I can definitely relate to Mark in some ways, but I certainly don't get myself into situations where I just keep digging and end up having to eat a dog.

Haha, it's obviously not that bad, but the great thing about Peep Show is that in hearing the character's thoughts, you're privy to some very dark ideas and thoughts that most people are capable of. I often find myself playing games of "what if" in mundane situations like Mark does.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Pretentious statement alert, the modern man has no good or evil conscious just Mark and Jez in their heads instead.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I'd be partial to agree with that. Every real man is made up of Mark and Jez, differences arise when people have different quantities of each. I think we should submit a paper to a behavioral psychology journal with this in.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
There's a thought.

Also, what is it with the "-z" nicknames you Brits come up with? Baz, Gaz, Daz...I guess those are okay, it's just that "Jez" sounds a lot like "jizz."

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Aww, thanks!

Weren't you about to make a thread about the BBC? I recall something like that a few months ago but I never saw the thread.

Just saying it would be quite interesting.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I am literally unironically happy that Big Brother will be coming back and will probably watch it a lot if there's anyone in it who takes my interest. Suck my dick.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Apollodorus posted:

So I have been watching Peep Show with the lady friend recently. We've just gotten to Season 2, and I have to say that Mark (David Mitchell's character) is literally the living embodiment of e/n to such a degree that it sometimes makes me quite uncomfortable. Every bit of awkward/creepy/pathetic/neurotic dorkdom that emerges on that forum is present in some way in this character.

The second episode of the first series, where Mark draws Sophie the swastika cartoon on a sticky note and then hides in the stationery cupboard, had me eating my fist in some bizarre act of shamepathy; everyone else knows the rules of the game, and you're the one desperately trying to keep up, weirdo.

Algol Star
Sep 6, 2010

Early on in Peep Show I think most people can relate to Mark as he's an ok person but a bit strange and since most people have some little quirk and Mark has so many of them there's bound to be overlap. I recently watched through all of peep show and the problem is that steadily, peaking around s4/s5 these things escalate to a ridiculous level and at the same time the characters become such awful, nasty people that I can't really find it that funny because there's almost nothing redeemable about either of them as people.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum
Bitching about Big Brother is all well and good but it's one of the very few British shows that always gets it's own thread here, so I imagine it's even got some Goon appeal.

Speaking of the mentally ill, has anyone been watching the James Cracknell things on Discovery? I can't even understand how a man can be so driven that it's unhealthy for him. He qualified for the British Duathlon Team and did the Marines Assault Course (which I'm told takes 9 months to train up to) just as part of his training to run marathons in Africa for a week. Then he decided to run, cycle, row and swim across America before a truck persuaded him otherwise. Today's episode has him running in the Arctic or somesuch, haven't watched yet. The guy should either get a knighthood or be locked up, I'm not sure which.

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
It takes a special kind of twat to make John Prescott seem agreeable.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders
Comedy Vehicle series 2, 4th May, 23:30, BBC 2

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

That's quite the difference in timeslot compared to last series.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Paperhouse posted:

I am literally unironically happy that Big Brother will be coming back and will probably watch it a lot if there's anyone in it who takes my interest. Suck my dick.

I was and I had a big post written out but both the thread here moved on and it seemed a bit pointless to post it in it's own thing when it would be both of no interest to GBS and of little interest here. I'll see if I've saved the post (written as a .txt), though I've put a new HDD in my computer since.

Also I wish I'd run a sweepstake on how long it would take since Dirty Des getting the rights to BB for it to appear in a puff piece in one of his papers, as apparently the Daily Star spent 300 words today on who they think will win Celebrity Big Brother (transmission date: August onwards).

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
I wanted to see that thread so please do post :)

And yay for Comedy Vehicle, why so loving late though?

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

Algol Star posted:

Early on in Peep Show I think most people can relate to Mark as he's an ok person but a bit strange and since most people have some little quirk and Mark has so many of them there's bound to be overlap. I recently watched through all of peep show and the problem is that steadily, peaking around s4/s5 these things escalate to a ridiculous level and at the same time the characters become such awful, nasty people that I can't really find it that funny because there's almost nothing redeemable about either of them as people.

The problem with a show like that is that they eventually run out of everyday scenarios and the stories get more and more outlandish just to keep people interested. They probably shouldn't have brought it back after it was cancelled.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I'd be happy with a final series where it ends with them hinting that Mark and Jez won't kill themselves.

Also, jesus 2012 this week was so goddamn boring.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Also, jesus 2012 this week was so goddamn boring.

I completely forgot about that because the first 2 episodes were boring as gently caress too. It's a bunch of characters with faults taken to an over the top degree given mundane tasks to run with a 2012 theme.

You've got annoying airhead marketing woman;
You've got retarded management man;
You've got luvved up secretary, etc.

The rest just blur into a haze.

It's like these traits define who the characters are rather than simply being a part of who they are and it's really trite and boring to watch.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Kin posted:

I completely forgot about that because the first 2 episodes were boring as gently caress too. It's a bunch of characters with faults taken to an over the top degree given mundane tasks to run with a 2012 theme.

You've got annoying airhead marketing woman;
You've got retarded management man;
You've got luvved up secretary, etc.

The rest just blur into a haze.

It's like these traits define who the characters are rather than simply being a part of who they are and it's really trite and boring to watch.

Yeah, it's pretty dry. There's not really the sense of chaos you get with something like the Thick Of It which it would definitely benefit from.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Best review of 2012 from the guardian I think said its obviously not very biting satire because seb coe wanted to be in it, and I don't recall politicians lining up to be in the thick of it.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Metrication posted:

Yeah, it's pretty dry. There's not really the sense of chaos you get with something like the Thick Of It which it would definitely benefit from.

The thing about The Thick of It is that the characters have strong quirks, but those quirks come across as just part of their overall character which makes them feel more rounded, watchable and interesting. It also means they can do more as characters in the overall story rather than just their "schtick".

2012 feels like a minor evolution of a sketch show and it's a bit rubbish :/

wickles
Oct 12, 2009

"In England we have a saying for a situation such as this, which is that it's difficult difficult lemon difficult."

Padje posted:

Comedy Vehicle series 2, 4th May, 23:30, BBC 2
Finally we have a date!

Went to watch Herring do Christ on a Bike on tour last week - was pretty good and actually quite respectful to Christianity in a way.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

The last episode of Friday Night Dinner is absolutely brilliant.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Probably more laughs in one episode of friday night dinner than what will be in the entire series of campus

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!

pisshead posted:

The problem with a show like that is that they eventually run out of everyday scenarios and the stories get more and more outlandish just to keep people interested. They probably shouldn't have brought it back after it was cancelled.

It was never cancelled.

chazzared
Dec 4, 2006
A bit late to the table on this, I know, but that guy from News of the World on Ten O'Clock Live is an unscrupulous oval office of the worst order

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

You know, it just occurred to me that there are so many well known faces in Donnie Darko.

I've just picked up that his mum is Laura Roslin from BSG and that Seth Rogen is one of the delinquents.

edit: I forgot how much of a drat good film that was and that it's almost 10 years old now. I saw that at the cinema in my first year of Uni. :smith:

Kin fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Apr 9, 2011