Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Before he started getting booked more regularly, Samoa Joe was a CPA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

This just screams hit piece on TNA. What is the author's beef with the company?

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Nystral posted:

What is the author's beef with the company?

Aside from the fact it's a terrible company?

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

HulkaMatt posted:

Aside from the fact it's a terrible company?

Well, that's your opinion

Gus Sawchuk
Jul 13, 2001
A long time ago someone posted a video clip from the Japanese promotion DDT where a wrestler was doing a promo about some kind of crazy match type they were having. I seem to remember the names of weapons making up an acronym that was the name of the match. During the promo, the wrestler kept doing this chant that ended with "gently caress gently caress". Does anyone know what I'm talking about or have a link to the video?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

SamuraiFoochs posted:

What the gently caress kinds of "day jobs" do low level indy guys get? Is it all Taco Bell like Ian Rotten, or are generic 350 pounds of fat hosses software engineers, or what's the deal? Can any current or former wrestler goons enlighten me?
I'm about as "low-level" as it gets and I just work at the same market research firm I was at before I started wrestling. My favorite "day job" out of the guys I trained with has gotta be my one friend who sells elevators.

As an interesting aside, I am one wrestling school removed from Zack Ryder. Through some mutual friends I would've partied with him on Long Island a few New Years Eves ago, but I ended up hanging out with my dumb ex instead.:saddowns:

Minidust fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Apr 8, 2011

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Giedroyc posted:

Bill Watts may be racist and stuck in the past but Mid South in the early 80s was loving amazing.

He presided over the Dangerous Alliance angle. That was awesome, but may have been Dusty booking it.

But I think the company will still a joke behind the scenes and not making any money.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LordPants posted:

He presided over the Dangerous Alliance angle. That was awesome, but may have been Dusty booking it.

But I think the company will still a joke behind the scenes and not making any money.

Dusty was the booker and much of that angle was done during Frye's reign.

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier

Cornwind Evil posted:

Where would I order Raven's Secrets of the Ring DVD? It sounds interesting and I doubt I can find it in a $10 bin at Wal-Mart.

I know this was a couple of pages back, but MassRayPer is selling Volumes 4 & 5 here http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3366939

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

MassRayPer posted:

Dusty was the booker and much of that angle was done during Frye's reign.

There you go. But it was still loving awesome. One of the great blow-off matches.

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

Echoing the love of DDT, I remember people telling me that a Ladder once won their title, anybody got a link to that?

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier

Manwithastick posted:

Echoing the love of DDT, I remember people telling me that a Ladder once won their title, anybody got a link to that?

I can offer you the match where the ladder lost the Ironman Heavymetalweight Championship to Cocolo a miniature dachshund

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAn4xWV5jJE

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
I love the audience reaction to this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qawVEKad6Qo&feature=related

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

I love the audience reaction to this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qawVEKad6Qo&feature=related

I love that the other wrestler totally acts as though moving him too much might cause further damage, and gingerly drags him to the edge of the ring.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

404GoonNotFound posted:

This is pretty widely known (and she's not exactly low-level), but MsChif is actually a microbiologist, and has had a PBS doc done on her. "The secret lives of scientists" or something.

I have no idea how she can possibly be a heel after seeing that. She's like the nicest person and loves wrestling, but loves her work more.

Still on the ladies' side, Cheerleader Melissa's a security guard, right? Or was, for a while?

StupidSexyVaultGuy
Jul 26, 2003

apsouthern posted:

I know this was a couple of pages back, but MassRayPer is selling Volumes 4 & 5 here http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3366939

Emphasis on the word "WAS" ha ha!

(Hopefully)

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

whatsabattle posted:

Even Shawn Stasiak, who was previously fired by the WWF for being a loving weirdo creeper was given stuff to do.

This is from pages back but what's the story on this? I don't think I've ever heard it.

apsouthern posted:

I can offer you the match where the ladder lost the Ironman Heavymetalweight Championship to Cocolo a miniature dachshund

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAn4xWV5jJE

I love this video. A dog pinning a ladder set to a song by the band apart is great every time.

Suben fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Apr 8, 2011

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Suben posted:

This is from pages back but what's the story on this? I don't think I've ever heard it.

He got caught tape recording conversations in a car with a bunch of other guys. Apparently he used to carry around a tape recorder to work on his promos on the road, and he recorded some other wrestlers arguing as a "Joke."

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Anyone care to give me a brief overview of The Union vs The Corporation angle?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

KildarX posted:

Anyone care to give me a brief overview of The Union vs The Corporation angle?

Mankind, Big Show, Shamrock and Test, in response to the formation of the Corporate Ministry and their perceived unfair treatment at the hands of Shane, band together to form The Union. Vince briefly leads them against his son. At Over the Edge, they wrestle Viscera, Bossman and the Acolytes in the same ring where Owen died. Then Mankind gets destroyed a week later (to cover up for his knee surgery). And then Vince revealed himself as the Higher Power, and The Union was never heard from again.

This happened over the span of like six weeks.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
The Union also all carried 2x4s for like, a week or two.

Ktik
Jul 10, 2004

triplexpac posted:

The Union also all carried 2x4s for like, a week or two.

After Vince made his reveal, all of them had matches on that Raw against Corporation members because I remember Shamrock having a Lion's Den match. What a dumb stable.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
Oh man, I was such a Foley fan I even liked the Union. When I was in 8th grade me and my classmates wanted to name our group for one of our classes the Union in honor of the stable, but our teacher wouldn't let us because of the political ramifications it had that none of us understood or gave a poo poo about. "It's just about Mankind!"

What I am saying is I had bad taste in wrestling stables.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
How the hell did they continue the PPV after Owen died? I mean not just from a moral perspective but how the hell did they continue the show for the live crowd and the television broadcast after a live audience and a PPV audience just saw something so traumatic?

Was the PPV being broadcast live?

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
They also had the nickname, U.P.Y.O.U.R.S. which meant the United of People You OUtta Respect, Son. I think that, about, sums them up.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

AKMoose posted:

name our group for one of our classes the Union in honor of the stable, but our teacher wouldn't let us because of the political ramifications it had that none of us understood or gave a poo poo about. "It's just about Mankind!"

Hahaha, your poor teacher must have been horrified,"They want to call themselves The Union, they say it's for the brotherhood of man! We have a communist alert here!"

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sue Denim posted:

How the hell did they continue the PPV after Owen died? I mean not just from a moral perspective but how the hell did they continue the show for the live crowd and the television broadcast after a live audience and a PPV audience just saw something so traumatic?

Yes, it was broadcast live. As I recall, the television audience was told that Owen had died (hence the term "Owen Hart voices"), but while the fans in attendance saw the fall, and saw him carted out, no one found out that he was dead until they got home or heard news on the radio.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Sue Denim posted:

It was live, yes, and people were so used to the concept of wrestling being fake/shocked by what they'd seen that they just straight up convinced themselves that it couldn't have been real and must have been an angle. I never saw the PPV, just a clip of JR sitting stunned at his table announcing to the people at home that what they just saw was NOT staged and that Owen had been taken to hospital for real... while people in the crowd behind him are whooping it up for the cameras :smith:

As for the wrestlers themselves? Well think about yourself in that situation, they were just in utter shock, I doubt most of them were thinking anything at all and basically just going through the motions on auto-pilot. You can say the same for Vince/the production team etc, there must have been an utter sense of unreality over the whole situation.

There was also probably a fall-back for many of them to the old tradition of "the show must go on," as well - I find it hard to make judgment calls about anyone in that situation, it was beyond hosed up and I have no idea how I would react in a similar situation.

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

Sue Denim posted:

Anything can happen in the World Wrestling Federation!

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
Oh I agree, it's a really high pressure decision in a high pressure situation.

I just kind of wondered how it was possible from a production stand point, like you'd think half of the live audience would have left or something considering how many children probably would have been in the audience and how you'd explain it all on live television after your audience just saw something like that.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Also the fall itself was neither seen nor heard on the PPV broadcast, nor was Owen shown in the ring. They were in a video package at the time and only did broadcast/crowd shots for the next period.

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

jeffersonlives posted:

Also the fall itself was neither seen nor heard on the PPV broadcast, nor was Owen shown in the ring. They were in a video package at the time and only did broadcast/crowd shots for the next period.

I think they cut to another video package as well. It seemed like an unusually long delay at first, even before they cut to JR to explain what had happened.

Also there was a match or two between the fall and them announcing to the home audience that Owen was dead.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Also he was not dead when he left the arena in the ambulance, so there was probably some small bit of hope that he would be ok.

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Also he was not dead when he left the arena in the ambulance, so there was probably some small bit of hope that he would be ok.

I don't think that's true because some dude was actually riding the stretcher trying to resuscitate him as they were carting him backstage.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, the thing to remember is he didn't fall doing the stunt, he fell setting up the stunt. So not only did the TV audience not see anything but much of the live audience probably missed it or had no idea what they saw. Lights might have been down, suddenly Owen falls from the roof and maybe you caught it because you were looking towards the ring at the time. More likely you were talking to someone, looking away, going to the bathroom or concessions stand and you see the fallout with medics in the ring. Some people might be able to tell you what they saw and you might be able to piece it together but its not like everyone was watching the ring and saw it happen. I imagine most people in attendance actually didn't see him fall. So its not quite as traumatic as it seems when you first think of it.

That still doesn't make the decision to go on with the show any more sane or professional but the fans probably had a hell of an easier time moving on than the production crew and roster did. As far as most of the audience was concerned it probably wasn't THAT much different from a wrestler being injured and taken to the hospital. The home audience knew Owen was dead and knew exactly what happened. The wrestlers had the pain of knowing Owen and having this impact them on many levels. The live audience were actually kind of ignorant for a lot of reasons.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Hirams Bitch posted:

I don't think that's true because some dude was actually riding the stretcher trying to resuscitate him as they were carting him backstage.

I believe he had not been officially declared dead until sometime after that, though.

e: from Wikipedia

quote:

TV viewers at home did not see the incident or its aftermath—at the moment of the fall, a pre-taped vignette was being shown on the pay-per-view broadcast as well as on the monitors in the darkened arena. After, while Hart was being worked on by medical personnel inside the ring, the live event's broadcast showed only the audience. Meanwhile, WWF television announcer Jim Ross repeatedly told those watching live on pay-per-view that what had just transpired was not a wrestling angle or storyline and that Hart was hurt badly, emphasizing the seriousness of the situation.[48] Hart was transported to Truman Medical Center in Kansas City, where he was pronounced dead on arrival; some believe he died in the ring.[49] The cause was later revealed to be internal bleeding from a severed aorta.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
Thanks for all the information guys.

I know it's a bit morbid, but I've always been puzzled with how it was possible in many different ways for a show to continue after an incident like that having much of the audience both live and televised largely unscathed and some what oblivious to the whole situation and being able too keep up a charade of business as usual not even a half hour later.

I have another question for the hive of minds that is PSP:

What exactly was Sean O Haire's gimmick supposed to be in WWE? I've seen some taped vignettes and the only common thread I've noticed is he's kind of playing devils advocate commenting on taboo subjects with moral ambiguity.

It's a shame he never got it off the ground, I always liked him in WCW for some reason, I think as a kid I just liked that he was a pretty big guy who did a senton bomb and had a good look. It's unfortunate he couldn't hold it together because corpsing aside his acting in the vignettes is actually pretty drat good.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
An awful part of the whole Over the Edge ppv after Owen fell was seeing how clearly distraught Jeff Jarrett and Debra were, and that they had to go back out there and perform. I can't imagine

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Sue Denim posted:

What exactly was Sean O Haire's gimmick supposed to be in WWE? I've seen some taped vignettes and the only common thread I've noticed is he's kind of playing devils advocate commenting on taboo subjects with moral ambiguity.

It's a shame he never got it off the ground, I always liked him in WCW for some reason, I think as a kid I just liked that he was a pretty big guy who did a senton bomb and had a good look. It's unfortunate he couldn't hold it together because corpsing aside his acting in the vignettes is actually pretty drat good.

He was a morally empty instigator who would encourage others to embrace their vices and sins and push aside moral qualms. The problem was there really wasn't a lot to the character beyond that. He'd encourage Dawn Marie to flash or Brian Kendrick to streak, but he seemed to lack any real tricks beyond making stupid undercarders get naked with their backs turned to the camera. There was no real feud or target or true target for his stuff so he was just some guy who walked around essentially pranking people. It was a good idea that never really got fleshed out into a fully formed character.

Besides that he couldn't deliver a promo nearly as well as those videos looked. Those are highly polished videos from one of the greatest production teams in the world. O'Haire couldn't reproduce that in the actual product and wasn't a super smooth talker anyway. I remember his catchphrase tending to come at random, silly times rather than at the end of a long rant. Basically O'Haire's own abilities and creative's ideas couldn't meet the expectations set by the production staff.

He might have been able to settle in or creative might have found the right story or partner to make it work but he was teamed with Roddy Piper, effectively killing the character or any reason for him to ever have a microphone. Then when Piper was released O'Haire just got lost in the shuffle like so many others and released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
The Titan company line regarding Over The Edge has always been that they were so in shock that they just kept going out of inertia and a general show must go on mentality. Frankly, the idea that they put on a tribute show for someone they knew was the primary suspect in a double murder/suicide has always struck me as the shakier decision of Vince's two big "why the gently caress did this show happen" moments.