Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Achewood Cookbook 2, here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Doc Faustus posted:

Out of curiosity, how many people here ordered something that they never received? I know the number is non-zero, and that's a bad thing, but I get the impression there's a bit of an echo chamber here.

Everyone who pre-ordered the second cookbook back in <...searches gmail...> September of '09.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

withak posted:

Everyone who pre-ordered the second cookbook back in <...searches gmail...> September of '09.

Same here. There does appear to be a note from 12/18/09 saying that publication was delayed and "delivery before Christmas in unlikely" [sic].

As recently as May of 2010 it was going to be done real soon now.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES
Visa disputes are easy as piss to make, ridiculously so if its a credit card.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

That doesn't make it ok to inflict them on anyone. Any time spent on the phone with support is the worst kind of lost time.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Yeah, for me the ten bucks or whatever isn't worth the hassle of sitting around on hold trying to sort poo poo out (plus isn't there a time limit on how long after the purchase you can do that?), but it's still hosed up that I paid and never got anything. I'm not weeping over my keyboard or anything, it just kinda sucks.

Whether Onstad continues writing comics or drops them for prose or whatever he wants to do, I'll keep reading since I enjoy what he puts out whenever he gets around to putting it out, but I'm a lot more wary of purchasing merchandise in support of his projects when it's a crapshoot as to whether I actually get them. If nothing else, I'm certainly not buying anything that's not through Amazon.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
I'm full of respect for Onstand and I support his stopping the comic if that's what he wants. But he's literally a thief. I hope he knows how lovely that makes him seem.

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

Snowy! Have you thought about psittacosis?
I'm another disappointed Cookbook 2 order-er, and I just want him to get his act together on that. Call it a parting gift.

say no to bats
Aug 15, 2001
Rumblee tumblee, climin' a hunny tree

Cobweb Heart posted:

I'm full of respect for Onstand and I support his stopping the comic if that's what he wants. But he's literally a thief. I hope he knows how lovely that makes him seem.

That's why his "artistic malaise" bullshit isn't going to fly. Maybe part of the entire problem is that when he lost juice for Achewood, he stopped working on ANYTHING related to it. However, there's a significant number of people who have paid him, in full and in advance, for that cookbook, as well as more than a few other things ordered that never arrived after the shop vanished.

The cookbook is the BIG thing that he hosed a lot of people with but there's a lot of older merch he just decided to keep people's money for without ever shipping anything.

I'm sure his "vanishing" from the public eye has more than a little to do with the fact that he stole a not-insignificant amount of money from a lot of people.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

say no to bats posted:

I'm sure his "vanishing" from the public eye has more than a little to do with the fact that he stole a not-insignificant amount of money from a lot of people.

Hahaha It's not exactly the case, but it is pretty nifty to imagine Bill Watterson pulling a million gazillion preorders for the NEW NEXT Calvin and Hobbes book he's been 'secretly working on' only to vanish again into the woods a month later.

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

Tantum via caeli per ferro incendioque est.
And here for a while I was proud of folks in this thread for handling Onstad's departure from webcartooning well, instead of descending into a frothing rage.

Yes, it sucks about the unfulfilled store orders, and yes that is a big problem. However, can we all take a step back and acknowledge that this does not make Onstad some kind of Nazi puppy-rapist? Calm, people. Take a deep breath, center your chakras, and chant an om with me; has zen meditation taught us nothing?

From what I've seen, it looks like 99% of the problems center on the cookbook. Maybe some other orders are also unfulfilled, but if the cookbook is the main issue I wonder if it might have something more to do with the publisher than with Onstad.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
I dunno, it does seem like kind of an unclassy move to leave people hanging like that, and then make a post where you basically go "PS: donate, lol".

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

McGravin posted:

Yes, it sucks about the unfulfilled store orders, and yes that is a big problem. However, can we all take a step back and acknowledge that this does not make Onstad some kind of Nazi puppy-rapist? Calm, people. Take a deep breath, center your chakras, and chant an om with me; has zen meditation taught us nothing?

He does not rape puppies, he is just a lying scumbag thief who bilked people out of their money, and who then had the gall to make a post on the net asking for more donations while also saying he is not making much more content.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I assume that when I am buying merchandise from some kind of homemade internet enterprise like this then I am basically making a donation to whoever runs it and if I get merchandise in exchange then it's even better.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

withak posted:

I assume that when I am buying merchandise from some kind of homemade internet enterprise like this then I am basically making a donation to whoever runs it and if I get merchandise in exchange then it's even better.

Thats really big of you and all, but don't act surprised that people who purchased goods and never got them are angry about having been lied to and cheated out of money. If they wanted to simply donate to Onstad they would have.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

withak posted:

When I buy something off the internet I expect my merchandise.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Wandering Knitter posted:

When I buy something off the internet I expect my merchandise.

You all have more faith in humanity than I do.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

withak posted:

You all have more faith in humanity than I do.

So... did you know Onstad would keep steal your money from the start?

Whatever expectations or artistic praise we owe Onstad, legal theft (of the "I take your money and you get nothing in return" variety) IS a serious concern, and he should get that straightened out ASAP, with refunds or whatever. The way he ended things caused nerds to go into a rage (with various degrees of reason as we've already been through) and hell hath no fury like nerd rage, adding fraud/theft issues to that is just asking for trouble.

This thread goes in some amazing loops of love and hate for the man, so, to add whatever to it, here's my one cent: I did order stuff off Achewood, back in.. hmm.. 2004? something like that. The shirt and books made it to me so late that I had forgotten about it, but I don't even remember ever paying for it, so there's that. V:shobon:V

EDIT: For clarification, 'cause I'm a dummy

Zefiel fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Apr 11, 2011

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

WoodrowSkillson posted:

he is just a lying scumbag thief who bilked people out of their money

This is the kind of language that could stand to be toned down just a tad. I'm afraid if it goes much further, we're going to on Onstad's front lawn with torches and someone tossing a noose over a tree limb.

I'll say it again: yes it sucks that people paid and didn't get their stuff, but calm the gently caress down all the same.

Zefiel posted:

So... did you know Onstad would keep your money from the start?

Well, that is generally half of your typical monetary transaction, yes. The part that's missing here is the other half, receiving your goods or services in exchange for that money.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!
I think Onstad will eventually fulfill his obligations to all the folks who ordered the cookbook. If he wants to jump off of Achewood and start something new, he doesn't need to go into his new project with a glaring black-mark.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Fraud is a crime, "it sucks" doesn't entirely cover it. If enough people made complaints to their card companies, he might get his ability to accept them pulled, which would be something.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.
It does seem kind of hypocritical for Onstad to have made so many gently caress You Fridays when he is the one who is responsible for everyone's "money" being "away from them".

I was considering testing out the fan-flow to see what content I had missed over the years, but that's stopping me from giving him any money out of principle.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

McGravin posted:

This is the kind of language that could stand to be toned down just a tad. I'm afraid if it goes much further, we're going to on Onstad's front lawn with torches and someone tossing a noose over a tree limb.

I'll say it again: yes it sucks that people paid and didn't get their stuff, but calm the gently caress down all the same.

You can say it all you want but your "hey man, relax" thing isn't going to make what happened any different. No one is saying we should lynch Onstad. They're just saying what happened: Onstad stole their money and then tried to panhandle for more. There's no spin there. That is actually what happened.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Locus posted:

It does seem kind of hypocritical for Onstad to have made so many gently caress You Fridays when he is the one who is responsible for everyone's "money" being "away from them".

I was considering testing out the fan-flow to see what content I had missed over the years, but that's stopping me from giving him any money out of principle.

So... screw them?

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

Right, no one is overreacting. They just want to murder his children.

How much did Cookbook 2 cost, anyway? If it was the same price as the first one, that was what, $14? I'm sure you had to scrimp and save to afford it. Shop at Save-A-Lot, maybe? Throw an extra blanket on in the winter time and put all the money you save on your heating bill toward some webcomic merchandise.

And here Onstad was clearly planning this from the start. He concocted this Bernie Madoff-like scheme to get a bunch of nerds hooked with nearly 10 years of webcomics, sell them an enjoyable cookbook, and then he would spring his trap by scamming them out of like $15 with a fake second cookbook. Clearly we've stumbled upon a criminal mastermind. He is the organizer of half that is evil and nearly all that is undetected in this internet.

Calling him mean names isn't going to get your money back. Calling your credit card company might. Failing that, you might get your cookbook if you continue to pester Onstad without letting up; flood his email inbox, tweet at him, hit the facebook page for his new "like a less-funny, food-centric McSweeney's" site. If that doesn't work, start bugging the other authors of his new site and get them to bug him.

Don't just sit around in this thread whining, fueling each other in a circle of hatred for this faceless internet person.

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Locus posted:

I found the fan-flow really annoying to use - hard to search, overdesigned, and pretty much impossible to filter by content type, which I would have liked. It would have been fun to read all the Ray's advice columns, for example. 99% of the posts are links to the free strips or mundane blog housekeeping like "hey new stuff in the store!" Don't waste your money.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

McGravin posted:

How much did Cookbook 2 cost, anyway? If it was the same price as the first one, that was what, $14? I'm sure you had to scrimp and save to afford it. Shop at Save-A-Lot, maybe? Throw an extra blanket on in the winter time and put all the money you save on your heating bill toward some webcomic merchandise.

And here Onstad was clearly planning this from the start. He concocted this Bernie Madoff-like scheme to get a bunch of nerds hooked with nearly 10 years of webcomics, sell them an enjoyable cookbook, and then he would spring his trap by scamming them out of like $15 with a fake second cookbook. Clearly we've stumbled upon a criminal mastermind. He is the organizer of half that is evil and nearly all that is undetected in this internet.

Calling him mean names isn't going to get your money back. Calling your credit card company might. Failing that, you might get your cookbook if you continue to pester Onstad without letting up; flood his email inbox, tweet at him, hit the facebook page for his new "like a less-funny, food-centric McSweeney's" site. If that doesn't work, start bugging the other authors of his new site and get them to bug him.

Don't just sit around in this thread whining, fueling each other in a circle of hatred for this faceless internet person.

No one is saying any of this stuff, dude. There's no death threats and no puppy killing or criminal mastermind or whatever else. No one thinks he planned a scam from the start. You're making up that position. People got ripped off and they are angry that they got ripped off. That's all, that's the extent of it, any more than that is you imagining things.

Also, the book being inexpensive does not in any way mean that it is totally cool to rip people off over it.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

McGravin posted:

What are you talking about? Did I miss people mentioning wanting to murder his kids? You're strawmanning the posters in this thread. People paid him hard-earned money for goods that they never received, nor have those people even heard a peep from Onstad regarding their money or goods. THAT IS A hosed UP THING TO DO. The meanest thing I've heard him called here is a thief, and damned if that label isn't apt at the moment.

I think Onstad just needs to start leveling with people. It took forever for him to admit that Achewood is drying up, which didn't endear him to a lot of people. Now the issue at hand is the money that he took from folks (fans, even!) without giving them what was owed. If he would just post about it I'm sure that a lot of the animosity, if not the frustration, would go away.

And what's it to you how much he ripped off people for? In case you haven't noticed there's a recession on. People have less scratch these days. Also, when you pay for stuff you expect to get said stuff.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

As someone who pre-ordered the cookbook, I'm kinda bummed. I liked cookbook 1 and the preview we'd gotten of the second one looked pretty awesome.

I'm not upset enough that it's worth an hour of my time to try and get back my $14, though if I thought there was more malice on Onstad's part about it I wouldn't hesitate.

The lack of an actual cookbook and lack of communication, combined with the bare trickle of new content did lead me to drop my fanflow subscription, however, and made me unwilling to use those donate links he was putting up toward the end.

I don't begrudge the guy wanting to turn his hand to other things. I think that he handled the end of Achewood poorly, and that surprised me. In the end, I'm disappointed that I'm not going to get my cookbook, and that there won't be any more Achewood.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Dominion posted:

No one is saying any of this stuff, dude. There's no death threats and no puppy killing or criminal mastermind or whatever else. No one thinks he planned a scam from the start. You're making up that position. People got ripped off and they are angry that they got ripped off. That's all, that's the extent of it, any more than that is you imagining things.

yeah, dude's idea of inflammatory language and hate speech is bit broad.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

McGravin posted:

You are overreacting.

Do you also blame Rhianna because you're just such a big Chris Brown fan? No matter how much you respect the man as an artist, you can't insist that it's no big deal for other people to get screwed. I'm not one of those people, but it's ridiculous to claim that people shouldn't be mad about getting done over, no matter what the intent was.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
What the hell is going on in this thread. One dude not giving another dude what he paid for is not a thing that bros do. This is not hard to understand.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I'd like to point out getting mad over a unreleased cook book is hilariously stereotypically Goonish to lighten the mood a bit.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

I'm also fairly sure that most of the people sperging out about it didn't actually order the cookbook.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Tolan posted:

I'm also fairly sure that most of the people sperging out about it didn't actually order the cookbook.

I'd say that someone calling out other posters for "sperging" when they're simply pointing out that they've been ripped off is the gooniest thing.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Happy Hippo posted:

I'd say that someone calling out other posters for "sperging" when they're simply pointing out that they've been ripped off is the gooniest thing.

So what should I be calling them out for? Idiotic exaggeration? If you feel you've been ripped off, I'm sure you know how to deal with it. Turning that into "[Onstad is a] lying scumbag thief who bilked people out of their money" is far more deserving of :goonsay:.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

McGravin posted:

Who said anything like this, ever? No one has ever said anything like you have claimed. Please show me I'm wrong, quote them. He is a a thief who stole people's money, end of story. That is hosed up to begin with, but then to stop his comic, close up his store, and then have the absolute gall to call the FANS entitled, is just brazenly arrogant and entitled.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
It's sentences like your last one being mixed with the cookbook problems that's causing this thread to spiral into a lovely mess.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Yes we certainly owe Onstad a good discussion thread for his nonexistent comic and store.

WoodrowSkillson fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Apr 11, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uluru
Feb 21, 2007

Who dares to defy me?! I am Uluru the invincible!

lovely mess? No way. Personally I enjoy when people have meltdowns over their special internet friend getting called a thief just because he's been defrauding people.

Uluru fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Apr 11, 2011