Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Does anyone know where I could get the astronaut pic in this image:

My wife found it here:
http://www.jenniferdelonge.com/styleguide/?func=styleguide&var1=&var2=&var3=&var4=&var5=&var6=&var7=&var8=

but it's not in their store.

Tried cropping it and searching tineye, and then searching "pink astronaut print" "pop art astronaut", but no luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
It looks like they took the astronaut from this image and colored it pink:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Astronaut-EVA.jpg

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Mario posted:

Enable regular expressions in "more options". Search for .+ and replace it with '&

Thank you so much. OpenOffice gets me unreasonably frustrated sometimes.

Cookie Kwan
Dec 10, 2007

Stay away from the west side!
Would it be bad etiquette to ask the girl next to me at work not to play her Christian music next to me or would I sound like an ogre? I have no problems with people playing music next to me, but I do have a problem with it when it is Hillsong. Makes me uncomfortable.

Cookie Kwan fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Apr 8, 2011

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet

Cookie Kwan posted:

Would it be bad etiquette to ask the girl next to me at work not to play her Christian music next to me or would I sound like an ogre? I have no problems with people playing music next to me, but I do have a problem with it when it is Hillsong. Makes me uncomfortable.

In terms of manners, she shouldn't be playing music loud enough for others to hear without making sure it doesn't bother them. It seems like the real question is whether she would be offended if you ask her to turn her music off, which ultimately has nothing to do with etiquette. We can't answer that.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

Cookie Kwan posted:

She shouldn't have her music loud enough for you to hear, but if you're OK with her playing music, just not Christian music, then yeah, that's kind of a dick move.

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008
Okay I have a probably really stupid and should be easy to answer question but I just can't find the answer (I've asked a few people and they haven't given me a definite name on what it would be called)

In this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQMEFVL_vV8&feature=channel_video_title

At :52 seconds, the giant cloth behind the girl, what would you call that?

I've looked all over for something like this and nothing really comes up. I've searched for: Wall hangings, Tapestries, Middle Eastern cloth hangings and all other variants, so is there a proper name for what this is?

Slumpy fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Apr 8, 2011

Moscow Mule
Dec 21, 2004

Nothing beats the taste sensation when maple syrup collides with ham.
Maybe a throw?

I don't know if it'll help but I found this:

http://57631919.at.webry.info/201005/article_10.html It's in Japanese so I don't know what they're calling it!

Edit: Actually it seems that particular thing is a kanga. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanga_%28African_garment%29

But for other wall hangings like that, I can't think of a good term.

Moscow Mule fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Apr 8, 2011

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Dudebro posted:

So back in the day when royal blood and "breeding" meant something, what was the justification for it? If you trace a royal family back to its roots then you eventually reach ordinary people, so what was the process for them to become royal blood? And how did the common folk accept this premise?

It was the evolution of bands into tribes into chiefdoms into states.
The bands really didn't have a leader, usually. Bands were very small. Relative to packs of animals.

When food domestication came about or areas were teaming with wildlife that didn't require constant moving then bands started to become larger to the point they would be considered tribes. Tribes could be hundreds of people with less people related to each other than in bands, but people generally still knew each other in the tribe. Tribes tended to have a "big man". That usually was a type of head based on skill, strength, or diplomacy. At the chiefdom level when food production had really been cranked into high gear, thousands of people could be working together to sustain the chiefdom's food supply.
At this point chiefdoms usually had aged to the point that hereditary leaders started emerging because of family respect and certain tribes become dominant over others in what becomes the combined chiefdom through fighting. Also, at this point chiefdoms and emerging states started to develop their own systems of writing at first for accounting purposes, but the next step was for propoganda. At this point only bureaucratics and/or their scribes knew how to write and it really helped gain and maintain control over larger populations, since they were the people able to amass wealth in trade more easily.
At this level is where the people in control used their ability to spread propaganda to associate themselves with divinity. The large chiefdoms and states are the only societies whose populations have such strong penchants for fervent patriotism and religiousness.

Summary...
As centralized populations grew it was a natural evolution cemented with fighting and written propoganda.

Semi-related tangent...
The people we historically consider savages because they have limited technology are not the ones maiming the earth and suicidally fighting in the name of nationalism and religion. It's actually only the "civilized" societies that do that. Tribal people think it's irrational to go into battle to die for an abstract cause.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Slumpy posted:

Okay I have a probably really stupid and should be easy to answer question but I just can't find the answer (I've asked a few people and they haven't given me a definite name on what it would be called)

In this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQMEFVL_vV8&feature=channel_video_title

At :52 seconds, the giant cloth behind the girl, what would you call that?

I've looked all over for something like this and nothing really comes up. I've searched for: Wall hangings, Tapestries, Middle Eastern cloth hangings and all other variants, so is there a proper name for what this is?

cloth wall scroll?

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

The Aphasian posted:

Does anyone know where I could get the astronaut pic in this image:

My wife found it here:
http://www.jenniferdelonge.com/styleguide/?func=styleguide&var1=&var2=&var3=&var4=&var5=&var6=&var7=&var8=

but it's not in their store.

Tried cropping it and searching tineye, and then searching "pink astronaut print" "pop art astronaut", but no luck.

You're looking for US Astronaut Bruce Mccandless Conducting Space Walk During Challenger IV Space Shuttle Mission in All Posters. Price depends on the frame and image size you choose.

Disappointing egg
Jun 21, 2007

cosmicjim posted:

Semi-related tangent...
The people we historically consider savages because they have limited technology are not the ones maiming the earth and suicidally fighting in the name of nationalism and religion. It's actually only the "civilized" societies that do that. Tribal people think it's irrational to go into battle to die for an abstract cause.

I thought the latest evidence from archaeology and anthropology showed that violent death is/was much, much more common in tribal societies than civilised societies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_Before_Civilization

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

That's kill or be killed on a small level.
That's different from readily dying for an abstract cause.
Both are somewhat evolutionary.
At a tribal level ambush/murder without actually trying to fight to the death leads to your own survival and stronger tribe members.
At a state level, sacrifice makes the state more powerful and more likely to suceed which breeds more people bent on sacrifice for survival and growth.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Moscow Mule posted:

Edit: Actually it seems that particular thing is a kanga. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanga_%28African_garment%29
And the one in the video is here.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I'm having an issue with my Windows Media Player on my new laptop.

I have about a 50gig collection of music, and it was originally on my desktop which also runs windows 7 like my laptop. On the Desktop, I populated the library just by dragging the music folder into it and it took it a good several minutes to populate, but once it was done it was fine as long as I didn't mess with any file location.

I copied my music folder onto my laptop, but I'm having issues populating the library. I can go about it two ways, drag the music folder into it and let it populate, or go into the options and add the music folder to the list of folders. Doing both will work, however after I close media player, when I reopen it it has to populate again everytime and this is irritating because it takes a several minutes for the 50 gigs are so to populate.

Is there anything I can do besides getting a new media player? I like the format of WMP's library on vista/7 where you can see the album art with the information displayed beside it easily.

I'd prefer just to fix it but I'd possibly consider a new media player if it had as visually appealing a library like I just explained I prefer.

Thanks for any advice.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much
This might be outside the scope of this thread, but does anyone have any good articles or firsthand knowledge of security flaws with Silverlight? I was talking with a friend and a friend of his who works in the game industry and he was slamming it for being insecure, which may be true, but between UAC and DEP and all the other security features I'm reading about, I'm at a loss for how it could accomplish these things, and nothing I've searched for on Google has yielded much other than praise.

And I mean on the client-side, as in like you going to a website where some Silverlight app runs and does scary things.

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008
Ah poo poo thanks guys, kanga is exactly what I'm looking for

Miskatonic
May 16, 2010

A lie told often enough becomes the truth.
Can anyone tell me whether or not a gps cellphone (like an iPhone or android phone) can operate as well as a gps device intended for hiking/geocaching?

In other words, should I get a Garmin eTrex GPS to hike the Oregon wilderness or would my Samsung Vibrant suffice?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Miskatonic posted:

Can anyone tell me whether or not a gps cellphone (like an iPhone or android phone) can operate as well as a gps device intended for hiking/geocaching?

In other words, should I get a Garmin eTrex GPS to hike the Oregon wilderness or would my Samsung Vibrant suffice?

I suppose it depends on what you need from your GPS. There are definitely apps that will tell you your lat/long and satellite information, and I would imagine there are ones that let you put in waypoints and direct you to them.

Miskatonic
May 16, 2010

A lie told often enough becomes the truth.

stubblyhead posted:

I suppose it depends on what you need from your GPS. There are definitely apps that will tell you your lat/long and satellite information, and I would imagine there are ones that let you put in waypoints and direct you to them.

I'm more concerned about reception, durability, and reliability. The actual GPS devices are very durable.

A lot of the Garmin GPS's operate from AA batteries which is a huge negative.

kidhash
Jan 10, 2007

Miskatonic posted:

A lot of the Garmin GPS's operate from AA batteries which is a huge negative.

If you're really getting into the wilderness, then maybe it isn't such a huge negative? If your iphone battery dies then you're kind of screwed, but you can always carry a few spare AA's...

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
I bought some MP3s on Amazon a while ago but I've since had to change computers due to hard drive failure. Is there any way to re-download them without having to pay again?

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007
Spoke to the devil the other day

Miskatonic posted:

Not first hand, but I've seen many other people in the old geocaching thread here in A/T say that their phone worked fine for that.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
As long as your Android phone isn't real low end or stuck on old versions of Android (like 1.x or plain 2.0) it should be a great GPS device, especially in conjunction with free Google Maps and apps like GPS Status. You can pick up a cheap pocket recharger like this: http://www.amazon.com/PowerXtender-Universal-Battery-Powered-Charger/dp/B000R9C91M

Where you simply get a bunch of AA batteries and the correct tip for your phone and then if your phone battery runs low from GPSing all day you can just recharge it with that as long as you have AAs.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Zero Star posted:

I bought some MP3s on Amazon a while ago but I've since had to change computers due to hard drive failure. Is there any way to re-download them without having to pay again?

Sign up for Amazon Cloud Player (it's free) http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=2658409011

It's a service where you can store 5 GB of your own music to play and redownload anywhere, plus all your Amazon MP3 purchases ever are loaded on it already and don't count to your storage limit. If you buy an Amazon MP3 album they bump you to 20 gb of storage too.

John Redcorn
Apr 26, 2007
I am deeply flawed and unpleasant
Selling copper data/telcom cable? ethics and poo poo, keeping job not going to jail.

I have a recycling company coming to my work pick up a bunch of computer stuff. They are charging, I'm the one who called/will be their contact, my offsite boss told me to clean up and have them send a bill.

I'm thinking of possible gangster poo poo. I mean, I could take a bunch of computers apart and sell working gay oem motherboards and ram on ebay for bullshit money, but :effort: Lots of paper generated. No. In my trash there is 50ish pounds of 7 foot cat-5 rj45 patches and 50ish pounds of 50 pair cable.

No metal buyers in my town have websites but I saw one in PA that says they pay like $1.30/pound for insulated copper cable including telecom cable.

So if I try to sell this is that bad? Am I doing wrong by my company? They're not hurting, they paid over $100 for a dvd writer for me when everyone knows they're less than $30 on newegg. No one knows the cable exists. I'm probably making the bill from the recycler less. I'm constantly carrying equip to and from my truck so no one will care. But I see stories almost every day on the news of tweakers in my city and the crazy poo poo they did last night stealing x from y by doing crazy poo poo z to sell x for the copper inside. Are the buyers going to ask me where I got it and I say "work" and they say "where?" and on and on until I break and give them my bosses phone # and then the metal buyer guy either fires me or calls the cops?

I'm nervous like that Michael loving Bolton character from that movie I really hate when people reference even though the guy behind it's got some great stuff and this movie was kinda great itself at first.

John Redcorn fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Apr 9, 2011

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
I'd straight-up ask my boss: "Hey, do you mind if I take some of the stuff that we were going to throw away? Just like the cables and stuff - nothing with data on it." If he says yes, you're in the clear. If not, I probably wouldn't do it.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Zero Star posted:

No you can't according to some Googling. I also couldn't find a way to download any of my old MP3 albums. So unless you have a backup you need to repurchase them again. The good news is they will go into the Amazon Music Cloud place and live forever like they should have in the first place.

John Redcorn
Apr 26, 2007
I am deeply flawed and unpleasant

Gravity Pike posted:

I'd straight-up ask my boss: "Hey, do you mind if I take some of the stuff that we were going to throw away? Just like the cables and stuff - nothing with data on it." If he says yes, you're in the clear. If not, I probably wouldn't do it.

The thing about the boss though, I've never even met him. I know I've had bosses who'd be cool with me scavenging copper like a tweaker, the majority of them, I've had some who wouldn't and had some who I wouldn't know their opinion but knew I could at least ask if they'd be cool with it. I guess I don't want someone who's my boss who's also never met me to have a "copper scavenging tweaker" label in their mind by my name.

Plus you know all the other paranoias in my earlier post about what's going to go down when I get to the place. There's like 1 in a billion chance anything could go wrong just getting the stuff out of the building.

John Redcorn fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Apr 9, 2011

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
Disclaimer: I've never had a square job.

Would you get fired for taking the poo poo out of the trash? Because that's where it basically is. It's not like recycler is paying them for the scrap, it's the opposite, in fact.

I would go as far as saying there's absolutely nothing unethical about taking that stuff, and the metal scrapper really doesn't give a poo poo where you got it from as long as it obviously isn't stolen. Just say "renovating our offices, we were gonna throw it away anyway."

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Zero Star posted:

Nope.

Amazon.com posted:

Can I download another copy of my MP3 files after the initial purchase from the Amazon MP3 store?

The Amazon MP3 store delivers one copy of each Amazon MP3 file you purchase at the time of the transaction, and we are unable to replace any purchased files that you delete or lose due to a system or disk error. If you choose to download the file to your computer at the time of purchase, you are responsible for backing up the music stored on your computer. Instead, we recommend that you save your purchases directly to Amazon Cloud Drive, from where you can download and play them on your home computer, work computer, or Android devices. Files in Amazon Cloud Drive will be safe and available if your hard drive crashes or you get a new computer.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS

cosmicjim posted:

It was the evolution of bands into tribes into chiefdoms into states.
The bands really didn't have a leader, usually. Bands were very small. Relative to packs of animals.

When food domestication came about or areas were teaming with wildlife that didn't require constant moving then bands started to become larger to the point they would be considered tribes. Tribes could be hundreds of people with less people related to each other than in bands, but people generally still knew each other in the tribe. Tribes tended to have a "big man". That usually was a type of head based on skill, strength, or diplomacy. At the chiefdom level when food production had really been cranked into high gear, thousands of people could be working together to sustain the chiefdom's food supply.
At this point chiefdoms usually had aged to the point that hereditary leaders started emerging because of family respect and certain tribes become dominant over others in what becomes the combined chiefdom through fighting. Also, at this point chiefdoms and emerging states started to develop their own systems of writing at first for accounting purposes, but the next step was for propoganda. At this point only bureaucratics and/or their scribes knew how to write and it really helped gain and maintain control over larger populations, since they were the people able to amass wealth in trade more easily.
At this level is where the people in control used their ability to spread propaganda to associate themselves with divinity. The large chiefdoms and states are the only societies whose populations have such strong penchants for fervent patriotism and religiousness.

Summary...
As centralized populations grew it was a natural evolution cemented with fighting and written propoganda.

Semi-related tangent...

Thanks. That was a pretty thorough response and exactly what I wanted to know.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

John Redcorn posted:

Selling copper data/telcom cable? ethics and poo poo, keeping job not going to jail.

Call him and say "Hey we're throwing out a bunch of cabling, would you mind if I just took it home instead?" Don't ask if you can sell it, but if he says yes it isn't like anyone is ever going to ask what you did with it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

This might be outside the scope of this thread, but does anyone have any good articles or firsthand knowledge of security flaws with Silverlight? I was talking with a friend and a friend of his who works in the game industry and he was slamming it for being insecure, which may be true, but between UAC and DEP and all the other security features I'm reading about, I'm at a loss for how it could accomplish these things, and nothing I've searched for on Google has yielded much other than praise.

And I mean on the client-side, as in like you going to a website where some Silverlight app runs and does scary things.

You could try in the .NET thread or the maybe the Web development thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2262300
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2718078

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Air conditioning?

What are my options? I see the cheapest actual AC that isn't a fan is about £250 ($400?).

Is this the going rate or can I find a cheaper alternative?

Cookie Kwan
Dec 10, 2007

Stay away from the west side!
Yeah, in Australia we have the same problem. Cheapest portable air conditioner is around $450. You have no choice but to save up for one.

On a related note I hate it how catalogues and websites never specify when it's a water cooler and not an air conditioner. You see an "Portable Air Conditioner" advertise for like $300 and you get really excited, but then you look closely at the description and in really small letters it says it's a water cooler. It's like they're trying to trick you into buying one.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet

John Redcorn posted:

If you are supposed to get rid of it, and they didn't tell you specifically how to get rid of it, then get rid of it however you feel like. You could tell whoever gave you the task that it would cost X dollars for the recycling company to come pick it up, but you are going to save them money by taking care of it yourself. It's called taking initiative.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much

kimbo305 posted:

You could try in the .NET thread

Yeah I don't know why I didn't think to try there in the first place, thanks for the suggestion.

IntangiblePanda
Nov 3, 2009
I was just going through a bunch of old boxes of my mom's and found a copy of the script for the 10,686th episode of As The World Turns that has been signed by all the cast members.

Is this worthless?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006
What are the primary factors that affect how long it takes for a new highway or railway line to be built? In some countries it seems you can build an entire new section of infrastructure in less than a year while in others it takes 2-3 years to build new roads or even expand the width of existing ones.