Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
excaza
Apr 7, 2011

Zigmidge posted:

Driving well should be the only way to escape wanted levels for ever and ever into the future.

As long as they fix the driving so some vehicles handle better than a cruise liner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intense
Mar 23, 2011
I got really bored so I decided to reinstall GTA4 and download some fixes for it, whether they are helping or not it seems that its not as bad as I remembered it being but still if anyone knows of a legitimately useful file that will dumb down the graphics or whatever then that would be appreciated

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Zigmidge posted:

Himuro is just a masochist. I just started playing GTA:SA because of this thread and after having played IV so much, running from the cops now loving sucks rear end. I don't know if I can bother memorizing all the bribe spots again.

Driving well should be the only way to escape wanted levels for ever and ever into the future. I would say that car spawning just beyond the last known location range is supposed to represent them cutting you off because you're taking an obvious route. Dodging left and right down side streets worked pretty consistently at shaking the fuzz.

It's not so much I'm a masochist, but rather I really embraced the arcade-isms of past GTA's.

I think memorizing the layouts of the levels is one of the best thing about GTA, because all the cities more intimate details and more interesting level design come alive when you do so.

If you aren't memorizing the entire city by heart and the game isn't forcing you to do this, what's the point? That's bread and butter GTA.

Also, GTASA isn't a good example. I think GTASA is the game where they started using a quantity over quality rule. GTASA is just too loving big, losing the arcade-y feel. It's tedious doing even the most basic taxi missions before it takes like five minutes to drive from one end of Los Santos to the other, nevermind finding police bribes and pay n' sprays. I definitely think SA is textbook case example of "more does not equal better". Especially in comparison to GTA2, 3, and Vice City and the recent Chinatown Wars.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Apr 9, 2011

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I think SA is a textbook case of "more equals better." They gave us LA, San Francisco, Las Vegas, deserts, mountains, rivers, bicycles, stunt bi-planes, huge passenger jets, fighter jets, jet packs, and you can go up to any cop in the city and beat his rear end to death with a double-sided dildo. Whatever you wish GTA was sucks in comparison :P

Edit: alright, I'm gonna be in PC gay tony freeroam all night on live as davebo357 if anyone is around.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I loving loved GTASA at the time, but I can't replay it. It's so boring. It's like half the story missions are tutorial missions, and the distance between locations drives me crazy. I still like a lot about it, but it's that type of game I can't play anymore. On the other hand, my love for GTA 2, 3, and Vice City has only gone up over the years.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Himuro, not memorizing bribes doesn't mean I didn't memorize city layouts. That's a big leap to make.

excaza posted:

As long as they fix the driving so some vehicles handle better than a cruise liner.

I'm sorry you can't drive.

Intense
Mar 23, 2011
Oh by the way does anyone know if there is a mod manager for GTA4? Because I followed this tutiorial so I could get the mods to work but whenever I start up GTA4 with the mods and the other files in the folder it stops responding before it loads. Help would be appreciated.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Zigmidge posted:

Himuro, not memorizing bribes doesn't mean I didn't memorize city layouts. That's a big leap to make.

What's wrong with memorizing bribes then? It's more interesting to end a chase via bribe than pay n spray.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Himuro posted:

What's wrong with memorizing bribes then? It's more interesting to end a chase via bribe than pay n spray.
If you memorize where the bribes are in SA then whats the point of learning the roads? If you escape via bribes then you have to keep going to the same checkpoints, leading to taking a similar route each time, depending on where you are.

Learning the roads is a much better strategy in GTA4, every turn you make will make a difference in getting the cops off you.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Himuro posted:

Also, GTASA isn't a good example. I think GTASA is the game where they started using a quantity over quality rule. GTASA is just too loving big, losing the arcade-y feel. It's tedious doing even the most basic taxi missions before it takes like five minutes to drive from one end of Los Santos to the other, nevermind finding police bribes and pay n' sprays. I definitely think SA is textbook case example of "more does not equal better".

Alright, this I definitely agree with. San Andreas had a lot of poo poo to do, yes, but it didn't feel as... "tight". Like there were so many activities and things to do, but they were so spread out that you really didn't feel like bothering with it. Vice City, to me, was perfect. They nailed the atmosphere, the radio stations, and had just enough variety in the vehicles and weapons to not get overwhelming. All that plus a smaller map so everything was contained and cohesive.

Many people have said it already, but if they could take the fun, arcade-y feel of Vice City and put it in the GTA IV engine it'd be the perfect GTA game. They were nearly there with Ballad of Gay Tony, but not quite. However, I still enjoyed the hell out BoGT, I just wish there were more of it. In the 80's.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Request for next game: make the outside car views loving HIGHER.

For me it sucks to play GTA3 and VC without the mouselook while driving. The default views are too low and are a little too slow to snap back after a sharp turn.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
After playing GTA IV, I really hoped that the next game would be about Packie in Vice City. I think I still hope that. I think his character would strike a nice balance where you could accept him committing mass murder, but also involve him in emotional character driven stuff.

I also really, really hope that this game incorporates the poker from Red Dead Redemption. In fact, I actually hope they don't entirely remove the friend system from GTA IV. It definitely added a lot of depth to the game. It would have been fine if they made the mini-games more fun. I just like having diversions that flesh out the world of the game.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Cage posted:

If you memorize where the bribes are in SA then whats the point of learning the roads? If you escape via bribes then you have to keep going to the same checkpoints, leading to taking a similar route each time, depending on where you are.

Learning the roads is a much better strategy in GTA4, every turn you make will make a difference in getting the cops off you.

Because often bribes are hidden in alleys and by knowing shortcuts, you already know the roads.

excaza
Apr 7, 2011

Zigmidge posted:

I'm sorry you can't drive.

Why do you think that?

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

Capn Beeb posted:

You really should be using an edited xlive.dll if you're playing on the PC just to negate GFWL and the social club thing.

Just bought the game in the D2D sale, where can I get this? GFWL is an abomination.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

excaza posted:

Why do you think that?

Because so many people complained about the car physics in GTA4 that it became the default response for people to act dismissive and imply that everyone who dared to disagree with Rockstar's decision simply doesn't know how to play video games, rather than just accept that a lot of people prefer a more arcadey feel in a game as over the top as the GTA series.

Don't worry, plenty of people understand exactly what you mean by cruise ship handling. I'll never say the lovely car controls made the game unfun... just less fun. And at least they made some improvements to the bikes in the episodes.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Yeah, the tub boat controls are awful. I can't drive at full speed anymore because if I do, if I have to make a quick turn it feels like the road is made of butter.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

ElwoodCuse posted:

The rap station in San Andreas played everything uncensored, although Julio G at least referenced the FCC when he played I Just Don't Give A gently caress.

Like I said, I'm glad the music's uncensored and I definitely appreciate having the original version of the music more than any sense of immersion, but I guess I just want to at least pretend the DJs are more clever than to just say "gently caress" any time they're mad or careless or whatever. I might just be weird.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Himuro posted:

Yeah, the tub boat controls are awful. I can't drive at full speed anymore because if I do, if I have to make a quick turn it feels like the road is made of butter.
Use your brakes, the vehicles aren't slot cars anymore. Don't brake and turn at the same time either. Also don't use the handbrake unless you need to make a 180.

I mightve already said this, but Ive been playing since launch on 360 and launch on PC, I still fire up the game just to drive around. The physics and handling make it a blast for me. Whereas in SA where you could drive at full speed, hit the handbrake and you could make a 90 degree turn on a dime. I didn't mind it when it was all gta had, but now that they improved it so much it makes driving in the older games boring.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Himuro posted:

the tub boat controls are awful.
Did someone say tug boats?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Cage posted:

I mightve already said this, but Ive been playing since launch on 360 and launch on PC, I still fire up the game just to drive around. The physics and handling make it a blast for me. Whereas in SA where you could drive at full speed, hit the handbrake and you could make a 90 degree turn on a dime. I didn't mind it when it was all gta had, but now that they improved it so much it makes driving in the older games boring.

I thought I was the only one who played the game just to drive around. Seriously, it's great. I actually enjoy driving in GTA4 more than I do in actual racing games. I can understand why some people like the old driving better, but to me it's just because you didn't have to put any thought into it. there i said it.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Cage posted:

Use your brakes, the vehicles aren't slot cars anymore. Don't brake and turn at the same time either. Also don't use the handbrake unless you need to make a 180.

I can't stand SA physics either.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Cage posted:

The tweaks I did to my handy-dandy cheat code FIB Buffalo convinced me once and for all that whenever you brake, use the handbrake AND the normal brake at once, you'll stop quicker (MUCH quicker with my tweaks) no matter what you're driving. Handbrake and foot brake to slow down, handbrake to start the bend, gas to finish it.

And whenever I'm driving anything else it works the same way, they're just not as fast. The Feltzer is a lot of fun to drift around corners with, that mission where I kidnap the Italian girl in her pink Feltzer was awesome.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Icept posted:

Just bought the game in the D2D sale, where can I get this? GFWL is an abomination.

Right here. It disables all the multiplayer as well, I think. The .dll is most often used in conjunction with things like the Simple Native Trainer.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Is that old server for Multi Theft Auto: San Andreas still going? I remember when that was just beginning and the server would be packed with goons. It was an early build, so you can only drive, no running around at the time, but the custom maps we had were insane. Multi level demolition derby all the way up in the stratosphere, goon blues brothers where it's one guy in a sports car and everyone else in those beat-up Las Venturas police cruisers chasing them throughout the whole map. Man, those were some fun rear end times.

Too bad my computer took a poo poo awhile back and I've never bought a new one. :(

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta

nerdly_dood posted:

Disagreed. Half the fun in GTA4 MP is the airport. And if you don't mind tweaking handling.dat a bit, you can make your car indestructible so you can have all the fun you want in SP regardless of that ridiculous 4-star wanted rating.
I have never experienced the wonder that is multiplayer GTA4 before. I will one day. The first thing I am gonna do is jump of a building into some rotating helicopter blades. I want to see what happens :)

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Away all Goats posted:

I thought I was the only one who played the game just to drive around. Seriously, it's great. I actually enjoy driving in GTA4 more than I do in actual racing games. I can understand why some people like the old driving better, but to me it's just because you didn't have to put any thought into it. there i said it.

I always thought it was really lazy that people complained so much about the driving and getting phone calls from people. It doesn't take long at all to learn how to drive and surprise, cars that look like they should handle better, handle better. And you can either turn off your phone or just cancel friend meetings. Hell, I can probably count on one hand the number of friend date calls I got in Lost and Damned/Gay Tony.

Stuff like the detailed but empty and lifeless city, invincible target chase missions, and control scheme are much bigger problems than driving or phone calls.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
Has there been any indication that this new game will be in the same continuity as IV? There are lots of awesome characters I'd like to see again (Roman, Brucie, Gay Tony, Packie, Dwayne, the shifty guy from UL paper)

Speaking of continuity, did we ever find out which ending is canon?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

ElwoodCuse posted:

It doesn't take long at all to learn how to drive and surprise, cars that look like they should handle better, handle better.

You can't stress this enough. If you want a car that handles like the old GTA slot cars, get something like a Coquette or any other sports car. They're lightweight, speedy, and they turn on a dime. Remember the Banshee? It was the best car with the best control in every single 3D GTA, and it's still in there if you look for it. It handles every bit as good as it did back in GTA's Slot Car Days.

I'm not sure why I'm trying to argue with people who've already decided that they hate every single thing about GTA IV and its expansions, but whatever. Most of the complaints are basically that the game isn't "pick up and play" anymore, and they have to work for their enjoyment. Which is understandable, but it didn't really bother me personally.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Spalec posted:

Has there been any indication that this new game will be in the same continuity as IV? There are lots of awesome characters I'd like to see again (Roman, Brucie, Gay Tony, Packie, Dwayne, the shifty guy from UL paper)

Speaking of continuity, did we ever find out which ending is canon?

There's likely no indication, as they have done three games with the same characters already popping up already. Also, everything idicates it being called GTA5 and Rockstar usually makes a clean slate with numbered games.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I'd say all the characters from IV will be completely ignored or there'll be another easter egg saying they're all dead. The GTA series was never big on continuity, so I don't know why people keep insisting that they'll see the same characters from game to game. Occasionally one would make a brief cameo, like Claude in San Andreas, but it was pretty rare except for maybe the DJs (who don't really count as "characters" in the game).

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
On the other hand, Claude Speed is the main character in both GTA2 and 3.

Also, we need to work on that subtitle!

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Tewratomeh posted:

I'd say all the characters from IV will be completely ignored or there'll be another easter egg saying they're all dead. The GTA series was never big on continuity, so I don't know why people keep insisting that they'll see the same characters from game to game. Occasionally one would make a brief cameo, like Claude in San Andreas, but it was pretty rare except for maybe the DJs (who don't really count as "characters" in the game).

At the same time, though, Catalina was a recurring character throughout most of GTA:SA as were Kent Paul and Ken Rosenburg. Much more than simple cameos. Obviously the PS2 era games were not strict or direct sequel/prequel games to one another but they were obviously all constrained within the same "universe".

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
To me that's no different from Niko showing in TLAD or Gay Tony or even Elizabeta. It's just an extension to the original new numbered game. I'm sure GTA5 will reset it all over all again.

Wabbit
Aug 22, 2002

Have you any figs, Sir?

ElwoodCuse posted:

It doesn't take long at all to learn how to drive and surprise, cars that look like they should handle better, handle better.

Stuff like the detailed but empty and lifeless city, invincible target chase missions, and control scheme are much bigger problems than driving or phone calls.

I could maybe, maybe deal with the driving in GTA4 if the city was a little better, but I seriously hate how slow and tubby the on-foot controls are. Look at how loving fast Tommy can run vs. Niko. Sure it's more realistic, but while playing a video game I would like to have some exciting fast action and VC delivers, I would like more of that. A lot of GTA is running like hell to your next vehicle. I don't really care how detailed the graphics on the boxes and alleys that I'm running through are.

Wabbit fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 9, 2011

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Anyone who says there's more skill or fun in GTA4's driving than the previous games never learned to drive in them at all. Go watch some VC/SA stunt driving videos.

Lee Van Queef
Aug 27, 2007

by Ozma
Grand Theft Auto is my favorite game series of all time, but it took me until just a few weeks ago to finally play The Ballad of Gay Tony and god drat is it ever amazing. Best GTA ever by a country mile; they really did an incredible job marrying the phenomenally good driving and gunplay from IV to the crazy antics of San Andreas and the flashy excess of Vice City. GTA has been constantly improving pretty much since day one, and I can't wait to see what they'll pull out for GTA5.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

K8.0 posted:

Anyone who says there's more skill or fun in GTA4's driving than the previous games never learned to drive in them at all. Go watch some VC/SA stunt driving videos.
What do you mean by "stunt driving"? Stuff like hitting angled parts of the map and doing some flips? Most of the skill in stuff like that is having good patience until you get the perfect take. Theres plenty of that in GTA4.

Time to whore out some videos I made. Not that they prove my point or anything, I just capture anything that looks cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZpVJTbadqY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6zldJaCcBs

Most of those are just from tooling around in freeroam.

Also, a map I made back in the day for MTA:SA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xe413pbZ5b0

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Cage posted:

Also, a map I made back in the day for MTA:SA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xe413pbZ5b0

This is loving genius. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lee Van Queef
Aug 27, 2007

by Ozma
Yeah, one of the things I love about GTA4 is the frequency with which crazy/awesome stuff happens purely by chance. I've got dozens of videos saved in the clip capture tool of flips, jumps, explosions, spectacular deaths, and all kinds of other poo poo that happened in the course of just screwing around outside of missions. I still don't understand the complaint that Liberty City is boring or that there's nothing to do in it; I've put 100+ hours into GTA4 and its expansions and I still play them constantly. I don't think I'll ever run out of fun.

• Locked thread