Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

CADPAT posted:

The only Lego store in Canada is in stupid Calgary which is 3500kms away. WTF Lego? :(

Although there are some closer ones in the US, but they're still about 900kms away.

Soon to be two Lego stores!
http://www.sherwaygardens.ca/en/custom/Pages/TheLEGOStoreatSherway.aspx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
S4 just turned up in the local toystore, I picked up 5 and got the Hazmat guy, Scientist, both monsters and the skater.

Being bored at work I already whipped up a super-villian out of the Hazmat and scientist.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
All that fuss about the minifigs made me order 16 of S4 from lego today. I also went through my old, (yet) unsorted lego and found these:

Can you recommend a good site for researching their value?

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

RabbitWizard posted:

Can you recommend a good site for researching their value?

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogTree.asp?itemType=M

Specifically, find the minifig you want to know about, then look to the lower left of the catalog entry, and under "Lots for Sale", click "View Them".

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Ah man, you have some sweet old space figs in there.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Did really well yesterday with the dot guides. Didn't find the Hazmat Guy, I think his dot pattern changed from 402B1 to 502B1 but I got the Mad Scientist. Also got the Samurai and Mummy from S3 using the dot codes. The final one that guy links to on his photobucket worked for every number I found.

pad thai hi-five
Aug 11, 2003

Oven Wrangler
I got a 7942 set in one of those value packs, and it inspired me to recreate a childhood memory.

I redid it in LDD, because I was missing some pieces, and i wasn't too happy about the wheels:

I kinda like it, if anyone wants the .lxf, I can put it on some file hosting service.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

I went to build a weapon shop for my medieval market village yesterday.

I don't quite know what happened.

The large part of the floor is a hatch so he can get up to his room.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
Started making some little "date" vignettes with the "me and my girlfriend" minifigs. She began insisting I give her different clothes to reflect her wardrobe and scoured through all the legs I have to find pants that matched hers.

Hope they make that beret in brown or plaid so it matches my cabbie hat.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

ZarathustraFollower posted:

I need to do something like this while I still have my MMV assembled.

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Monsieur Murdoch Fan Club
I am so mad. All the stores I go to that carry the Lego mini figures series STILL does not have the new series 4. .... I am really excited with this series.

King Faraday
May 22, 2009

Intoxication posted:

I kinda like it, if anyone wants the .lxf, I can put it on some file hosting service.

Sure, no idea when I would be able to build it, but that's pretty as heck. :)

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

TRU will have Minifig S3 buy one get one half off Friday and Saturday
http://trus.imageg.net/graphics/med...minder2DayDeals

I'm kind of seeing a glut of S3 everywhere, I only hope the future series are as easy to find.

And a few sets are 30% off, including some large SW kits.

Baggy_Brad
Jun 9, 2003

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Needs windows!!

Shrike41
Jan 7, 2011
Im ordering the Medieval Market Village today!!!!!

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

Saint Sputnik posted:

Started making some little "date" vignettes with the "me and my girlfriend" minifigs. She began insisting I give her different clothes to reflect her wardrobe and scoured through all the legs I have to find pants that matched hers.

Hope they make that beret in brown or plaid so it matches my cabbie hat.

I did one of those for Valentines. The collectible minifigs are great for this, lots of girls with printed outfits. She didn't think it was appropriate for me to be going out for dinner with a surfer dude's six-pack though.

I was rifling through a couple of boxes of Series 4 the other day, and someone had crossed out all the figures they had cleared out. They missed a garden gnome though!

Joudas
Sep 29, 2005

Now here's a kid who's whole world got all twisted,
leaving him stranded on a rock in the sky...

Is that a hatori hanzo sword in the attic?

Testro
May 2, 2009

Sapper2CRNA posted:

Im ordering the Medieval Market Village today!!!!!

You won't regret it - I got mine last week, and it's fantastic.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love
Get it while you can; it's been discontinued.

I got mine like a month ago. It's so awesome :swoon:

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Saint Sputnik posted:

TRU will have Minifig S3 buy one get one half off Friday and Saturday
http://trus.imageg.net/graphics/med...minder2DayDeals

I'm kind of seeing a glut of S3 everywhere, I only hope the future series are as easy to find.

And a few sets are 30% off, including some large SW kits.

I really struck out today using this deal - thought I had an Indian and the old timey pilot, but ended up with the hula girl and rapper.

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

so, inspired by this thread I've picked up a couple of sets and I'm hooked.

I picked up a couple Atlantis sets, and since my local Meijer has all the "World Racer" stuff on clearance, I picked up a couple of those cheap.

I'd not touched these things since I was a kid, and I have to say the sets seem a lot more detailed and complex than the ones I remember as a kid. The downside is that having built these things, I like them too much to tear them apart and just start playing around making things.

Shrike41
Jan 7, 2011

Roydrowsy posted:

so, inspired by this thread I've picked up a couple of sets and I'm hooked.

I picked up a couple Atlantis sets, and since my local Meijer has all the "World Racer" stuff on clearance, I picked up a couple of those cheap.

I'd not touched these things since I was a kid, and I have to say the sets seem a lot more detailed and complex than the ones I remember as a kid. The downside is that having built these things, I like them too much to tear them apart and just start playing around making things.

Welcome to the ever growing list of people who have been pulled out of their dark-ages by this thread!

pad thai hi-five
Aug 11, 2003

Oven Wrangler

King Faraday posted:

Sure, no idea when I would be able to build it, but that's pretty as heck. :)

Thank you.

http://rapidshare.com/files/456568589/landrover-feuerwehr.lxf

Hope this works.

Jinjin Bemar
Apr 5, 2008

by Ozmaugh
Spent 90 mins last night making my son the Star Wars Republic Attack Shuttle- really fun to build and pretty complicated in places (well to someone whos out of practice anyway).

As a 37 year old I've not played with Lego since i was about 12 (my mum still has all my old Lego which my son whos nearly 5 plays with when he stays with her- lots of classic town, knights and space stuff mainly. My first Lego kit was a town my parents had to save up coupons from a breakfast cereal for back in 1978 iirc).

Im loving his interest in Lego, especially all the Star Wars stuff (I would have freaked out as a kid if that had been around then- my two favourite childhool things). The new kits seem really fun and have some really interetsing parts that weren't around when I was a lad.

EDIT- just thought the above is not strictly true- I did buy some of the models back in 1997 when the first wave of Star Wars lego came out, such as X Wing, Y wing, Snowspeeder etc. My son loves those. Also when did they stop using yellow faces for the Star Wars minfigs?

Jinjin Bemar fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Apr 9, 2011

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet

Jinjin Bemar posted:

Also when did they stop using yellow faces for the Star Wars minfigs?

I'm sure someone can give you a specific date, but I think people had a hard time processing yellow Billy Dee Williams and they decided it would be better to diversify the Hollywood corner of the LEGO universe than to take racially diverse casts and race-neutralize actual characters that had been portrayed by humans.

(And I use the term "diverse" loosely here. Non-homogenous.)

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love
gently caress their racial diversity, I hate the non-yellow minifigs.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

IIRC, they started with the non-yellow minifigs when they starteed releasing models based on The Clone Wars animated series, they also made the faces more detailed.
I actually hadn't noticed it had 'spread' to all of Star Wars until now. I don't like it.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

IIRC, they started with the non-yellow minifigs when they starteed releasing models based on The Clone Wars animated series, they also made the faces more detailed.
I actually hadn't noticed it had 'spread' to all of Star Wars until now. I don't like it.

They've used non-yellow minifigs for far longer than that; they started showing up for licensed sets in around '05-06 I think, for stuff like the Spider-man 2 sets, Star Wars stuff, etc.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
The LEGO Soccer sets were the first, I believe.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
And the NBA ones as well.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

The TCW figs are extremely creepy looking.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Super Waffle posted:

The LEGO Soccer sets were the first, I believe.

I was gonna say the Lego basketball sets. Lego black guys apparently didn't sell very well because I remember seeing a bunch of them in the dollar store.
e: juuuuust beaten

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The TCW figs are extremely creepy looking.

I agree, the females are generally okay since they're mostly aliens and look weird anyway, but all the angular stylization and sunken cheeks of the males don't really work on the classic minifig head.

And I don't think any of the Lego Sports stuff sold very well, I always saw a lot of Basketball and Soccer sets unsold.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

TRU is also having a buy one get half off one sale on town sets today. Not gonna do it myself since town is my least favorite theme and the one set I'd want is the cops/robbers/dog minifig set.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe
Lego and race is such a weird loaded topic. As I understand it, the Danes (let's be fair--not known for their racial diversity in Scandinavia) just went with a color to represent all races: primary yellow. It's not like every single Lego set released before the early 90s featured Asians and only Asians.

I have a strong memory of making a bald black bartender for one of my Lego worlds as a kid. He went by "Mr. Clean", and he had a standard yellow Lego smiley head with no hair or hat. He also had a Donatello style staff behind the bar he'd use to break up fights. Hence, "Mr. Clean and his staff are happy to serve you." Mr. Clean, as I recall, was one of the better helicopter pilots that mercenary company had.

My point is that old Lego's claim of yellow representing all races isn't bullshit. Especially with Lego, imagination fills in the gaps.

Then you get the people of any race who justifiably want to keep a close eye on children's toys to make drat sure they don't subtly encourage racism. If every single Lego minifigure out there has bright yellow skin, does that mean Lego is calling for some kind of everyone-is-the-same-color racial purity? Of course the gently caress not. On the other hand, if I was Shaquille O'Neill, I know I wouldn't sign off on Lego portraying me with light colored skin.

There's honestly no malice on any side of the argument. Lego was OK when every minifig was bright yellow, and Lego is OK when they go for a closer approximation of skin color, too. I'll agree that the hosed up wide set eyes from Clone Wars sets do look strange as hell, regardless of skin color.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Everything outside of Star Wars and other licensed stuff is still yellow, they only use actual skin tones when they're trying to represent real people. Yeah the first few waves of Harry Potters and Luke Skywalkers were yellow, but they quickly realized that wouldn't fly for very long.

One thing that always struck me as really weird, back when everybody was yellow, they went through a bunch of different styles for Snape. I guess he's supposed to be paler than the other characters but they made him zombie-gray and even glow-in-the-dark at one point.

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

I finally found some series 4 Lego mini figures. The Japanese girl is really easy to find pick out.

Actually out of the eight that I have bought I would say I guessed 3 -4 correctly and that was me trying. Pretty much this series it easy to feel and figure out which one is which with out using the bumps.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Take your time and you can feel out any series 4 minifig. I've bought over 20 now, and not gotten a single one wrong, and felt every single minifig. Hard ones are those with hairpieces, but each has a distinguishing feature. Wolfman has the bone, soccer player has a trophy, sailor has a telescope, etc.

I went to Toys'R'Us and found what I thought were 3 almost untouched boxes. Only managed to find 3 haz-mat and 2 gnomes, but now I finally have my 3 musketeers.

Out of the 6 total haz-mat I managed to get, I'm only keeping 3; the rest are gifts.

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Oh they are very easy to pick out. I actually had a harder time with series three than with series 4. However, something I like to do it blind sided and just randomly pick a package.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

Any tips on making strong joints? I just built a mech, and although I'm relatively pleased, his joints are so loose that I'm having trouble posing him.

What are your favorite ways to make joints that bend, can handle a little weight, and stay in place once posed?