Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004
Blocking was a massive success! It looks so much cleaner now:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

That looks beautiful! Blocking is one of my favourite magic tricks ever. :3:

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004

FelicityGS posted:

That looks beautiful! Blocking is one of my favourite magic tricks ever. :3:

I know, I love it! My two ends were wildly different before blocking- the one I started on was tidy, but the ending one was oddly long, with the edges flipping out. Now both sides look normal.

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.
So I picked up two skeins of noro silk garden at my LYS's winter clearance sale. Anyone have any suggestions of what I can make with it that shows off the pretty color changes? I also picked up two skiens of black mulberry silk to contrast with.

Scarf? Pillow? Other?

Also, I'm in So Cal, and it was 89 degrees on Thursday so it's summer already...

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Dead Cow posted:

So I picked up two skeins of noro silk garden at my LYS's winter clearance sale. Anyone have any suggestions of what I can make with it that shows off the pretty color changes? I also picked up two skiens of black mulberry silk to contrast with.

Scarf? Pillow? Other?

Also, I'm in So Cal, and it was 89 degrees on Thursday so it's summer already...

If I had two skeins of Silk Garden I'd definitely make a scarf. Maybe try entrelac for the first time.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

It's really good for making striped scarves. Knit two rows, then switch to the other ball, 2 rows, switch. There's an official pattern floating around somewhere, but it's really just switching every two rows between the balls.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
The Jared Flood scarf requires four balls though, I used two for my first one and got a nice skinny scarf.

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

If I had two skeins of Silk Garden I'd definitely make a scarf. Maybe try entrelac for the first time.

Vote for entrelac here! I did a tam in silk garden and some black wool, and it looks pretty nifty.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Sex Hobbit posted:

The Jared Flood scarf requires four balls though, I used two for my first one and got a nice skinny scarf.

Do you have a makeshift pattern for a two-ball scarf?

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

Molly Bloom posted:

Vote for entrelac here! I did a tam in silk garden and some black wool, and it looks pretty nifty.

That sounds pretty cool.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions! I didn't even think of entrelac. Also, buying two skeins of noro makes me want to buy more skeins of noro. They look so pretty in their little ziploc bag, waiting to be played with.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me
I have a skein of pretty noro sock yarn and no idea what to do with it.

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

Don't wanna be your man, just wanna play with you.
Does anyone have any recommendations for yarn ball winders? Knitpicks has one for $20 but I'd rather hear from people here what the best are, and if I should invest in an expensive one.

I just have so much yarn in half-used skeins and rolled into balls but it looks like a ball winder would make everything more compact and easier to store.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
I haven't used any others but I do have the Knitpicks one and it's never given me any trouble.

That said apparently you're not really supposed to wind the stuff up and store it that way, rather you're only supposed to wind it up a little before knitting it. Apparently it puts a certain amount of stress on the yarn or something. Though I guess that probably wouldn't matter with something like acrylic probably.

I didn't know that of course and spent literally the entire day after Christmas winding up every ball of yarn I could get my hands on. Because it's fun!

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

Don't wanna be your man, just wanna play with you.
Most of my yarn is acrylic. It's good to know that I shouldn't be winding it all up to store that way though. (Of course not, that'd be too easy.) I think I'm going to get this $20 one then.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
New Knitty is up, in case anyone didn't see it. I actually like a good number of the patterns, compared to recent issues. I really like Make Up, all the sock patterns, and Forest Ridge. Also I'm wouldn't make it, but the "blended intarsia" technique used for Verdant intrigues me.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Isis Q. Dylan posted:

Most of my yarn is acrylic. It's good to know that I shouldn't be winding it all up to store that way though. (Of course not, that'd be too easy.) I think I'm going to get this $20 one then.

It's tight balls that really cause issues. If, right after winding, you mush the sides of the skein together, it makes it relax, and so it doesn't stress it. If you wind it tightly, don't let it relax inwards, then it stresses the yarn and it loses it's elasticity.

--

In other news, I actually finished something for the first time in forever! Huzzah!

It's Senneh from the book Silk Road Socks. I'm really glad Knitty mentioned it in their cool stuff section, because this book is fantastic. Maybe only one or two socks I would never knit, but I still think they all look so pretty. :3: It doesn't seem like tons of people have gotten it yet, but I really recommend it. It assumes you know how to knit a plain sock, the patterns are well-written, good pictures, and really great support from the author if you need help or find an error. (I only found one incredibly minor thing).

felgs fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Apr 6, 2011

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
Wow, those are awesome! At first I thought you merged two patterns from the Cookie A book "Sock Innovation" (Kai Me and Kristi, if you're curious). I will have to check out that book (because I don't have ENOUGH sock patterns in my list...clearly).

EDIT: Dammit, Felicity...you owe me $16.95 now.

Bob Shadycharacter fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Apr 6, 2011

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Happy to be of service. :D

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Hey everyone! It's time to be disappointed with Knitty! :toot:

As someone who doesn't knit sweaters or socks...I guess the flounder's cute? And I do like that blanket. I just wish I had that pattern five years ago when everyone was having kids.

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Maybe it's just me, but the bottom part of the omelet shawl looks like little vaginas.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
There's a whole blanket in the latest Stitch and Bitch book that's specifically designed to look like hundreds of little vaginas.

Well, I mean, someone found that stitch in an old stitch directory and went "this looks like vaginas, I'mma knit a whole vagina blanket".

There's a hat by Ysolda Teague that looks a whole lot like a bunch of vaginas to me.

EDIT: It's not just you, is what I'm saying. Also it's not just this project!

RubySprinkles
Jul 8, 2008

Dead Cow posted:

Maybe it's just me, but the bottom part of the omelet shawl looks like little vaginas.

Jesus, I can't un-see it now!!!

I think the no-sew blankies would make nice throw rugs - just add some sort of grippies on the bottom for hard floors.

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs
Weird request: I'm pretty sure I heard about this store in this thread, but I can't recall the name of it. Almost like a Big Lots but I think it's more crafting oriented or maybe they just carry yarn once in a while. And sometimes you had to get on the floor level to find the good yarn hiding, but it was worth the trip. I thought AC Moore but there's not one in Butler PA, and I know there was one down there. Sorry it's not much to go on but my memory blows and I swore I had it bookmarked but no dice.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

zamiel posted:

Weird request: I'm pretty sure I heard about this store in this thread, but I can't recall the name of it. Almost like a Big Lots but I think it's more crafting oriented or maybe they just carry yarn once in a while. And sometimes you had to get on the floor level to find the good yarn hiding, but it was worth the trip. I thought AC Moore but there's not one in Butler PA, and I know there was one down there. Sorry it's not much to go on but my memory blows and I swore I had it bookmarked but no dice.
Tuesday Morning? That's totally a guess based on the description of "almost like a Big Lots" and "have to get on the floor to find the good yarn hiding".

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs

Fionnoula posted:

Tuesday Morning? That's totally a guess based on the description of "almost like a Big Lots" and "have to get on the floor to find the good yarn hiding".

omg you rule that's it! wow I love you guys :)

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
Tuesday Morning can be really iffy. I went there one time and it was a damned knitter's paradise - awesome yarns, huge variety of needles and tools, and a large selection of knitting and project bags. I went back about a month ago and they had 5 sets of bamboo needles, an ugly knitting bag, and 2 skeins of heinously ugly novelty yarn and nothing else. They generally keep all the crafty stuff in one section and it's all just jumbled together, so you have to dig through 18 metric tons of scrapbooking poo poo to find the knitting stuff. And I do mean DIG.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Dead Cow posted:

I was planning on knitting that! Now all I see is vagina.

Gonna do this shawl instead.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
I'm already in the middle (well, more like the beginning...ish) of a shawl and I'm absolutely drooling over this: http://brooklyntweed.net/blog/?p=664

Just. Holy poo poo.

I love that feeling I get when I see a new pattern and all I can think is "WANT NOW". My bank account doesn't like it so much.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Sodium Chloride posted:

I was planning on knitting that! Now all I see is vagina.

Gonna do this shawl instead.

That shawl is gorgeous, and finally gives me a use for my single skein of misti alpaca I dyed.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Wandering Knitter posted:

Hey everyone! It's time to be disappointed with Knitty! :toot:

As someone who doesn't knit sweaters or socks...I guess the flounder's cute? And I do like that blanket. I just wish I had that pattern five years ago when everyone was having kids.

How can you be someone who doesn't knit jumpers, the whole point of knitting is to inflict jumpers on loved ones :colbert:

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Wandering Knitter posted:

Do you have a makeshift pattern for a two-ball scarf?

I just did 1x1 rib maybe 19-25 rows wide, I don't really remember exactly but I had to make it a lot narrower than JF's. It depends a lot on your personal gauge, I'm a really tight knitter.

Spiteful
Apr 26, 2009

madlilnerd posted:

How can you be someone who doesn't knit jumpers, the whole point of knitting is to inflict jumpers on loved ones :colbert:
I think that needs to somehow be adapted to be my new catch phrase.

Out of intrest does anyone know any good/quick ways to frog something a couple of rows back? I frog each individual stitch and feel like someone has probably invented a quicker way to do this... I could be wrong however.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Spiteful posted:

Out of intrest does anyone know any good/quick ways to frog something a couple of rows back? I frog each individual stitch and feel like someone has probably invented a quicker way to do this... I could be wrong however.

Do you mean you individually pass the stitch from needle to needle, unravelling the new stitch as you go?
If I'm frogging a row or more on a project with more then about 20 stitches, I lay the project down, pull the needles out of the project (*GASP*), unravel as many rows as I need/want to, put the project back on the needles as appropriate.

Please note this is hell to do with mohair or angora yarns or on a lace project, so if you are making a mohair lace shawl, ignore me.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
Has anyone here ever overdyed cotton yarn? I have a sweaters worth of Reynolds Saucey, same color but two wildly different dyelots. It's sort of a dark grayish purple color. Doing that thing where you alternate skeins will just make tone on tone stripes I think, but I kinda wanted to make a little lace cardigan.

I never dyed anything before.

I suppose it wouldn't kill me to make a little tone on tone striped cardigan.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Dying cotton is a bit more hazardous than food colour + vinegar you can get away with on wool--cotton won't be affected by that at all. If you're willing to make the investment, though, Knitty has an article about plant dying.

Spiteful
Apr 26, 2009
Madlilnerd, that is what I mean but i'm frightened of twisting stitches :sweatdrop:
I still have issues with twisting stitches frogging stitch by stitch :(

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
Well, the important thing is just get them back on the needle. Then you can go through slipping each stitch to the other needle and untwist them as you go. That's what I do anyway.

Holy shitsnacks, I just got a phone call from my yarn store and I won the grand prize in their little raffle thing. A bag full of $500 worth of knitting loot!

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Spiteful posted:

Depending on what you were making and if you can see the stitches well, do a lifeline a row before the mistake. Thread an embroidery needle with dental floss (I just use sock yarn for my lifelines) and then go through all the stitches the row below the mistake. This is super easy if the pattern is just knits or purls. If you attempt this on a row with increases and decreases you may drive yourself batty.

Once the lifeline's in place, you can rip back to that row and not worry about losing the stitches.

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

I just wanted to share with you all how much I hate the following:

YO, p2tog where the first stitch that I'm trying to purl was a yarn over from the previous row. It's making me crazy because I'm trying to hold the yarn from the yo on my right needle, and I'm trying to stick the needle into the two stitches, but I keep pulling it in a way that the yo on the left needle tightens the stitch next to it to the point that I can't get it in :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Dead Cow posted:

I just wanted to share with you all how much I hate the following:

YO, p2tog where the first stitch that I'm trying to purl was a yarn over from the previous row. It's making me crazy because I'm trying to hold the yarn from the yo on my right needle, and I'm trying to stick the needle into the two stitches, but I keep pulling it in a way that the yo on the left needle tightens the stitch next to it to the point that I can't get it in :argh:

Ugh, that sounds pretty wretched. I really hate yo, ssk myself. Actually I kinda just hate ssk full stop.

Can you just leave the yarn in back until you get the needle in for the p2tog and then bring it around? Wouldn't that create the YO and the p2tog at the same time? At least it would be one less thing to worry about.

Bob Shadycharacter fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Apr 14, 2011