Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Out of the Wild season 3 must have been doing horribly in the ratings, it's now airing once a week, with new episodes premiering at 2 AM Fridays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Teek posted:

Out of the Wild season 3 must have been doing horribly in the ratings, it's now airing once a week, with new episodes premiering at 2 AM Fridays.

The taxidermy show that replaced it is terrible.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

New Mythbusters this Wednesday at 10 PM

They're doing that mask thing from Mission Impossible 2 for some reason or another.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Teek posted:

Oh is that what happened? My DVR didn't copy any episodes last week, instead giving me a rerun of DC labeled as Out of the Wild. Jesus Discovery, just show the damned thing, is it really worse than 2+ year old reruns of DC?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

FlamingLiberal posted:

They're doing that mask thing from Mission Impossible 2 for some reason or another.

ugh guys please stop doing stupid movie poo poo, I loving beg of you

TONIGHT ON MYTHBUSTERS: CAN YOU REALLY EXPLODE SOMEONE'S HEAD USING JUST YOUR MIND? *shot of Adam staring at Jamie, brow furrowed in concentration* AND LATER...WILL BEING BITTEN BY A RADIOACTIVE SPIDER GIVE YOU SUPERPOWERS? *shot of Grant's head inside glass box full of glowing spiders as he screams* *cue theme music* WHO ARE THE MYTHBUSTERS?

Rev. Bleech_ fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Apr 6, 2011

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I'm certainly no apologist for the show, but I can understand them doing this myth. They are, after all, in the business of special effects.

If they can make someone up to look like someone else and fool, even for just a few minutes, people who know them, it could be entertaining. Add in a soundboard for extra fun.

If they're just going to walk along the street, though, it'll be stupid. Considering all the freaks in San Fran, who'll notice?

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer
As much as I love Mythbusters and the idea of the show, the last few seasons have been really weak. They obviously ran out of ideas a long time ago and it seems like almost every episode they do now is a movie myth, something that can be solved with basic physics in about 10 minutes, or absurd poo poo that gives them an excuse to blow something up. I can't even remember the last time they tested something I would consider a "myth" as opposed to "something someone thought of when they were stoned".

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

They're just leading up to another terrible MYTHS REVISITED show where they yet again manage to somehow pick the worst myths to revisit.

This might be reaching back a few months, but did anyone catch that weird "science" spinoff that Byron did? They obviously thought nerdy tits would be enough to pull off what is essentially a Mythbusters clipshow. Needless to say it was atrocious. I only caught it once and haven't seen it on the air since, but I'm not really looking for it so whatever.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Martytoof posted:

They're just leading up to another terrible MYTHS REVISITED show where they yet again manage to somehow pick the worst myths to revisit.

This might be reaching back a few months, but did anyone catch that weird "science" spinoff that Byron did? They obviously thought nerdy tits would be enough to pull off what is essentially a Mythbusters clipshow. Needless to say it was atrocious. I only caught it once and haven't seen it on the air since, but I'm not really looking for it so whatever.

Wasn't that show supposed to be a kids show at least? That makes it a bit better, I guess. I remember her pushing it on a radio show.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I caught it a few times on the Science Channel. It's basically an entire Mythbusters episode with Kari demonstrating middle school science in lieu of commercials.

Kari's segments are basic "What do you think will happen when we put this balloon between two beds of nails?" trivia and an occasional clip of someone telling kids how science helps them in their job.

The only thing that struck me as stupid was the fact that the Mythbusters bits were heavily censored. If there's a logo on screen, it's blurred. Same goes for words on shirts, pretty much anything. They also bleep out weird things like "hell". In the episode where they race a toy car and a Viper, they bleeped out "Viper" every single time someone said it, which was a lot.

I don't know if the Science Channel is super strict, or if they do that to protect the precious children since it might be taped and re-aired in classes.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

They should do that mask thing from Darkman. Or The Mask. Or Mask. Or M.A.S.K.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

I don't know if the Science Channel is super strict, or if they do that to protect the precious children since it might be taped and re-aired in classes.

I'm 95% sure this is due to the classroom use. And it's not about "precious children" so much as some places are extremely strict about advertising in classrooms. Yeah, the kids aren't going to run out and buy Vipers but the policies don't differentiate between that and saying, "McDonalds sure is delicious!"

Edit: Also the logo and brand blurring started happening even on Discovery after a few seasons so it might just have been a policy carry over from there.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

FogHelmut posted:

They should do that mask thing from Darkman. Or The Mask. Or Mask. Or M.A.S.K.

Oh gently caress yes! A M.A.S.K. episode would be insane.

Okay, in the first part we're going make a motorcycle that turns into a helicopter. In the second, Grant builds that horrible loving robot that turns into a unicycle and Tori will ride it into a volcano.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

New Mythbusters tonight - and yes, it's the Mission Impossible mask thing. I read an article today about how Jamie is branching out to military contracting and developing body armor for soldiers, and they mentioned the episode was about fooling a security system with them, so it won't be totally stupid hopefully.

It should be entertaining at least. Plus Deadliest Catch starts next week!

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

LordOfThePants posted:

Plus Deadliest Catch starts next week!

:woop:

Finally, some good stuff.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ugh, I can't believe they're doing something as stupid as the Shoot Em Up "myth." That's as bad as when they curved the bullet.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

muscles like this? posted:

Ugh, I can't believe they're doing something as stupid as the Shoot Em Up "myth." That's as bad as when they curved the bullet.

Sometimes it's not about something being obviously false or true. Sometimes it's just an excuse to shoot poo poo up.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
The eyes. They creep me the gently caress out.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Adam could definitely pass as Jamie from a distance or maybe someone meeting him who didn't quite know him but Jamie just looks weird. I guess the problem is that Adam is skinnier than Jamie so they can just bulk him up but Jamie can't really make his head skinnier.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
The CIA already has the face mask disguise.

The guy who created it even wrote a book about it: https://www.cia.gov/library/center-for-the-study-of-intelligence/csi-publications/csi-studies/studies/vol46no1/article09.html

It's also the same CIA guy who masterminded the rescue of the Americans from Iran.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

DivisionPost posted:

Sometimes it's not about something being obviously false or true. Sometimes it's just an excuse to shoot poo poo up.

Its not that they're doing a goofy shooting myth, its that they're doing something that has appeared in exactly one movie and a not serious movie at that. Like, I'm fine with the shooting the gun across the floor thing because there's more history behind it.

This one just feels like they needed something easy, flashy and time consuming.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I'm liking Tory more and more over time.

"We get it Kari, you don't want us to ride on your merry-go-round :mad:"

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

They must have filmed the segments at way different times cause Kari's boobs were changing sizes between myths.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Palleon posted:

something that can be solved with basic physics in about 10 minutes, or absurd poo poo that gives them an excuse to blow something up.
Dude if you thought that the older myths couldn't be solved with basic physics in 10 minutes you need a better education. The problem is that a lot of the myths that they do fall under the same category of physics so essentially if you seen them bust one myth you should be able to figure out why other variations won't work. Remember that merry go round myth is really no different from another myth they did a while back entailing the recoil effect of being shot by a gun.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Apr 7, 2011

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

MadScientistWorking posted:

Dude if you thought that the older myths couldn't be solved with basic physics in 10 minutes you need a better education. The problem is that a lot of the myths that they do fall under the same category of physics so essentially if you seen them bust one myth you should be able to figure out why other variations won't work. Remember that merry go round myth is really no different from another myth they did a while back entailing the recoil effect of being shot by a gun.

The number of myths they've ever done that produced results that wouldn't be intuitive to anyone who remembers high school physics could be counted on one hand. There's a larger subset of myths that produced results that were much more or less severe than you'd guess, but most of the time the show's entertainment value is from watching the scientific method being performed and seeing cool gimmicks and explosions, not from learning something new about how the world works.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

MadScientistWorking posted:

You knew exactly what I meant (as haveblue described), but thanks for acting like a total jackass.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Has anyone been able to find a place to see episode 7 "Hope Floats" of Out of the Wild season 3? Since Discovery poo poo all over the show, it seems like there's no place to see it unless you happened to be watching at 2 in the morning last Friday when they decided to change its scheduling. 2 AM tomorrow they air episode 8. Crappy rear end Discovery. :argh: All I could find was a few clips from episode 7 on the official site.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Teek posted:

Has anyone been able to find a place to see episode 7 "Hope Floats" of Out of the Wild season 3? Since Discovery poo poo all over the show, it seems like there's no place to see it unless you happened to be watching at 2 in the morning last Friday when they decided to change its scheduling. 2 AM tomorrow they air episode 8. Crappy rear end Discovery. :argh: All I could find was a few clips from episode 7 on the official site.

Oh wait, so they did give it last week? gently caress! I thought they just didn't show it and were going to resume this week (in the morning.)

Why try so hard to make me not watch a show? Just take it off the air, Jesus.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
So how much does a professionally custom made top-of-the-line mask like that cost?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

muscles like this? posted:

Yeah...this feels like Jumping the Shark territory for this show.

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah...this feels like Jumping the Shark territory for this show.

Seriously? These guys literally polished a turd to produce content for an episode, and this is where they jump the shark?

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

They've been doing bad "myths" from whatever movie they could get clips from for a few years now. I'd hardly say they jumped the shark with this. I'm more surprised that anyone saw Shoot 'Em Up.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Sankis posted:

I'm more surprised that anyone saw Shoot 'Em Up.

I have to say I'm intrigued after seeing Paul Giamatti trying to snipe a baby.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Conduit for Sale! posted:

I have to say I'm intrigued after seeing Paul Giamatti trying to snipe a baby.

Its a very very goofy movie, more like a cartoon than an action movie.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Think Crank, but less edgy. Cartoon is the best way to describe it. The hero literally munches on CARROTS.

MetalGnomes
Jan 27, 2011

Asmodai_00 posted:

:woop:

Finally, some good stuff.

Love the Deadliest Catch, so I was wondering if there was a specific thread, so I guess I'll be hanging out in here, plus Discovery channel rules anyway, so was nice to find this thread regardless! :)

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I dunno if I can watch Catch without Captain Phil anymore. :(

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I think DC will be alright. I just wonder if the drama between seasons will change the tone of the show.

So I guess the end of Out of the Wild was ok. It's funny that they literally buried the show for like one or two episodes.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

WHEEZY HIDE A EGG posted:

Seriously? These guys literally polished a turd to produce content for an episode, and this is where they jump the shark?

Does anyone else remember 'Diesel Diaries' where they had the build team do a commercial for some Volkswagen diesel car as it were part of the show, and they all have that gritted teeth "who farted?" expression as if they hated having to do it?

I thought that was the "jump the shark" moment. Mid-2009. Seems about right.

It's here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dC5P9WjKy68

I'm in love/hate with the movie myths. The most recent episode was a perfect example. The Mission Impossible myth was actually an interesting idea: "Can a good enough mask fool somebody who's known you for years?" But in the very same episode you have the transparent "Let's shoot stuff" myth. They even tried to spice it up by lighting it on fire. I guess the bomb range wasn't available that day.

Edit:

Imagined fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Apr 11, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetalGnomes
Jan 27, 2011

I guess here is where I'd also ask if any Canuck goons have been watching Junk Raiders. Really enjoying this season a lot.

• Locked thread