Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadra
Dec 20, 2004
OWW.... logic hurts.

SpannerX posted:

If I was home right now, I'd seriously consider buying this one:
RIVA 180

Or this one: CH150

Hell, this isn't a bad deal either, atleast not around here: Vino 125

I have a Honda CH150 and I loved it until recently.

Question though,

I was recently in an accident on my scooter and I have (mostly) recovered. The weather is starting to get nice where I live and I am considering getting back on my scooter, but I am terrified. Any tips to get me back on the road without being terrified?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Hadra posted:

I have a Honda CH150 and I loved it until recently.

Question though,

I was recently in an accident on my scooter and I have (mostly) recovered. The weather is starting to get nice where I live and I am considering getting back on my scooter, but I am terrified. Any tips to get me back on the road without being terrified?

Wait? I didn't really have any fear after my accident, so I can't help much

I guess just wait until the idea doesn't terrify you. If you're terrified you won't ride safely AND it won't be fun. And start on small, low-speed low-traffic side roads, maybe a parking lot.

It is definitely not worth trying to ride if you're "terrified." Nervous, sure, terrified, certainly not.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I bet the terror completely disappears once you're on your scooter again feeling how stable it is going down the road. You'll probably be somewhat nervous still, but nowhere near terrified.

You've probably subconciously convinced yourself that riding a scooter is unstable and dangerous, you need to re-teach yourself that this isn't the case and learning by doing is the right thing to do, in a low-traffic situation like an empty parking lot or cul-de-sac.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
Anyone try out the 4T Stella yet? I've read Eric's review on modernbuddy, it's looking like it might be a decent bike. The 170 Buddy is looking tempting too though. If it's the same seat height as the 125/150, it might be a good bike for my GF.

Great, this seems like an okay deal: Yet another Riva 180 , to bad I'm working and nowhere near home.

Yet another edit

GODDAMMIT! I'd seriously consider driving to T.O. for that price. Could visit some friends up there as well. Why does work get in the way of these sort of things...

SpannerX fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Mar 22, 2011

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
So I ordered a TrailTech Vapor for my Stella:

My speedometer's never worked. Got it fixed once, then it broke again. Manufacturing flaw in some '08s means the pinion gear goes into the hub wrong, and when you roll the bike backwards, it gets ground down. My odometer reads 27 miles even though I've probably done a few thousand.

This works like a bicycle speedo, with a magnet on the wheel (in this case, a disc rotor bolt) and a sensor on the fork.

It also does CHT, tach, ambient temp, and a lot of other things.

It'll be a project to install, but I'll probably cut corners and end up with an aesthetically poor but functionally sound setup. If I want to run the wires with the rest of the bike's wiring, I need to fish it through the headset, steering tube, frame, and remove the loving gas tank. I am way too lazy for that. I'll probably run them in some split loom along the floorboards.

My Stella's in storage at my parents ~215mi away right now, so I'm going back this weekend to install this thing. And fix my turn signals. And then I'll bring the Stella to Seattle soon.

A speedometer! Exciting!

Gay Nudist Dad fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 22, 2011

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

My Stella's in storage at my parents ~215mi away right now, so I'm going back this weekend to install this thing. And fix my turn signals. And then I'll bring the Stella to Seattle soon.

A speedometer! Exciting!

Well, even though my speedometer works, it bounces so much that it's not really accurate.

I honestly can't wait to get back home and pull the bikes out for the season. I have to get a better cover for my KLR though, the cheapy one I'm using now keeps blowing off.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

I bet the terror completely disappears once you're on your scooter again feeling how stable it is going down the road. You'll probably be somewhat nervous still, but nowhere near terrified.

This right here. I'm in the same boat; I'm recovering from an accident and have only been able to ride again for two weeks or so. I felt the same way before getting back on, but the fear was gone as soon as I got on and started my scoot up. I am a little more wary than I was before, but that's not a bad thing at all. Be sure to gear up. If I hadn't been wearing a full-face helmet, proper leather jacket/gloves/boots, I would have been in much worse shape than I am now.

Dick Smegma
Oct 12, 2010

by T. Couchfucker
Hey guys fast question.

I want more speed from my zx50. I'm going to add a TECNIGAS NEXT R, how much performance increase will I get from this?

Second, when I add the exhaust, do I have to screw around with the carb? Because I had really no understanding of how carbs work.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Most two stroke 50's run pretty rich stock, so it should be fine. You will probably get a ~5mph increase in top speed( assuming it's not limited by the CDI or something else) and slight acceleration increase. Change the rollers if you want to get the most out of the pipe.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
I'm completely new to the whole bike-with-a-motor thing, so I'm gonna be taking an MSF class this summer and getting my motorcycle license. I know I don't need it for a scooter, but someday, when I'm out of school, I'd like to get a more powerful motorcycle, so knowing how to shift will be useful.

I've seen some talk of the Vino, but I haven't seen much talk of the Zuma in this thread. I'm interested in the Zuma 125. A 125cc bike seems right around the sweet spot for me. I'd like to drive it all around town which will involve a few sections of road at 55mph.

What do you guys think of the Zuma 125? How does it compare to the Vino that a lot of you seem to like? Is there something else in the ~125cc range that might be better?

Thanks!

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Fangs404 posted:

I'm completely new to the whole bike-with-a-motor thing, so I'm gonna be taking an MSF class this summer and getting my motorcycle license. I know I don't need it for a scooter, but someday, when I'm out of school, I'd like to get a more powerful motorcycle, so knowing how to shift will be useful.

I've seen some talk of the Vino, but I haven't seen much talk of the Zuma in this thread. I'm interested in the Zuma 125. A 125cc bike seems right around the sweet spot for me. I'd like to drive it all around town which will involve a few sections of road at 55mph.

What do you guys think of the Zuma 125? How does it compare to the Vino that a lot of you seem to like? Is there something else in the ~125cc range that might be better?

Thanks!

Well you probably do need your license for a 125cc, generally the cutoff is 50cc. Varies by state, but a 125 is always a "motorcycle."

The Zuma (50 or 125) is a great bike. The 125 is actually nicer than the Vino 125 - newer, liquid cooled engine and nicer features, IIRC. I definitely would've bought one instead, but it didn't exist in 2007.

Any 125ish bike from any of the brands in the OP will be good, but none "better," really, than a Zuma. Just different options.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Well you probably do need your license for a 125cc, generally the cutoff is 50cc. Varies by state, but a 125 is always a "motorcycle."

The Zuma (50 or 125) is a great bike. The 125 is actually nicer than the Vino 125 - newer, liquid cooled engine and nicer features, IIRC. I definitely would've bought one instead, but it didn't exist in 2007.

Any 125ish bike from any of the brands in the OP will be good, but none "better," really, than a Zuma. Just different options.

Awesome, thanks!

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
So this is what my Stella's headset is going to look like:

Except when the Vapor's wired in for power it'll have a nice white backlight. And more numbers.

To fill the space left by taking out the (circular) speedo unit, I found a plastics shop in town and for $12 they cut the appropriate-sized circle for me out of 1/4" gloss black acrylic. Into which I drilled some holes for mounting screws and wire pass-through. The gloss blacks don't quite "match," but it's close enough.

I've only got a couple little things to do to finish it all up, but they'll have to wait until I am again reunited with the scooter. I'm excited to have it working, it'll be rad.

Adderholt
Jul 1, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

So nice. What kind of speedo is that?

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Adderholt posted:

So nice. What kind of speedo is that?

Trail Tech Vapor

(psst - I posted about it up this page)

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

That mounting looks great! I look forward to seeing pictures of it in action on your Stella.

Trident
Jun 18, 2004
We cook your meals, we drive your ambulances. We connect your calls, we guard you while you sleep. Do not... fuck with us.
Picked up my Kymco Super8 150 yesterday. It was 44 degrees. Freaking cold ride home. But let me tell you, there is a world of difference between this and my old Ruckus. I was always defending how the Ruckus was a real motor vehicle, but now I really feel like it was just a toy that gave me a bad first impression of riding. On the Ruck I was always crawling up hills, barely getting up to 38-40mph on flat straightaways, it made me nervous in traffic. The Super8 is amazing. I can get up to 45 in seconds. I can cruise around at 50 with ease. I can climb hills and still be accelerating when it gets to 45. And the stability is amazing. A+ would buy again.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Trident posted:

Picked up my Kymco Super8 150 yesterday. It was 44 degrees. Freaking cold ride home. But let me tell you, there is a world of difference between this and my old Ruckus. I was always defending how the Ruckus was a real motor vehicle, but now I really feel like it was just a toy that gave me a bad first impression of riding. On the Ruck I was always crawling up hills, barely getting up to 38-40mph on flat straightaways, it made me nervous in traffic. The Super8 is amazing. I can get up to 45 in seconds. I can cruise around at 50 with ease. I can climb hills and still be accelerating when it gets to 45. And the stability is amazing. A+ would buy again.

Congrats on the bike! If you can, though, ride a full size motorcycle..it's the same sort of step up from a scooter.

Trident
Jun 18, 2004
We cook your meals, we drive your ambulances. We connect your calls, we guard you while you sleep. Do not... fuck with us.

Z3n posted:

Congrats on the bike! If you can, though, ride a full size motorcycle..it's the same sort of step up from a scooter.

I surely will, when CVT motorcycles are in the same price range as manuals. For now I will continue to enjoy my leisurely scoot through woods and past lakes 22 miles of back roads to and from work each day.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Trident posted:

I surely will, when CVT motorcycles are in the same price range as manuals. For now I will continue to enjoy my leisurely scoot through woods and past lakes 22 miles of back roads to and from work each day.

That sounds like an awesome commute, like it was made for a scoot.

On this note, I have a question for the scooter crowd:

How do gripshift scooters work? Is it like a clutchless dirtbike or something else entirely?

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

That sounds like an awesome commute, like it was made for a scoot.

On this note, I have a question for the scooter crowd:

How do gripshift scooters work? Is it like a clutchless dirtbike or something else entirely?

If you are talking old school Italian, like a P series Vespa or older, or a REAL Lambretta, then nope, they have a clutch in the same place as a motorcycle, which you pull in and twist the left grip to change gears. I thought it would be a pain in the rear end to use when I first saw one, but it's pretty easy, though to shift to 4th on my P200E I really have to twist it. I should adjust that...

Here's a video!

SpannerX fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Mar 30, 2011

umbrage
Sep 5, 2007

beast mode

SpannerX posted:

though to shift to 4th on my P200E I really have to twist it. I should adjust that...

Na-na na-na na-na na-na batwiiiiiiiiiiiing!

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

umbrage posted:

Na-na na-na na-na na-na batwiiiiiiiiiiiing!
Hmm, as far as I can remember that seems to be about the same as mine is on the video, so I guess I don't have to adjust it yet, but thanks for the info!

Someone was asking about the Zuma/BWS 125 earlier, and here is a thread on ADV about that particular scoot. It's by Angryscot who is the scooter mod over there (okay, that's just strange): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=575824

He loves it.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Okay after reading the OP most of his links take me to places to buy parts, where is a good place to buy a scooter from?

basically I am looking for a moped/scooter for around 500-600

I am looking at this http://www.powersportsmax.com/product_info.php/cPath/38_93/products_id/303

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 5, 2011

Soylent Cola
Feb 24, 2011

Corvettefisher posted:

Okay after reading the OP most of his links take me to places to buy parts, where is a good place to buy a scooter from?

I am looking at this http://www.powersportsmax.com/product_info.php/cPath/38_93/products_id/303

I won't claim to know everything about scooters and I have only had my Honda Met for two years but one thing I've been told time and again is to avoid the random no-name scooters like that.

I became interested in getting a scooter after a friend told me about getting some random Chinese model for $800 new. I live in the city and my commute is only a few miles so it seemed like a great way to save on gas and parking costs. Still, the more I read about it, I learned that not only do those cheap scooters not last very long but they are impossible to find parts or service for lots of the time.

The way I saw it, I was best off looking at Kymco, Yamaha, and Honda among others if I was interested in something cheap yet reliable. You can find them for around $1400-1900 new if you look around (I'm sure there is some wiggle room in there depending on your region, etc). They are recognized brands that sell scooters all over the world and want to keep their reputation. They are not selling disposable bikes to last a year or two.

I can't say that nobody should ever buy a cheap sub-$900 scooter but pretty much anyone with any knowledge or experience in the market strongly advised me against it. My Honda has been easy to service, reliable as hell, and cost me under $2k brand new with a helmet, jacket, gloves, and tie-downs. I shopped around and was willing to drive a little way out of town for a dealer who wasn't trying to tack on all kinds of charges that should have been included in MSRP.

Likewise, I think you are better off finding a used scooter from a more reputable manufacturer if you are on a super tight budget. Maybe I'm completely wrong about this but it's something to keep in mind.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Corvettefisher posted:

A good place to buy a scooter from is not online, as Soylent Cola covered.

Remember, you are buying a motor vehicle. Would you order a car online, or a motorcycle? A scooter should meet the same minimum standard of build and design quality as you would want in a car; perhaps more so as the potential punishment for failure is so much greater. A catastrophic brake failure on a car still leaves you with a metal cage; a catastrophic brake failure on a scooter is much more dire.

If you have a garage and a set of tools and know how to use them and/or you plan on riding very infrequently, the Chinese bikes can be okay. General guidelines seem to be that if you get one, you want to go through it upon delivery and apply Loctite to basically every bolt, clean and re-lubricate everything including engine and final drive oil changes (due to dubious quality of Chinese lubricants) and check everything for proper torque values. And then just give the bike thorough inspection every couple hundred miles. The QC on these is wildly variable.

Whether you buy a Chinese bike locally or online, you can't always count on your dealer to stock parts you might need. This is because A: the factory can't supply the dealer; or B: the dealer won't be there. A lot of sketchy fly-by-nighters are in the Generic Chinese Scooter Business.

One upside is that they are so generic that you can find parts online pretty easily these days. But again, it'll probably be DIY.

Probably the lowest-MSRP 50cc bike (that's still from a reputable manufacturer) I can think of is the Kymco Agility 50, which according to their website has an MSRP of $1399. I believe the Agilities are built in mainland China, unlike the Taiwanese production of their other bikes, but still have Kymco's QC and standards in place.

Really, if cheap is the concern, buy used. I've seen a good amount of nice, older (frequently 1980s) bikes for $600 on CL.

Gay Nudist Dad fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Apr 6, 2011

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Alright thanks for your help, I am mostly looking for something to use over the summer until I get my raise and get a car.

Circus Pies!
Feb 11, 2011

I thought you were getting me a pie shaped like a clown, instead you mangled my dick!
Over the past month I painted my Rattler 110 Sparkly red, put on a unipod air filter, hooked up an Aoogah horn and put a much brighter headlight bulb in because I mooved to the sticks and have no street lights for miles around my house. I am waiting for my new belt, 10 gram Dr. Pulley weights and 100 main jet. It's almost like I've got (am getting) a whole new scooter.

Ill take pictures after I have her all put together.

Charlie Bubblegum
Feb 28, 2004

a charlie come a charlie come a bubble gum
Been doing some work on my dads scooter today so I thought I would show you a couple of pics:

Scooter is a 1959 Lambretta Series 2, today I fitted a new horn, handlebar switch, rear brake cable and re-wired the headset ready for its MOT. Got more specs if anyone is interested!

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

That Lambretta is gorgeous! The color scheme is just perfect. Please do go on.

Adderholt
Jul 1, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Charlie Bubblegum posted:

Been doing some work on my dads scooter today so I thought I would show you a couple of pics:

Scooter is a 1959 Lambretta Series 2, today I fitted a new horn, handlebar switch, rear brake cable and re-wired the headset ready for its MOT. Got more specs if anyone is interested!

Simply gorgeous. I hope to get a servetta before too much longer. Speaking of pics my Stella went in for it's 500 mile tune up:

And got a new seat:

:frogc00l:

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot

Sweet S2, I have a '58 Series 1 that's probably my favorite bike to ride. I have to do some ignition work on it though, I think the condenser's gone wonky and it's a pain in the rear end to solder around in that stator.

(in commute mode complete with thermos)

Charlie Bubblegum
Feb 28, 2004

Cheesebot why not upgrade to a 12v electronic ignition? Pretty much no electrical problems at all, and better lights all round, and cheap enough if you know where to look. By the way that's a beautiful series 1, what are the engine specs? All standard? I'm running a series 3 at the minute, a 1966 150 with a stage 4 175 fitted, and a 42mm reverse cone clubman which is essentially a clubman exhaust with the tailpipe from a Volkswagen Beetle on it :D

My dads series 2 is an Italian 125 frame, but the engine is a 150 casing. We took out the 150 cylinder, crank and piston and put it a 186 Mugello race kit and a Mec crank. Then we did a stage 4 tune on the cylinder (opened the ports and matched the manifold inlets and casings) and put a 28mm Dell'orto PHBH carb on it. The orangey paint is officially Peugeot Sundance and unfortunately we have had a hard time finding a tin to match so we can touch up the scratches. Seats have been re-covered and we also fitted an Indian 12v electronic system and additional front dampers.

EDIT: heres an old pic of my series 3 with a sterling exhaust fitted and no right hand runner board:

Charlie Bubblegum fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Apr 9, 2011

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot

Cheesebot why not upgrade to a 12v electronic ignition? Pretty much no electrical problems at all, and better lights all round, and cheap enough if you know where to look. By the way that's a beautiful series 1, what are the engine specs? All standard? I'm running a series 3 at the minute, a 1966 150 with a stage 4 175 fitted, and a 42mm reverse cone clubman which is essentially a clubman exhaust with the tailpipe from a Volkswagen Beetle on it :D

Yeah my S1 is a bone stock Li150 Framebreather except I switched out the front hub for an S3 hub because I don't want to die.

I'm definitely into the Indian 12v electronic ignition and I've been researching it. I just have so many bikes to work on in a finite period of free time and as much as I love the Lammy it's not the most practical of the lot. Any advice for the best kit is welcome.

quote:

EDIT: heres an old pic of my series 3 with a sterling exhaust fitted and no right hand runner board:

Sweet, I love the Trojan Records scheme.

Charlie Bubblegum
Feb 28, 2004

Well the only one that I can find in the US is the one sold by Lambretta Works which is made by API in India, the one I am using is by SIL in India, which I have always assumed is the more popular one, over here in the UK anyway. The API flywheels can't be used with SIL stators and obviously the other way around too, so it would be best to see which is more widely available in your country and go down that route :)

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches
There is a 2009 Ruckus for sale locally. I'm still trying to get my wife into two wheels and I am hoping this is the ticket. Anything to look out for on these?

The owner bought it three months ago, put about 40 miles on it and parked it. Asking $1800.

vvv I've emailed and asked that. Why someone would buy a scooter here in January is beyond me. vvv

Skier fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Apr 13, 2011

CubanRefugee
Jul 1, 2003

El Jefe
Reppin' the Row since '26.

Skier posted:

The owner bought it three months ago, put about 40 miles on it and parked it. Asking $1800.

Any idea why he only drove it for that long? Did he just realize that driving around the Palouse on a scooter wasn't for him?

Ruckus's are awesome from my understanding.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
Unless something terrible happened $1800 sounds like a good deal. I'm no Ruckus expert but there's nothing to watch out for that I know of, other than slowness (probably 43mph stock and it'll take its time to get there).

Purgey
Nov 5, 2008
Going to grab a brand new Blur 220i this weekend! I'm so stoked! :fap:

Together we shall make my commute fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
I'm coming to this thread in hopes that someone can give me an idea as to what to do or to point me to the right direction.

I have a 2007 vino 125 that I am taking out after a long break (been 9 months since my last ride) and it will not stay in idle. I can fire it up and rev the engine all day long but as soon as I close the throttle it dies. I have changed the battery, and spark plug. I drained the gas filled with new gas and also added seafoam to it and it still won't start. I have read extensively on this matter and I feel the issue may be in the carburetor and I'm sure it is all gunked up. Problem is, I have no idea how to get the loving thing out. I bought some carb cleaner in spray form but it still hasn't helped. I feel like my only option is to take it out and have it soak. I however cannot find a single source that can tell me how to get the loving thing out. I am living on a ridiculously tight budget and am afraid to even know how much it would cost to take to a shop.

TLDR: My scoots wont start I feel like I might need to clean the carb how do I remove it?