Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.
Hey Gov't workers, y'all "essential staff" or are you getting a vacation today? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!
Passed the PA bar today. No big deal. Just 3 for 3.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
Anyone else ever had a divorce where you were 100% sure that the opposing party was going to murder your client? Because this is driving me insane(r).

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

HooKars posted:

Hooray :toot: I'll sacrifice a lamb in your honor!

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

HooKars posted:

47 to go!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

CaptainScraps posted:

47 to go!
No, still like 50
DC
Guam
Puerto Rico
CNMI

Also, I think you must have gone to an ABA law school to join the Palau bar, some maybe that too.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

HooKars posted:

told you it was no thing

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
At Dupont Bar if you are not a human being come say hello

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Phil Moscowitz posted:

God drat it I'm in Greenpoint gently caress you

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon
lol irl

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Tried to find you but didn't see anyone that looked like your avatar.

atlas of bugs
Aug 19, 2003

BOOTSTRAPPING
MILLIONAIRE
ONE-PERCENTER

Phil Moscowitz posted:

fukken owned

PIZZA
Jun 22, 2004
Unique snowflake checking in here. I have my undergrad in Music performance and I'm considering going to law school/becoming a lawyer for several reasons.

-Based on the little bit I know about it, I think I'm cut out to practice law

-A couple of years removed from undergrad, I feel freshly capable of the academic challenge of law school

-I'm fed up with music as a career choice because:
-It is too abstract as a way to affect change/do something that feels worthwhile
-I don't care for teaching/wedding gigs/most kinds of stable paid music work
-I've gotten everything I wanted out of the cruise ship racket (travel)
-I don't want to spend my whole life hustling for every lovely scrap of work
-I think I'd do better creative work having it as a hobby rather than a career
-The amount of luck needed to pay the bills doing what I want to do in music is unacceptable

-I don't need to be rich, but I'd like to make enough for my wife to be able to stay home or do low-paying creative work if that's what she chooses

So, where I'm at now is, I have a month to go on what will be my last cruise ship contract, I'm getting married in June, and for the time being I've picked up the logic games bible and one of the actual LSAT practice test books.

I took a practice test under real time controls in a busy Starbucks with music playing, and I ended up with a 158. I was quite pleased with that initial number because I was pretty badly distracted while I was testing, I didn't know much about how the test worked beforehand so it was a very raw assessment, and because most of my missed answers were due to time management issues that I think I'll have no problem working out.

My plan going forward is to try and find a job somewhat related to law when I get home and keep studying for the LSAT. If things are going well and it looks like I'm going to turn out a very high LSAT in October, I'll probably start getting applications ready to send out as soon as my score comes in.

Judging from the numbers I've seen, I really can't tell where I'm going to want to apply, because I'm guessing that the average school that my LSAT will be in line with is going to be way out of my GPA range. I never thought as a music undergrad that I would be interested in such a different direction at some point, and accordingly, I did pretty much the bare minimum in most classes not related to playing music and landed myself with a GPA either very slightly over or under 3.0, I forget which.

One thing that could help mitigate the damage of the poor GPA is that if someone looks closely at my transcript, they'll see a huge improvement after the first couple years and impressive grades in the core classes, but I imagine a lot of places I apply won't look that deep. Another good factor is that I'll have been out of school for almost three years by the time I'm applying, and I've had some interesting work/life experience, traveling all around the world.

Still though, what might I expect my LSAT to be after a few months of study, and how far should that go towards compensating for the GPA?

I should mention that I think I'd like to work for some sort of animal or human rights cause, perhaps as in-house counsel for something along the lines of the ASPCA, but I really don't know my options and holy poo poo the OP is depressing, is it even worth saying I want a specific kind of job?

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Hey about 5 people are about to jump on you accusing you of trolling, that's how much you shouldn't go to law school.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon
1.) Law school is a terrible decision do not go.
2.) You are in a slightly better position than most people because your current career prospects are already terrible so your risk is slightly mitigated.
3.) Your GPA is poo poo. That will be a problem.
4.) Your LSAT, unless it improves drastically, is poo poo. That will be an even bigger problem.
5.) It is possible to turn your poo poo LSAT into a non-poo poo LSAT after months of extremely dedicated work. In 8 months of nearly 40 hour weeks of LSAT prep on top of my other parts of life, I turned a 160 into a 175. My friend who did the same turned his 158 into a 172.

6.) The best case scenario - literally the best possible scenario - is that you improve your LSAT to the point that... wait for it... you are able to attend a school in the bottom of the T-14, which is not a school you should attend.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

PIZZA posted:

I should mention that I think I'd like to work for some sort of animal or human rights cause, perhaps as in-house counsel for something along the lines of the ASPCA, but I really don't know my options and holy poo poo the OP is depressing, is it even worth saying I want a specific kind of job?

According to this article, the ASPCA has ten attorneys who work in-house - they're probably all in NYC and are experienced attorneys doing a lot of contracts work. I have no idea when it's dated, but:

quote:

Q: What does the ASPCA look for when hiring associate counsels?

A: I hired someone three weeks ago to replace me in the counsel role. She's actually someone who worked at three of the largest law firms in the world. She also had done some pro bono work for me in the past. The thing I liked about her was she had a stellar legal resume, but she also had a dog that was a rescue. She is someone who took on pro bono work in the past, not just for my organization but for other organizations. She obviously cares about animals and has a strong legal background. You don't have to have a love of animals to work here, but it really helps.

Not going to happen.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM
Let me look into my crystal ball: You will go to a third tier JD factory, graduate, and be playing music not only to make ends meet due to a saturated legal market causing people to have fistfights over jobs that pay 12 bucks an hour, but because it is now the only thing that fills the hole where your soul used to be. And congrats now you have six figures of debt too!

P.S. you owe me 50 bucks for telling your fortune

Defleshed fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Apr 9, 2011

PIZZA
Jun 22, 2004
Haha fair enough, that's all basically what I expected to hear. I guess it won't hurt me to find out more about the profession and see where I'm accepted. It would be a nice change of pace from what I'm doing now to test the water even if I end up not going in.

I am actually really confident about a big leap in the LSAT - like I said, my initial practice test was a really rough assessment - I imagine I'd already be at least a few points higher if I took another one today just from knowing a bit about the test, not being distracted, and knowing something about how to approach the logic games. I also have plenty of time to study, so I can at least hold out hope for the LSAT I'll need.

Still though, the jobs situation sounds abysmal. Is it really the case that most graduates now find absolutely nothing, or do most people end up with something and it just takes a while? I could deal with a long job search if it meant I only had to do it once, or maybe a handful of times over the course of my life, rather than the musician's permanent miserable job searching way of life.

Thanks for the advice, I'm sure I'll be thanking you all if I decide to stop the insanity before it starts.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

PIZZA posted:

Haha fair enough, that's all basically what I expected to hear. I guess it won't hurt me to find out more about the profession and see where I'm accepted. It would be a nice change of pace from what I'm doing now to test the water even if I end up not going in.

I am actually really confident about a big leap in the LSAT - like I said, my initial practice test was a really rough assessment - I imagine I'd already be at least a few points higher if I took another one today just from knowing a bit about the test, not being distracted, and knowing something about how to approach the logic games. I also have plenty of time to study, so I can at least hold out hope for the LSAT I'll need.

Still though, the jobs situation sounds abysmal. Is it really the case that most graduates now find absolutely nothing, or do most people end up with something and it just takes a while? I could deal with a long job search if it meant I only had to do it once, or maybe a handful of times over the course of my life, rather than the musician's permanent miserable job searching way of life.

Thanks for the advice, I'm sure I'll be thanking you all if I decide to stop the insanity before it starts.

Take it for real, in a quiet location, and then add ten to that score. If said score would get you into HYS, then do it. Otherwise, forget about it.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Defleshed posted:

Let me look into my crystal ball: You will go to a third tier JD factory, graduate, and be playing music on a street corner not only to make ends meet due to a saturated legal market causing people to have fistfights over jobs that pay 12 bucks an hour, but because it is now the only thing that fills the hole where your soul used to be. And congrats now you have six figures of debt too!

Fixed that for you.

BTW to this PIZZA individual: I think you should go for it. You should study just a little bit more (158 in a noisy Starbucks ehh you don't have to study all that hard) and think carefully about places like Southwestern and Chapman, they're always rated high in Princeton Review's "Quality of Life" rankings.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
I guess I should've known a site like this existed, but never bothered looking it up: http://www.lawyerratingz.com/

Unsurprisingly, most reviews [in Ontario] are overwhelmingly negative, especially if it's a family lawyer :allears:

quote:

Claims to be updated with her Masters in parental alienation but forgot what Abusive Men are capable of doing with children. Not having their best interests at all.

quote:

a BIG bully..that is what she is and instead of my ex paying support to his family he pays it to her so that we can suffer. she gets away with being in contempt of court and has no idea half the time what she is even doing. she is a joke.

quote:

own and operate my own Business and would be bankrupt if I handled my clients like [redacted]. Its been almost a year since I have retained his services. This is a joke, 1 time leaving Bradford court house he asked if I was heading back up the highway and if so could I give him a ride, sure. He then gets into my vehicle and says I forgot my wallet and Im a diabetic can you loan me $10.00 so I can eat. I will pay you back,I should have fired him then. I will send a letter to the Law Society as I feel that no-one else should endure the lack of professionalism.

quote:

Terrible. Found that [redacted] was very biased toward women. Could not believe how she would ignore and twist hard numbers, events and facts so they favoured the women. For her 2 + 2 = 5 whenever she is in the mood. Talks a great game but can not analyse or understand the info given to her. Not thorough;making decisions without even asking if she has all the data to justify a decision. Seems to use her emotions to determine what to do.

On a happier note:

quote:

This dude is dynamite. He knows his**** and brings it home. One of my home boys told me use use him and now I tell my buddies to use him.

PYF etc etc

edit:

quote:

If you want a pit-bull who will not hesitate to destroy your ex-spouse, this is your woman. If, however, you would like to maintain a civil and/or reasonable relationship with your ex-mate, run for your life. I was at the other side of the boxing arena when this terrifying little woman made absolutely certain that everyone (particularly our children) would experience maximum pain levels. She has no soul and is the poster-woman for greedy and immoral lawyers. My advice, not that you know me nor care about my opinion, is to go to a good mediator or a lawyer who only works closely with good mediators. Your frustration and anger with your mate will decrease and, hopefully subside. You don't want to annihilate the other parent of your children. Your children will never forgive you. Do the right thing.

CmdrSmirnoff fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 9, 2011

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

PIZZA posted:

-A couple of years removed from undergrad, I feel freshly capable of the academic challenge of law school

-It is too abstract as a way to affect change/do something that feels worthwhile
-The amount of luck needed to pay the bills doing what I want to do in music is unacceptable

-I don't need to be rich, but I'd like to make enough for my wife to be able to stay home or do low-paying creative work if that's what she chooses
Based on the stuff you listed, why not go for an engineering (or engineering-ish) degree instead? It allows you to do something worthwhile, it's stable with a generally good job market, the pay is good, and it'd probably cost way less than a JD.

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

PIZZA posted:

Is it really the case that most graduates now find absolutely nothing, or do most people end up with something and it just takes a while?

This is really dependent on what school you go to. If you can get into a top 10 school then no, most grads will find something. But once you hit "decent" schools (I'm in Philly and Temple comes to mind) - none of those kids have jobs lined up and most of them will never be attorneys.

Naming a specific job is stupid. You're not going to go straight in-house after law school. Big companies don't have legal training for junior associates the way that a law firm does. Neither do non-profits. Because of this, you almost always start at a law firm and then after 4 - 5 years at a law firm, you move in house because you now have the training they couldn't provide you. You might get lucky and have someone take a chance on you, but that would be pure luck. You may be able to do some kind of human rights pro bono work on top of your regular work (during time that otherwise would have your free time with your wife) at a law firm though.

Also, picking your job is not easy. Unlike someone going to med school, you don't have total control of your career. Case in point: I went to a top 10 school, was on law review, summered for a firm, spent half the summer in their litigation department, got an offer, accepted the offer, checked off the "I would like to do litigation" option and was then told I would be in the "Bank Lending" department one week before my work started... which is a completely different from what I wanted to do. And I didn't have anything super specific in mind. "Litigation" is pretty drat broad. I have still not managed to redirect my career towards litigation.

This was my day yesterday: Spend 9 - 7:30 pm at the office, did 1 hour of work but I had to stay til 7:30 because that's when the partner went home and as a junior associate, I'm supposed to be there while she is there. It was a Friday so that was really early for her. At 6:30 pm, our client sent us 250 pages worth of documents. They would like me to review those documents by Monday morning. So I did nothing at the office all day, but still spent 10 and a half hours there, and promptly had to cancel all my weekend plans. Those 10 and a half hours that I spent at the office don't even count towards any bonus or anything because I didn't have work for a specific client during that time.

There are much better careers with better job prospects, will land you with less debt, not take up all of your free time, and still pay well.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

PIZZA posted:

Unique snowflake checking in here. I have my undergrad in Music performance and I'm considering going to law school/becoming a lawyer for several reasons.

-Based on the little bit I know about it, I think I'm cut out to practice law

So, where I'm at now is, I have a month to go on what will be my last cruise ship contract, I'm getting married in June, and for the time being I've picked up the logic games bible and one of the actual LSAT practice test books.

I took a practice test under real time controls in a busy Starbucks with music playing, and I ended up with a 158. I was quite pleased with that initial number because I was pretty badly distracted while I was testing, I didn't know much about how the test worked beforehand so it was a very raw assessment, and because most of my missed answers were due to time management issues that I think I'll have no problem working out.

My plan going forward is to try and find a job somewhat related to law when I get home and keep studying for the LSAT. If things are going well and it looks like I'm going to turn out a very high LSAT in October, I'll probably start getting applications ready to send out as soon as my score comes in.

Judging from the numbers I've seen, I really can't tell where I'm going to want to apply, because I'm guessing that the average school that my LSAT will be in line with is going to be way out of my GPA range. I never thought as a music undergrad that I would be interested in such a different direction at some point, and accordingly, I did pretty much the bare minimum in most classes not related to playing music and landed myself with a GPA either very slightly over or under 3.0, I forget which.

One thing that could help mitigate the damage of the poor GPA is that if someone looks closely at my transcript, they'll see a huge improvement after the first couple years and impressive grades in the core classes, but I imagine a lot of places I apply won't look that deep. Another good factor is that I'll have been out of school for almost three years by the time I'm applying, and I've had some interesting work/life experience, traveling all around the world.

Still though, what might I expect my LSAT to be after a few months of study, and how far should that go towards compensating for the GPA?

Here is my suggestion: gently caress you

atlas of bugs
Aug 19, 2003

BOOTSTRAPPING
MILLIONAIRE
ONE-PERCENTER

sigmachiev posted:

Fixed that for you.

BTW to this PIZZA individual: I think you should go for it. You should study just a little bit more (158 in a noisy Starbucks ehh you don't have to study all that hard) and think carefully about places like Southwestern and Chapman, they're always rated high in Princeton Review's "Quality of Life" rankings.

American is ranked #2 in International Law, higher than both Yale+Harvard

Tulane is #1 overall for Admiralty Law.

In a world of international trade and complex legal issues, having a specialization in either of these two fields could be the difference between a lovely 40k a year job and rewarding, comfortably paid work.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

Soothing Vapors posted:

Here is my suggestion: gently caress you

hey i saw in another thread you're looking to buy a house in my city. this is awesome. i know you said you're working for a firm and i'd like to know which one! i'll be working there too if things go good.

email me at SAFecesStarship at the g-mailz please so we can get in touch and lemme know when you do (it's a trash account)

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004

PIZZA posted:

just to point out how bad of a decision this is, someone applied to Harvard with a Music degree, a 180 LSAT and a 4.0, and he was rejected. He claimed the only reason was that they must have not liked his major, but who knows, maybe he was bullshitting and had a black mark on his resume. still, your music-oriented resume and sudden career shift is probably going to seem a bit odd to admissions committees also, and you're almost certainly not going to have a 180 on the LSAT.

anyway, just a bit of a confidence inspiring story for you with regard to the field of law

as for no jobs or long search, no, it's mostly no jobs. if you don't get hired out of law school you become part of the lost generation, the umemployed part of your graduating class. employers will just ignore you in favor of more qualified individuals from next year's graduating class.

topheryan fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Apr 9, 2011

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

atlas of bugs posted:

American is ranked #2 in International Law, higher than both Yale+Harvard

Tulane is #1 overall for Admiralty Law.

In a world of international trade and complex legal issues, having a specialization in either of these two fields could be the difference between a lovely 40k a year job and rewarding, comfortably paid work.

Admiralty is actually some cool poo poo and I wish I had learned it.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Feces Starship posted:

2.) You are in a slightly better position than most people because your current career prospects are already terrible so your risk is slightly mitigated.
4.) Your LSAT, unless it improves drastically, is poo poo. That will be an even bigger problem.
5.) It is possible to turn your poo poo LSAT into a non-poo poo LSAT after months of extremely dedicated work. In 8 months of nearly 40 hour weeks of LSAT prep on top of my other parts of life, I turned a 160 into a 175. My friend who did the same turned his 158 into a 172.

6.) The best case scenario - literally the best possible scenario - is that you improve your LSAT to the point that... wait for it... you are able to attend a school in the bottom of the T-14, which is not a school you should attend.
Wait, wait, wait, he didn't say if he was like half black half native American or something. Which with a 175 and a 3.0 might do better.
If a white dude, do something else.

hypocrite lecteur
Aug 21, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Feces Starship posted:

laffin at 8 months on the LSAT. what the hell

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

CaptainScraps posted:

Admiralty is actually some cool poo poo and I wish I had learned it.

Submarine chasers.

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

Feces Starship posted:

drat, there's some real honesty.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Alaemon posted:

Submarine chasers.

Much more noble to ensure six months incarceration for crackheads

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Only the dead have seen the end of war
If I have zero interest in working for a firm and all I want to do is work for the government after graduation, should I bother doing EIP? I know I'd be miserable at a firm but all the talk about getting good training from a firm and moving on to something else after a few years is making my resolve waver. I'm going to have about $60k in Stafford loans after I graduate and I really don't have any need to make a lot or even a decent amount of money. My grades for the first semester of 1L were at about the 50th percentile at Columbia.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Holland Oats posted:

If I have zero interest in working for a firm and all I want to do is work for the government after graduation, should I bother doing EIP? I know I'd be miserable at a firm but all the talk about getting good training from a firm and moving on to something else after a few years is making my resolve waver. I'm going to have about $60k in Stafford loans after I graduate and I really don't have any need to make a lot or even a decent amount of money. My grades for the first semester of 1L were at about the 50th percentile at Columbia.

It's worth doing because there is no downside. You will get a lot of experience at interviews and maybe a couple of job offers. That is better than not getting experience interviewing and not getting job offers.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

hypocrite lecteur posted:

laffin at 8 months on the LSAT. what the hell

yep

im p dumb to be honest but i'm a great standardized test taker so i wanted to be sure it worked

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Holland Oats posted:

Also getting a firm job is easier than getting a government job (out of Columbia). So you might want to have a firm fallback option.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Much more noble to ensure six months incarceration for crackheads

(It's a quote from Arrested Development)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Feces Starship posted:

yep

im p dumb to be honest but i'm a great standardized test taker so i wanted to be sure it worked

The PowerScore Logic Games bible was basically my constant companion for several months when I brought my August diagnostic of 158 to a February LSAT of 173.

The LSAT is an incredibly learnable test - unless you are completely incapable of reading comprehension. In which case a) I don't think there are any books to help you beat the test and b) a job centered around comprehending what you read might not be the best career option anyway.