Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
I knew it would never be like the concept, but it just looks like they put wheel arches and some new lights on the 2011.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Readheaded
Dec 22, 2004
Tish and piffle, I cannot conceive how that car with the performance of a car twice its price hasn't even got a teak glovebox or swan skin seatbelts. Inferior rubbish from the colonies, m

zakiu posted:

It's not just the new BMWs that look bulbous and bloated. Look at everything on the market. They're all getting fat and bloated.

Suits Americans perfectly!

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Crustashio posted:

I knew it would never be like the concept, but it just looks like they put wheel arches and some new lights on the 2011.

I think it looks like they shrunk down a Legacy.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
It looks like a Cobalt.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Muffinpox posted:

It looks like a Cobalt.

Nah, more like a Cruze.

I think I preferred Subarus when they were ugly instead of boring. Also, insert obligatory blaming of Toyota here.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Well this time they didn't make it any more ugly, just more boring. Are they going to do a hatch?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

I suppose it looks less awkward than the old sedan. There is a better transition to the trunk area. And at least they kept the cowl height relatively low for a modern car. Hopefully the hatch doesn't look like a Kia Rio this time around.

Eh, I will settle for boring. Slap some box flares on there and i suppose it'll work. But I do wonder how much weight/length has been gained this time around.

Seriously, though, what is the name for those ugly flattened wheel arch flare things that every designer is putting on "sporty" cars now? In this case, they're even on the concept itself. Is there a reason they are popular now? Somethign to do with computer aided design? Ease of production or tooling? Do people really think that they look better than real rounded wheel arches?

compare to old one:

And concept:

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Apr 14, 2011

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Cream_Filling posted:

I read this post when there was only this picture, and from the bottom of the page. Sat here for a good minute or so trying to figure out what the hell it is, and I'm usually alright at identifying (modern) cars. It really does look like $SMALL_JAPANESE_SEDAN. I guess that's what Subaru wants.

redgubbinz fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Apr 14, 2011

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Cream_Filling posted:

I immediately thought

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

dissss posted:

I immediately thought

Ha, holy poo poo that is uncanny, especially if you mentally add US-spec bumpers to the back of the Impreza concept. Only real difference is a bigger rear fender crease on the Subaru and a slightly flatter beltline requiring a little bangle butt to link up to the trunk. Even the wheels look like the ones that came on the old mazdaspeed 6.

Oh well, i suppose you could do worse than copy the mazda 3 (sans grin). Hell, I think the slightly straighter greenhouse actually looks better, though the stupid fenders are a little worse.

Still, really good catch, there. Someone make a properly scaled side-by-side comparison or overlay.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Apr 14, 2011

69sofine
Jan 30, 2007
Im a hott horny asain.

awesome-express posted:

More news!

2012 Impreza

:ughh:

Dear Subaru,

Please go back to making ugly cars. We will love them once the next model comes out.

Love,

69sofine

korea
Mar 22, 2011

by Fistgrrl

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Is the rear of an E39 M5 really that distinct? That rear straight-on view is one of the least differentiable viewing angles of a car, so it makes sense that it's tough to tell a priori what brand a car is.

yes:

• dual exhausts
  • on pre-facelift cars (pre-00 i belive), the dent strip didn't go all the way around the bumper, so you had little eyebrows under the taillights, although from looking around on google it seems that they never got rid of the dent strips. maybe someone else can explain
  • special m5 bumper

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Around here a good percentage of E39 have the M5 style rear bumper regardless of model

Still a really generic looking sedan from that angle even with the kit - could have come from pretty much any manufacturer during the 90s

korea
Mar 22, 2011

by Fistgrrl

dissss posted:

Still a really generic looking sedan from that angle even with the kit - could have come from pretty much any manufacturer during the 90s

this is pretty unfair. the tail lights (usually the most distinguishing feature of a car's rear) are extremely similar to the e36/38/46/ lights, so it's pretty hard to say it's generic looking.

of course, maybe people who can't recognize tail lights have a different opinion.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Let's polish a turd. In fact, let's just laser etch gold foil onto it.
http://www.allpar.com/cars/concepts/dodge/avenger-rally.html
Honestly, I'm not mad. They don't have a lot to work with in the lineup, so it doesn't seem worse than any other, as far as making a bit of buzz.

Perhaps the most flattering comment is from Ralph Gilles:
"it's obviously the fastest Avenger I've ever driven."

I love the fact that it's using an Evo wing. The old Mitsubishi global platform gives one last gasp from the grave, I guess.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

kimbo305 posted:

Honestly, I'm not mad. They don't have a lot to work with in the lineup, so it doesn't seem worse than any other, as far as making a bit of buzz.

I love the fact that it's using an Evo wing. The old Mitsubishi global platform gives one last gasp from the grave, I guess.

Eh, the Avenger never really looked as bad as the Sebring, and with the new Fiat interior and 3.6l it's a pretty respectable offering.

I'm such a Chrysler apologist, I convinced my parents to spring for a Dodge Journey instead of the Subaru Outback they were previously eyeing - the Chinese model is the old pre-bankrupcy interior and only comes with the 2.7l engine, for RMB272,000, or $41,000 USD. :negative:

We've had it for one day and the nav unit has already died. Got it replaced when we went back to the dealer to finalize the paperwork. :911::hf::mexico:

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Throatwarbler posted:

I'm such a Chrysler apologist, I convinced my parents to spring for a Dodge Journey instead of the Subaru Outback they were previously eyeing - the Chinese model is the old pre-bankrupcy interior and only comes with the 2.7l engine, for RMB272,000, or $41,000 USD. :negative:

We've had it for one day and the nav unit has already died. Got it replaced when we went back to the dealer to finalize the paperwork. :911::hf::mexico:

If I was your father I'd beat you with a sack of oranges.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

awesome-express posted:

More news!

2012 Impreza

Concept

:ughh:

This looks like a goddamned Ford Focus.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

anonumos posted:

This looks like a goddamned Ford Focus.
Maybe they got sick of losing to them in WRC:smug:

Seriously, I'm cool with a boring-looking car. The front end, in particular, is still less bulbous and nasty than many of its competitors and looks a little more proportional than the previous model(though it looks a little like the new taurus with funny headlights). It looks like a Mazda 3 with a little Ford in it, but so what? I'm ok with copying two of some of the better styled small cars on the market right now. The classic Imprezas were all pretty boring looking soapbar cars hotted up with hood scoops, vents, wings, and box flares. I'll wait for the STI version.

Also, an example of Chrysler not loving up:
Grand Cherokee will get euro-spec 3.0 L Diesel by 2013. Output rated at 237 hp and 406 lb-ft.
Availability in Wrangler as ye tunknown

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/04/14/jeep-grand-cherokee-to-get-3-0l-diesel-v6-in-north-america-by-20/

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

is that spray-on dirt?
They should have used more cans to hide the awful.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

They did go out and hoon it, but leaving the dirt is such a desperate appeal to authority.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

kimbo305 posted:

They did go out and hoon it, but leaving the dirt is such a desperate appeal to authority.

At least when Hyundai made a fake rally car, they bothered to give it a bespoke AWD system and got engine output to 500hp.

This? FWD, slightly better than stock hp going through the stock autostick. Laame.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Cream_Filling posted:

This? FWD, slightly better than stock hp going through the stock autostick. Laame.

I'm sure they could have done more work than slap parts and a paint job if they'd had more than 3 weeks. I'm not excusing it; I'm just saying we'd be equally displeased with a Jeep Compass or Chrysler 200 rally car.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Cream_Filling posted:

At least when Hyundai made a fake rally car, they bothered to give it a bespoke AWD system and got engine output to 500hp.

Except that Hyundai's rally car isn't fake

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

redscare posted:

Except that Hyundai's rally car isn't fake

How many years did it compete? I honestly don't know, my only exposure to it was GT4.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Skyssx posted:

How many years did it compete? I honestly don't know, my only exposure to it was GT4.

I was talking about the Veloster rally car, which yes isn't actually a fake rally car. It was prepared by Rhys Millen Racing, and I believe it's going to debut tomorrow at the Global Rallycross in Washington State. In addition to the US Rallycross championship, they're goign to do the X-Games, Pikes Peak again and also some sort of drifting whatever, too.

So yes, I was being a dick. My bad.

Personally, I'm not a fan of Hyundai's overcomplicated designs, but the basic shape of the Veloster is not bad and its specs look pretty drat good. I'm hoping for a Kia version, although lately I worry that Kia's streak of design excellence is going to peter out. I vaguely remember some interview mentioning management displeasure that Shreyer's designs aren't "distinctively korean" enough or something.

I know that they in the past used to run some Tiburon rally cars and before that the Accent Rally car was in WRC for like three years before they ran out of money and left.

While I'm at it, the one positive thing about the Avenger rally concept is that some of those parts might possibly trickle down to the aftermarket through Mopar, particularly the suspension or the paddle shifters... Possibly.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Apr 15, 2011

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery
You know how the new Jetta is poo poo? That's because they spent all their time on the new Beetle.

Will have the typical VW I5, TDI, and 2.0 FSI engine options. I'm amazed they pulled this off considering what they could have done and how the new Jetta and Passat turned out. The flatter roofline is more like the original and makes it look a little Porsche-y.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yeah, rake the windshield a bit more and it's a front-wheel-drive 911.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

hedge posted:

Will have the typical VW I5, TDI, and 2.0 FSI engine options.

What, no 2.0l 8v?

You know, if you really want to go retro.....

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

I dig it. And supposedly an R version is also in the works and confirmed for the U.S.

(this is not the R version, obviously)

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

DropShadow posted:

I dig it. And supposedly an R version is also in the works and confirmed for the U.S.

(this is not the R version, obviously)

That I like.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Wow I'm really surprised. The new beetle is nice looking from those angles. More retro than the prior new beetle but not slavishly so.

Dear Ferdinand Piech

Please stick the Audi RS4 drivetrain in an R version of this. I would be ever so grateful.

Yuns

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

hedge posted:

You know how the new Jetta is poo poo? That's because they spent all their time on the new Beetle.

Will have the typical VW I5, TDI, and 2.0 FSI engine options. I'm amazed they pulled this off considering what they could have done and how the new Jetta and Passat turned out. The flatter roofline is more like the original and makes it look a little Porsche-y.

It looks like a non-infringing ripoff of the 911, or is it the other way around?

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
I'm getting a definite PT-cruiser vibe off that car. Any idea on the price point?

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl
They should just say "gently caress it", go the whole hog and put a small engine right at the back. I'm really not a fan of the current Beetle but the new one looks pretty drat good.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

law abiding rapist posted:

It looks like a non-infringing ripoff of the 911, or is it the other way around?

I'm not sure how they could infringe on a sister company's designs.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
wonder if the R will be AWD

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene
I hate everything the modern Beetle stands for in the same irrational way Clarkson deals with Prisus.

But with those Audi esque silver rims and the car in black, that'd be a pretty ride.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

travisray2004 posted:

wonder if the R will be AWD

Audi TT?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]
The today show had the 2012 impreza, the beetle, fiat, and a couple other cars on their show this morning. The impreza starts at around 1:30 with the beetle after

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/26184891/vp/42660232#42660232

I like the 2012 impreza front end quite a bit.