Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

If you're riding a bike like THAT in a "spirited manner quickly through the corners" on the street you're pretty much riding unsafely and illegally. I see no reason to chastise people for riding safely and legally. On the other hand that bike in particular was obviously barely ridden at all anywhere in any manner. That is kinda sad. Not unusual with Ducatis, though, from what I've seen on craigslist.

It's because they're hellaciously uncomfortable until you hang off one right, and tip it into a corner at speed. Then they make sense.

The rest of the time they're like eating at a table for midgets while sitting on a bar stool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Buttered
Apr 27, 2008

...check it and see!

Z3n posted:

It's because they're hellaciously uncomfortable until you hang off one right, and tip it into a corner at speed. Then they make sense.

The rest of the time they're like eating at a table for midgets while sitting on a bar stool.

I can attest to this and I don't even have a superbike, just the SS. The ergos just don't make any sense. It's so uncomfortable that it legitimately makes me a worse rider. A few days ago, I pulled my KTM out of the garage for the first time in 6 months to get it ready to sell. One checkout ride on it, and I made up my mind to sell the Ducati instead.

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
Clip-ons just don't make sense on the street.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Phat_Albert posted:

I actually think "no chicken strips" has become the new poser sign.
I agree. Everyone I work with either races WERA or does track days, except for 1 person. This person is the kind who rides in jeans in the mountains and hangs off with a knee out. Basically, guy who thinks he's fast and tries to go fast on public roads but in actuality knows nothing. Don't get me wrong, I'm slow as molasses on the track and don't claim to know much, but I know the time and place for aggressive riding. I classify his type of behavior as squid behavior.

Anyways, I had just came back from a day at Roebling and was in back putting my street tires back onto my rims. As I was pulling my track tires (Q2's) off, he comes up to me and says "Huh. I'm surprised you weren't pushing those harder. My [pilot] powers are ran all the way to the edge".

Now, note that the Q2's are like many tires and fold in on themselves at high lean angle, so there is always a few mm of unused tire that is folded up. Like so:

I explained this to him and he responded by saying "Yeah, well the michelin man is wearing off on the side of my Powers :smug:".

I can spend a day in the mountains and have fun without pushing my tires anywhere near the directional arrow/michelin man. People with the attitude that "you aren't going fast unless you're using all of the tire" really frustrate me because they're the kind of people who go flying off the side of a mountain and who I have to watch die while I wait for help to arrive. Sorry, I just saw that one too many times last year so that kind of stuff strikes a nerve with me.

Z3n posted:

I'd really like to try riding a Duc one day. Even with aftermarket clipons the riding position on the R6 doesn't feel aggressive enough to me. I think a lot of that would be solved with rearsets, but I'd still like to sit on a Duc because I always hear how they're so uncomfortable. Might be what I'm looking for?

Also, since we're on the topic of chickenstrips, go go gadget Metzeler M5!

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

CSi-NA-EJ7 posted:

Clip-ons just don't make sense on the street.

They don't? Granted I've never ridden a sport-style bike with more upright handlebars like an FZ6, ZZR, etc. but I despise the upright position of a dual sport or sumo on the highway, and much prefer clipons and an agressive body position at speed. Especially with a tank bag, I can just cruise and practically lay down on the tank. The wind supports me, and makes it really comfortable.

In town there's no way in hell I'd ever want anything but an upright position though. Sumo all the way for town riding.

I may have a different opinion on an upright position if I had decent wind protection, though.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
I wonder if cops judge how unsafe the bikers are that they pull over based on their chicken strips or lack thereof.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

hayden. posted:

I wonder if cops judge how unsafe the bikers are that they pull over based on their chicken strips or lack thereof.

I would highly doubt it, more like the gear worn and condition of it decides that.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Low speed maneuvers are the only time I really find clip-ons awkward. I think the newer Duc superbikes are a bit less strange than the older ones were, but they are still kind of extreme compared to most bikes. Forget about turning the bars too much as well unless you want to bash your hand into the fairings.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

I would highly doubt it, more like the gear worn and condition of it decides that.

I wear full racing leathers that are...let's just say, extremely battle-scarred, and cops always seem to love them. I've never gotten a ticket in my entire life but have been pulled over a few times, and I always get a comment like "Well, you're wearing the right gear..."

Maybe it helps that I've never seen anybody else wear leathers on the street around here, so I'm an unknown quantity to them.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

I wear full racing leathers that are...let's just say, extremely battle-scarred, and cops always seem to love them. I've never gotten a ticket in my entire life but have been pulled over a few times, and I always get a comment like "Well, you're wearing the right gear..."

Maybe it helps that I've never seen anybody else wear leathers on the street around here, so I'm an unknown quantity to them.
That's how it is here too.

I've yet to be pulled over in my 1pc, but every other time I have been pulled over for RIDING LIKE A DONG I've been wearing my old-school Fieldsheer leather jacket from the 90's that is rashed all over, my Joe Rocket pants with rash, and all the rest of the poo poo. So far ticket-less and I always get comments about the gear and let off with a warning also.

Also, another thing is actually have your paperwork in order... let alone having complete paperwork, that always throws them for a loop too.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

BlackMK4 posted:

That's how it is here too.

I've yet to be pulled over in my 1pc, but every other time I have been pulled over for RIDING LIKE A DONG I've been wearing my old-school Fieldsheer leather jacket from the 90's that is rashed all over, my Joe Rocket pants with rash, and all the rest of the poo poo. So far ticket-less and I always get comments about the gear and let off with a warning also.

Also, another thing is actually have your paperwork in order... let alone having complete paperwork, that always throws them for a loop too.

You have a license!? :psyduck:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

lancemantis posted:

You have a license!? :psyduck:
:lol:
You have insurance?!?!?

A Duck!
Apr 22, 2003

My 998 was one of the most uncomfortable bikes I've ever owned. My Monster is pretty nice, people keep telling me to put clip ons on it but I think I'll keep the bars. Maybe just turn them. I use it way too much for commuting/city stuff.

The newer Ducatis are much more comfortable. The 848 is really comfortable, the Streetfighter isn't bad. I've never hopped on a Hyper.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

-Inu- posted:

Now, note that the Q2's are like many tires and fold in on themselves at high lean angle, so there is always a few mm of unused tire that is folded up. Like so:

Go faster and get on the gas at deeper levels of lean and you'll start using that last part of the tire. The sidewall does fold over, but if you're kicked over far enough, you'll smear the entire thing into the ground when you're on the throttle and get rid of that last little bit of chicken strip.

I've always torched rears to the edge because I'm a slow in/fast out type of rider, so I'm on the gas hard and early. I've seen other riders who ride the front a lot harder and they have a tendency to torch the front to the edges and not use the rear as much.

hayden. posted:

Absolutely. Right before she got Tboned, I swapped one of my spare tires with a race tire on to the wife's SV. The cops were really, really weirded out by it and I could tell that they were prepared to claim she was speeding (they asked me about it) until I explained that it was a tire off of my trackbike because she had worn the rear on her other rim flat. Of course, the tire was totally roasted, so it was pretty dramatic, but a good cop will definitely notice those things. And the rim was a different color, so that helped validate my story. But they were definitely wondering what was going on with the rear tire.

Hot Buttered posted:

I can attest to this and I don't even have a superbike, just the SS. The ergos just don't make any sense. It's so uncomfortable that it legitimately makes me a worse rider. A few days ago, I pulled my KTM out of the garage for the first time in 6 months to get it ready to sell. One checkout ride on it, and I made up my mind to sell the Ducati instead.

Yeah, clipons are great as long as you don't have context for how good a standard can be.

I've gotten tickets in all forms of gear, from toasted leathers to jacket and jeans. Just depends on the cop. I have definitely gotten out of some for being in full gear and having my paperwork in order.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Cruisin' through Sonora on my red Bultaco
With the flora and the fauna just like Old Morocco
The girls would turn the color of the avocado
When I hunted desert squirrels for my enchilados
Subsequently
Pablo Picasso was never called an rear end in a top hat...

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Z3n posted:

Go faster and get on the gas at deeper levels of lean and you'll start using that last part of the tire. The sidewall does fold over, but if you're kicked over far enough, you'll smear the entire thing into the ground when you're on the throttle and get rid of that last little bit of chicken strip.

I've always torched rears to the edge because I'm a slow in/fast out type of rider, so I'm on the gas hard and early. I've seen other riders who ride the front a lot harder and they have a tendency to torch the front to the edges and not use the rear as much.
Yeah, I've just been a bit more hesitant to get on the gas early after what happened to me at Tally. With more track time I think I'll get comfortable getting on the gas early again, though. I'm like you and prefer that style of slow in/fast out riding.

Content - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aArSYmg0tJE Pretty nice laptimes on that lawnmower.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Marv Hushman posted:

In my head, this is a 70's comic, and the guy on the front is the super hero 'American Rifle-Man'. He battles 'The Red Menace' and 'El Inmigrante' for freed'm and 'jerbs.

Forty Two
Jun 8, 2007

ReelBigLizard posted:

In my head, this is a 70's comic, and the guy on the front is the super hero 'American Rifle-Man'. He battles 'The Red Menace' and 'El Inmigrante' for freed'm and 'jerbs.

Wait... so if it isn't a comic what is it?? Or has someone just photoshopped it from a recent photo?

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

ReelBigLizard posted:

I believe the next panel of the comic shows the unsecured holster tie-down being sucked into the wheel Isadora Duncan style, whereupon our hero is dismembered by his own weapon and dragged to the bottom of a canyon. The Soviets win this round, but you can be sure MotoMan will be back in Issue #118.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Forty Two posted:

Wait... so if it isn't a comic what is it?? Or has someone just photoshopped it from a recent photo?

Actual cover of American Rifleman, 12/1969.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

With all due respect, that dude is amazing. I can tell from the look on his face that he's headed right towards a big canvas tent full of tacos and blowjobs, where he'll sit back and crack open a cold Coors 16-ouncer.

I would kill a brown child to hang out with that dude.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

SlightlyMadman posted:

With all due respect, that dude is amazing.

He is amazing! I don't know how he took wardrobe and accessory ideas from every single member of the Village People and merged them into a single outfit--before the group even existed.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Marv Hushman posted:

He is amazing! I don't know how he took wardrobe and accessory ideas from every single member of the Village People and merged them into a single outfit--before the group even existed.

Don't you see? The Village People were created from him in a freak laser accident at a New Mexico prism factory.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Marv Hushman posted:

Cruisin' through Sonora on my red Bultaco
With the flora and the fauna just like Old Morocco
The girls would turn the color of the avocado
When I hunted desert squirrels for my enchilados
Subsequently
Pablo Picasso was never called an rear end in a top hat...

Just sung this in my head as a surfy punk song. Works.

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

Ola posted:

For reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kc2iLAubras

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I cherish the innocent moment before I realized it was probably a real song. I like the song, but I think Marv's lyrics have some more desert trippy Hunter S. Thompson poo poo going on.

We should start a CA band. Psych-folk with drum machines doing a Krautrock beat. Trippy lyrics about eating chicken strips at 12 o'clock and not looking where you don't want to do.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Ola posted:

An American Rifleman's life is always intense.

I had the Burning Sensations/Repo Man version in mind, but the original's cool too. Which is appropriate, given Madman's exclusive investigative report concerning the DOE/Los Alamos origins of disco in general and the Village People in particular.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sl8sWnUZVL4

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Ola posted:

I cherish the innocent moment before I realized it was probably a real song. I like the song, but I think Marv's lyrics have some more desert trippy Hunter S. Thompson poo poo going on.

We should start a CA band. Psych-folk with drum machines doing a Krautrock beat. Trippy lyrics about eating chicken strips at 12 o'clock and not looking where you don't want to do.

And of course, listening to it without earplugs would cause severe damage to your hearing and/or sanity.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Post your riding songs with pretentious descriptions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AwyMpjsU34

Straight through Germany, dragging a shockwave I can't hear myself. Wind beats me calm, Earth spinning towards and under me. Alps rising on the horizon. Never stop.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCdQhhaP_ms

The calm before the storm, the subtle anticipation of springing into action. The flex of a boot, the click of the shifter, the slacking of the brakes. Launch, tire spraying a haze of rubber and dust, pausing the world for a moment.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3eFQtH-hdk

I pull back the chains, put away the locks and keys, finger the ignition like my high-school girlfriend. Slowly and deliberately, I roll into the seething mass of soccer moms and truck drivers. My tiny silhouette barely registers in their complacent brains, but it doesn't matter ... I'll be long gone by the time they notice me.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Think we're onto something good here.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Ola posted:

Think we're onto something good here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkJFodl9I1U

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

poo poo just got real.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
Waiting here in the wings
For the first robin of spring
Hallucinations of Beemers
Hanging from ceilings
Motorcycle acrobats for no apparent reason
European backroads and obvious green screens
My nightmare has a name
Fly
Robin
Fly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RM72iWami9M

Marv Hushman fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Apr 8, 2011

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrh5kaWfyMQ

Riding on the ring road of a big city at 2 am with no traffic, amber street lights blurring occasionally broken up by tunnels.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Cycle Asylum: Bieks? No. Poetry and songs in our pictures and videos thread!

NoDoorway
Jul 31, 2007

I never had a doorway
Soiled Meat
http://youtu.be/v9lkrPrFAy0

Just gonna paraphrase Mr Williams as he does it so much better than I.

Creeping through the streets over programmed beats
A rabid dog in heat
Canvas gray concrete
Custom made unique

and when my fears arise I blow them out

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Only giving into the songs because I can put a video with it...you poetry music nerds.

for the love of god mute the bike side: http://youtubedoubler.com/9BIJ

Edit: apparently youtubedoubler hyperlinks only last a few hours.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Apr 10, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
^ Genius all. I believe we're spontaneously assembling Cycle Asylum Sonatas, Vol 1: The Remember Los Alamos Mix

Content - '63 Junak from Poland. I'm sure its faults are many, but none of them can possibly offset its cold war utilitarian awesomeness.