Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

NeonTurtle posted:

So the rumors of an expanded scene where Bib Fortuna goes home to find Wookies dancing in his parlor are true?
Yes, and then they get mad at him for not role-playing properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Ben Stiller to Play Bumbling Guard in "Night in the Jedi Library", BluRay Home Release in July

NeonTurtle
Sep 24, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT SUPPORTING GENOCIDE
You know, now that I think about it, only Tal'dira was programmed with a trigger phrase that had a recognizable variable. "Wedge Antilles hops on one transparisteel leg" obviously has "Wedge Antilles" as the variable. So replacing "Wedge Antilles" with, say, "Corran Horn" would have changed the target. So, does that mean that "Ewoks" were code for Coruscant? Or that "Wookies" was code for Admiral Akbar? Those seem a bit off the mark for a variable phrase. I could understand if it was "Those Mon Calamari are dancing in the parlor again," because then it could be taken to read "Assassinate the highest ranking Mon Calamari you can get at." I can't help but wonder if the other two trigger phrases were hard-coded for a single target, and did not have a variable.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

NeonTurtle posted:

So the rumors of an expanded scene where Bib Fortuna goes home to find Wookies dancing in his parlor are true?

It's long been debated whether or not it was actually filmed, but I believe an adaptation of the scene does appear in one of the really obscure old 80s novels, The Rise of the Dark Falls.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

NeonTurtle posted:

You know, now that I think about it, only Tal'dira was programmed with a trigger phrase that had a recognizable variable. "Wedge Antilles hops on one transparisteel leg" obviously has "Wedge Antilles" as the variable. So replacing "Wedge Antilles" with, say, "Corran Horn" would have changed the target. So, does that mean that "Ewoks" were code for Coruscant? Or that "Wookies" was code for Admiral Akbar? Those seem a bit off the mark for a variable phrase. I could understand if it was "Those Mon Calamari are dancing in the parlor again," because then it could be taken to read "Assassinate the highest ranking Mon Calamari you can get at." I can't help but wonder if the other two trigger phrases were hard-coded for a single target, and did not have a variable.

I think the other two were just "programmed" to do one specific thing with no variable needed. Two agents were used in that attack, one for Han and one for Wedge, so possibly the handler was supposed to just assign them targets that way.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Some sad news:

http://www.michaelastackpole.com/?p=2327

I have to say that I actually don't own all of them, although I see them all the time at local used booksales, so next time around I think I will definitely be sure to pick up the ones I don't yet have while I still can.

Actually, if I'm not mistaken, are these the first Star Wars books to go out of print? I mean, I know some of the 90s comics are out of print (although even those I think were all re-released as omnibuses eventually), but I don't think I've ever heard of any of the books doing so.

Chairman Capone fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Apr 8, 2011

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Chairman Capone posted:

Actually, if I'm not mistaken, are these the first Star Wars books to go out of print? I mean, I know some of the 90s comics are out of print (although even those I think were all re-released as omnibuses eventually), but I don't think I've ever heard of any of the books doing so.
Pretty sure Splinter of the Mind's Eye was allowed to go out of print until they reprinted it in '99.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Chairman Capone posted:

Some sad news:

http://www.michaelastackpole.com/?p=2327

I have to say that I actually don't own all of them, although I see them all the time at local used booksales, so next time around I think I will definitely be sure to pick up the ones I don't yet have while I still can.

Dammit. I need to hunt down replacements for some of my old battered copies then.

I really wish I could find those older books as ebooks, but if the old bantam books novels can be found anywhere in that form, well uh...I haven't seen it.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Sucks that they're out of print but I find Stackpole's histrionics and self-congratulation more than a little amusing.

Corran Horn, I mean, Mike Stackpole posted:

When folks only look at the numbers, when they only see people as vehicles for transporting credit cards to stores, they lose sight of humanity and the importance of story to all of us. We need story to help us cope. I remember a young man writing about the fact that he was away at college and had a steady girlfriend back home, but on campus a girl was coming on to him. He said he was really tempted to go with the girl on campus, but then he remembered what Corran Horn did in I, Jedi. Because of that, because of Corran’s example, he remained faithful. I certainly never expected something like that to happen when I was writing I, Jedi, but that it did points to the power of stories that some folks only see as numbers in a spread sheet.

Azzmo
Jul 2, 2007
STUPID MINORITIES ALWAYS MAKING ME FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE TO BE A WHITE MALE
I wish more people were as not boring as he is. He knows he's the bees knees and he says so.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

yronic heroism posted:

Sucks that they're out of print but I find Stackpole's histrionics and self-congratulation more than a little amusing.

Yeah but compared to the more recent EU the better Bantam books just really did nail the uplifting hopeychangey message of the OT.

Del Rey and Dark Horse and Lucasfilms Licensing drove that into the ground, and while I can put up with boring and terrible authors for long stretches of time (see also: the bad/worst Bantam Star Wars books) I can't abide the new direction of the franchise.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
I largely consider the Dark Next to be the tipping point. I can tolerate the NJO because in between a bunch of crap, there's some good gems inside it. The Dark Nest trilogy is irredeemably bad and the LotF and FotJ are just awful.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.

I dunno, this made me laugh.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
I watched Star Wars last night for the first time in a long time, and my wife asked why the Death Star didn't just use its tractor beam to pull in all the rebel fighters at the end of the movie. This had never occurred to me.

So, uh, why didn't they? (Other than "because rebels all dying ignominiously is a terrible way to end a space opera", obviously.) Surely there's a spergy explanation as well.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
Imperial arrogance. Look at Tarkin deride those snubfighters!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I'd be arrogant too over such a stupid term. Snubfighters?

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Captain von Trapp posted:

I watched Star Wars last night for the first time in a long time, and my wife asked why the Death Star didn't just use its tractor beam to pull in all the rebel fighters at the end of the movie. This had never occurred to me.

So, uh, why didn't they? (Other than "because rebels all dying ignominiously is a terrible way to end a space opera", obviously.) Surely there's a spergy explanation as well.

Because they had a terrible IT department and couldn't figure out that an old man had flipped a couple of switches.

NeonTurtle
Sep 24, 2007

Easy. The snubfighters weren't going to be able to hurt the mighty Death Star, so why not let them throw themselves at the Death Star like flies at a windshield in a futile attempt to stop it from blowing up their last hope? Sure, they could have just tractored the fighters and blown them out of the sky, but that wouldn't have caused anywhere near the despair and hopelessness that trying and failing to stop the Death Star would have caused. Presumably they would have let a few fighters escape after the Death Star blew up Yavin IV to spread the word among the Rebellion, sowing fear and panic.

In other words, Tarkin wasn't thinking like a guy trying to win a fight, he was thinking like a guy who had already won the fight and was looking for a way to be as big of a douchebag as possible to the losers.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!

VaultAggie posted:

I largely consider the Dark Next to be the tipping point. I can tolerate the NJO because in between a bunch of crap, there's some good gems inside it. The Dark Nest trilogy is irredeemably bad and the LotF and FotJ are just awful.

I totally agree. I used to read Star Wars books all the time but the first Dark Nest book was so bad that I haven't picked one up since.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

NeonTurtle posted:

Easy. The snubfighters weren't going to be able to hurt the mighty Death Star, so why not let them throw themselves at the Death Star like flies at a windshield in a futile attempt to stop it from blowing up their last hope? Sure, they could have just tractored the fighters and blown them out of the sky, but that wouldn't have caused anywhere near the despair and hopelessness that trying and failing to stop the Death Star would have caused. Presumably they would have let a few fighters escape after the Death Star blew up Yavin IV to spread the word among the Rebellion, sowing fear and panic.

In other words, Tarkin wasn't thinking like a guy trying to win a fight, he was thinking like a guy who had already won the fight and was looking for a way to be as big of a douchebag as possible to the losers.

No, else Vader would not have scrambled fighters and personally launched against them.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

TheBigBad posted:

No, else Vader would not have scrambled fighters and personally launched against them.

No, Vader was clearly doing that on his own, Tarkin didn't give a poo poo.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Well, a tractor beam is just that. A beam.

It's one thing to catch a freighter when it's not even aware it needs to be maneuvering.

It's a much different, and much harder, thing to catch thirty smaller, more agile fighters that are aware of what they're facing and actively trying not to be hit.

It's exactly the same question as "why didn't the Death Star just shoot them all with its surface weaponry", except they probably had more of that than they had tractor beams.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
Didn't they try to catch Luke with a tractor beam in one of the Zahn-novels?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Admiral Goodenough posted:

They knew his flight plan and yanked him out of hyperspace with an interdictor. He had a tractor beam on him almost immediately.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

ZeeToo posted:

Well, a tractor beam is just that. A beam.

It's one thing to catch a freighter when it's not even aware it needs to be maneuvering.

It's a much different, and much harder, thing to catch thirty smaller, more agile fighters that are aware of what they're facing and actively trying not to be hit.

It's exactly the same question as "why didn't the Death Star just shoot them all with its surface weaponry", except they probably had more of that than they had tractor beams.

Why didn't they just blow Yavin up, then either let the gravity well handle Yavin IV or fire again at the moon?

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

TheBigBad posted:

Why didn't they just blow Yavin up, then either let the gravity well handle Yavin IV or fire again at the moon?

I really don't think of it as much of a stretch to say that a planet destroying death ray takes a while to recharge and it's quicker to fly around a huge obstacle than it is to blow it away. And they didn't even think they were in that much of a rush.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

yronic heroism posted:

I really don't think of it as much of a stretch to say that a planet destroying death ray takes a while to recharge and it's quicker to fly around a huge obstacle than it is to blow it away. And they didn't even think they were in that much of a rush.

Oh gawd the Empire can't win... too slow to Yavin, too fast to Hoth.... frick.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Destroying the Rebellion can wait until after the Mofference lunch.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Admiral Goodenough posted:

yeah and it failed. Although it did result in us seeing Thrawn at his most magnificent chess mastery brilliance.

Also I agree with the guys above I was another one who stopped reading at the end of the NJO. I tried reading the Dark Nest Trilogy but it was just so awfully bad I could not get through it and abandoned the EU. Also nothing I have heard about the rest of the current EU seems likely to lure me back Mandolorian wanking,Darth Jacen and space Cthulu do not sound great.

Suenteus Po
Sep 15, 2007
SOH-Dan

TheBigBad posted:

Isn't Yavin a pure gas giant? Maybe the superlaser needs to hit rocks to make a planet blow up.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

TheBigBad posted:

That's a major theme of one of the first How It Should Have Ended videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzoeEdW-EDQ

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Powered Descent posted:

That's a major theme of one of the first How It Should Have Ended videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzoeEdW-EDQ

Those How It Should videos are always so awkwardly unfunny.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ugh, watching Episode IV on Spike and when did they add Boba Fett into the scene with Han and Jabba? He was so poorly matted in there.

NeonTurtle
Sep 24, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

Ugh, watching Episode IV on Spike and when did they add Boba Fett into the scene with Han and Jabba? He was so poorly matted in there.

I remember him being there in the first Special Edition.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

muscles like this? posted:

When they added the scene with Jabba.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Torael_7 posted:

Dammit. I need to hunt down replacements for some of my old battered copies then.

I really wish I could find those older books as ebooks, but if the old bantam books novels can be found anywhere in that form, well uh...I haven't seen it.

So are Star Wars books really not available as eBooks? Do publishers not want to make money?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Duckman2008 posted:

So are Star Wars books really not available as eBooks? Do publishers not want to make money?

You can level a lot of complaints and criticisms against anyone who holds the Star Wars license, but I don't think "doesn't like money" can be one of them.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Chaos Hippy posted:

When they added the scene with Jabba.

I thought he was in the original footage, I didn't know he was matted in later.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Jerk McJerkface posted:

The first time Boba Fett showed up was the holiday special cartoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Jerk McJerkface posted:

He's been there since the Special Edition, but yeah, he wasn't in the scene with Jabba back when they filmed it in the 70's with Harrison Ford. That was a graphic artist named Mark Austin playing Fett, and they filmed that part in 97.