Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

Pagan posted:

Any tips on making strong joints? I just built a mech, and although I'm relatively pleased, his joints are so loose that I'm having trouble posing him.

What are your favorite ways to make joints that bend, can handle a little weight, and stay in place once posed?

What are you having trouble with? A elbow/knee type of joint, or a shoulder/hip type? Elbows/knees can use click joints to great effect, and ball&socket joints can work extremely well for shoulders/hips up to a point, and then you can give them more support with some friction extensions.

Here's a good example of a bunch of joints combined to give a nice overall flexibility and strength:

Here's another good example, a single ball&socket joint can hold a lot of weight and maintain a pose when you back it up with some friction extensions and a rubber tire.

In use:

InfinEight fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Apr 9, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010

3 posted:

They've used non-yellow minifigs for far longer than that; they started showing up for licensed sets in around '05-06 I think, for stuff like the Spider-man 2 sets, Star Wars stuff, etc.

The first set that had fleshies was the '04 Millenium Falcon.

Alien Conquest looks boss.

Huge pics from here:http://ca.gizmodo.com/5764388/lego-alien-conquest-2011-gallery//gallery/3

Muppetjedi fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Apr 10, 2011

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

InfinEight posted:

What are you having trouble with? A elbow/knee type of joint, or a shoulder/hip type? Elbows/knees can use click joints to great effect, and ball&socket joints can work extremely well for shoulders/hips up to a point, and then you can give them more support with some friction extensions.

Here's a good example of a bunch of joints combined to give a nice overall flexibility and strength:

Here's another good example, a single ball&socket joint can hold a lot of weight and maintain a pose when you back it up with some friction extensions and a rubber tire.

In use:

That Rex is staggeringly awesome. Thanks for the examples! I switched most of the joints out for clicky joints, and reinforced the limbs. I'm pretty happy with it right now; it just needs more decoration.

That Ball and Socket with a tire jammed in it looks pretty interesting; I may experiment with that a little on my next MOC.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

Muppetjedi posted:

Huge pics from here:http://ca.gizmodo.com/5764388/lego-alien-conquest-2011-gallery//gallery/3

I am probably more excited for this line than I have been for any other since I was a kid.

Tkytko
Jul 15, 2007

"Hisui-chan~, it seems a few things broke."

"... Nee-san, please refrain from cleaning again."

Muppetjedi posted:

While I'm really excited about Alien Conquest it pisses me off that now they're using stickers for even the curved pieces. :(

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
If you Just Don't Fuckin' Care about bastardizing your lego, you can jam a bit of wire through the slots in a technic friction pin to massively increase its resistance to movement. S'how I built my variable fighter from like a decade ago.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Muppetjedi posted:

Wow. I'm a huge idoit. I just now realized that thing's made of the Indy mine car chase track. Cool use for it, I suppose.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
Is that little alien slug critter designed to slip over a minifig's head? Because that would be awesome.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
Got four S4 at Meijer today. I felt out the Geisha but didn't feel like sitting on the ground feeling out the rest and just grabbed three more. Lucked out and got what I wanted: a musketeer and painter, and a soccer guy (silver minifig trophy and a hairpiece I didn't have). But whoever said feeling out S3 is a pain in the rear end is right.

They also had a bunch of Toy Story sets on sale, but the only thing still on the shelf was Buzz's ship for half off ($15). I am not a Toy Story fan per se but I've wanted a Buzz ever since seeing some great customizations using his winged backpack, and the spaceship parts should be good for space builds.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I had great success with series 4 today just from squeezing packages at TRU. Everything in Series 4 has something pretty noticeable to feel out, the only things I messed up on were a Soccer player (he has a black round 1 stud piece for the base of his trophy that I thought was the end of the Gnome's fishing line) and a Painter (felt the round part of his palette and thought it was a Viking shield). Armed with these packages I compared it to the dot guide posted earlier in this thread and luckily it was accurate. So with that as my guide I was able to go back to TRU and find myself a couple of Vikings and a Gnome after all.

Also grabbed three more Elves and a Samurai from TRU's BOGO half off Series 3 sale. I spent about $50 today on minifigs but it was a very productive $50.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

Pagan posted:

That Ball and Socket with a tire jammed in it looks pretty interesting; I may experiment with that a little on my next MOC.

I've used tires for lots of things. They add a nice smooth cushion of friction:

I also took advantage of the buy 1/get one half off sale at TRU:

I still think the overall design isn't that great, but the shuttle has lots of useful pieces. And the tractor is mostly just for the windscreen pieces. The 2nd TRU I went to had a ton of S3, also on sale:

I have to say, the Samurai's armor seems especially cheap, but the rest is great.
\/\/\/Yeah, its pretty disappointing since the Samurai is one I really wanted :( Oh well, the sale makes it a little better.

InfinEight fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Apr 10, 2011

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."
Yeah I don't know what it is about the Samurai but the entire thing feels cheap. The minifig plastic is especially low grade.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Evek posted:

Yeah I don't know what it is about the Samurai but the entire thing feels cheap. The minifig plastic is especially low grade.

I thought that about the samurai too, while the rest seem fine. Something I've been noticing a lot of lately, not sure if it's just the collectible series or standard sets too, but the hands are the wrong color. Sort of greenish yellow.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Tkytko posted:

While I'm really excited about Alien Conquest it pisses me off that now they're using stickers for even the curved pieces. :(

For the prices they charge for the sets, they least they could do is heat stamp some of the drat bricks like they used to.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

Actually, I'm kinda glad they use stickers for most things, since it means its easier to use those pieces for whatever you can imagine. The only times I really get irritated with stickers, is when they use them for control panels/computers/etc or minifigs; I want those printed, drat it!

The new space shuttle sets I got are a perfect example; if the tailfins had that logo printed on them forever, I'd find it pretty irritating.

EDIT: looks like the nose is printed though, to be more shuttle-like:

So you win some you lose some, I guess?

\/\/They did a hit&run on that stormtrooper pilot.

InfinEight fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Apr 10, 2011

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Landspeeders just lying about on the floor, now that's disaster waiting to happen.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I don't understand the rationale behind using that one-piece cockpit. It can only ever be a cockpit or voltron foot of some kind.

I'm sure someone will prove me wrong though.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I don't understand the rationale behind using that one-piece cockpit. It can only ever be a cockpit or voltron foot of some kind.

I'm sure someone will prove me wrong though.

I was thinking bullet train cockpit.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Time Cowboy posted:

Is that little alien slug critter designed to slip over a minifig's head? Because that would be awesome.

It is designed to do just that, yes. I think there might have been a pic of one on a head posted a few pages back.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
Thread title now relevant.

bbf2 fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Apr 10, 2011

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

I have the Samurai and I'm pretty happy with him. I didn't realize there was a wood elf, now I have something to look for next time I'm at a TRU.

InfinEight posted:

Can you show me an exploded shot of this? I'm wondering what the round piece is from, and what's running through it.

It looks like you've got a rod running from the ball and socket, then through the round piece into some technic pieces. Is there a gear inside the tire? Also, my ball and sockets are solid, no place to put a rod in the ball joint.

Here's what I built. This guy may still show up in the CYOA Thread, so try to act suitably surprised when he does.

Back view

With the weapons bays opened up.

Here's how I did the arms. The elbow joint is very flexible, it gives me all three axes of motion, but it's not very steady.

And the legs / hips are the biggest problem. I got things to be relatively sturdy, but now there's no side to side motion. He has to walk with his legs pretty much straight forward.

This is with the hips inverted so you can see the underside.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

Saint Sputnik posted:

I was thinking bullet train cockpit.

http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/81666

Its been done with the plane nose, it makes for an odd size train though. The shuttle seems like it would blend a bit better being 6wide.

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003

Pagan posted:

InfinEight posted:

joints
Can you show me an exploded shot of this? I'm wondering what the round piece is from, and what's running through it.

I'm wondering about this picture, too. I'm also wondering, if the tire + whatever-that-piece-is is the joint, and there's massive friction at that point, what keeps the model from losing grip at the ball-and-socket joint; what keeps it upright?

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

I'll just be my regular drat helpful self then:

As you can see, it uses a ball with an axle-through hole, and an 'axle with a stop'. I was thrilled when Lego released these pieces, since the old one-way-balls would have been useless for this kind of application. They've also released shorter versions of that axle now, so it would be easy to use this idea on a smaller mech.

The red area on the top photo shows approximately where the tire contacts when it's pressed flush against the socket. This is all conjecture, but when it's flush it feels like the resistance is nearly doubled. The tire squeezes the socket AND rubs against the back wall, even when it's angled as in the bottom pic. However, it still wasn't enough for something as big as REX, so that's why there's two extensions on the inside of each thigh to help the joint out.

This works even better when the rotation plane is consistent:

If needed a 2x2 cylindrical brick can go inside the tire to squeeze it even more against the outer wheels, and this makes for a very stiff but smooth rotation point.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

InfinEight posted:

I'll just be my regular drat helpful self then:

As you can see, it uses a ball with an axle-through hole, and an 'axle with a stop'. I was thrilled when Lego released these pieces, since the old one-way-balls would have been useless for this kind of application. They've also released shorter versions of that axle now, so it would be easy to use this idea on a smaller mech.

The red area on the top photo shows approximately where the tire contacts when it's pressed flush against the socket. This is all conjecture, but when it's flush it feels like the resistance is nearly doubled. The tire squeezes the socket AND rubs against the back wall, even when it's angled as in the bottom pic. However, it still wasn't enough for something as big as REX, so that's why there's two extensions on the inside of each thigh to help the joint out.

This works even better when the rotation plane is consistent:

If needed a 2x2 cylindrical brick can go inside the tire to squeeze it even more against the outer wheels, and this makes for a very stiff but smooth rotation point.

Excellent post, thank you. I guess my next question is, where do you get a ball with a hole through it? All mine are solid.

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003

Pagan posted:

Excellent post, thank you. I guess my next question is, where do you get a ball with a hole through it? All mine are solid.

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=53585

mhsneon
Jul 2, 2005

I work for Intel but AMD makes me hot
Got all the sets I brought with me or have bought while on work assignment built, so now it is time to take them all apart and build a MOC. I brought a couple extra remotes and motors and receivers and gears and stuff with me from home as well. What shall I build.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006
One of my fellow club members is a collector of Classic Space sets. He decided to use them for a display at the upcoming Lego convention, Brick Magic, next month. I went to his place the other day to help him build the sets he had bagged up in preparation. Here's what he and I built.

Here's all (I think) of his Classic Space, ready to go.

I have a fair amount myself, so it should be quite the display.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Nice, I like Classic Space though the oldest of it kind of predates me. Do you have any closeups?

Just got my camera fixed. The on button broke so I had to take it all apart and make a hole in the back to poke at the power connection. Somehow, even though I had the batteries out, it kept shocking me. Anyway here's a ship. I like the idea of a spaceship with a beefy muscle car engine, a la Brick Daddy's pimpmobile and this guy's stuff.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

Shuppiluliumas posted:

I don't have the loving words. Tell me that all those Classic Space minifigs have old style helmets that aren't busted in the middle. I dare you. Then tell me that they all have bright gold chest paint. And shoulders that still hold their arms in place.

Then I will be completely consumed by jealousy, instead of this kind-of-sort-of jealousy that only has me considering getting a second mortgage to do something similar. That'll push me over the edge into bank robbing jealousy.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Sexual Lorax posted:

I don't have the loving words. Tell me that all those Classic Space minifigs have old style helmets that aren't busted in the middle. I dare you. Then tell me that they all have bright gold chest paint. And shoulders that still hold their arms in place.

Then I will be completely consumed by jealousy, instead of this kind-of-sort-of jealousy that only has me considering getting a second mortgage to do something similar. That'll push me over the edge into bank robbing jealousy.

Oh, god, I didn't even notice the formation of Classic Space figs. I love Classic Space; they're the ones I started with back as a kid, and I'm constantly looking for sets and figs. Very, very few of mine survived with intact helmets or gold chest printing.

Once I'm done paying off my car loan this summer, I think I'm gonna start buying all the classic blue/gray/yellow and white/blue sets and intact minifigs I can get my hands on.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

The real question: What is your friends address? Does he have any major security systems? Any large dogs?

(Joking)

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

InfinEight posted:

This is deceptively cool:

The images are a little big, but they're worth loading up to see all the details: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=439797

This. This makes me want to lego again.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Saint Sputnik posted:

Nice, I like Classic Space though the oldest of it kind of predates me. Do you have any closeups?

Nice use of the mime arms on that fig. I'm afraid I don't have any closeups. I'll take some pictures of my Classic Space stuff once I get it all cleaned up and fixed.

Sexual Lorax posted:

They definitely all have original helmets. Their condition varies quite a bit, but I'd say half or more of them still have their gold, though. Most of them were still holding together pretty well, too.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Shuppiluliumas posted:

Here's all (I think) of his Classic Space, ready to go.

I have a fair amount myself, so it should be quite the display.
Owns, hard. I went through the close-up saying "Got it, got it, need it, need it" etc. :D

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Made a few more ships scavenging parts from Buzz's ride, but this is my favorite.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
I've got a large collection of old LEGO in bins I plan on going through and cleaning up. What's the best way to clean old LEGO? It's all dusty, some is a bit grungy from being handled by kids. Should I just use dish soap and scrub it with a bristle brush or maybe a toothbrush? I'm also going to have to sort out broken pieces and ones with tooth marks - they've been a bit abused.

I haven't looked through these bins in years - but I have already found an early space figure.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

rocket_350 posted:

I've got a large collection of old LEGO in bins I plan on going through and cleaning up. What's the best way to clean old LEGO? It's all dusty, some is a bit grungy from being handled by kids. Should I just use dish soap and scrub it with a bristle brush or maybe a toothbrush? I'm also going to have to sort out broken pieces and ones with tooth marks - they've been a bit abused.

I haven't looked through these bins in years - but I have already found an early space figure.

Just fill a tub with some warm water and a mild detergent and agitate it a while, then let it soak. I'd only use brushes on pieces that persist in staying dirty.

Yellowed pieces can be un-yellowed with a mixture of hydrogen peroxide, water, and sun/UV light. http://retr0bright.wikispaces.com/ for details. It could lighten printed bricks, though.

CayTeo
Oct 14, 2004

I don't want to set the world on fire
Did anyone else do the TRU sale yesterday where you buy a set for a certain price and get one of the new racer set for free? Except it couldn't be the cool little $7 set that looked like a hot rod, it had to be the big $13 weird thing with an air pump to smash, launching the car. I guess it was screwing up in the computer because there was all kinds of hell getting me through the cashier and the manager went back and took all the signs down after we were done.

The racer sets look to have some pretty cool pieces but I'm not really in to the air thing to send my car flying into a wall. This will probably be assimilated into other projects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Who thought the weirdo skeletons in the Ninjago sets were cool? They make my brain hurt.