Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008

IntangiblePanda posted:

I was just going through a bunch of old boxes of my mom's and found a copy of the script for the 10,686th episode of As The World Turns that has been signed by all the cast members.

Is this worthless?

I thought this was a joke but holy poo poo. Not knowing anything about the show, I'd buy it just by how staggering the amount of episodes they had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

DerDestroyer posted:

What are the primary factors that affect how long it takes for a new highway or railway line to be built? In some countries it seems you can build an entire new section of infrastructure in less than a year while in others it takes 2-3 years to build new roads or even expand the width of existing ones.

Money to hand, amount of workers available, and whether the new build would gently caress with other stuff (i.e. a highway being built over a stretch of busy surface road has to be built slower to avoid disrupting rush hour traffic and such).

If you build a new road in Africa where there's nothing in the way it won't take long at all, if you're trying to expand a busy urban freeway in the US you need account for all the stuff around you and usually keep the rest of the road open as much as possible.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

IntangiblePanda posted:

I was just going through a bunch of old boxes of my mom's and found a copy of the script for the 10,686th episode of As The World Turns that has been signed by all the cast members.

Is this worthless?

I wouldn't think it's worthless, but it's the kind of thing you'd have to throw on eBay and see what people are willing to pay for it.

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")

IntangiblePanda posted:

Is this worthless?

Are you near vegas? You could take it to Gold and Silver Pawn Shop and probably get on an episode of Pawn Stars. That seems like the kind of thing that would make it to air, especially if it has some signatures of people who are super famous now but got their start working on soaps.

Other than that I'd advise you to check ebay t or see if there are any memoribilia shops near you.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

fishmech posted:

Money to hand, amount of workers available, and whether the new build would gently caress with other stuff (i.e. a highway being built over a stretch of busy surface road has to be built slower to avoid disrupting rush hour traffic and such).

If you build a new road in Africa where there's nothing in the way it won't take long at all, if you're trying to expand a busy urban freeway in the US you need account for all the stuff around you and usually keep the rest of the road open as much as possible.

Climate is another one. It's winter for half the year where I live, so road construction only happens from April to October or maybe November unless it's an emergency. Crappy weather at the start or end can also take some time away, So repaving a large bit of road here could take a year or 2 to complete just because you can only work less than half of the year. Wind is also a problem here, lots of builders and workers have been killed or hurt when packing large sheets of plywood, etc. around and the wind knocks them off of the scaffolds or lifts. This has led to a lot of companies halting major work like putting up walls or roofing if it starts getting too bad. Hell, the frame of a building under construction here collapsed in the wind one day, leaving a pile of steel beams and shattered 2x4s. They had to start it all from scratch as soon as the weather permitted.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

DerDestroyer posted:

What are the primary factors that affect how long it takes for a new highway or railway line to be built? In some countries it seems you can build an entire new section of infrastructure in less than a year while in others it takes 2-3 years to build new roads or even expand the width of existing ones.

It can be something as simple as "how democratic the country is". It's easier to demolish someone's village or place a railway line right next to it if they have very little power. In somewhere like China where state is king and things are done for the good of the whole rather than the few, it's easier to upgrade a rail-link compared to England which is full of NIMBYs complaining non-stop about literally any kind of change.

Also things like
-conservation areas/green belt land
-existing infrastructure to connect with or avoid damaging
-who the land belongs to
-cost of labour/materials
-how skilled the job is
-how difficult the terrain is to tame

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

I'm going on holiday to the US for two weeks, and will be meeting up with friends, so I want to buy a cheap prepaid sim card. What would be the best place to pick one of these up? I'd prefer to get one that I can just pay for and use immediately, rather than have to stand around in a shop waiting for them to register my details.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

elbow posted:

I'm going on holiday to the US for two weeks, and will be meeting up with friends, so I want to buy a cheap prepaid sim card. What would be the best place to pick one of these up? I'd prefer to get one that I can just pay for and use immediately, rather than have to stand around in a shop waiting for them to register my details.

You can't do this, really. Better off buying a cheap Tracfone or something at a shop for cash.

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!
My joints regularly pop and crack when I exercise (I mostly just do push-ups). I don't feel it, but it's just loud enough for me to hear.

Could this be a sign of any sort of issue, like arthritis or damaged ligaments etc?

Edit: 21-year-old male, not badly out of shape.

Raimundus fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Apr 10, 2011

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I couldn't find a relevant region thread for China, so I figured I'd start here. I'll be taking a two-week trip to Beijing and Shanghai (and perhaps one or two smaller nearby towns. Someone else informed us that the Chinese supposedly put formaldehyde in their alcohol. Is there any truth to this? If there is, is there any good way to be safe other than buy stuff only from the duty-free shop at the airport/don't drink?

erobadapazzi
Jul 23, 2007
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3282374
I think that's the China thread. You might have better luck there.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Raimundus posted:

My joints regularly pop and crack when I exercise (I mostly just do push-ups). I don't feel it, but it's just loud enough for me to hear.

Could this be a sign of any sort of issue, like arthritis or damaged ligaments etc?

Edit: 21-year-old male, not badly out of shape.
Happens to me too, but as far as I know there's no damage to my joints. It's on the same level as cracking knuckles, and I've heard that it's gas in the joints (caused by cavitation), probably carbon dioxide.

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!

WillieWestwood posted:

Happens to me too, but as far as I know there's no damage to my joints. It's on the same level as cracking knuckles, and I've heard that it's gas in the joints (caused by cavitation), probably carbon dioxide.

Yeah, but when I do a set of 40 push-ups and I hear 80 pops coming from my shoulder, I start to wonder if something might be grinding. Gas does not build between joints that quickly.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Raimundus posted:

Yeah, but when I do a set of 40 push-ups and I hear 80 pops coming from my shoulder, I start to wonder if something might be grinding. Gas does not build between joints that quickly.
You'd definitely feel it if the bones in the joint were grinding past each other, but if you're not sure, you should have them checked out. You could have bone fracture, which causes crepitus, another source of grinding sounds coming from the joints.

WillieWestwood fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Apr 10, 2011

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Raimundus posted:

If this has been happening for a long time for you and you've never felt discomfort from the affected areas, it's probably not that gas is building up all of a sudden, but that it's been there for a while. I've had a popping knee since I was 12.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I'm still all fascinated by how much in-flight plane services have come along since I've been on one. So how can a plane generate enough electricity to power laptops and poo poo plane-wide? I don't mean to sound retarded, and I feel like I'm going " :aaaaa: How do headlights work when a car is running?!" about this, but the idea of 400 people all using the electricity of a plane at the same time, while everything else is going on, just sounds neat and I'm curious if they had to up battery size (do planes have batteries? I know nothing about plane mechanical stuff) or if it generates it somehow or.. :3: How it works. Or is electricity for poo poo like that really limited on planes?

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

hooah posted:

I couldn't find a relevant region thread for China, so I figured I'd start here. I'll be taking a two-week trip to Beijing and Shanghai (and perhaps one or two smaller nearby towns. Someone else informed us that the Chinese supposedly put formaldehyde in their alcohol. Is there any truth to this? If there is, is there any good way to be safe other than buy stuff only from the duty-free shop at the airport/don't drink?

If you're that worried just buy brand name beer/spirits. Ones you can get here. Watch them open your bottle of beer or whatever. I doubt they're going to put anything in the alcohol. Its probably some tiny distillery out in the middle of no where selling their stuff to alcoholic farmers who live off a dollar a day.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I'm still all fascinated by how much in-flight plane services have come along since I've been on one. So how can a plane generate enough electricity to power laptops and poo poo plane-wide? I don't mean to sound retarded, and I feel like I'm going " :aaaaa: How do headlights work when a car is running?!" about this, but the idea of 400 people all using the electricity of a plane at the same time, while everything else is going on, just sounds neat and I'm curious if they had to up battery size (do planes have batteries? I know nothing about plane mechanical stuff) or if it generates it somehow or.. :3: How it works. Or is electricity for poo poo like that really limited on planes?

Your plane is powered by 2-4 really big jet engines. They're cranking out enough of electricity to run 400 laptops and then some.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

fishmech posted:

You can't do this, really. Better off buying a cheap Tracfone or something at a shop for cash.

What? You can definitely buy prepaid sim cards. Best Buy has like 10 of them.

You need an unlocked GSM phone though, that operates on the carrier's US bands, which might be an issue.

I agree with fishmech that buying a burner is a better option though.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Your plane is powered by 2-4 really big jet engines. They're cranking out enough of electricity to run 400 laptops and then some.

I didn't even think of that. Thanks, dude.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

RaoulDuke12 posted:

What? You can definitely buy prepaid sim cards. Best Buy has like 10 of them.

You need an unlocked GSM phone though, that operates on the carrier's US bands, which might be an issue.

I agree with fishmech that buying a burner is a better option though.

We've got two phones that both support triband and quadband so that shouldn't be a problem :) Would prefer to get a simcard, so will have a look at Best Buy, thanks!

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Is there a good twitter manager program or site that'll organize your twitter feed so it isn't one giant mess?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Does anyone have any experience with Eames Lounge Chair replicas? Something along these lines:

http://www.eternitymodern.com/eames_lounge_chair_ottoman.html

GenoCanSing
Mar 2, 2004

I'm trying like hell to remember this one person I found one day hitting random on wikipedia. Here's what I can remember:

- He was a rock star in a not-that-huge band that had a cult following. Lead singer, I think, and the band was pretty heavy; gory lyrics I think.
- He committed suicide.
- Part of his fame was that he made a serious attempt to get some iconic movie role that eventually just went to a movie star. I'm 90% sure that the movie was in the 90's. He filmed his audition, and I think it said some collectors had the tape, but it was never leaked online.

I don't know why this popped in my head the other day, but if anyone knows who I'm talking about, I'd appreciate it.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Are there other sports/games like golf that have a non-infinite "top" score that has never been reached?

I.E. you can theoretically get a minimum of 18 by getting 18 hole in ones, but it will probably never happen.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
What's this bird I keep seeing flying around every summer? It's some kind of large raptor that that looks somewhat like an osprey only larger, with brown in place of the gray osprey markings. It has a long v-shaped tail, split down the middle.
NE Florida if that helps.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

How should go about selling some diamond/gold jewellery in the UK? I've never sold anything or had anything appraised before or anything like that. I'm not averse to sending something away to be appraised/sold so long as the company is reputable. Can anyone give any tips?

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

silversiren posted:

What's this bird I keep seeing flying around every summer? It's some kind of large raptor that that looks somewhat like an osprey only larger, with brown in place of the gray osprey markings. It has a long v-shaped tail, split down the middle.
NE Florida if that helps.

It sounds like a type of kite, something like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swallow-tailed_Kite

ass is hometown
Jan 11, 2006

I gotta take a leak. When I get back, we're doing body shots.

GenoCanSing posted:

I'm trying like hell to remember this one person I found one day hitting random on wikipedia. Here's what I can remember:

- He was a rock star in a not-that-huge band that had a cult following. Lead singer, I think, and the band was pretty heavy; gory lyrics I think.
- He committed suicide.
- Part of his fame was that he made a serious attempt to get some iconic movie role that eventually just went to a movie star. I'm 90% sure that the movie was in the 90's. He filmed his audition, and I think it said some collectors had the tape, but it was never leaked online.

I don't know why this popped in my head the other day, but if anyone knows who I'm talking about, I'd appreciate it.

It sounds like Glenn Danzig of Misfits then Danzig fame. There was something about him trying to get the role of Wolverine in the X-men movies. He isn't dead though.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Dumb, I realized that this question really should go to CC where there's a more dedicated audience. New question.

The air here gets really dry sometimes and causes the inside of my nose to crack and I get periodic nosebleeds. This is especially bad in allergy season. Is there a better way to manage this than periodically rubbing vaseline along the inside of my nose?

tarepanda fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Apr 11, 2011

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

WHEEZY HIDE A EGG posted:

Are you near vegas? You could take it to Gold and Silver Pawn Shop and probably get on an episode of Pawn Stars. That seems like the kind of thing that would make it to air, especially if it has some signatures of people who are super famous now but got their start working on soaps.

Other than that I'd advise you to check ebay t or see if there are any memoribilia shops near you.

They bought a guy's original script to Goldfinger for $500. Don't they always say that scripts are hard to sell and not worth that much money even when they do sell them? Yes, they want to buy things as cheap as possibly but I don't think they turned that Goldfinger script around for like $5,000 either.

Flashing Twelve
Mar 20, 2007

What's the best (read: cheapest) way to ship a large quantity of items from the US to Australia? No heavy/large items like furniture or anything, just a lot of clothes, some computer bits, books, that kind of stuff. It's too expensive to be shipped by airmail and I can't bring any more suitcases on the plane with me.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
You can ship it via freight, takes a while (4-6 weeks IIRC?) and is the cheapest that I know of.

LasterTrain
Aug 2, 2008
Is there a way to disable "find as you type" in iTunes? My itunes ends up becoming unresponsive while it tries to search, making it so that I cannot type and the whole program beachballs.

I would prefer to type what I want and then hit return.

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")

ElwoodCuse posted:

They bought a guy's original script to Goldfinger for $500. Don't they always say that scripts are hard to sell and not worth that much money even when they do sell them? Yes, they want to buy things as cheap as possibly but I don't think they turned that Goldfinger script around for like $5,000 either.

Was the Goldfinger script signed? With something like a script that's signed by the whole cast, you're selling the signatures more than the script. It could be worth something if, like I said, it's signed by someone that's an A- or B-list celebrity now but was working bit roles on TV back when that script was produced.

Of course I'm by no means an expert, and everything I've learned about selling Hollywood memoribilia has come from third hand stories or episodes of Pawn Stars.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Was the Goldfinger script signed? With something like a script that's signed by the whole cast, you're selling the signatures more than the script. It could be worth something if, like I said, it's signed by someone that's an A- or B-list celebrity now but was working bit roles on TV back when that script was produced.

Of course I'm by no means an expert, and everything I've learned about selling Hollywood memoribilia has come from third hand stories or episodes of Pawn Stars.

It could be worth something to someone, but sometimes with things like this, ebay is a bad place to sell it.

Daemus
Jun 20, 2008

Not entirely undoglike

tarepanda posted:

Dumb, I realized that this question really should go to CC where there's a more dedicated audience. New question.

The air here gets really dry sometimes and causes the inside of my nose to crack and I get periodic nosebleeds. This is especially bad in allergy season. Is there a better way to manage this than periodically rubbing vaseline along the inside of my nose?

I used to get nosebleeds like this as a kid, and IIRC I was prescribed some Vitamin A nasal spray for it. I'm not 100% sure it was Vitamin A specifically, but there definitely was a nasal spray that helped with this.

Otherwise you could always get a humidifier, I guess?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I thought about getting a humidifier, but it would be untenable at work, which is where I spend the majority of my time.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Another time a guy brought in a Heat of the Night script signed by a ton of people including Carroll O'Connor (Archie Bunker) and they didn't even make him an offer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

ElwoodCuse posted:

Maybe, but from what I gather from occasionally reading Soap Opera Digest (it's in a friend's mom's bathroom okay? :(), soap opera fans are INSANELY dedicated. They have annual cruises that people pay thousands of dollars for to hang out with the stars. I think the soap in question may have been cancelled recently, which means there are probably some melancholy fans out there who would love to own "a piece of soap opera history." Seriously, look into shops that sell celebrity crap, and maybe even contact Soap Opera Digest because they'll know where you should go.