Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

GWBBQ posted:

Sorry to burst your bubble, buy nobody looks anything resembling stealthy holding an iPhone perpendicular to the ground.

Hold phone normally to figure out composition and get settings down, tilt up for the shot, tilt back to normal position. It's only really obvious if you do it three or four times in a row in the same spot. Plus people have become oblivious to camera phones these days.

What I'd really like is a 45 degree prism to stick on the lens so you wouldn't even have to tilt the phone up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
Like one of these?

Jimmy Thief
Nov 5, 2002

by toby
A few shots from the past couple years when I lived in DC. Any feedback is appreciated as I'm trying to get better.

A bird? A plane? by City of Lakes, on Flickr

Stop and listen, mama. by City of Lakes, on Flickr

Untitled by City of Lakes, on Flickr

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
A couple old ones I found while cleaning out my lightroom catalogue.

Protest by Moist_von_Lipwig, on Flickr

Hey you, up there. by Moist_von_Lipwig, on Flickr

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Sao Paolo, Brazil.

General Gingersnap
Jan 27, 2009

nullfox
Aug 19, 2008
Here's my first attempt at doing street photography...

IMG_4462.jpg by wildfoxmedia, on Flickr

IMG_4450.jpg by wildfoxmedia, on Flickr

IMG_4423.jpg by wildfoxmedia, on Flickr

Radzin
Sep 3, 2006

forward forward high kick
Took this as a test shot then ended up loving it.

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

This one of those shots that I love but literally almost didn't mean to take

Man on the street watching the fire by damnlamb, on Flickr

Boiler
Dec 23, 2004
Shut up phone
I've been finding that I'm finally losing my shyness about street photography. These three photos from Vegas are some of my favourites from the trip.

Volunteers // Las Vegas by Craig F, on Flickr

A conversation // Las Vegas by Craig F, on Flickr

86/365 - "Watching the fountains" by Craig F, on Flickr

Critique is appreciated.

Prathm
Nov 24, 2005

Boiler posted:

I've been finding that I'm finally losing my shyness about street photography. These three photos from Vegas are some of my favourites from the trip.

Critique is appreciated.

You have some good compositions, very striking. I think the framing on the second one should have been a little wider. It looks a bit funny to me that her shoes are cut in half.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Boiler posted:

Critique is appreciated.

The first one could benefit from being wider framed. The second one too but not as much. I like the colors quite a bit on the second one, whereas the first one does nothing for me really. The second one evokes something, but it feels off somehow too.

However, I really like the third one for some reason. I really like the colors and the scene makes up for the people not being interesting. I really like the third shot a lot; it really works. It reminded me of Brassaï in a more abstract way.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Boiler posted:

A conversation // Las Vegas by Craig F, on Flickr

It looks like you missed focus on this one? I would rather the people be in focus.

Boiler
Dec 23, 2004
Shut up phone

Prathm posted:

I think the framing on the second one should have been a little wider. It looks a bit funny to me that her shoes are cut in half.

Thanks for the feedback. I had to rotate the photo back to level and lost some of the bottom left corner in the process, hence the missing feet. In the other shot I had of them the weren't looking at each other, so I don't think it communicated as much.

Boiler
Dec 23, 2004
Shut up phone

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

It looks like you missed focus on this one? I would rather the people be in focus.

Welp, good point. It could also be that I was trying to hand-hold at 1/25 without stabilisation, come to think of it.

Boiler
Dec 23, 2004
Shut up phone

No. 9 posted:

The first one could benefit from being wider framed. The second one too but not as much. I like the colors quite a bit on the second one, whereas the first one does nothing for me really. The second one evokes something, but it feels off somehow too.

However, I really like the third one for some reason. I really like the colors and the scene makes up for the people not being interesting. I really like the third shot a lot; it really works. It reminded me of Brassaï in a more abstract way.

Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Went out with intentions to shoot street fashion for mine and my wife's street fashion blog, but this thread was in my head, and so was that video of that Rangefinder elitist from waaaaaaaay back in the thread (I've slowly been going through it), so I snapped some street stuff. Comments/Crits are always welcomed.

Street-0245 by zachary.spradlin, on Flickr

Funky Street by zachary.spradlin, on Flickr

Street-0273 by zachary.spradlin, on Flickr

I like this one most I think, capturing the basketball where it's at was pure luck.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

RizieN posted:

Funky Street by zachary.spradlin, on Flickr
I like this one. That guy on the right is kind of bumming me out though. Would it look better if he were cropped out?

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007
World Famous in New Zealand

spf3million posted:

I like this one. That guy on the right is kind of bumming me out though. Would it look better if he were cropped out?

my sophisticated "hold hand in front of offending individual" method says yes.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Say, I don't remember international laws regarding street photography being discussed, really only US.
It may be worth summarising the rules for various places around.

I'm bringing this up, because I discovered that the laws regarding photography in public places in Denmark (where I live) are actually quite strict:
You must be on public ground, the subject must be on public ground, and the subject must give explicit or implicit consent. (Implicit consent is basically, subject being aware of the photographer without showing displeasure about the camera.) Since the subject must also be on public ground, you can't e.g. photograph into someone's garden.

I would especially be interested if someone could give a run-down of the rules in Germany and Sweden (and the rest of Europe for that matter.)

Edit: Okay, UK is covered in the OP and on Wikipedia.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Apr 13, 2011

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Sweden just got a new privacy law. Of course someone had to go and gently caress with it immediately.

Prathm
Nov 24, 2005

dreggory posted:

my sophisticated "hold hand in front of offending individual" method says yes.

Agreed. I think it would look neat in a square crop.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
The guy on the right was bumming me out too...so I went with the suggestion and square cropped it. But is there a way to "upload new version" of a photo? Replacing one photo on flickr with another?

Street-0129-2 by zachary.spradlin, on Flickr

Is the perspective wonky/distracting?

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Not to me. But it does feel like all those photos should be closer. Right now it feels pretty removed, since you have so much additional space in the frame that doesn't really add to the story.

Prathm
Nov 24, 2005

RizieN posted:

Is the perspective wonky/distracting?

It really focuses your attention on the dancing guy. I like it. Alternatively, you could include the man on the bench more (move the square crop left) That would prob. give it more of a story.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
What do you guys think about using an iPhone for candid shots like this. Obvious image quality concerns aside, the camera is pretty decent for daylight photos, and you'll be completely invisible to passersby.

Here's a couple of shots I took just walking down the street, iPhone hanging at the side, snapping shots of people as they walked by.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
How many were 'Artistic' and how many butts in yoga pants did you shoot? ;)

I don't think the camera is as important as the artist's vision, and apparently Street Photography is about documenting humans and being invisible, so the iPhone is perfect for that.

nullfox
Aug 19, 2008
Annual parade in town today - Took some hip-shots and some "normal" shots...

IMG_4710.jpg by wildfoxmedia, on Flickr

IMG_4548.jpg by wildfoxmedia, on Flickr

IMG_4606.jpg by wildfoxmedia, on Flickr

IMG_4693.jpg by wildfoxmedia, on Flickr

IMG_4695.jpg by wildfoxmedia, on Flickr

vikingtravels
Jul 13, 2006
Experienced life-enjoyment executive

RizieN posted:

The guy on the right was bumming me out too...so I went with the suggestion and square cropped it. But is there a way to "upload new version" of a photo? Replacing one photo on flickr with another?

Yes there is;
In the "Actions" menu on the top left of the picture, you find the "Replace" link.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Is that a pro feature, 'cause I don't have it. I wasn't gonna go pro until I felt I really needed it, but it's pretty cheap so maybe I should.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

RizieN posted:

Is that a pro feature, 'cause I don't have it. I wasn't gonna go pro until I felt I really needed it, but it's pretty cheap so maybe I should.

Yup, it's a pro feature.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

RizieN posted:

Seriously worth it. Helped a ton when I wanted to go through and replace pics with copies that were watermark-free. $25 is cheaper than a night at the movies nowadays, so may as well have that year of options and stats with the money.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Yea I didn't realize it was 25/year, It just always says "you're using 2% of whatever space you're allowed" and I figured, gently caress it...until I get more serious/more volume I might as well wait, but looking at it now I don't see a reason why not. Plus...I'll be a professional right? :v:

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!
I came across this article Sketchy "Street Photographers" Descend On Boston’s Downtown Crossing on Gizmodo.com. The original story with video is here and a response from one of the photographers is here.

Are these guys pervs? Is WBZ-TV twisting it so they seem like pervs so they have a story? I do think it is funny that one of the "Street Photographers" didn't want the camera on him. The comments are classic - I would just smash their camera!

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

Whitezombi posted:

Is WBZ-TV twisting it so they seem like pervs so they have a story? I do think it is funny that one of the "Street Photographers" didn't want the camera on him. The comments are classic - I would just smash their camera!

Ding ding ding!

How do you know they didn't want to be photographed? A. It could just be more spin to make them sound dubious. B. It's not quite the same thing to compare random photographer photographing random people for artistic purposes, and photographing a photographer's face for a news piece that will demonize him/her as a pervo and then broadcast it to their entire community.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Yea if they're going to spin it like they're just snagging upskirts, and they knew there was a chance they would, I wouldn't let them use my image for the piece.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

poopinmymouth posted:

Ding ding ding!

How do you know they didn't want to be photographed? A. It could just be more spin to make them sound dubious. B. It's not quite the same thing to compare random photographer photographing random people for artistic purposes, and photographing a photographer's face for a news piece that will demonize him/her as a pervo and then broadcast it to their entire community.

I know it's not the same thing - I wouldn't want them doing it to me either. I would just tell them to gently caress off and walk away. Network news has turned into a loving joke.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010
Went to Amsterdam and gave some street shooting a go, usually don't have the balls to walk up to people and shoot them.

kreuger by J Dawson, on Flickr

gorilla by J Dawson, on Flickr

freddy by J Dawson, on Flickr

geetar by J Dawson, on Flickr

gold_suit by J Dawson, on Flickr

e: One more I processed today.

bw_retro by J Dawson, on Flickr

Creepy Goat fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Apr 23, 2011

MediumWellDone
Oct 4, 2010

おいしいよね〜
ソースがね〜
濃厚だね〜
Came across a parade the other week. I was completely unprepared for it and only had my RZ67 with me. Let's just say it isn't the fastest camera to opperate. Anyway here is one shot that I think turned out okay.

Parade girl by Mhebble, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Creepy Goat posted:

bw_retro by J Dawson, on Flickr

The dude's expression in this pic is fantastic.