Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.

Admirable Gusto posted:

I have a Cayman S that is my daily driver + track slut. I've decided that 19" wheels are for posing and backache and am using this as an excuse to downsize to 18"

Just checked out the prices on Tire Rack and a set of 18" Pilot Super Sports is only $1,054 compared to $1,300 for the PS2s, and the PS2s are supposed to be less good

Of course the Hankook Ventus V12 Evos are only $600 :monocle:

The Hankook Ventus V12 Evos are an awesome tire. PS2s are an ancient compound and not worth the money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Time to pull the cover off and wash my summer ride since spring is finally here.

At least this one has an open top.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MG2HOTa5NE

I got my glasspacks installed :smug:

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

That sounds awesome! I'm talking my uncle into doing that with his right now.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I finally "fixed" the starter eating problem my truck has had for the past year. 1980 F250 with the 302 and a C6 three-speed.

I've been through 5 starters before I got to this one. The first two were a case of the shop giving us the wrong starter, and the last three were just getting eaten up after about twenty starting cycles. It just felt like the starter wasn't close enough to the flywheel, so I finally made some "modifications".

I took a brand new starter into the machine shop at work, dropped the fucker in a vice and got out the Dremel and a diamond metal-cutting bit. I ground off the mounting flanges on the face and bored out the top mounting bolt by 5mm. I then bored out the threads on the transmission bellhousing, and used 8.8 M10 coarse-flange nuts and bolts prevent the starter from moving around, what with all the wiggle room the bored out bolt-holes gave. What do you fuckin' know, it hasn't ground once since. Turning the key is no longer a finger-crossing occasion.

I still wince whenever I turn the key, waiting for it to grind. Oh God, this loving truck.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Kylie Sven Opossum posted:

That sounds awesome! I'm talking my uncle into doing that with his right now.

Haha, it's seriously worth it. $20 per glasspack, using the stock 2 inch piping all the way back. Total cost was about $40 for 2 Red Hots and then another $50 to get them installed, and I couldn't be happier :D

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

T1g4h posted:

Haha, it's seriously worth it. $20 per glasspack, using the stock 2 inch piping all the way back. Total cost was about $40 for 2 Red Hots and then another $50 to get them installed, and I couldn't be happier :D

Does it get wicked loud when you get on it while driving? I had glasspacks on my galaxie but I took them off like 2 weeks later cause it was way too loud.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

At the lower RPMs, yeah, it'll roar and howl like a banshee, but it settles down nicely once you get going. It tends to smooth out into this nice background rumble, not too much louder than the stock mufflers. Honestly though, I love the loudness of it, that's why I went with glasspacks instead of Flowmasters or the like.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Bought it!

2007 Mazdaspeed 6 GT with 26K miles.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
Congrats! I like the black and the wheels (they look like a nightmare to clean though :frogbon: )

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Cleaned all the poo poo out of the bed and finally got the last new (used) tire on as a guarantee that I wont blow the engine again doing burnouts.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Installed a new intake elbow joint to replace my old worn-out and haphazardly (previous ownerly) cut rubber elbow with god knows how many miles. The new silicon intake elbow was too short so I added a coupler.

Some sawzalling of the old pipe and a few minutes later, I now have more silicon than Michael Jackson's face and more clamps and belts than a Final Fantasy character. What now, bitches?

Pretty Little Rainbow
Dec 27, 2005

by T. Finn

T1g4h posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MG2HOTa5NE

I got my glasspacks installed :smug:

I have cherry bombs with no cats on my Monte, sounds somewhat similar as far as I can tell from the video. You've got to love the popping when you let the gas off at high RPM, although with the super tall gearing in my car I've got to shift manually for it to shift nice otherwise in drive its always at low rpm and my car just sounds like a truck.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Parked it in a weird spot...

Flesh Croissant fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Apr 8, 2011

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

You'll never make it as a thief.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Took the car cover off today for the first time since November!
I only have two jack-stands so I took the two front wheels to get the new tires mounted on them.

She's flying!

The front passenger axle was missing a cotter pin because the 1.25" nut covering it is rusted shut covering the cotter pin hole. Its currently soaking in Liquid Wrench so hopefully I can move it.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Got the motorcycle's clutch un-stuck, and took it for a ride. Gotta get a new rear tire on before I go out again.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Spent the past 4 hours de-winterfying the '11. It's been washed since winter ended, but this was the first good day I had to do a complete wash, clay, polish, and wax.

It'll get another coat of wax tomorrow and it will be good for major detailing work until the fall.

The car is five months old and I clayed it before the winter while putting several coats of wax on it. The clay was FILTHY today when I did the sides of the car. Amazing how much crap gets embedded in your paint.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Changed the oil On the Baja bug. I'd been wondering why there was oil on the rear tube bumper and the bottom of the motor, and it turns out the drain plug was a little loose. I put some thread tape on it to be double sure, then snugged it down good. Also gave the back side of the car a wipe down...

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Changed drat near all of the brake lines in about an hour. Beofre that I've never even touched a fraking tool, VW to their credit made the brake line runs massively easy for the most part.

Tomorrow, finally reattach the rear suspension beam after a week and a half of my car being on axle stands.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Changed the oil On the Baja bug. I'd been wondering why there was oil on the rear tube bumper and the bottom of the motor, and it turns out the drain plug was a little loose. I put some thread tape on it to be double sure, then snugged it down good. Also gave the back side of the car a wipe down...

People actually use the drain plug on T1 motors? I've always just taken the whole strainer plate out and cleaned everything. That big drain plug always seemed too easy to strip to me.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Hypnolobster posted:

People actually use the drain plug on T1 motors? I've always just taken the whole strainer plate out and cleaned everything. That big drain plug always seemed too easy to strip to me.

Well, I saw no reason to take the whole strainer off since the car has a canister filter. I am always wary of over-tightening plugs on every car I change the oil on, but I think one bolt and no prying > 6 bolts and prying plus putting a new gasket on.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Super Aggro Crag posted:

The front passenger axle was missing a cotter pin because the 1.25" nut covering it is rusted shut covering the cotter pin hole. Its currently soaking in Liquid Wrench so hopefully I can move it.

It's metric. Probably 32mm.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Sockington posted:

It's metric. Probably 32mm.

Yeah, I assumed it was metric, but the 1.25" socket I had fit pretty much perfectly. I let it soak in Liquid Wrench for half an hour, had my dad use a crowbar to hold the rotor in place while I banged on the wrench with a rubber mallet and it came right off.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Put new brake lines in, got the rear pressure valve in, got the rear suspension beam in by myself, put the stub axles back on, put the drums back on.....and I've lost a loving bleed screw. 1 goddamned screw, and now I'm desperately trying to find a place that will sell me one at 3.30 on a Sunday that I can get to (i.e. nowhere). Predicting the car will be on axle stands for another goddamn week because I have to be back in Coventry for tomorrow morning. :negative:

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009
I jumped the season and pulled the GSR out of storage and drove it to the shop to get it ready for the summer. Dropped in some new plugs, changed the instrument cluster bulbs to LED, made an appointment to get my ITR hatch and wing painted and discovered that one or more of my injectors are leaking down with the engine off - great. Passed e-test enyways so it's off the the MTO to renew my plates this week.

RapeWhistle
May 26, 2009
changed the oil, rotated the tires, and changed to a stiffer tranny mount in my a4. i can't wait to upgrade my snub and motor mounts. death to drivetrain slop!

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Washed it! Wheels were a bitch though.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Attempted to change the transmission fluid. Did not go so well. Now that I know what to do, I will do it next weekend.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

awesome-express posted:

Well at least you don't look like the vast majority of BMW owners with the filthiest wheels. Do BMW brakes just make more dust or are BMW owners less inclined to wash their cars? This is from my observations living in Los Angeles.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Probably lazy, since a good pressure wash and some towel rubbin' makes everything nice and pretty. It's the 20 spoke rims that make me want to buy a set of 5 spokes. Haven't noticed my wheels getting dirt on them faster than on any other car I've owned though.

EDIT: It seems I have a thing for hard-to-clean wheels :v:

awesome-express fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 10, 2011

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."
Finally changed out the last of the o-rings on my 89 MR2 and started pumping out my AC system. I also spent Saturday getting sunburned out at a pick and pull 2 hours north of me (because there isn't ANYTHING closer). On a complete whim I decided I want to stuff a v6 into my car down the road and might as well start researching it.

Meet my new 1mzfe out of a t-boned 95 Camry. Even if the motor is trash, its a start and only 200 bucks.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Washed the Cobalt and used Turtle Wax Black Detailer on it to try and lose some of the swirl marks in the paint. This was my first experience with quick detailers, and I'm fairly impressed with the results. Not hugely dramatic, but worth the price for the bottle of detailer, which will last many many uses.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Took my new axle back exhaust to the powder coaters to have it coated with a high temp satin black powder I sourced since they didn't have anything high temp. Here's what it looked like before the powdercoat:

http://www.advancespeedshop.com/images/greddy-spectrum-elite-exhaust-08-09-lancer.jpg <- Gaudy as gently caress.

This is what its coated with:

http://www.ohiocustomcoatings.com/servlet/the-237/HIGH-TEMP-BLACK-/Detail

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Apr 10, 2011

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Props on the tilt-shift photography, but it looks like you parked like a douche.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Geirskogul posted:

Props on the tilt-shift photography, but it looks like you parked like a douche.

In his defense, look how the other two cars are parked.

Spammit
Sep 17, 2007

awesome-express posted:

Whats up freshly washed car buddy. (Yes i have scion hubcaps)

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Geirskogul posted:

Thats not tilt shift, its just plain old shallow dof. As for the parking, our company has valets that are intentionally making us park on a bias to make room for double parking another line of cars since our garage is running over capacity. You can clearly see the adjacent cars parked likewise.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Smashed into my 2nd kangaroo in 3 weeks. Poor bullbar :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djhaloeight
Jan 23, 2007

techno mafia.
I installed Spyder halo/angel eye projector headlights in my 300M Special today, along with an aftermarket 8000k HID kit. The Special has an OEM HID setup already, with Valeo projectors, but all the aftermarket D1S bulbs are crap, and fail very soon. They also don't match my HID foglights well either. The highest color temp D1S bulb I can find from a quality manufacturer (sylvania, osram, etc) is 6000k, and they're like $250 a pop. The 8000k and up D1S ebay specials are $40 for a pair, which says something about quality. I've had better luck with my aftermarket foglight HID kit, which has lasted a long time and had no problems with.

So, that was my reasoning in getting the new headlights and an aftermarket kit. The new bulbs in there match my fogs perfectly, and the 'angel eyes' look trick. Plus new headlights freshen up any vehicles appearance.

Here's a quick pic of the angel eyes look. Gives the car a menacing look IMO.

My hosting: