Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paracetamolpill
Jan 6, 2010
College Slice
I saw Christ on a Bike yesterday, I was crying with laughter at the "begat" bit. He seems to have got more stewart lee-like in recent years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Twenty Twelve is so poor because its People Like Us with recurring characters, it doesn't work because they are too absurd to remain believable for more than one episode each.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Fat Turkey posted:

It was never cancelled.

yeah it never got cancelled, as far as I can tell it's always been loved by the critics and somewhere along the way it became hugely popular as well. I'd agree that the stuff they get up to has seemed to get more outlandish and silly but it's still a better comedy than most things on TV

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

chazzared posted:

A bit late to the table on this, I know, but that guy from News of the World on Ten O'Clock Live is an unscrupulous oval office of the worst order

Absolutely. The way he kept rolling his eyes at the camera like "ugh someone's calling me out on being a loving sociopath AGAIN", I could have punched the TV.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Saganism posted:

I saw Christ on a Bike yesterday, I was crying with laughter at the "begat" bit. He seems to have got more stewart lee-like in recent years.

Isn't Christ on a Bike around 10 years old? I know it's been updated, but it's not a new show. No idea how much was changed though, I haven't seen it.

Hoisin Crispy Owl
Jan 1, 2010
Christ on a Bike was his Fringe show in 2001, and I think half of the original show is intact, or he's added a lot more stuff. That being said some of the material can be found in TMWRNJ, and maybe even further back. If anyone gets the chance to see COAB still I highly recommend it. I don't know much about the UK comedy circuit but I'd hazard Richard Herring is a very hardworking comedian and he deserves as much exposure as he can get.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I just saw the trailer for Thor on C4 and i'm shocked at how absurdly bad it is (not the film, but the trailer). There's not a hint of badass in it, there's a narrator spouting some cheesy lines in a "mock hardass" accent and it's just all round terrible.

The other trailers that were online are so much better, is that really what the UK TV is getting?

slotbadger
Jul 19, 2007
hey deadhead - take a bite of peach.

Hoisin Crispy Owl posted:

Christ on a Bike was his Fringe show in 2001, and I think half of the original show is intact, or he's added a lot more stuff. That being said some of the material can be found in TMWRNJ, and maybe even further back. If anyone gets the chance to see COAB still I highly recommend it. I don't know much about the UK comedy circuit but I'd hazard Richard Herring is a very hardworking comedian and he deserves as much exposure as he can get.

In the past five years Herring has put out 5 different stand-up shows (ménage à un, Oh gently caress, I'm 40!, The Headmaster's Son, Hitler Moustache, Christ on a Bike), 2 books (Bye Bye Balham & How Not To Grow Up), Over 200 podcasts (Collings & Herrin, AIOTM), and four radio shows (Richard Herring's Objective, Collins & Herring, TWTTIN, Banter). He also writes a pretty lengthy blog post every bloody day.

Man works hard.

Hoisin Crispy Owl
Jan 1, 2010
Well I knew all that, I just didn't want to embarrass myself in case there were harder working comedians out there on the same level as Rich and end up looking like an idiot.

Highly doubtful, but does anyone else here watch Coach Trip? It's not on the mid-afternoon entertainment level of Come Dine With Me but it passes the time fairly well. If nothing else it's made me vow never to interact with other tourists on holiday.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I watch Coach Trip, I just can't help myself. I had absolutely nothing to do the other day and it was poo poo outside so I watched about 10 episodes on 4od. It's just too easy to watch, and the vote they have every night is always either very polite and apologetic or completely batshit insane and angry, it's beautiful tv.

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
From the Dwarf Fan convention:

New Dwarf in 2012.

- Six 30-minute episodes will make up the series.
- Pre-production October
- Shooting November to January [probably with an audience!]
- Broadcast September 2012
- Model shots would be preferred, but cost could be an issue.
- Hattie ‘may’ be back to play Holly, and Talkie Toaster could be involved.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Kin posted:

I just saw the trailer for Thor on C4 and i'm shocked at how absurdly bad it is (not the film, but the trailer). There's not a hint of badass in it, there's a narrator spouting some cheesy lines in a "mock hardass" accent and it's just all round terrible.

The other trailers that were online are so much better, is that really what the UK TV is getting?

The current Green Lantern trailer showing in cinemas is also terrible compared to the 4 minute long one that was broadcast at ta convention somewhere

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
Well, here's a load of gently caress:

quote:

From the queue for Movie X at Kapow: At the Misfits panel, it was announced that last we’ll see of Robert Sheehan‘s character Nathan in the hit superpowered comedy drama from E4, Misfits, will be an online “farewell episode”.

Well, I suppose he isn’t immortal anymore.

There’s a new replacement character named Rudy for the next, extended series, and is currently being cast.

Sheehan has become a hot Hollywood property after the success of both Misfits and Killing Bono.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/04/10/misfits-season-3-wont-feature-robert-sheehan-new-character-coming/

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Hopefully the quality of writing in Misfits can save it from the effects of his departure.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

What, no mention of Season of the Witch?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Is it just me, or have the BBC got even worse with their inability to leave the camera on a single loving shot rather than spakking about between 5 random angles every two seconds?

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
The most annoying recurring 'joke' in 2012 where the sustainability woman get's really offended when everyone calls it legacy or something. It was pretty unfunny in the first place but they keep bringing it back up.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Hoisin Crispy Owl posted:

Highly doubtful, but does anyone else here watch Coach Trip? It's not on the mid-afternoon entertainment level of Come Dine With Me but it passes the time fairly well. If nothing else it's made me vow never to interact with other tourists on holiday.

Watched it religiously last series. I absolutely loved the crazy drama with Hillary. And batshit Mary with the donkey laugh! Rob and Timmy were deserving winners, bless 'em.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Everyone should go to youtube and watch Attention Scum!, because I just remembered how awesome it is.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Metrication posted:

The most annoying recurring 'joke' in 2012 where the sustainability woman get's really offended when everyone calls it legacy or something. It was pretty unfunny in the first place but they keep bringing it back up.

Or that guy who just sits around infront of a computer and eats stuff. Comedy metal painted the sheen of some sort of precious metal.

spe
Aug 28, 2007

All Stocked Up
Is Destination Titan a repeat? I'm watching it now and its loving mint.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Muppetjedi posted:

From the Dwarf Fan convention:

New Dwarf in 2012.

- Six 30-minute episodes will make up the series.
- Pre-production October
- Shooting November to January [probably with an audience!]
- Broadcast September 2012
- Model shots would be preferred, but cost could be an issue.
- Hattie ‘may’ be back to play Holly, and Talkie Toaster could be involved.

I'm tentatively excited about this, there have been so many disappointments since series 7.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

chazzared posted:

A bit late to the table on this, I know, but that guy from News of the World on Ten O'Clock Live is an unscrupulous oval office of the worst order

His appearance and attire (unwashed, unironed out of fashion suit that doesn't fit right) fit the stereotype well.

'It's like a girlfriend checking her boyfriend's phone!'

Yeah, guys, NOTW editors just wanted to see if Sienna Miller was cheating on them with the Sunday Times.

slotbadger
Jul 19, 2007
hey deadhead - take a bite of peach.

Padje posted:

His appearance and attire (unwashed, unironed out of fashion suit that doesn't fit right) fit the stereotype well.

He even had his tie slightly undone. He would have been chain-smoking if it were allowed in the studio.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

towith posted:

I'm tentatively excited about this, there have been so many disappointments since series 7.
Yeah, things haven't been great. Theres the occasional bright spot but its nowhere near as good as it was the first 6 series. Doug Naylor needs a new writing partner really.

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed
Doug Naylor needs his old writing partner.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Oben posted:

Yeah but I don't think he wants to come back :(

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Oben posted:

Have you read any of Rob Grant's recent books? They're absolute poo poo.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

God can't they just kill Red Dwarf? I used to love it so much but that was a long time ago and many poo poo episodes ago.

Stalingrad
Feb 5, 2011

Padje posted:

'It's like a girlfriend checking her boyfriend's phone!'

I was really hoping at that point that Mitchell would point out that most people consider going through your partners phone and email to also be morally reprehensible, but it never came.
I mean everything he said to back up his terrible view was backed up by something that was also a terrible thing.
The man was a loving moral black hole.

Admittedly, it made the show more interesting, so I hope 10 o'clock live has even more disguting scumbags on in other episodes.

Also, Jimmy Carr sucks, but Lauren Laverne would be ok if they stopped trying to make her funny.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

Stalingrad posted:

I was really hoping at that point that Mitchell would point out that most people consider going through your partners phone and email to also be morally reprehensible, but it never came.
I mean everything he said to back up his terrible view was backed up by something that was also a terrible thing.
The man was a loving moral black hole.

Admittedly, it made the show more interesting, so I hope 10 o'clock live has even more disguting scumbags on in other episodes.

Also, Jimmy Carr sucks, but Lauren Laverne would be ok if they stopped trying to make her funny.

I don't think David Mitchell could get a word in edgeways with John Prescott ranting away beside him.

I wonder if this was part of a big PR thing for John Prescott where he appears alongside total scumbags to make him seem like a rational, likeable human being.

marktheando posted:

God can't they just kill Red Dwarf? I used to love it so much but that was a long time ago and many poo poo episodes ago.

One more series, for old times sake. Who knows, it might be brilliant ... ?

Gram-O-Phone fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Apr 11, 2011

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I'd like this last series to work towards Lister getting back to Earth and finishing the storyline.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Gram-O-Phone posted:

One more series, for old times sake. Who knows, it might be brilliant ... ?

We all know that it won't be though.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

marktheando posted:

We all know that it won't be though.

To be fair for it, a majority of us thought the new Doctor Who was going to turn out to be an embarassing flop.

I'm going to give it a chance anyways.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

SeanBeansShako posted:

To be fair for it, a majority of us thought the new Doctor Who was going to turn out to be an embarassing flop.

I'm going to give it a chance anyways.

The new Doctor Who was a completely new cast and crew and writers though, a fresh start and a new style, yet still acknowledging the original. Not the old actors and writers embarrassing themselves by trying to do the old act they should have put to bed twenty years ago.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

marktheando posted:

The new Doctor Who was a completely new cast and crew and writers though, a fresh start and a new style, yet still acknowledging the original. Not the old actors and writers embarrassing themselves by trying to do the old act they should have put to bed twenty years ago.

Fair enough, though it all comes down to somebody who'll write this new series as something new instead of just copying the older episodes and shows us said aged actors characters have developed and Lister isn't simply himself a few decades earlier.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Anybody else pumped about the last ever Waking the Dead tonight? The plot's have been completely absurd this series (one the the killers was The Scarecrow, and that was the most realistic) but Boyd is possibly the baddest motherfucker to have graced the BBC. The only plausible end for him is to fly completely off the rails and go out in a blaze of glory. And it's crushing.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

SeanBeansShako posted:

To be fair for it, a majority of us thought the new Doctor Who was going to turn out to be an embarassing plop.

It is.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Kin posted:

It is.

Well sure you could describe a lot of David Tennant episodes that way (by no means all of them though) but series five was a massive improvement. Matt Smith and Steven Moffat are a lot better than David Tenant and Russell T Davies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

SeanBeansShako posted:

I'd like this last series to work towards Lister getting back to Earth and finishing the storyline.

That storyline was dropped by series 3. Give it up.