Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Jesus man that loving sucks :( and it forced me to check my own camera to see if the CF card was in it.

I'm glad it was because I just got confirmation from Man Overboard that I have a photo pass for the show tonight at the Rock and Roll Hotel in DC. It's the DC stop of the PMA Tour with Senses Fail headlining and The Ghost Inside, Man Overboard and Transit supporting. I'm wicked stoked.

*edit* hey a new page! This is from the last time I shot The Ghost Inside

The Ghost Inside-55 by Ethan Hansen Photography, on Flickr

And this is the venue. Looks like I'm shooting from the stage or fighting the crowd

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Apr 7, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard
Jan 9, 2007

pr0digal posted:

I just got an e-mail from the art director of Alternative Press saying that they want to publish one of my photos in the next issue.

My night has been made

This photo

Transit-61 by Ethan Hansen Photography, on Flickr

congrats man, that pic is totally rad :) !

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007
World Famous in New Zealand
Got to see The Books last night, in a modern art museum which I thought was appropriate. Killer show, I honestly didn't think their stuff could be played live. Apparently it can, you just have to have a group of insanely talented people to do it.

An Evening With The Books-20110406-002 by M Bradshaw, on Flickr

An Evening With The Books-20110406-004 by M Bradshaw, on Flickr

An Evening With The Books-20110406-009 by M Bradshaw, on Flickr

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
I'm still in the process of sorting my shots from last night but here's one of the lead singer of Transit

Joe Boynton of Transit by Ethan Hansen Photography, on Flickr

And one of Man Overboard

Man Overboard Preview by Ethan Hansen Photography, on Flickr

And a bonus shot of Senses Fail

Senses Fail Preview by Ethan Hansen Photography, on Flickr

*edit* full set can be found here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ehansenphoto/collections/72157626458576206/

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Apr 9, 2011

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.
I seem to have fallen into the classic trap.

A band that I've befriended since moving to Melbourne are launching their second EP. I've shot their shows many times for free, and I recently shot their EP cover for free (the main photos on their website below), as a 'thank you' for getting me into a bunch of Bon Jovi shows (they supported BJ while he was in Melbourne and I shot both them and BJ on those nights).

Now they're wanting me to shoot the EP artwork (sleeve foldouts I assume). I'd kinda like to make some money off it, but I don't want to be a dick.

http://www.thescarletsrock.com/

I don't really like the idea of doing promos for free (they get money out of it, why can't I). Would it be worth the potential backlash for a few bucks? Not sure what kind of usage rights are typically pursued by photogs in these scenarios.

Cyberbob fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Apr 11, 2011

Rukes
Jan 1, 2001

Yes, The Rukes

I, Butthole posted:

Hey Rukes, not sure if you still read this thread; are you heading down Australia-way with Deadmau5 for Creamfields?

Just letting you know I will be in Australia for that! Doing the full Pacific rim tour; full schedule is on https://www.rukes.com. Send me an email before I get to where you are at, and we can figure something out!

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Rukes posted:

Just letting you know I will be in Australia for that! Doing the full Pacific rim tour; full schedule is on https://www.rukes.com. Send me an email before I get to where you are at, and we can figure something out!

looks like you'll be in Portland while I'm at Coachella. Let me know if you need any recommendations for restaurants or whatever in PDX, or if you stop by the Ace Hotel while you're in Palm Springs. I won't actually be able to make it out to the festival this year, going to be shooting the parties at the Ace the whole time.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Rukes posted:

Email sent! Forgot to mention who I am on here, so this is it!

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.
I go to lots of shows in Rochester and only recently started shooting local gigs. I need some work on lighting/camera settings for these kinds of situations though and I want to get some pointers before I go shoot a couple more shows this weekend. Would people mind if I posted some shots here for critique?

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

thevoiceofdog posted:

I go to lots of shows in Rochester and only recently started shooting local gigs. I need some work on lighting/camera settings for these kinds of situations though and I want to get some pointers before I go shoot a couple more shows this weekend. Would people mind if I posted some shots here for critique?

Go ahead! That's what this thread is for. Though you'll probably get a couple of different answers as we all have different shooting styles

A Wizard
Jan 9, 2007
Took some snaps last friday

yellowgroove b+w by james.lawlor, on Flickr

Matt Hill Quintet by james.lawlor, on Flickr

would love some pointers especially on the editing side of things :)

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

A Wizard posted:

Took some snaps last friday

yellowgroove b+w by james.lawlor, on Flickr

Matt Hill Quintet by james.lawlor, on Flickr

would love some pointers especially on the editing side of things :)

I think you've got a pretty good handle on things. I really like the first one.

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.

HostileHangover (113 of 114) by brandonkschwartz, on Flickr

HostileHangover (81 of 114) by brandonkschwartz, on Flickr

HostileHangover (29 of 114) by brandonkschwartz, on Flickr

HostileHangover (17 of 114) by brandonkschwartz, on Flickr

My main issue is in how to light this particular setup, where I can move anywhere around (or even on) the stage and use flash as much as I want--I basically have total freedom at these gigs. I feel like I wasn't getting enough light from the flash (set vertical with an index card strapped to it for bounce) and the colored stage lights were showing up too much on the subject as a result. Do you think I should increase the flash +1 EV or rely more on the stage lights for lighting? Either way I probably need to go with faster shutter speeds, some of these have a bit too much blur.

The stage lights themselves are really hot and very difficult to keep out of the frame, given how much the performers move on stage. Do you guys find them distracting when they're in the shot? I haven't done much post work on these so I could obviously dodge those a bit.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

Rukes posted:

Also dropped you a line for Sydney :)

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

thevoiceofdog posted:

My main issue is in how to light this particular setup, where I can move anywhere around (or even on) the stage and use flash as much as I want--I basically have total freedom at these gigs. I feel like I wasn't getting enough light from the flash (set vertical with an index card strapped to it for bounce) and the colored stage lights were showing up too much on the subject as a result. Do you think I should increase the flash +1 EV or rely more on the stage lights for lighting? Either way I probably need to go with faster shutter speeds, some of these have a bit too much blur.
Bring your exposure down 1 stop, let the flash head pick it up through TTL. Done.

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.
:doh: I always forget I have that feature when I need it the most, thanks a lot. Any other comments about the images?

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

My problem is you dancing all the time

evil_bunnY posted:

Bring your exposure down 1 stop, let the flash head pick it up through TTL. Done.

If you are shooting in Av/Tv/etc (anything but manual) however, you will need to to bring your flash exposure compensation up 1 stop. Your global underexposure affects flash output as well.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
If you want to avoid that washed-out look on skin, try putting a tungsten gel on your flash.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
Put in for media credentials for a July concert in Toledo with Jack's Mannequin. The venue is... not very nice... but we'll see what happens.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

HPL posted:

If you want to avoid that washed-out look on skin, try putting a tungsten gel on your flash.

Thanks for the advice! Looks like I'm grabbing my gel pack when I go home next

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

My problem is you dancing all the time
Depending on your flash power, a full CTO may be a little too much orange. I usually just use a 1/4 CTO, but if you're really blasting the power you'll need a more orange gel to get the color saturation back in.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

So I'm considering shooting a concert from the audience since I'm a very raw amateur and not good enough for concert passes and things like that.

Thing is that I have no idea how to go about this besdies "Show up, take pictures."

I'm guessing I need to do the following?

1. Contact the venue and see if they have a policy regarding DSLRs (I'll be shooting with a Nikon D80) and flashes (I have an SB-600 with a diffuser that may prove useful)

2. Make sure I've got the proper lenses (I've got a Nikon 50m F/1.8 and hopefully my Tamron f/2.8 17-50mm will arrive by the time this rolls around. I saw these two recommended earlier in the thread so I think I'm good to go here)

3. Show up early so I can get a good spot near the stage and check out the lighting.

4. Press button shoot pictures.

It's a free show at a bar this upcoming Wednesday (http://www.aestheticized.com/index.php?id=linkanr) so I'm guessing it won't be too crowded, which should make getting shots easier.

Is this it? Am I missing something?

Zikan fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Apr 16, 2011

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
You definitely need to find out the rules about 'professional' photography and using a flash from the venue and the band (I know some venues allow it, but bands don't a lot of the time). A lot of bar venues probably don't care at all, I've never tried at my local bar/venue cause I'm always getting way too drunk there and don't want to break my camera.

I've never shot a concert in my life, but The Black Angels gave me a photo-pass to their concert tomorrow night, and I'm so loving stoked, and honored that my first Concert shoot is The Black Angels. So don't think 'I need to break in with small gigs cause I probably suck' . I mean, the Black Angels aren't doing shows like The Flaming Lips, but they're still bigger than a lot of bands and go on regular tours, and they're playing the same venue Modest Mouse played a lot before they got super popular. (Southgate House, I look at it as in between your local bar and a big concert venue/pavilion)

I just took advice from the OP, emailed the managers/PR people as if I knew what I was doing, and she just said 'thanks for supporting the band! I'll make sure you're on the list!' So...just ask the venue what their rules are, and ask whatever band is playing. Can't hurt.

RizieN fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 16, 2011

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
some photos of hosed Up playing at the Ace Hotel Coachella party last night. so fun to shoot if you ever get the change.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
I had a photo pass to shoot Ben Kweller and Pete Yorn last night, but when I showed up, the tour manager for Pete Yorn had "cancelled all press passes" and verily, there wasn't anyone with a DSLR taking pictures. Even my music photog friend at the Observer couldn't get in with a camera. Really weird.

I need a bridge camera of some kind. How's the Fuji x100 coming along?

Anyways, I did manage to shoot a boat party earlier today.

It was pretty awesome.

http://www.tfatf.com/#/album/0ff04l/

Next week, Yelle, Cut Copy, CSS/Sleigh Bells,

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.

MMD3 posted:

some photos of hosed Up playing at the Ace Hotel Coachella party last night. so fun to shoot if you ever get the change.

This looks great, both show itself and the lighting. Also kinda scary, but in a fun way.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
drat I would not be hugging a sweaty topless grizzly bear like that, haha...

I've got a question regarding 'assignments'...Pitchfork Music Festival won't consider me for a photo-pass unless I have an assignment. Are there easy ways to get an assignment from...anyone? I emailed back asking if University/School papers would be considered for Photo-Passes, if so then I'm pretty cool with a fine arts professor who might help forge an assignment, but it'd be pretty cool to have a legitimate assignment.

edit;

quote:

Freelancer: If you are a freelancer, please have an assigning editor submit the above request to me.

College: If you represent a college publication or radio station, please have an assigning editor submit the request to me. In addition to the information noted above, please note the size of your school's student body.

Also, please be sure to note if you are also requesting a pass to bring in a camera with a removable lens or a video camera. Photo passes will only be given to those using cameras with removable lenses, and only those with photo passes will be allowed into the pit. The Pitchfork Music Festival does not allow any filming of performances.

Soooo...I need to talk to this professor to talk to the Unversity Paper editor...

RizieN fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Apr 17, 2011

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

RizieN posted:

drat I would not be hugging a sweaty topless grizzly bear like that, haha...

I've got a question regarding 'assignments'...Pitchfork Music Festival won't consider me for a photo-pass unless I have an assignment. Are there easy ways to get an assignment from...anyone? I emailed back asking if University/School papers would be considered for Photo-Passes, if so then I'm pretty cool with a fine arts professor who might help forge an assignment, but it'd be pretty cool to have a legitimate assignment.

edit;

Soooo...I need to talk to this professor to talk to the Unversity Paper editor...

Talk to the editor and see if you can land an assignment covering the show and then start the ball rolling

*edit* as much as I love shooting tiny venues it can pose problematic sometimes. If it weren't for the bass on the side I would have just cropped it

Man Overboard by Ethan Hansen Photography, on Flickr

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Apr 18, 2011

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
The Blank Angels concert made me really really want a D7000 for the High Iso performance...my D80 is showing its age :(

Shot like...over a thousand photos and I like maybe 20 of them. Also shouldn't have gotten so trashed, but thats the story of my life. They did let me use flash though, but said sparingly, so I tried to not use it much at all, however, they did have strobe lights that went nuts and provided some cool shots. But the red and blue lights pretty much force me into B&W.

BA-1-24 by zachary.spradlin, on Flickr

BA-1-23 by zachary.spradlin, on Flickr

BA-1-21 by zachary.spradlin, on Flickr

BA-1-17 by zachary.spradlin, on Flickr

BA-1-12 by zachary.spradlin, on Flickr

BA-1-11 by zachary.spradlin, on Flickr

BA-1-28 by zachary.spradlin, on Flickr

Sorry for the photodump, but those are pretty much the only keepers.

RizieN fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 20, 2011

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
Lead Singer. Front Row. Stage Dive. Boot to the Face.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

dunkman posted:

better than boot to the camera?

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.

dunkman posted:

This requires a bit more detail.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

MMD3 posted:

better than boot to the camera?
I like my face the way it is, thank you very much.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally

thevoiceofdog posted:

This requires a bit more detail.

I was up against the stage at the Naked & Famous / Holy Ghost / Foals / Cut Copy show, and the lead singer of Foals stage dove during the last song. Then he crowd surfed around and eventually made it up on to the Balcony, and played from there.

Here are some pics completely unedited.

IMG_3811.jpg by dunx17, on Flickr

IMG_3815.jpg by dunx17, on Flickr

IMG_3830.jpg by dunx17, on Flickr

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Do you usually shoot at 1/800s and 12,800 ISO? Seems like overkill kinda.. but hey to each their own.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally

RangerScum posted:

Do you usually shoot at 1/800s and 12,800 ISO? Seems like overkill kinda.. but hey to each their own.

After getting kicked in the face, I just rocked it to highest ISO, held the camera over my head and shot a bunch of shots.

For most of the show, I was shooting at 800 or so.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
The Naked & Famous | Holy Ghost | Foals | Cut Copy

http://www.tfatf.com/album/619cdi

IMG_3416.jpg by dunx17, on Flickr

IMG_3431.jpg by dunx17, on Flickr

IMG_3487.jpg by dunx17, on Flickr

IMG_3563.jpg by dunx17, on Flickr

IMG_3622.jpg by dunx17, on Flickr

IMG_3716.jpg by dunx17, on Flickr

IMG_3743.jpg by dunx17, on Flickr

IMG_3864.jpg by dunx17, on Flickr

IMG_3962.jpg by dunx17, on Flickr

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
Sleigh Bells and CSS

http://www.tfatf.com/album/d8fb2n

IMG_4168.jpg by dunx17, on Flickr

IMG_4229.jpg by dunx17, on Flickr

IMG_4709.jpg by dunx17, on Flickr

IMG_4803.jpg by dunx17, on Flickr

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Trying to make the most out of shooting at ISO 6400 at a punk show in the basement of a tiny bar. The band was Off! but I never even made it to the front of the crowd to see them really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
What do you guys do with some great concert shots (like the one of the singer laying down, thats awesome)? Do you send the band's PR people a link to a gallery and hope they wanna use one? Just have it for personal use? Or are you doing assignments for publications?