Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Civil posted:

I'm tempted to go for CM7 final, but the nightly I'm using (~2-3 weeks ago) is solid as a rock, and I don't want to bother backing up and restoring all my apps. It's a hard case to make.

You don't have to restore though? Don't wipe data when you install the final.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007
My god, I love taking the jump from standard modified roms to CM. Was floored when I did it on my Hero and I just took the jump on my Shift and I still am impressed. However I have an issue. Titanium Backup cannot restore my apps or data. If I attempt to restore both app and data, TB says that it failed. If I just restore the app, it says it completed, however I cannot find the app installed. What is causing this?

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk
It fails with every app? How many have you tried?

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

I wish my goddamn Epic wasn't the redheaded stepchild of the good phone universe.

are there any actually good GB roms for the phone? Anything at all?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
This there a changelog from CM7 RC4 to the 7 final? I can only find a changelog from 6 to 7.

Just wondering if I go ahead and flash from RC4 is all.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Civil posted:

I'm tempted to go for CM7 final, but the nightly I'm using (~2-3 weeks ago) is solid as a rock, and I don't want to bother backing up and restoring all my apps. It's a hard case to make.
Man, I wish CM7 was "solid as a rock" for me, but it's nowhere near as reliable as CM6 was. I've got a litany of issues with it:
  • Call wonkiness
  • Broken lockscreen toggle
  • Music player just stops sometimes, lockscreen controls won't restart it
  • Wifi drivers are hosed, such that if it goes screen-off, the connection freezes
There are others, but these are the ones that come to mind. What's worse is that they're all known issues (except the music player) on the bugtracker, so it's not like I'm the only one. With CM6, I never got the feeling I was running a custom ROM; with CM7 I feel like I'm reminded every time I touch the phone.

I'm sure it will get better, but to me this hardly feels "stable".

Red_Fred posted:

This there a changelog from CM7 RC4 to the 7 final? I can only find a changelog from 6 to 7.

Just wondering if I go ahead and flash from RC4 is all.
Here you go.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Civil posted:

You don't have to back up/restore apps. You can just flash the zip and clear the cache. No need to wipe /data/.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Telex posted:

I wish my goddamn Epic wasn't the redheaded stepchild of the good phone universe.

are there any actually good GB roms for the phone? Anything at all?

Sup buyer's remorse buddy. They've got a CM7 alpha for the phone that is stunningly stable, but it's missing some rather important features (GPS, Camera, MMS, Hands-free BT [apparently BT pairing for other peripherals is OK], and of course 4G).

I tried it, it's remarkably good for an alpha, but I switched back to the Froyo Syndicate Rom because I want a working camera/GPS. MMS is no big deal for me and I don't use hands-free, and 4G is not yet here in Omaha.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Drevoak posted:

My god, I love taking the jump from standard modified roms to CM. Was floored when I did it on my Hero and I just took the jump on my Shift and I still am impressed. However I have an issue. Titanium Backup cannot restore my apps or data. If I attempt to restore both app and data, TB says that it failed. If I just restore the app, it says it completed, however I cannot find the app installed. What is causing this?
There's some setting TB needs on in order to work right, I wanna say debugging or something.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

nate fisher posted:

All I did was flash it in recovery mode. Honestly all I did before flashing it was do back-up. I didn't clear anything.

Also if you are using the RC4 version you can't be on any of the nightly's. I had to go restore back to the stable build of RC4 to get it to work right.

I just downloaded it again and tried flashing it. It restarted my phone when I went to turn off Wi-Fi like it did before.

Any other suggestions? Clear cache before flash? How do I even do that?

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
So far CM7 has been fine, but the wow factor is reduced after having used Gingerbread on MIUI for a week and a half. I also experienced a bunch of annoying force closes at first.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Thunderbolt is not included in this version of CM :(

http://twitter.com/cyanogen/status/57270837774008320

Also, for anyone trying to root their Thunderbolt, this method is awesome: http://fryetech.com/?p=32

I tried this today, had a few problems with my drivers, and then the guy literally walked me through the entire process on skype. Now there's someone who gives a poo poo about the (free) products he puts out.

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
Does anyone know of an app that lets you mark your current gps location then bring it up later on google maps for you to navigate back to? For example marking where you parked in a huge parking lot.

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

madkapitolist posted:

Does anyone know of an app that lets you mark your current gps location then bring it up later on google maps for you to navigate back to? For example marking where you parked in a huge parking lot.

Just star your location in Maps.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

madkapitolist posted:

CarDar is good for this.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

quadratic posted:

I do this. You can star your current location in maps, then hit the star later and get directions.

chomper
Aug 16, 2007

Los Bastardos
Me wanty CM7 final. :(

There is a sticky in the CyanogenMOD Motorola Droid forum that said it's uncertain when a final will be released, as "development is, and always will be, slow for the Moto Droid." :ohdear:

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

chomper posted:

There is a sticky in the CyanogenMOD Motorola Droid forum that said it's uncertain when a final will be released, as "development is, and always will be, slow for the Moto Droid." :ohdear:

Is there a reason for this other than the phone's age and relative lack of power?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Penguissimo posted:

Is there a reason for this other than the phone's age and relative lack of power?
I would guess that, as a Motorola device, it's a bit more different than HTC devices are with respect to each other and, thus, requires more of a maintenance effort. Perhaps it would be less of an issue if the slew of the other Motorola devices on the market could actually run CyanogenMod, and attract development effort.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
Just upgraded to CM7.0 from RC1 and it looks like my biggest problem is fixed (though it probably was in the later RCs I guess). The GPS-lock is near instant now.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Stevie Lee posted:

Just upgraded to CM7.0 from RC1 and it looks like my biggest problem is fixed (though it probably was in the later RCs I guess). The GPS-lock is near instant now.

I haven't tried using navigation, but I seem to get a pretty much instant lock on RC4. I'll go ahead and load Final later today, probably.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
I wish CM7 was out for the Fascinate :(

I love my Fascinate but I do miss CM a whole bunch, it is such an awesome Rom and I am amazed that it hasn't been ported to the Fascinate.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Codiusprime posted:

Are you running it on the Fascinate? The only port I saw for the Fascinate had a ton of stuff broken.

No, I'm running it on a GTab. I'm running Superclean 2.9.2 on the Fascinate.

Edit:

Codiusprime posted:

I love my Fascinate but I do miss CM a whole bunch, it is such an awesome Rom and I am amazed that it hasn't been ported to the Fascinate.

It's not that people aren't working on porting to the Fascinate, it's that Samsung hosed the code so far off base that it's very difficult to get things working on it. The only real ROMs for Fascinate right now are "zip ROMs" which are compiled from Samsung's code but with things adjusted, tweaked, etc.

Basically we chose poorly as far as rooting phones goes. That said, Superclean Froyo is a good ROM and I'm happy enough to have moved up to 2.2 from the 2.1 stock ROM. Also, I do really like the phone, it's just a shame it can't run Gingerbread yet.

Paramemetic fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Apr 11, 2011

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006

quadratic posted:

Wow very simple good idea... Thanks

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Codiusprime posted:

That's due to Samsung devices being "strange" from a software/porting/maintenance perspective, and the CDMA Galaxy S devices being incompatible with the more-popular GSM ones.

There is a semi-servicable CM7 port to the Epic, but it's particularly lacking GPS and WiMAX. I imagine it could be ported to the Fascinate/Mesmerize with some work, but would still lack GPS support.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Codiusprime posted:

To describe Samsung's development process as a clusterfuck is to pull punches, and also they refuse to open source a whole bunch of their drivers.

Okay, only half beaten. And it's not any better from the GSM end - us Captivate users have to give up the camera (or at least any app that uses it other than the photo app), and Vibrant users still have Vibrants :mmmsmug:

This is why I went back to Serendipity.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 11, 2011

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Paramemetic posted:

It's not that people aren't working on porting to the Fascinate, it's that Samsung hosed the code so far off base that it's very difficult to get things working on it. The only real ROMs for Fascinate right now are "zip ROMs" which are compiled from Samsung's code but with things adjusted, tweaked, etc.

Basically we chose poorly as far as rooting phones goes. That said, Superclean Froyo is a good ROM and I'm happy enough to have moved up to 2.2 from the 2.1 stock ROM. Also, I do really like the phone, it's just a shame it can't run Gingerbread yet.

This is pretty depressing, for me it was either this or a DX and the situation with the DX is even worse if I understand correctly (locked boot loader and such). I just want a phone with nice hardware that isn't completely locked down, or a phone that is made by a company that supports their phones for longer than a week after they are released. I knew there was a reason I swore I would never buy a Sammy phone if I had another option.

I am running Super Clean right now and I like it just fine, I just wish we had some more options. There is a port of CM7 right now but it seems pretty out of date and also some major things aren't working. Yea, I am loving the phone and as long as Superclean stays stable I don't really see a need to switch roms (not that there is really anything to switch to).

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

That's a side effect of the marijuana poisoning.
Anyone had a chance to try the final cm on a desire, I'm running ginger villain at the moment and so far the only problem is a complete lack of gps, just wondered how pure cm compared in terms of stability. Is this version supposed to be entirely major bug free now?

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Solly posted:

Anyone had a chance to try the final cm on a desire, I'm running ginger villain at the moment and so far the only problem is a complete lack of gps, just wondered how pure cm compared in terms of stability. Is this version supposed to be entirely major bug free now?

A Desire? No, a Desire HD (or really an Inspire 4G and working flawlessly), yes. My cousin has the Desire running CM7 stable and he's been quite happy with it. He hasn't bitched at me about any problems (he's not really a techy, so if he breaks it I end up fixing it) so there must not be anything terribly broken or I'd have heard about it by now.

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
i'll do a mothafuckin' walk-by
Outside of the expected UI changes and the no-Sense thing, is there a significant difference between CM and Fresh on an HTC Evo? My phone's perfectly functional and stable as it is, but I'm getting an itch to wipe it and try something new.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

diegetic poster posted:

Outside of the expected UI changes and the no-Sense thing, is there a significant difference between CM and Fresh on an HTC Evo? My phone's perfectly functional and stable as it is, but I'm getting an itch to wipe it and try something new.

The no-Sense thing is probably more significant than you realize if you haven't tried one of those ROMs before. I was pretty happy with Fresh, but just installing one of the early nightly builds of CM7 gave me a noticeable performance boost on my EVO. Your mileage may, of course, vary.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Is there a decent, rootable phone that I can run CM7 on the Verizon network? I've been disappointed with the Droid X (great hardware, but the stock ROM and custom ROMs are lackluster coming from CM7.) My contract is almost up with VZ and I'm wondering if it is time to jump ship to another provider with root-friendly phones.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Solly posted:

I had GPS problems on my desire when I installed CM7 RC1 (just about to update to the final).

Installing the app GPS Status, using it to clear GPS cache data (or something like that) then rebooting got the GPS back working again.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Just updated to CM7 and it seems to be fine...except apps I'd moved to the SD card aren't showing a installed.

Is this expected? Is there a quick way of installing them all?

edit: and now they're all there. Must just take a while to 'find' them I suppose.

Pissflaps fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Apr 11, 2011

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I've half bricked my phone using Odin. I'm attempting to fix the issue but I literally lost my backups (Started at my dads house, backed up stuff onto a thumbdrive, lost the thumbdrive!?)

So, I'm looking for the stock firmware/rom for my phone. A Samsung Galaxy S I9000. The Canadian Bell version of the phone, if that makes any difference (And I'm pretty sure it does, as I believe that's where my troubles started)

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Gyshall posted:

Is there a decent, rootable phone that I can run CM7 on the Verizon network? I've been disappointed with the Droid X (great hardware, but the stock ROM and custom ROMs are lackluster coming from CM7.) My contract is almost up with VZ and I'm wondering if it is time to jump ship to another provider with root-friendly phones.

Right now I'm pretty sure Verizon does not have a phone with a CM7 port, I bought the Fascinate off ebay as a hold me over phone till I can officially upgrade and was disappointed to see that there wasn't a port (yes yes I know there is but there are to many things broken). I am happy with the Fascinate running a cut and paste rom but I do really miss CM7, maybe the Thunderbolt will get a port?

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

The General posted:

I've half bricked my phone using Odin. I'm attempting to fix the issue but I literally lost my backups (Started at my dads house, backed up stuff onto a thumbdrive, lost the thumbdrive!?)

So, I'm looking for the stock firmware/rom for my phone. A Samsung Galaxy S I9000. The Canadian Bell version of the phone, if that makes any difference (And I'm pretty sure it does, as I believe that's where my troubles started)

I pretty much hate using Odin.

You would probably have better luck looking on the XDA forums or some forums specifically for your phone. Not saying that someone on here couldn't point you in the right direction but you might get a slightly quicker and more thorough response.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

The General posted:

This site might have what you're looking for? I don't have any of these phones, so I haven't tested it out. I believe I got the link from Android Central.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

diegetic poster posted:

I dunno what's in fresh, but CM adds a ton over stock, including custom power control widget, power control in the notification tray, swipe to dismiss, 360 degree rotation, built in overclocking, massive performance improvements at a code level, etc etc. You can look it up, but it adds a ton of features over even stock SenseUI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teamdest
Jul 1, 2007

Gyshall posted:

The Droid Incredible is rootable, unlocked bootloader and has CM7 final out. I'm using it at the moment, and it's rock-solid. Good phone, too.