Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saga
Aug 17, 2009

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

How about three days straight? The F2 really is decent at touring.

My bike's the black one. That picture was taken in Key West. I live in Connecticut. Was pretty comfortable.

Did you take the main stand off yours?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Saga posted:

Did you take the main stand off yours?

It was removed by a PO because it was used as a trackbike. You can also see a black aftermarket clutch cover in that picture that was installed by him. I didn't even know F2s had center stands and had to look it up.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

It was removed by a PO because it was used as a trackbike. You can also see a black aftermarket clutch cover in that picture that was installed by him. I didn't even know F2s had center stands and had to look it up.

Ah, good. I was just wondering if it was a cornering hazard really. The F3's stand seemed scarily low, not helped by the collapsed shock.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I'll have to check if mine has it installed.

My experience with centerstands is they only drag if you're off the gas. If you pick the bike up on maintenance throttle, things typically don't drag.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Ahhhhhhhh gently caress the F2 was so good the shop's mechanic bought it for himself. Dammit.

Worse luck, having reminded myself what the seating position on 918 blades and GSX-Rs is like, I definitely can't think of anything in the right price bracket that's likely to suit my riding better than a CBR 6 or a ZX6R-G.

I might end up going for a cheap-ish F3 after all. Unfortunately they're all going to cost me more than the price of a set of used F2.5/F3 forks!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Fuuuuckkkk honda. Seriously. gently caress their clutch design. WHY THE gently caress WOULD YOU DESIGN IT THAT WAY. :argh:

Also they have the worst factory repair manuals ever. gently caress those guys.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Ah but you see

Silver posted:

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOONDA:fap:

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Z3n posted:

Fuuuuckkkk honda. Seriously. gently caress their clutch design. WHY THE gently caress WOULD YOU DESIGN IT THAT WAY. :argh:

Also they have the worst factory repair manuals ever. gently caress those guys.

Was in my local shop the other day and they were swearing at an 893 blade. Frame crossmember conveniently located over plug holes. It appeared to have weird rubber flaps over the valve cover (inside the frame) just to make the job harder.

Found what looks like a very clean '94 F2 with perfect plastics in the black with multi-coloured stripes livery. Going to check it out Saturday if it doesn't get sold in the mean time.

e: or rather the black and purple:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Saga posted:

Was in my local shop the other day and they were swearing at an 893 blade. Frame crossmember conveniently located over plug holes. It appeared to have weird rubber flaps over the valve cover (inside the frame) just to make the job harder.

Found what looks like a very clean '94 F2 with perfect plastics in the black with multi-coloured stripes livery. Going to check it out Saturday if it doesn't get sold in the mean time.

e: or rather the black and purple:

I'm convinced Sochiro as a child had an evil stepfather who was a mechanic, and he's poured all of his rage against their profession into his bikes.

My 929 had the same setup. Frame crossbrace right over the spark plug holes.

Honestly, I could understand if there was some concrete advantage to doing things the way they do. But why intentionally design a clutch where you can't remove the clutch plates without removing the inner basket? Why design it such that you can remove the springs and crossbrace for the springs, but you can't remove the clutch pack at the same time? Why design it so that you have to have the clutch holder tool just to remove the clutch pack? And then why design it such that when you reassemble, 3 out of 4 of the ways to put the 2 parts of the inner clutch assembly together mean that the clutch will remain disengaged forever, despite the lever feeling like it's engaging and disengaging as normal?

Just...why. WHY?!?!

Z3n fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Apr 8, 2011

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Oh god, do I sell the CBR to a newb?

Do I accept a deposit when he, in all likelyhood, can't afford gear?

He's taking the MSF at least, but those fairings are so pretty...

:sigh:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Find / gift him some gear, at least he's not buying a new 600. :(
On that note, I feel really bad encouraging people to start to ride or selling new riders my bikes. I've been a first responder to a fatal newb accident and I'd feel even worse if it happened again.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

Find / gift him some gear, at least he's not buying a new 600 :(

I'm gonna meet up with him tomorrow, in all likelyhood, I'll buy him lunch, and tell him to go buy another, cheaper bike, and spend the rest of his money on gear. He doesn't have any friends who ride either, although that might be a blessing in disguise.

And in between that post and this one I had another guy who was like "Hey, I'm a novice rider but I really want your bike, can I put a deposit on it to have a friend pick it up in a week and a half?".

:sigh:

I've got another guy who wants to buy it for his wife, he's been riding for 20 years and knows his stuff. He can't look at it until Friday though, but both of the guys that I thought would pick it up this weekend flaked out.

I guess this is why I part out bikes, so I don't have to deal with the emotional concerns of selling a bike to a newb. Why do I attract new riders to all the bikes I sell...need to start selling ZX10s or something.

I still occasionally wonder what happened to the guy I sold my Triumph to...

quote:

On that note, I feel really bad encouraging people to start to ride or selling new riders my bikes. I've been a first responder to a fatal newb accident and I'd feel even worse if it happened again.

Yeah, I've seen too many accidents. My friend just met a girl who's first bike is a ZX7R, and she wadded it into a fence so hard the front tire popped off the bead. My riding mentor is looking over the bike for her and stuff but the entire thing is just one huge :saddowns:

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Bring it to the bay area and i'll give you 1800$ for the F2 :3

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

infraboy posted:

Bring it to the bay area and i'll give you 1800$ for the F2 :3

$2200 and I'll ride it to your doorstep. Conan doesn't need to know.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Post it to me in small pieces. :D

I've agreed a price on the black/purple '94 F2 pictured a few posts previously. It's not running perfectly (just slightly woolly at the bottom end - I suspect it's just the pilot circuit needs cleaning out as it performs fine under load) but is very shiny and hasn't been thrown down the road, unlike just about every other bike I've looked at in this price range. I got a good discount, so if I hate it I can sell it on without any trouble. The shock appears to still be holding itself up, which is better than the more expensive F3 I was looking at.

Once I have a deposit on it, it will be time to hunt up some pre-crashed plastic, a dented tank and of course the Hello Kitty stencil and matt black rattle can. Only thing that needs changing is the el cheapo Maxxis supermaxxxxxxx on the front (BT010 on the back should be fine). I have a used Pilot Power in the garage that should fit. I'm going to pull the Ohlins off my Hornet before sale and that should hopefully fund a shiny new Nitron "sport shock" (no remote reservoir, but I bet it will still beat the original shock) of bling +2. Of course if anyone has a Fox Twin Clicker for sale, I may buy one out of nostalgia.

Some buddies of mine have been looking for a track bike, so hopefully I can spur them into picking up something similar and we'll get out to the track in a month or so for some beater racing (ride report to follow).

Z3n, I've read a couple random forum posts about putting a floating disc kit on the F2. Does that solve the warping or do you need the F3 calipers in practice? As a former 90s Yamaha owner I know all about warping discs every few months and don't really want to experience it again. That poo poo is expensive.

Also Z3n and FWB, any suggestions for good street rubber - I'm a Metzeler/Pirelli or Dunlop sort of guy.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

I liked the Pilot Powers for trackdays/street use, but I don't know what you would want for actual racing if you want to get into that. Probably takeoffs :). Also, at least where I live, F2s can run in some of the same classes as twin bikes because of their linear power curve and similar horsepower.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

I liked the Pilot Powers for trackdays/street use, but I don't know what you would want for actual racing if you want to get into that. Probably takeoffs :). Also, at least where I live, F2s can run in some of the same classes as twin bikes because of their linear power curve and similar horsepower.

No, just trackdays and commuting. The Powers worked well on the Hornet and I have a spare part-worn front from it that I could put on. Not sure I trust a Maxxis tyre for the front!

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Bunway Airlines posted:

$2200 and I'll ride it to your doorstep. Conan doesn't need to know.

Sounds like the f2 is causing marital tension :v:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Saga posted:

Post it to me in small pieces. :D

I've agreed a price on the black/purple '94 F2 pictured a few posts previously. It's not running perfectly (just slightly woolly at the bottom end - I suspect it's just the pilot circuit needs cleaning out as it performs fine under load) but is very shiny and hasn't been thrown down the road, unlike just about every other bike I've looked at in this price range. I got a good discount, so if I hate it I can sell it on without any trouble. The shock appears to still be holding itself up, which is better than the more expensive F3 I was looking at.

They're all slightly woolly at low RPM when stock. They probably need a bit more fuel at low RPM, but it's not horrible. Just get it to 2.5-3k before you start slipping the clutch.

quote:

Once I have a deposit on it, it will be time to hunt up some pre-crashed plastic, a dented tank and of course the Hello Kitty stencil and matt black rattle can. Only thing that needs changing is the el cheapo Maxxis supermaxxxxxxx on the front (BT010 on the back should be fine). I have a used Pilot Power in the garage that should fit. I'm going to pull the Ohlins off my Hornet before sale and that should hopefully fund a shiny new Nitron "sport shock" (no remote reservoir, but I bet it will still beat the original shock) of bling +2. Of course if anyone has a Fox Twin Clicker for sale, I may buy one out of nostalgia.

Some buddies of mine have been looking for a track bike, so hopefully I can spur them into picking up something similar and we'll get out to the track in a month or so for some beater racing (ride report to follow).

That sounds like a lot of fun.

quote:

Z3n, I've read a couple random forum posts about putting a floating disc kit on the F2. Does that solve the warping or do you need the F3 calipers in practice? As a former 90s Yamaha owner I know all about warping discs every few months and don't really want to experience it again. That poo poo is expensive.

Also Z3n and FWB, any suggestions for good street rubber - I'm a Metzeler/Pirelli or Dunlop sort of guy.

I loved the Metzler Z6es for all weather, street rubber. Pirelli Diablo Corsa 3s were favored for hot weather/crossover track riding. I took my 929 to the track on the Corsa 3s and it handled great, and I got like 6k+ out of the rear. They like to run high pressures, fair warning.

Depending on how worn the stock calipers are, I'd probably make sure all the buttons are clean (if they're "semi floating"), and run them with good pads and good fluid first, if they warp, then go looking for a kit. At moderate trackpace, you probably don't have much to be concerned about.

Russian Bear posted:

You know what's causing a marital tension? THE LACK OF HIS AND HERS KTMS.

:v:

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Z3n posted:

I loved the Metzler Z6es for all weather, street rubber. Pirelli Diablo Corsa 3s were favored for hot weather/crossover track riding. I took my 929 to the track on the Corsa 3s and it handled great, and I got like 6k+ out of the rear. They like to run high pressures, fair warning.

Yeah, I used a supercorsa on the back of my 954 - I had a standard diablo on it down at NCMP (is that right?) on like a 110 degree day and it straight up melted and was sliding everywhere.

But that's overkill for an 85hp 600 I think. Will try to find the Z6, but people tend to want the newest and shiniest stuff over here, so I suspect I'll find that it's actually cheaper to put Angel STs or Roadtec Z8s on it.

Z3n posted:

Depending on how worn the stock calipers are, I'd probably make sure all the buttons are clean (if they're "semi floating"), and run them with good pads and good fluid first, if they warp, then go looking for a kit. At moderate trackpace, you probably don't have much to be concerned about.

Yup, I'll clean up the pistons and have a peer at the fluid. They're just fixed rotors IIRC - that would be why normal replacements are like $50 inc. VAT. Which adds up quickly if they warp every month, plus then you end up with "Vibration White Finger".

What I was thinking of was EBC's 310mm upgrade (semi?) floating replacements, which are the more standard $150 plus per rotor. Not sure how that works as it looks like the F2 had 298 discs. Maybe you get an adaptor plate in the box with each rotor. Key question is do they come with the maximum sexy red hats and blue carriers like my TRX's EBC race discs.

Z3n posted:

You know what's causing a marital tension? THE LACK OF HIS AND HERS KTMS.

We all know what the real story is. No duck carrier in the KTM Power Parts catalogue.

If you'd bought a Sportster, you could be rocking a leather duck carrier with extra tassels, Harley Davidson Tarmac Testosterone (TM)(R) deoderant and some Sturgis-appropriate beachwear for Bunway Airlines. But no! You shunned American industry's finest untreated mild steel and the remaindered stock of the Pontiac company's interior trim department for devilish foreign metal.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
Were you on the 33 on Sunday? I saw at least two guys that could very well have been you.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Saga posted:

Yeah, I used a supercorsa on the back of my 954 - I had a standard diablo on it down at NCMP (is that right?) on like a 110 degree day and it straight up melted and was sliding everywhere.

But that's overkill for an 85hp 600 I think. Will try to find the Z6, but people tend to want the newest and shiniest stuff over here, so I suspect I'll find that it's actually cheaper to put Angel STs or Roadtec Z8s on it.

Yeah tire stuff is hit and miss. There's always the ever popular PR2/PR3 as well, although I don't have as much experience with performance riding on those.

quote:

Yup, I'll clean up the pistons and have a peer at the fluid. They're just fixed rotors IIRC - that would be why normal replacements are like $50 inc. VAT. Which adds up quickly if they warp every month, plus then you end up with "Vibration White Finger".

What I was thinking of was EBC's 310mm upgrade (semi?) floating replacements, which are the more standard $150 plus per rotor. Not sure how that works as it looks like the F2 had 298 discs. Maybe you get an adaptor plate in the box with each rotor. Key question is do they come with the maximum sexy red hats and blue carriers like my TRX's EBC race discs.

Ahh, i see. Usually those upgrades come with an adapter to space things out, that's been the case in my experience.

quote:

We all know what the real story is. No duck carrier in the KTM Power Parts catalogue.

If you'd bought a Sportster, you could be rocking a leather duck carrier with extra tassels, Harley Davidson Tarmac Testosterone (TM)(R) deoderant and some Sturgis-appropriate beachwear for Bunway Airlines. But no! You shunned American industry's finest untreated mild steel and the remaindered stock of the Pontiac company's interior trim department for devilish foreign metal.

The only duck carrier available on a KTM is what happens when you pass an 1198 and they keep up for a little bit before going flying off the road.

We all know I hate anything that's not a supermoto, I'm not sure why you're surprised by this. :v:

redscare posted:

Were you on the 33 on Sunday? I saw at least two guys that could very well have been you.

Nah, but in a hilarious turn of events, I was probably teaching those guys at a little riding clinic thing about a month ago. :v:

Also took a deposit on the CBR.

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

Russian Bear posted:

No, the fact that Bunway has never been on a vacation with Z3n is causing this. I'm also pissy at work right now, don't mind me :v:

We organized the garage this weekend, and because I am a totally anal, obsessive person I now feel a lot better about the world. And once all these parts are out and turned into beautiful money, I'll feel even better.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Bunway Airlines posted:

No, the fact that Bunway has never been on a vacation with Z3n is causing this.

Time for a motorcycle trip to Mexico/South America or somewhere. Go visit PlasticSun and girlfriend in their Mexican tower home!

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Russian Bear posted:

Time for a motorcycle trip to Mexico/South America or somewhere. Go visit PlasticSun and girlfriend in their Mexican tower home!

Better yet come to Canada. Except for some weird reason the day you show up in BC I'll be out of province. So you'll have to buy your own beer. Ya jerk.

:xd:

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
You don't happen to have or know anyone with an extremely American end can or full system for an F2/F3 do you Z3n?

I think my F2 is going to need something "period". Someone's selling a Sudco full system on ebay and it looks hilarious. What did DuCamel's bikes use? Yosh USA?

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

Russian Bear posted:

I'm so ready for that. He even invited us! But alas, we're saving for the wedding in October. I hope to be more adventurous next year.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
After I got married my dad told me something to the effect of... "if it was up to me I would have said gently caress everyone else and gotten married on a beach somewhere like Tahiti and skipped the family wedding bullshit". Ours was extremely small, but I agree with him. ;)

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Apr 13, 2011

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

BlackMK4 posted:

After I got married my dad told me something to the effect of... "if it was up to me I would have said gently caress everyone else and gotten married on a beach somewhere like Tahiti and skipped the family wedding bullshit". Ours was extremely small, but I agree with him. ;)

Ours is pretty low key as well. I don't subscribe to wedding BS, but I did want an excuse to wear a big fancy dress and have people look at me. I am a girl sometimes after all. We're already legally married, this is the song and dance for family. I come from a very traditional family on my Dad's side and I actually like my family so it's worth it to make them happy. We put our own spin on it to make sure we were happy.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Tell me Desmo is somehow going to be involved in the ceremony... it has to happen!

:ohdear:

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

needknees posted:

Tell me Desmo is somehow going to be involved in the reception ... it has to happen!

:stare:

:ohdear::ohdear::ohdear::ohdear::ohdear::ohdear::ohdear:

Nooooooooooooooooooooo god why??!! :cry:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

needknees posted:

Tell me Desmo is somehow going to be involved in the ceremony... it has to happen!

She's going to be a fill in as the quietly idling 2 stroke and maybe ringbearer?

Saga posted:

:stare:

:ohdear::ohdear::ohdear::ohdear::ohdear::ohdear::ohdear:

Nooooooooooooooooooooo god why??!! :cry:

Me and Kristin both refuse to have pets that we would enjoy eating.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Bunway Airlines posted:

Ours is pretty low key as well. I don't subscribe to wedding BS, but I did want an excuse to wear a big fancy dress and have people look at me. I am a girl sometimes after all. We're already legally married, this is the song and dance for family. I come from a very traditional family on my Dad's side and I actually like my family so it's worth it to make them happy. We put our own spin on it to make sure we were happy.

Hah, sounds exactly like my wife. :)

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

Z3n posted:

Me and Kristin both refuse to have pets that we would enjoy eating.

Duck and rabbit are both amazing. You guys are missing out on worlds of flavor. Duck can be nasty if it's not done well, but when it is...

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Zenaida posted:

Duck and rabbit are both amazing. You guys are missing out on worlds of flavor. Duck can be nasty if it's not done well, but when it is...

Oh, I've had duck before. It's fine. I'm just not a huge fan of it, the cute to tasty ratio is still in favor of cute. Never had rabbit though.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

A graceful rolling burnout. Here comes the bride. Mother and aunts wipe tears of joy and rubber smoke irritation.

Groom wheelies all the way down, then stoppies and turns 90 degrees towards her on the front wheel before the rear comes down.

Their eyes lock.

I do.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ola posted:

A graceful rolling burnout. Here comes the bride. Mother and aunts wipe tears of joy and rubber smoke irritation.

Groom wheelies all the way down, then stoppies and turns 90 degrees towards her on the front wheel before the rear comes down.

Their eyes lock.

I do.

:3:

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

needknees posted:

Ring-bearer. Yes, we will offer a selection of pictures done by the photographer :D

Duck is fine but I don't prefer it, and rabbit is too gamey for me. I have no problem with people eating whatever animals they want; as long as they realize that dogs, cats, horses and other companion animals are commonly eaten in other parts of the world and I am A-OK with that. As long as the animal lived a good life and died humanely, eat whatever you want.

I actually always told Conan we should choreograph a Pas de deux for the wedding and come in on supermotos. He laughed at me.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I have visions of backing it in straight into the inlaws. Given that I actually like my inlaws, it's a surprisingly unappealing picture.

:woop:

First international Z3n Racing sticker, I think!

Z3n fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Apr 14, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Bunway Airlines posted:

I actually always told Conan we should choreograph a Pas de deux for the wedding and come in on supermotos. He laughed at me.

A stoppie kiss would be awesome to see... although practicing it could be troublesome.

• Locked thread