Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Every Clan has a gimick:

Wolves - "We should protect the Inner Sphere!" - Mary Sue Clan
Jade Falcons - "WE CAN FLY, WEEEE!" - jump jets
Smoke Jaguars - "Is it dead? Yes? Shoot it again anyway." - excessive force
Ghost Bears - "Stand together!" - unity, loyalty
Nova Cats - "Like, woah, sweet vision!" - Mysticism
Diamond Shark - "How many of these do you think we can sell?" - Money
Star Adder - "Intriguing, let us do science at it!" - new weapon/equipment research
Coyote - "Nobody will stand against our new 'Mechs!" - 'Mech design (and losing those new 'Mechs to someone pretty much immediately)
Burrock - "Shh, keep this on the down-low..." - Bandit connections
Goliath Scorpion - "Do it better." - Precision and training. Also, drugs.
Hell's Horses - "We like tanks and infantry!" - :downs:
Fire Mandrils - "Who are we again?" - a Clan divided against itself...
Blood Spirits - "Our system is stupid" - Isolationists
Snow Raven - "Ground combat is for pussies" - Aerospace fighters and warships
Ice Hellions - "Derp!" - losing fights. Alternatively, hit-and-run attacks.
Cloud Cobra - "The Space-Pope ain't a lizard!" - Religion
Wolverine - "You ain't the boss of me, man!" - Rebellion (got killed)
Widowmaker - "Nicholas Kerensky is a dumbass, we'll kill who we want!" - Rebellion (got absorbed)

Steel Vipers - "LOL" - Cheating (then getting their asses kicked because of it)
What annoys me is that Widowmaker killed the Leader of all the Clans and they merely became part of another Clan. Wolverine just didn't want to hand over some of their stuff to the other Clans initially, and it escalated into them being being subjected to an attempted genocide (which partially succeeded) that carried other to affect at least one other Clan (Ghost Bear, if I remember properly...). *shakes head* I think it can be said that Wolverine got a very raw deal...

v v v Just look at the events of MW2: GBL. They tore a path through both Clan and DC Space hunting down the thieves who stole the Genetic samples of their founders.

landcollector fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Apr 11, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Artificer posted:

Judging from that, it looks like Ghost Bear is the one with the least stupid gimmick. Is that why there seems to be so many fans of them?

Their gimmick, if I recall, also includes overwhelming collateral damage.

Edit: Its because while Widowmaker killed said leader of the clans, Wolverine pissed him off while he was still alive.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Their gimmick, if I recall, also includes overwhelming collateral damage.

Not so much that, as a complete unwillingness to change at anything other than a glacial pace. They've got a lot of fans because while they started out as being the downs-sufferers of the original invasion, they didn't get enough face-time to show that they were total assholes; so people started assuming that they were actually pretty OK.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Pimpmust posted:

Now I want a match to be goons in a company of tanks vs a lance of clanners :colbert:

I could get behind this. Show the Clanners what some armor can do!

Not to get hung up on this honor stuff, but I would think that any right thinking Inner Sphere military dude would call out Knox on his bullshit. Whether Knox or his superiors would actually do anything about it is another question. Really, he was to withdraw, not advance in another direction and pick off targets of opportunity...

Good fight, raverrn. Your tank crew is still out there in the woods, so maybe you can hide out there and try and affect the battle in some way. Or you could make it back to the dropships or something. Tell the rest of the Commonwealth what went down with the 2nd and how these clanners can be exploited honor wise.

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Angry_Ed posted:

Long as we get to field Demolishers and Alacorns. AC/20s and Gauss Rifles for all :black101:

Pffft, you can keep your ammo-dependent battle tanks. I prefer the Shreck.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Also, on the note of the Naga and how it is totally terrible, it's mainly because 5/8 is entirely pointless for an artillery 'mech. If I was rebuilding the Naga into something reasonably capable of self-defense, here's what it'd end up looking like.

code:
Naga II

Mass: 80 tons
Tech Base: Clan
Chassis Config: Biped Omnimech
Rules Level: Advanced Rules
Era: Clan Invasion
Tech Rating/Era Availability: E/X-X-E
Production Year: 3060
Cost: 22,755,749 C-Bills
Battle Value: 1,783

Chassis: Unknown Endo-Steel
Power Plant: Unknown 320 Fusion XL Engine
Walking Speed: 43.0 km/h
Maximum Speed: 64.5 km/h
Jump Jets: Unknown
    Jump Capacity: 0 meters
Armor: Unknown Standard Armor
Armament:
    2  Arrow IV Missiles
    1  TAG
    9.0 tons of pod space.
Manufacturer: Unknown
    Primary Factory: Unknown
Communications System: Unknown
Targeting and Tracking System: Unknown

================================================================================
Equipment           Type                         Rating                   Mass  
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Internal Structure: Endo-Steel                   122 points                4.00
    Internal Locations: 1 CT, 1 LT, 1 RT, 2 LL, 2 RL
Engine:             XL Fusion Engine             320                      11.50
    Walking MP: 4
    Running MP: 6
    Jumping MP: 0 
Heat Sinks:         Double                       12(24)                    2.00
Gyro:               Standard Gyro                                          4.00
Cockpit:            Standard                                               3.00
    Actuators:      L: SH+UA    R: SH+UA
Armor:              Standard Armor               AV - 247                 15.50
    CASE Locations: LT, RT                                                 0.00

Internal       Armor      
                                                      Structure      Factor     
                                                Head     3            9         
                                        Center Torso     25           40        
                                 Center Torso (rear)                  10        
                                           L/R Torso     17           24        
                                    L/R Torso (rear)                  10        
                                             L/R Arm     13           26        
                                             L/R Leg     17           34        

================================================================================
Loadout Name: Prime                                          Cost: 23,592,749
Tech Rating/Era Availability: F/X-X-E                         BV2: 2,273

Equipment           Type                         Rating                   Mass  
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Heat Sinks:         Double                       14(28)                    2.00
    Heat Sink Locations: 1 LT, 1 RT
    CASE Locations: LT, RT                                                 0.00
    Actuators:      L: SH+UA    R: SH+UA

Equipment                                 Location    Heat    Critical    Mass  
TAG                                          HD        0         1         1.00
ER Medium Laser                              CT        5         1         1.00
Arrow IV Missile                             RT/RA     10        2/10     12.00
ER Medium Laser                              RT        5         1         1.00
Medium Pulse Laser                           RT        4         1         2.00
Arrow IV Missile                             LT/LA     10        2/10     12.00
ER Medium Laser                              LT        5         1         1.00
Medium Pulse Laser                           LT        4         1         2.00
@Arrow IV (Homing) (10)                      RT        -         2         2.00
@Arrow IV (Cluster) (5)                      RT        -         1         1.00
@Arrow IV (Cluster) (5)                      LT        -         1         1.00
@Arrow IV (Homing) (10)                      LT        -         2         2.00
                                            Free Critical Slots: 0

BattleForce Statistics
MV      S (+0)  M (+2)  L (+4)  E (+6)   Wt.   Ov   Armor:      8    Points: 23
4          6       3       0       0      4     1   Structure:  4
Special Abilities: OMNI, TAG, ARTAC, CASE, SRCH, ES, SOA

I guess it's not sufficiently Steel Viper though. Being only 4/6 instead of 5/8 and all. Also, the "code" and "/code" BB tags are really nice for posting designs in.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

MJ12 posted:

I guess it's not sufficiently Steel Viper though. Being only 4/6 instead of 5/8 and all.

It's a Star Adder design. :ssh:

But no, I wasn't going out of my way to make the Naga more effective. It pretty much exists to explode hilariously.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's a Star Adder design. :ssh:

But no, I wasn't going out of my way to make the Naga more effective. It pretty much exists to explode hilariously.

So you'd say it's the Clan equivalent of the -1A1 Charger? Or the Jagermech but not as useful?

There's not too much you can do to make the Naga more effective, even the drop to 4/6 only let me max the armor and give it the defensive armament of a light mech. Of course, that's the defensive armament of a light Clan mech.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

Not so much that, as a complete unwillingness to change at anything other than a glacial pace. They've got a lot of fans because while they started out as being the downs-sufferers of the original invasion, they didn't get enough face-time to show that they were total assholes; so people started assuming that they were actually pretty OK.

Also they haven't lost a major battle since Tukayyid and get through the Jihad as the only people to not lose some major holding.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The Ghost Bears also pretty much trolled the rest of the Clans during the Great Refusal by saying "this is stupid, we quit" and moving all of their holdings to the Inner Sphere and allying with the Free Rasalhague Republic not soon after.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

MJ12 posted:

There's not too much you can do to make the Naga more effective.

Well, there is but you have to completely redesign it and get rid of the Arrow IV system:

Hey, look, it's like a Naga but with double the BV(1)!

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Well, there is but you have to completely redesign it and get rid of the Arrow IV system:

Hey, look, it's like a Naga but with double the BV(1)!

Well, at that point it isn't really a Naga, but some sort of Gargoyle variant with Endosteel, isn't it? Which is the real thing with the Naga, because of its trademark being "two Arrow IV launchers" there is literally nothing you can do to make it a good mech in Clan combat, although if you dropped the engine size down to 4/6 and maxed its armor you would have an excellent artillery mech with decent self-defense ability, if only the Clans used artillery significantly.

Defiance Industries posted:

Also they haven't lost a major battle since Tukayyid and get through the Jihad as the only people to not lose some major holding.

And don't forget that they have some really cool things, like the Kodiak, or the Leviathan II, or the Bruin, although that's recent. Generally they have a prevalence of pretty awesome mech designs and the largest warship in space (despite not being Clan Snow Raven), which doesn't hurt their popularity.

MJ12 fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Apr 11, 2011

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

MJ12 posted:

Which is the real thing with the Naga, because of its trademark being "two Arrow IV launchers" there is literally nothing you can do to make it a good mech in Clan combat [...] if only the Clans used artillery significantly.

The Huey is a much better artillary-delivery system anyway, so losing the Naga's signature (being totally useless) is hardly a bad thing.

Honestly, if any of the Naga variants had Tag, it would be less useless since it could fire a homing missile at the mapsheet it's in once it tags a target. It'd be one of those skill things that Clan 'Mechwarriors love!

But no, they get to direct fire and miss because Arrow IVs suck when they're not actively homing in on a target.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I dunno about the rest of you, but Clan Ghost Bear is my favorite for the even less rational reason that I like the animal they are fashioned after and their quasi-Totem Mech, the Kodiak. Oh, and I like their color schemes.

Plus, they're pretty chill dudes that wreck poo poo when they have to.

So yeah, all my reasons for liking the Ghost Bears have almost nothing to do with their actual battles and such. :downsgun:

[EDIT] Also, I think one of their Galaxies is called "Bear Essentials", so yeah, they've got high ranks in Punnery.

Zaodai fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Apr 11, 2011

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

en you'll only do 300/150 damage to yourself/everything around you.

Compare and Contrast:

Hey, what's that program you're using there? I'm trying to run a Battletech RPG game and could use something to help track this stuff.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Huey is a much better artillary-delivery system anyway, so losing the Naga's signature (being totally useless) is hardly a bad thing.

The Huey is a slow tank (2/3) with very poor armor protection, while if built right (again, the 5/8 move is the killer here, but 4/6 is still very fast) the Naga becomes a well-armored artillery platform with equivalent firepower and superior armor. My Naga II manages roughly the same defensive throw-weight and is a lot harder to kill.

The Huey is far cheaper, and more effective on that metric, but since when did the Clans care about cost-effectiveness?

quote:

Honestly, if any of the Naga variants had Tag, it would be less useless since it could fire a homing missile at the mapsheet it's in once it tags a target. It'd be one of those skill things that Clan 'Mechwarriors love!

But no, they get to direct fire and miss because Arrow IVs suck when they're not actively homing in on a target.

Not being able to TAG for yourself is generally inexcusable on an artillery mech unless it's something like the Patriot where you only have 1 Arrow IV, isn't it? Although you mentioned the Naga had too much ammunition, which is where I disagree. I think the Naga has just enough ammunition, since an artillery mech should be sustaining constant fire unless it needs to defend itself, and there are a lot of artillery ammo flavors.

Six tons lets you carry 10 shots of Arrow IV Homing per launcher, and have a last ton for Cluster or Inferno ammunition, the first for killing infantry of any sort and murdering tight-packed vehicle formations and other softer targets, the second for being a gigantic dick. I'd have said FASCAM as well, but the Clans don't use minefields, do they?

Gothsheep posted:

Hey, what's that program you're using there? I'm trying to run a Battletech RPG game and could use something to help track this stuff.

He's using Heavy Metal Pro which is a for-pay program, I recognize the interface. I linked Solaris Skunk Werks a while back, which is free and similarly-featured for battlemechs (although it doesn't let you design REDACTED or vehicles yet. You can get it here

MJ12 fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Apr 11, 2011

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Yeah, I'm perfectly fine with Artillary going right over the Clan's heads (no pun intended). They've got enough problems superiority without understanding how big guns work.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"
You can also (and should!) get MegaMekLab.

The interface isn't very shiny, it's not slick like Heavy Metal, but it uses BV2.0, validates, and can build 'mechs, tanks, and redacted.

Oh, and it exports natively in MegaMek's format, which is a plus to my way of mind since I imagine most of us would be wanting to use the designs we output for MegaMek.

If you actually want to design for tabletop, you can always use MML to build and validate, then copy the info to paper by hand.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

MJ12 posted:

Six tons lets you carry 10 shots of Arrow IV Homing per launcher, and have a last ton for Cluster or Inferno ammunition, the first for killing infantry of any sort and murdering tight-packed vehicle formations and other softer targets, the second for being a gigantic dick. I'd have said FASCAM as well, but the Clans don't use minefields, do they?

Just as an aside, Clanners don't actually have Arrow-IV Inferno ammo. That's Cappie hardware invented in the 3060s and so it doesn't quite exist yet. They DO actually have FASCAM ammo, though.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
*derp*

nothing to see here folks. That nice looking mech above is a bruin.

Artificer fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Apr 11, 2011

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Angry_Ed posted:

Long as we get to field Demolishers and Alacorns. AC/20s and Gauss Rifles for all :black101:

I'd settle for Hetzers. Then we get no turret, a dumb catch phrase, cheapness and an AC/20s everywhere!

Edit: The best tank would be a 20 ton tracked tank destroyer with a fusion engine, 7 tons of armor and a PPC in terms of C-bill efficency. That's a real Hetzer to boot.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Apr 11, 2011

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I'd settle for Hetzers. Then we get no turret, a dumb catch phrase, cheapness and an AC/20s everywhere!

And half-speed on non-pavement and skidding tests at flanking! Skidding tests for everyone (wheeled tanks are awful)!

VVVVV It was from a time before wheels were treated differently from treads. A time when tanks exploded on contact with things like 'fire', 'water', and 'trees'. Simpler times, before the Clans came. When the word 'Autocannon' meant 'Autocannon/5' and there weren't any other varieties.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Apr 11, 2011

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

And half-speed on non-pavement and skidding tests at flanking! Skidding tests for everyone (wheeled tanks are awful)!

Yeah, it's very puzzling why it doesn't have tracks when it's named after a real tracked TD, especially considering you can seemingly remake it as a 3/5 30 Ton tracked tank for no penalty.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
PM sent.

Some things are designed to be worse than other things: If everything was flawless and optimised, there'd be no space for custom designs.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Zaodai posted:

I dunno about the rest of you, but Clan Ghost Bear is my favorite for the even less rational reason that I like the animal they are fashioned after and their quasi-Totem Mech, the Kodiak. Oh, and I like their color schemes.

So yeah, all my reasons for liking the Ghost Bears have almost nothing to do with their actual battles and such. :downsgun:

[EDIT] Also, I think one of their Galaxies is called "Bear Essentials", so yeah, they've got high ranks in Punnery.

Hey, it's no worse than my reasons for really liking the Free Worlds League - namely that of the 5 factions (Clans? What Clans? I'm old, yo), they had the logo I liked the best and besides, no one else at the gaming store seemed to really care about 'em so I figured I'd be the standout.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

AJ_Impy posted:

PM sent.

Some things are designed to be worse than other things: If everything was flawless and optimised, there'd be no space for custom designs.

Sure sure, I appreciate that. It's just a strange oversight. The only people who are going to get a kick out of it being called a 'Hetzer' are going to be people who know what a real hetzer is, and (like me) are likely to be somewhat puzzled by the fact that the Hetzer doesn't have tracks - plus the same source material has actual wheeled TDs with oversized guns you could have used instead.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
So judging by all the talk of how the Naga's sole reason for being is to provide a lovely pillar of flame several miles high, I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that it doesn't have CASE?

Enjoy your new coffin, Knox! You've certainly earned it! :byewhore:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

W.T. Fits posted:

So judging by all the talk of how the Naga's sole reason for being is to provide a lovely pillar of flame several miles high, I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that it doesn't have CASE?

As a result of this battle, in the year 2782, elderly Clan Warriors seeking an honorable death are assigned to a Cluster composed entirely of Nagas and sent forth to seek battle with the 2nd Donegal. To further increase their chances of a glorious death, each has had their Nagas emblazoned with the words 'Jennifer Steiner Blows Goats' in three-foot-high letters across their torsos.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

W.T. Fits posted:

No, like all Clan designs, it has weight-free slot-free CASE.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

As a result of this battle, in the year 2782, elderly Clan Warriors seeking an honorable death are assigned to a Cluster composed entirely of Nagas and sent forth to seek battle with the 2nd Donegal. To further increase their chances of a glorious death, each has had their Nagas emblazoned with the words 'Jennifer Steiner Blows Goats' in three-foot-high letters across their torsos.

Err, don't you mean 3082?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Err, don't you mean 3082?

Misjump accident. Clan Dropship winds up in the middle of the succession wars.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

AJ_Impy posted:

Misjump accident. Clan Dropship winds up in the middle of the succession wars.

And that is why you don't jury-rig a KF-drive onto a dropship. :pseudo:

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Apr 11, 2011

Diogenes Cynicus
Aug 5, 2009

Zaodai posted:

Personally, I like the Ghost Bears for their massive hard-on for Fire Moths and REDACTED. If I recall correctly, the Ghost Bear Touman included an entire Galaxy of REDACTED. Basically, they like to bring the pain in an incredibly annoying way. Also, their AeroSpace pilots are born from MechWarrior stock, so they can be better at hand-to-hand combat :black101:

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Diogenes Cynicus posted:

Personally, I like the Ghost Bears for their massive hard-on for Fire Moths and REDACTED. If I recall correctly, the Ghost Bear Touman included an entire Galaxy of REDACTED. Basically, they like to bring the pain in an incredibly annoying way. Also, their AeroSpace pilots are born from MechWarrior stock, so they can be better at hand-to-hand combat :black101:

Well, as mentioned earlier in the thread, Firemoths using alternate config. D can dish out a lot of pain (5 ER Medium Lasers) for their weight and are very speedy. Not to mention those lasers are tied to a Targeting Computer...

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

landcollector posted:

Well, as mentioned earlier in the thread, Firemoths using alternate config. D can dish out a lot of pain (5 ER Medium Lasers) for their weight and are very speedy. Not to mention those lasers are tied to a Targeting Computer...

Isn't the Firemoth D the only canon mech banned from tournament play? or did I misremember this?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Diogenes Cynicus posted:

Personally, I like the Ghost Bears for their massive hard-on for Fire Moths

But they loooooove Alternate Configuration A (which is pretty terrible since they don't use artillary except on extremely rare occasions).

They also have a love for the Viper, whose sole characteristic is: "Like the Nova, but faster. And worse."

The Ghost Bears, Smoke Jaguars, Goliath Scorpions, and Hell's Horses all love <Redacted>, each for different reasons.

I love the Ghost Bears, they're probably my favorite Clan (which is why I play Jade Falcons; and decided not to include the Bears in the Invasion; I couldn't do them justice and I could have tried to make them look too awesome).

This time around, the Clans I chose are (probably) far better suited to taking and holding the Inner Sphere; each for a different reason.

The Steel Vipers bid a second-line Garrison Galaxy to the invasion.
The Hell's Horses love for combined-arms, tanks, and standard infantry makes them excellent Garrison forces.
The Goliath Scorpions field a lot of <Redacted> and are indirectly protected by the Hell's Horses.
The Widowmakers are great at smashing defenders and leaving little organized resistance and are indirectly protected by the Steel Vipers.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
So they -only- bid a second line galaxy to the invasion? That is not a lot of forces right?

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Captain Foo posted:

Isn't the Firemoth D the only canon mech banned from tournament play? or did I misremember this?

I think the combo of Pulse Lasers (Large specifically) and Targeting Computer is also banned. Reason: Together they can provide a max of a -3 bonus on your to-hit rolls, making many shots very easy to hit their mark.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Affi posted:

So they -only- bid a second line galaxy to the invasion? That is not a lot of forces right?

In addition to their front-line forces, the Steel Vipers are the only Clan who brought a Garrison Galaxy.

The Clans aren't exactly being limited to four Galaxies this time around. Clan Widowmaker isn't trying to handicap the invasion the way the Wolves were.

... Which also would've made the Ghost Bears waaaaaaaaay more powerful, since they've got 13 (6 front line) Galaxies. Most of the other Clans only have 5-8, and only 4 or so of those will be front-line troops; and quite a few have less (poor Cloud Cobras).

The Smoke Jaguars only had, what... 3 front-line Galaxies and maaaaaybe 8 total galaxies (by 3060) if you count their 5 understrength Garrison galaxies and the front-line Galaxy they were trying to put together in secret that the Northwind Highlanders tricked the Nova Cats into killing because Loren Jaffray is a Mary Sue who Can't Lose?

VVVV The second thing. It means they're not wasting Omnimechs holding worlds; they can field all of their front-line troops because they brought some second-line failures soldiers to hold the worlds the front-line troops take.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Apr 11, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

This time around, the Clans I chose are (probably) far better suited to taking and holding the Inner Sphere; each for a different reason.

The Steel Vipers bid a second-line Garrison Galaxy to the invasion.

I understand the logic of all your descriptions except for this one. Is this ideal because the Vipers aren't burning their best troops on learning Steiner rules? Or is this more ideal because a Garrison Galaxy would be better suited to holding the territory it conquers?

e. I see. They're really committed to this invasion, then...

• Locked thread