Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

squidtarts
May 26, 2005

I think women are intimidated by me because I have mean cartoon eyebrows.
We buy baby cereal treats (they're called puffed grains or something like that) and the rats go apeshit over them, especially the sweet potato flavor. As a bonus, they come in a plastic canister that shakes very satisfyingly and is a good "C'MERE RATTIES" sound.

Baby treats in general are healthier than adult snacks. They also get some baby cheese doodles and the baby version of yogies, which don't have as much sugar and oils.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

squidtarts posted:

We buy baby cereal treats (they're called puffed grains or something like that) and the rats go apeshit over them, especially the sweet potato flavor. As a bonus, they come in a plastic canister that shakes very satisfyingly and is a good "C'MERE RATTIES" sound.

Baby treats in general are healthier than adult snacks. They also get some baby cheese doodles and the baby version of yogies, which don't have as much sugar and oils.
It's almost as if we are in separate rooms writing about the same rats at exactly the same time.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

Boco_T posted:

Ratatouille-branded croissants from PetSmart.

My rats hate these. Every time I offer them as treats they throw them down with disgust and look at me like I'm nuts.

Mine love pumpkin seeds over everything else. They're fattening so I limit them but when they get one they all fight over them even though I make sure they each get one.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Little rats:

ElectricSquire
Aug 21, 2005

Lots of Wrinkles :3:

I should be bringing home some naked boy ratties in about 3 weeks time :D

Not sure how I will get on with the big hairless balls though :stare:

squidtarts
May 26, 2005

I think women are intimidated by me because I have mean cartoon eyebrows.
AHHHH, they're so ugly that I just want to snuggle them all and give them rat kisses. :3: I make fun of Wrinkles for being gross, but double rexes get me every time with those curly whiskers and random hair patches.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Superconsndar posted:

My rats hate these. Every time I offer them as treats they throw them down with disgust and look at me like I'm nuts.

Strange. My guys love them. It's odd how rats standards will evolve, though. They used to like dried Papaya a ton, but once they tried some other treats, they like the Papaya less.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

DorianGravy posted:

Also, pictures!

Copernicus, on the left, and Galileo, on the right.

Holy poo poo, not only do they have the same markings as my rats, but I have the same cage also on a black shelf. What are you doing in my house?! :tinfoil:

Also, I hate the shelves and ramps for that cage, might have to make my own. :/

radioactivemongoose
Dec 27, 2006
High Voltage Rodent.

daggerdragon posted:

This. It's been two years since the last of my rats died, and... I just can't take any more right now. And I keep finding myself tucking away the fortune cookies from Chinese food restaurants to bring them home to give to the (non-existent) rats, then getting all :(

It really is a shame that they don't live longer or healthier.

:glomp: It's okay. I still feel sad about Mr. Bartleby passing away and that was about a year ago already. He was my first rat and I loved him so much that I don't know if I can really handle losing any more. I get emotional thinking about him since he was the best buddy ever and the sweetest animal in the world.

I always feel like I'm weird for having been so attached to him but I really miss him dearly, even more than my childhood dog. I rescued him from certain death at the hands of irresponsible owners so at least he had a good long life with me and was taken care of and loved. I guess we need to remember that more often, it does help to know that you made them happy for what little time they have :unsmith:

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Aryselin will probably be gone by the time I wake up. I gave him a good cuddle and made sure he was good and comfortable before I put him down, but I just can't stay up any later and if he doesn't improve a lot, I don't think he'll make it. :smith:

neongrey fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Mar 26, 2011

Pickle Chops
Sep 25, 2008
I bought some baby food in the hope it would bulk my boy up a bit. (I am taking him to the vet next week!) But it would seem that he doesn't like roast chicken n veg flavour :sigh: Do I just buy others and hope he eventually likes one?

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Pickle Chops posted:

I bought some baby food in the hope it would bulk my boy up a bit. (I am taking him to the vet next week!) But it would seem that he doesn't like roast chicken n veg flavour :sigh: Do I just buy others and hope he eventually likes one?

I've yet to meet a rodent that didn't like peanut butter, and it's very calorie dense, so you could try mixing some in. Straight-up PB is a bit of a choking hazard since it's so thick, but the strong smell/flavor of it might make him go for the baby food more?

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Yeah... yeah, he's gone. Li'l Varael is looking very confused right now, the longest he's ever been alone was the transportation from the breeder to my cage. :smith:

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

neongrey posted:

Yeah... yeah, he's gone. Li'l Varael is looking very confused right now, the longest he's ever been alone was the transportation from the breeder to my cage. :smith:

:sympathy:

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Okay, so I just noticed today that Varael has a number of tiny scabs on the back of his neck... what should I to to take care of it? Could it be related to the fact that Aryselin was in no shape to groom him properly (and he can't easily reach back there on his own) for the past while? Or should I be looking at some other kind of issue? Could it be mites? I just got my first sack of carefresh in a while, and I didn't freeze it...

ElectricSquire
Aug 21, 2005

I was browsing the Fancy-Rats.co.uk forums and came across this GIF posted by "Ratgirl@RatRitz" of her rat Chubbley:

Wahahaha :roflolmao:

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
I think everyone was made pretty much speechless by that gif :3:

buffybot
Nov 7, 2002

neongrey posted:

Okay, so I just noticed today that Varael has a number of tiny scabs on the back of his neck... what should I to to take care of it? Could it be related to the fact that Aryselin was in no shape to groom him properly (and he can't easily reach back there on his own) for the past while? Or should I be looking at some other kind of issue? Could it be mites? I just got my first sack of carefresh in a while, and I didn't freeze it...

Scabs on the back of the neck makes me think mites. Does Varael seem to be scratching himself more recently?

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Not any more than usual; he doesn't seem especially itchy. I'm keeping a fairly close eye on him if only because I don't want to bring anyone new into anything mite-y.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Pickle Chops posted:

When we had to bulk Pan up afer his tooth troubles we generally stuck to the vegetable based baby foods, and he seemed to like all of them. I don't think rats generally eat meat unless they have to, do they?

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

chippy posted:

When we had to bulk Pan up afer his tooth troubles we generally stuck to the vegetable based baby foods, and he seemed to like all of them. I don't think rats generally eat meat unless they have to, do they?

My boys LOVE ham. As soon as they can smell it they go crazy and would just keep eating it if I didn't want them to get fat.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
God, this thread yoyos so much between cute and depressing, I'm starting to get second thoughts. I'd like to get a pair of rats in the eventual future (once I get my own place to live), and I just have a few questions.

How time-intensive are they compared to, say, a new kitten? I'm a college student with an insanely busy schedule, so I wouldn't be able to spend hours on end with the critters.

Has anybody had any luck with training their rats? I know it can be done, and it seems like it'd be a good socialization and enrichment activity for when I do have time to play with them. I don't want to go nuts, just simple things like standing on their wee little back legs on command and such. I just don't really know how one would go about training their rats, is all.

If I don't care about coloration or anything like that, do I need to go to a breeder? They could be pink with green polka dots, and I wouldn't mind. It's too soon for me to be looking at specific places yet, I was just wondering.

LadySage
Dec 26, 2005

AA: i am very much alive
AA: and i intend to stay that way :)

GenericOverusedName posted:

God, this thread yoyos so much between cute and depressing, I'm starting to get second thoughts. I'd like to get a pair of rats in the eventual future (once I get my own place to live), and I just have a few questions.

How time-intensive are they compared to, say, a new kitten? I'm a college student with an insanely busy schedule, so I wouldn't be able to spend hours on end with the critters.

Define "insanely busy". I kept a pair during college, and they were fine with an hour or two of active socialization per day. There was also a lot of passive socialization, with them running around my room while I did homework or riding on my shoulder while I hung around the dorm. It also helped that I had a lot of friends in my dorm who were fond of the rats and would play with them while I wasn't around.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
An hour or two a day of active interaction would be the most I could do on a weekday. And yeah, I guess I could let them run about while I'm studying, didn't even think of that. :downs:

ElectricSquire
Aug 21, 2005

If I let mine out while I am working from home they steal the warm paper as it comes out the laser printer :3:

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

We just got a new hamster, except that now I've met my brother's rats, hamsters seem so stupid and hard to play with. Why is she always trying to run away? :( Definitely getting rats after this.

She is cute and soft though :3:.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

So one of my rats is going to the vet tomorrow morning for a tumor removal. Whats post-op care like? How long should I keep her separate from her cagemate?

This plus the greying on them has made me admit my girls are getting old :(

Edit: Rattie is back in my care. She apparently bled a lot on the table, but I'm just glad she made it, considering the tumor was right under her neck. Most of her upper chest and armpit is stitches, but they will heal. The vet said the moment they took her off the gas, she popped up and started walking around.

Edit 2: Of course she just had to open her stitches. One trip to the e-vet later, and she better not touch them again. Staples, stitches in the cut, and outer stitches. Ugh, worst possible night. I've got two midterms tomorrow morning, and need to study. Ah well, she will hopefully get better now.

ZarathustraFollower fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 31, 2011

Amiss
Mar 9, 2006

Pestilence is the new pink.

neongrey posted:

Heart-wrenching post. I'm so sorry, neon.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

He's getting acquainted with his two new friends, Aserahin and Ilerin right now, and by 'getting acquainted' I mean 'stealing their snuggle sack' and 'making them squeak while not actually doing anything to them'

I'll even have pics soon, because they are so very very very cute when they're still small enough to fit under the wheel together.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Anybody know where I should look to find local breeders? I've looked through local shelters, but there was only a single pair nearby and they were almost 2 years old already. I'd rather not have sickly old rats as my first, since I don't think I'd be able to care for them very well. I'm near Raleigh, NC, if that helps.

GenericOverusedName fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Apr 5, 2011

Rodent Mortician
Mar 17, 2009

SQUEAK.

Anybody know where I should look to find local breeders? I've looked through local shelters, but there was only a single pair nearby and they were almost 2 years old already. I'd rather not have sickly old rats as my first, since I don't think I'd be able to care for them very well. I'm near Raleigh, NC, if that helps.

Carolina Pet Rescue, in Durham, has three young agouti males:
http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/18926635
http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/18926647
http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/18926658

I foster rats in NC (and actually have the old pair, if I'm remembering the listings right). Rats are tough, they're adoptable age for about 3 months and then they're "too old".

Squid
Feb 21, 2001

Took a couple pics of our ~1yr old girls today. It was nice out so we brought their cage outside with us for a while, where they proceeded to try to sniff up the entire atmosphere. It was so cute. :3:

Glasgow
Nov 7, 2009

Must you betray me with a kiss?
I got 4 rats from the foster network today. They're currently arranged around my other 3 rats' cage; they all seem pretty interested in each other. Here in a little while I'm going to formally introduce them and see how that goes. Wish me luck. Pictures forthcoming.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

So my new rats don't seem interested in the water bottle at all. They used to only get their water out of a dish before I got them but for a variety of reasons I would prefer to get everyone drinking out of the bottle. Any ideas for making it seem more enticing?

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I know rats can eat just about anything, but is there anything I should avoid giving them? I know peanut butter should be mixed in with things since it is so thick, and spicy foods = horrible poop nightmares, but is there anything else I should watch out for? Last thing I'd want is for a well-intended treat to end up hurting the lil' guys :(

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

neongrey posted:

So my new rats don't seem interested in the water bottle at all. They used to only get their water out of a dish before I got them but for a variety of reasons I would prefer to get everyone drinking out of the bottle. Any ideas for making it seem more enticing?

Flavored water? We have some vitamin stuff you mix into the water that's pretty stinky but they seem to love it. "Oasis Vita-Drops for Hamsters, Rats, Mice and Gerbils"

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

I know rats can eat just about anything, but is there anything I should avoid giving them? I know peanut butter should be mixed in with things since it is so thick, and spicy foods = horrible poop nightmares, but is there anything else I should watch out for? Last thing I'd want is for a well-intended treat to end up hurting the lil' guys :(

http://www.ratforum.com/index.php?topic=21101.0 posted:

What your rats should never eat

Fruit

Apple seeds - Apple seeds contain a small amount of cyanide which could be harmful to your rat. (Original post by Nightfallspy)
Green bananas - Inhibit starch digestion
Mango - Contains d-limonene which can cause kidney cancer in male rats (Thank you Darksong17!)
Oranges - The white part on the peelings and outer layer of a peeled orange is harmful to male rats. It seems to be ok for females, but I just stay away from citrus fruits in general.
Orange juice - Contains d-limonene which can cause kidney cancer in male rats

Vegetables

Beet tops - Same as Spinach (Original post by Ratastic)
Raw brussel sprouts - Fine after cooking, though
Green potato skin and eyes - I will not eat them and I will not eat green potato skin and eyes
Raw artichokes - Inhibit protein digestion
Raw onion - Can lead to anemia and an upset stomach
Raw red cabbage - Fine after cooking
Raw sweet potato - Once again, fine after cooking
Rhubarb - High levels of oxalates which bind up calcium
Spinach - Can cause urinary tract problems and stones due to the high levels of oxalates. (Original post by Ratastic)

Miscellaneous

Blue cheese - Contains a toxic mold
Cuddle Bones (for Birds) - The general consensus was that these have far too much calcium to be healthy for your rat, steer clear. (Original post by sneakers88)
Licorice - Contains a suspected neurotoxin
Poppyseeds - One member's rat got into these and then began to act very lethargic. The rat seemed better for a while, but unfortunately the situation deteriorated and the rat had to be put to sleep. (Original post by rainbowstar)
Rat poison - Believe it or not, this is just not good for rats
Raw bulk tofu - Packaged tofu is ok for eating
*Raw* dry beans or peanuts - Peanuts you buy in a store are almost always roasted so they are fine for rats. Beans will need to be cooked first before giving to rats. If you're growing your own peanuts then I would not serve those to your rats.
Raw hide - Difficult to digest (Original post by hydra)
Sweet feed (For horses) - There's just too much corn and molasses in this. (Original post by Krickette)
Wild insects - Well I guess these are ok cooked?

It is also a good idea to consult the Poisonous Plants for Small Pets list.

What your rats should eat in moderation or with caution

All of the following should be given in moderation. Some can be very dangerous to your rat if given too much. Personally, I would recommend just not giving your rat any of these (With the exception of chocolate, which is fine in small amounts).

Avocados - Very fatty. Also, the pit, rind, skin, and leaves of the avocado are toxic. Avoid any part of the avocado that even touches those parts. Good for sick rats needing to gain weight though
Bread - Bread can expand in a rat's throat, causing them to choke. If giving your rat bread, toast it first or give them very small amounts at a time.
Carbonated drinks - Though I doubt your rat will explode, it could give them a stomach ache as they have a hard time getting rid of the carbonation.
Chocolate - Supposed to help with minor respiratory distress. Too much can be problematic. Avoid milk chocolate but rather go for dark or bittersweet chocolate as milk chocolate contains too much fat and some rats are lactose intolerant (Thanks Mana!)
Dried corn - Contains fungal contaminates which could lead to liver cancer (Fresh corn is ok)
Oranges - The white part on the peelings and outer layer of a peeled orange is harmful to male rats. It seems to be ok for females, but I just stay away from citrus fruits in general.
Peanut butter - Could cause your rat to choke

Should never eat (Repeated in above section for rat's safety)

Apple seeds - Apple seeds contain a small amount of cyanide which could be harmful to your rat. (Original post by Nightfallspy)
Cuddle Bones (for Birds) - The general consensus was that these have far too much calcium to be healthy for your rat, steer clear. (Original post by sneakers88)
Poppyseeds - One member's rat got into these and then began to act very lethargic. The rat seemed better for a while, but unfortunately the situation deteriorated and the rat had to be put to sleep. (Original post by rainbowstar)
Raw hide - Difficult to digest (Original post by hydra)
Sweet feed (For horses) - There's just too much corn and molasses in this. (Original post by Krickette)

Undecided (Best to avoid for now)

Mint/Menthol/Candy Canes - It is currently unknown as to whether or not this may be harmful to your rat. Best to avoid for now. (Original post by zimmyzam)
Peppers - Though the non-spicy portion of the pepper is fine, you may want to avoid these as you'll never know if some of the spiciness got on the non-spicy portion, which could be very upsetting to a ratty. (Original post by glindella).

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

In no particular order:

- almonds
- oranges give male rats cancer (d-limonene)
- onions
- chocolate is fine in small amounts, preferably the darker varieties
- green potatoes and potato eyes (toxic)
- unwashed fruits and vegetables
- raw vegetables in general (broccoli and corn are fine, you should cook everything else)
- beans
- dried corn (boiled corn on the cob is excellent, if you don't mind the mess)
- too much sugary foods
- avocados
- caffeine
- cherries (the pit contains cyanide; doesn't bother you, probably will bother the much smaller rat)
- :420: (that is, straight-up marijuana, not smoked)
- tomatoes
- licorice

e;fb.

Jin Wicked
Jul 4, 2007

Well, I never!
Almonds and tomatoes are news to me. I have fed them both occasionally with no ill effects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chakattack!
May 23, 2004
95% Cheesecake
Yeah, I occasionally feed my rats cherry tomatoes, I'd never heard it was bad for them. Why is that?

Also the uncooked vegetables thing seems really odd to me - what about carrots, bell peppers? Cucumber? Peas? My rule of thumb so far has been that if I wouldn't eat it raw, neither will my rats, so things like uncooked potato/sweet potato etc are out, but otherwise they get most things raw. Have I been doing wrong?

Oh, another thing: I asked this question in another rat-related thread but I don't think it ever got answered. I would never give my rats any sort of intoxicating substance, but I live in a pretty stoner flat and worry about them finding/nibbling little remnants of weed when they are free ranging on the sofas or places where people have been smoking (I don't let anyone smoke around the rats, the room they live in is a smoke-free zone and everyone smokes out of windows in other rooms so there isn't a horrible smokey atmosphere for them), I noticed that weed is mentioned on the list of things to never give them so I'm a bit worried.

Chakattack! fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Apr 11, 2011