Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Blackula69 posted:

You can pick up one of those Logitech PS2 ones for cheap, or an actual PS2 one. For Fahrenheit, a Sixaxis is literally the only option.

e: To explain: there are a ton of QTEs in the game that involve using both sticks in a rhythmic pattern, almost like you're playing guitar hero or something. It feels really natural to do that when you have two identical joystick in identical places, but I can imagine that doing it on a 360 controller - which I actually feel is superior for every other game - would be an exercise in frustration.

Ugh, don't buy the Logitech ones, trust me. First they have a floaty 360 style D-Pad, second they have SQUARE sockets for the analog sticks. So have fun trying to play any game that requires a smooth circular motion with them (Hadoukening feels like gear shifting).

They are super cheap though, I think I paid 16 bucks for mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residual Toast
Nov 19, 2007
The Toast with the Most

Jive One posted:

Edit: Also adding System Shock and its sequel, which are both stellar games.

Didn't someone finally put out a mod for SS1 to enable mouselook? I thought I had heard that, and I had a hard time playing it/recommending it to others when it didn't have it.

Count Choculitis
Sep 13, 2007

I love you, Shepard. I always have. I want to understand what this is between us... and make it real.
Probably a longshot, but I've gotta ask. I finally played "Red Dead Redemption" a month ago and it got me into a cowboy/Western phase. I adored the characters and the story, which I think was one of the best I've ever played, and I really enjoyed the gameplay, sandbox, the combat... pretty much everything, haha. Are there any other Wild West-y games out there with a story or atmosphere anywhere near that good? Would prefer things for the PC, but 360 is cool too.

tensai
May 8, 2007

Just trying to keep my boyfriend away from that redheaded harlot.
It might be an easy answer, but the undead nightmare expansion pack is completely worth it.

Otherwise, my knowledge is limited to consoles, but there's Gun. I've actually never played it and it got really mixed reviews. Same with Red Dead Revolver. RDR is sorta, kinda the sequel to it.

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

Count Choculitis posted:

Probably a longshot, but I've gotta ask. I finally played "Red Dead Redemption" a month ago and it got me into a cowboy/Western phase. I adored the characters and the story, which I think was one of the best I've ever played, and I really enjoyed the gameplay, sandbox, the combat... pretty much everything, haha. Are there any other Wild West-y games out there with a story or atmosphere anywhere near that good? Would prefer things for the PC, but 360 is cool too.
I enjoyed the first Call of Juarez for the PC, although I haven't played the sequel(s?). It's a first person shooter in the old west, and it has some very nice moments and (IIRC) fun combat.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

I got a sudden urge to play Splinter Cell, which one is the best? Preferably one thats on Steam. I already beat Conviction (yes I know its very different from the previous ones)

Bats
Sep 6, 2003

With great power comes great responsiblity...TO ROCK OUT!

tensai posted:

It might be an easy answer, but the undead nightmare expansion pack is completely worth it.

Otherwise, my knowledge is limited to consoles, but there's Gun. I've actually never played it and it got really mixed reviews. Same with Red Dead Revolver. RDR is sorta, kinda the sequel to it.

Gun has nowhere near the depth or story that Red Dead Does, but it's about as close as you can get to that setting/a well done story on the pc at this point. I played and beat this game a few years back and it was a thoroughly enjoyable experience.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Demicol posted:

I got a sudden urge to play Splinter Cell, which one is the best? Preferably one thats on Steam. I already beat Conviction (yes I know its very different from the previous ones)

Chaos Theory is probably the best one.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Demicol posted:

Yeah, go with Chaos Theory - unless you've got a hankering to play several, in which case start with the first one as it gets better as it goes on. Probably avoid Double Agent is it tries to change the mechanics a bit but not enough to make it worthwhile. Also I know there are bits of story that weren't in the 360 version that WERE in the old Xbox version and have no idea how that translates to the PC version.

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa
You can avoid Pandora Tomorrow as well, it's hideously on rails and punishes the most minor of infractions so it gets quite tedious, as well as being batshit storywise (obviously par for course but it doesn't help).

I would play the original for nostalgia, or Chaos Theory, in that order. Chaos Theory has one of the best videogame soundtracks ever by Amon Tobin, who I happen to love, as well as Jesper Kyd of Hitman fame chipping in with scoring for the cut scenes.

If you have an original Xbox, play that version of Double Agent, made by Ubi Montreal. It's infinitely superior to the 360 version made by Ubi Shanghai (who also made Pandora Tomorrow).

Harmonica fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Apr 5, 2011

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Morpheus posted:

After reading through the "Name that game from the screenshot!" thread, I'm suddenly in the mood for some old-school dungeon crawlers for PC (preferably first-person). Ones with preferably a not-lovely interface. I already know about the Ultima Underworld, Might & Magic, and Wizardry series of course, so just lay on any suggestions you have.

I prefer smooth-scrolling turns and not-turn based battle, but I'll give anything a shot.

Well, there's a billion of these of all sorts. The absolute best one that you should play if you haven't already is Lands of Lore: Throne of Chaos. Really fantastic game all around and very playable. Make sure you get the CD version if you want the voice overs, they're actually pretty good.

Some others you might take a look at:

Dungeon Master 1 & 2 - Pretty obvious choices. The interfaces are good in both, but you might need to dig up some maps if you get lost, they can be pretty confusing.

Eye of the Beholder - Pretty well known series, it's got tons of puzzles and it can be pretty hard, but it's not too complicated and the interface works fine.

Captive 1 - Pretty fun and unique sci-fi FPRPG. Really incoherent maps and some really strange interface choices unfortunately, but there are a few websites out there that can help get you started. Worth dabbling in, but it's REALLY hard and really nonsensical at times. There are effectively an unlimited number of dungeons too. The same team also made a game called Knightmare but I haven't played that yet to tell you if it's any good or not (it doesn't even have a Wiki page).

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Bats posted:

Gun has nowhere near the depth or story that Red Dead Does, but it's about as close as you can get to that setting/a well done story on the pc at this point. I played and beat this game a few years back and it was a thoroughly enjoyable experience.

I enjoyed Gun too, looking back though I can't help but feel they set their sights slightly too low, I think they could have easily done a lot more with that game.

The world was actually kinda small for a game of it's type, and it's hilariously easy to get 100%

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
I've heard good things about Call of Juarez 2, and the first one was pretty fun on Xbox.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Demicol posted:

Chaos Theory is the only one worth your time. The original and Pandora Tomorrow are both so flawed in core elements of gameplay it's almost laughable.

In the original stealth was just broken. Shooting your silenced pistol from anywhere and any enemy knew exactly where you where. It was almost comical to watch 5 guys turn around instantly and pin-point your exact location and start firing at you within a half second. Additionally the hit boxes are pretty hosed up and you'll find yourself missing when firing at things about 5' away.

Pandora Tomorrow has all the same flaws and is also linear as hell.

Chaos Theory has much better hit boxes and instant KOs when in close combat, compared to old games where you would elbow someone and they'd just keep shooting you unphased.

Chaos Theory is the only Splinter Cell game worth your time and it is indeed one of the best games ever made.

I never played Double Agent so that one might be good too but I can't say if it is or if it isn't.

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

If Chaos Theory has system link coop play it's worth it for that alone - I assume the servers for it online are long since turned off. Although Conviction's coop story is also excellent (arguably better than the single player).

Redshirt 3
Dec 2, 2004

World Domination? I'll leave that to the religious nuts or the Republicans, thank you
Please help me resist the siren song calling me back to WoW. I need a game with a good multiplayer community- something where I can meet new people and play with them co-operatively. I want to play something with team tactics with real humans that isn't an MMO that will devour all my time. I play FPSs and RPGs on the PC. Any suggestions?

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Redshirt 3 posted:

Please help me resist the siren song calling me back to WoW. I need a game with a good multiplayer community- something where I can meet new people and play with them co-operatively. I want to play something with team tactics with real humans that isn't an MMO that will devour all my time. I play FPSs and RPGs on the PC. Any suggestions?

Heroes of Newerth. Be warned though, it can be every bit as addictive as WoW.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Well, there's a billion of these of all sorts. The absolute best one that you should play if you haven't already is Lands of Lore: Throne of Chaos.

Dungeon Master 1 & 2

Eye of the Beholder

Captive 1

I will definitely try Throne of Chaos. I've played Eye of the Beholder before and...eh I don't know. Didn't really like it for some reason (perhaps it was all the teleport puzzles and stuff). Also I'll check out Dungeon Master, as I've heard quite a lot about it but never got around to trying it. Captive 1 looks pretty interesting too, definitely never seen a sci-fi dungeon crawler before. Thanks!

Also, are you talking about this Knightmare?

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
Are there are current-gen shooters like Vanquish? I.E. shooters focused much more on being fast and arcadey than the current glut of gritty military shooters.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Frankosity posted:

Are there are current-gen shooters like Vanquish? I.E. shooters focused much more on being fast and arcadey than the current glut of gritty military shooters.

No joke, 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand is a great score-based arcadey shooter. It's a cover based shooter but encourages you to go for combos, finish them with melee kills and hammer on the swear button at all times. It does not take itself seriously at all.

Bulletstorm is the obvious choice but I didn't enjoy it that much for some reason I can't explain.

edit: If you're willing to go back in time Painkiller and Max Payne's New York Minute mode are still the kings of that kind of shooter IMO.

Internet Friend fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Apr 6, 2011

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
Painkiller will wear out your fire button, it's a ton of fun. But also yeah, Blood on the Sand needs all the love it can get

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Morpheus posted:

I will definitely try Throne of Chaos. I've played Eye of the Beholder before and...eh I don't know. Didn't really like it for some reason (perhaps it was all the teleport puzzles and stuff). Also I'll check out Dungeon Master, as I've heard quite a lot about it but never got around to trying it. Captive 1 looks pretty interesting too, definitely never seen a sci-fi dungeon crawler before. Thanks!

Also, are you talking about this Knightmare?

Oh yeah, that is it. Must have had a brain fart after seeing the wiki page for the other Knightmare game. Need to give it a try at some point, unfortunately it's like 3rd down on my list of obscure FPRPGs on the Amiga to attempt to play through (after Captive 2 and Perihelion).

borf
Apr 5, 2006

pigdog posted:

Heroes of Newerth. Be warned though, it can be every bit as addictive as WoW.
This is a great game and mostly fits what you're looking for, except for the "good community" part. Huge learning curve for new players, which essentially brands you as a "nub human being please uninstall now" to most of the player base. Definitely worth checking out if you can get a few friends on board, but don't expect to make e-friends through it very easily.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.

Internet Friend posted:

No joke, 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand is a great score-based arcadey shooter. It's a cover based shooter but encourages you to go for combos, finish them with melee kills and hammer on the swear button at all times. It does not take itself seriously at all.

Bulletstorm is the obvious choice but I didn't enjoy it that much for some reason I can't explain.

edit: If you're willing to go back in time Painkiller and Max Payne's New York Minute mode are still the kings of that kind of shooter IMO.

Huh. I might give it a try in that case, thanks...

I should've said, I own Painkiller Black Edition. I got pretty far but ended up kind of getting bored. Bulletstorm looked interesting until I heard it was a thin veneer of anarchic arcade fun over the same lumbering Gears of War stuff.

RazWasTaken
Apr 16, 2008
This may be a shot in the dark but does anyone know of any games similar to "The Dishwasher: Dead Samurai" and its sequel "The Dishwasher: Vampire Smile" but for the PC? I spotted This earlier, watched the video and got excited until I realized both games are XBLA exclusives. I don't own a 360 so I was hoping there was a side scrolling beat em up that's fast paced, action packed, and potentially gory on the PC.

RazWasTaken fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Apr 7, 2011

socksnogger
Nov 16, 2010
Looking for: Good crafting game
Platform: Any really, PC preferred

I really like the hunting for, collecting, and crafting items in games. I like the crafting in WoW, Guild Wars, Monster Hunter Tri but other aspects of those games made me quit them.

I am looking for a fun game (not Minecraft) that has a good item collecting/crafting aspect to it.

Thanks

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

socksnogger posted:

I really like the hunting for, collecting, and crafting items in games. I like the crafting in WoW, Guild Wars, Monster Hunter Tri but other aspects of those games made me quit them.

It sounds like A Tale in the Desert (http://www.atitd.com/) was made for you.

quote:

A Tale in the Desert is a Massive Multiplayer Online Roleplaying Game (MMO) set in ancient Egypt. The game focuses on crafting and trading, mixed with strong social challenges.

I have no idea how good/fun it is, but it's been around for ages so some people must like it.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

Gravy Jones posted:

It sounds like A Tale in the Desert (http://www.atitd.com/) was made for you.

I have no idea how good/fun it is, but it's been around for ages so some people must like it.

A Tale in the Desert can be really fun, but it's an extremely social game. You either want to play it with friends or goons, and the goon community died out a while ago. :( You might want to wait for a revival, it seems to come back around every new telling or so.

Azmodaii
Aug 16, 2008
I'm looking for a sandbox exploration, trading game where you basically control a ship / space ship / person and then do whatever the gently caress you want.

Kinda like space rangers 2, port royale, even mount and blade... I've tried x3 which everyone loves and whilst its a fantastic game, the learning curve is too hard for me, i can't invest that much time into it.

Any game like SR2, or port royale, where you can just jump straight into the game would work, I realise its not the most popular genre out there but you gotta try :)

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

Ship: Sid Meier's Pirates! obviously. For more focus on trading and management try Patrician (3 or 4; you don't sail a ship directly, you charter your own crews and tell them what to do).

Space ship: the two you mention are two of the best. Freelancer was great back in the day even if it never quite achieved what it set out to do. Old school games like Prospector and Transcendence are both currently in development.

Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space might hit the spot. The emphasis is on short, compulsive gameplay that plays out differently each time. It's a tad expensive maybe, like most things on Shrapnel's catalogue.

doctor iono posted:

A Tale in the Desert can be really fun, but it's an extremely social game. You either want to play it with friends or goons, and the goon community died out a while ago. :( You might want to wait for a revival, it seems to come back around every new telling or so.

Or just read the old threads and live vicariously through them. In person it's shocking ugly, clunky and runs like rear end. I think 'you had to be there' probably applies to it, sort of like all weirdo MMOs.

Harmonica fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Apr 8, 2011

modig
Aug 20, 2002

Azmodaii posted:

I'm looking for a sandbox exploration, trading game where you basically control a ship / space ship / person and then do whatever the gently caress you want.

If you're willing to do some SNES I think you should check out Uncharted Water: New Horizons, one of my all time favorites.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Azmodaii posted:

Kinda like space rangers 2, port royale, even mount and blade... I've tried x3 which everyone loves and whilst its a fantastic game, the learning curve is too hard for me, i can't invest that much time into it.

Any game like SR2, or port royale, where you can just jump straight into the game would work, I realise its not the most popular genre out there but you gotta try :)

You should try Transcendence, there are definite similarities to SR2. It's also free, so at worst you're out a few minutes.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

socksnogger posted:

Looking for: Good crafting game
Platform: Any really, PC preferred

I am looking for a fun game (not Minecraft) that has a good item collecting/crafting aspect to it.

Thanks

UnReal World has a lot of these sorts of elements as practically everything in-game can be made by the player through scavenging of items and animal parts, to the point you can build your own house. It's a little bit limited in scope, though--after you get yourself established in-game there's not a whole lot to do.

Azmodaii
Aug 16, 2008
thanks guys, i will look into all your suggestions :)

I remember playing transcendence and then forgetting about it, that game is brutal... was meant to play it properly but then forgot.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."
If you can get hold of a copy, Ultima VII is well worth playing.

It came out in 92/93 (forget which one) for MS-DOS, was a really good game.

The game includes complex moral choices, party/inventory management, a great main quest and enough subquests to keep you busy for DAYS. That's a lot for a game from the early 90's!

It's also so long that they had to release it in 2 parts. Part I "The Black Gate" and Part II "Serpent Isle". Both are great, just don't play Part II without playing Part I or you'll ruin it for youself.

Seriously, it's well worth giving a go! It's not that hard to find a copy on eBay either!

It's fully compatable with Windows 7 etc with a free tool called Exult (http://exult.sourceforge.net/) Note: Exult doesn't give you the game for free, it's a tool that works with a legit installation.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Can anyone suggest a good Battletech type strategy game? While I enjoy Mechwarrior and the like, I'm looking for more in the style of commanding an overall squad of mechs rather than piloting/customizing one. The latest I've been fiddling around with is Titans of Steel, but I wondered if anything newer may be around.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Kammat posted:

Can anyone suggest a good Battletech type strategy game? While I enjoy Mechwarrior and the like, I'm looking for more in the style of commanding an overall squad of mechs rather than piloting/customizing one. The latest I've been fiddling around with is Titans of Steel, but I wondered if anything newer may be around.

MechCommander 1/2 might be what you're looking for. Squad-based tactical combat, though I've only played the games where you actually pilot them so I don't know how well MechCommander fits in the strategy side of things.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Azmodaii posted:

Apart from what was already posted - an arcade comedy option would be Darkstar One - it's a very enjoyable space sim but just drifts more into the action part of the gameplay. Launch some youtube gameplays and see if it's your cup of tea.

Another fantastic game is The Ur-Quan Masters but this one puts emphasis on the...dare I say...story?...in my space sim? Maybe it's more an atmosphere/setting thing. It's also pretty old, so pixels ahoy! (it's also legally available for free here)

Palpek fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Apr 11, 2011

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Palpek posted:

Another fantastic game is The Ur-Quan Masters but this one puts emphasis on the...dare I say...story?...in my space sim? Maybe it's more an atmosphere/setting thing. It's also pretty old, so pixels ahoy! (it's also legally available for free here)

I'd recommend a mod that removes a time limit present in the game, especially if you're more of the type that enjoys slowly exploring the universe. I think one of the mods here does that (I haven't tried them).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

I'm looking for a base-builder or some kind of equivalent. I've gotten the base-building bug from a combination of dwarf fortress and minecraft, and I've played/got these games:

Evil Genius
Dungeon Keeper 1/2
Stronghold 1/2
C&C Tiberian Sun
Topico series
Anno series
Company of Heroes
Dawn of War

... plus loads of others I can't recall off the top of my head

I'm looking for games that place a lot of emphasis on in-depth base building or possibly small settlement building. I'm not looking for the larger-scale stuff like building cities a la Sim City. If its sci-fi or modern day, that would preferable.

It doesn't necessarily have to have combat, but I think that would be a bonus, like in Space Colony, which is from the same people who made Stronghold. Basically, the more complex and in-depth the building aspect of the game is, the better.

I realise that I will probably have played most, if not all the suggestions you may have (I really am into these games, I've even tried the shittier ones (this nuclear aftermath game I can't remember the name of, but was awful) and ones from ages past like Warwind 2 :D) but I appreciate any new gems you may have to share.