Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Himuro posted:

This is loving genius. :psyduck:
Haha, thanks. I wish I was good enough at the map editor to get the barrels equally spaced out, and the only way to set them off was to spawn someone above the barrels and have them die. This is also back when MTA had a 25fps cap limit, so all those explosions would slow you down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think TLAD and TBOGT are what we are getting as the vice city and san andreas of this generation. If GTAV is a new continuity, I wouldn't mind at all.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

The only GTA I've played was the GBA version, but I'm thinking of buying the set. How hard is it to get adjusted from the 2D world in the GBA to the 3D world from III onwards?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Cojawfee posted:

I think TLAD and TBOGT are what we are getting as the vice city and san andreas of this generation. If GTAV is a new continuity, I wouldn't mind at all.

I doubt they're switching to a brand new engine though, so it's more like TLAD and BoGT combined are Vice City (collectively titled Episodes From Liberty City), and the next game is going to be the San Andreas of the current GTA generation.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Have you played any other sandbox games like mafia or saints row or anything like that? It's the same thing pretty much.

Bat Ham
Apr 22, 2008

Bat Nan

Gils posted:

The only GTA I've played was the GBA version, but I'm thinking of buying the set. How hard is it to get adjusted from the 2D world in the GBA to the 3D world from III onwards?

If you've played any 3D third person games in over the last 10 years you should be fine.

TRANT RESNER MAN
Jun 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Does anyone play PC GTA IV multiplayer anymore? I got in the mood for some Free mode mayhem but there wasn't a soul online. I don't have any of the dlc dunno if that makes a difference.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Gils posted:

When I got GTAIII back when it was released, I choose the camera that emulated the 2D view.
But now I got the two classic games, and I can't really see how the hell I played those games so much. I think my reflexes might have deteriorated.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I have a really nostalgic about San Andreas, I hope we get a remake at some point.

Actually I'd love a port for the 3DS, I figure it would keep costs reasonable for something that probably wouldn't sell that well.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Its not GTA, but its close enough: True Crime: Streets of LA, is it any good? I saw it in a bargain bin for the PC (i think) the other day. But is it worth my time? The reviews i've seen are really mixed. Any goons played this?

AN AOL CHAT ROOM
Feb 22, 2003

Power-shovelling fat turds into my cock busted syphilitic maw. Like a fat cunt shovels doughnuts. The resulting turds from my hemorrhoid infested goat fucked ass are pure gold compared to my shitting posts.

GyverMac posted:

Its not GTA, but its close enough: True Crime: Streets of LA, is it any good? I saw it in a bargain bin for the PC (i think) the other day. But is it worth my time? The reviews i've seen are really mixed. Any goons played this?
The mechanics are all right but you'll cry from boredom at the copy-pasted building textures. It's not at all like GTA games where you can immediately tell where you are by the uniqueness of the structures around you. No matter where you are, everything looks the same.

Lee Van Queef
Aug 27, 2007

by Ozma

GyverMac posted:

No, it isn't at all. Check out the Let's Play if you really want to know what it's like.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

GyverMac posted:

I thought it was worth it for the ridiculous action-movie type poo poo you could do. If I remember correctly you can shoot the gas tank of any car and make it explode, even while you are driving. Also you can arrest people for no reason and just generally gently caress with them. I remember the fighting system being a little deeper than GTA4s at least.

Just get ready for some ridiculous fantasy poo poo in the sewers :stare:

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

GyverMac posted:

The first time you get into a big cinematic gunfight you'll think "actually this game RULES." Then everything will come crashing down around you and you'll wonder how the hell people actually managed to finish the game.

Multiplesarcasm
Mar 3, 2006

a corduroy explosion.
I loaded up my copy of GTA: SA and turned on the following cheats:

- Pedestrian Riot
- Pedestrian Guns
- Aggressive Drivers
- All cars have tank properties
- Cars can fly
- Loaded up on life, armor
- Got the Advanced weapons group, including the rocket launcher.

I loaded from my garage in Hashbury, spawned a Monster and proceeded to crush every vehicle as the world around me collapsed. Cars exploding under my massively over-sized tires, I decide to push up and fly my car a few blocks away. After terrorizing an unsuspecting group of yuppiemobiles I fly up as high as I can, leap out, activate my Parachute cheat and proceed to coast into an opposing gang's territory. Promptly dispatching 3 thugs, a gang war begins where I win easily with rocket launchers and C4. I then rode a flying bike into the sunset.

What's not to like?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Flying vehicles was reminding me of the old flying cars cheat from, I think, Vice City. In that one (might've been in GTA III too), all the cars flied like Dodo planes, and they were really hard to control. But there was something really fun about fighting gravity, and it was exhilarating when you actually succeeded and remained airborne for a long time before the inevitable crash.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

TRANT RESNER MAN posted:

Does anyone play PC GTA IV multiplayer anymore? I got in the mood for some Free mode mayhem but there wasn't a soul online. I don't have any of the dlc dunno if that makes a difference.

It does make a difference because the popularity has died down and those who do play just play gay tony's multiplayer because it has the new bikes and parachutes.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

I convinced my friend to pick up the complete edition on D2D and got one for myself as well, even though I have a boxed copy of GTA IV. I haven't had a chance to try it myself yet (and I'm still running XP), but my friend is having trouble with it on Win7-64, the installer says it needs an... XP service pack? Anybody know what might be causing this?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Figured it out, compatibility mode was the solution.

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 12, 2011

genuinebald
Jul 10, 2008

Use me! Only use ME!
Well I'm most likely get seriously bashed here for this: But I really don't get the hate for GTA IV and the love for GTA:SA.

I've played every GTA Game, and I liked VC most of all the GTA III titles, San Andreas was good, but those Gang Wars were seriously annoying. GTA IV had everything a great game needs, immersive Gameplay, great graphics (yes it was a rushed console port, still I never had a problem getting it to run) and was overall a pretty good game.

E: Episodes from Liberty City were even better in some aspects. So I really look forward to GTA V

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Because SA is more silly fun, ala saints row 2, like parachuting onto a mansion and slapping dudes with a dildo, and GTA 4 is more let's go bowling with your annoying fat cousin.

e: oh, and crying about shooting a guy who is a genuine rear end in a top hat after road-killing hundreds of innocent peds

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Samopsa posted:

Because SA is more silly fun, ala saints row 2, like parachuting onto a mansion and slapping dudes with a dildo, and GTA 4 is more let's go bowling with your annoying fat cousin.

e: oh, and crying about shooting a guy who is a genuine rear end in a top hat after road-killing hundreds of innocent peds

Yeah, but that stuff is all on you. It's done better in RDR where the game actively pushes you to be a decent person, but ultimately, your not playing to the character. I can see why you don't like the acting and theres certainly a plot gameplay break involved, but it's you doing it, and it's actively out of character.

There are some really weird things in that games writing, but I cant call Niko splattering tons of dudes on purpose one of them.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
It's just that it's a big shift for the GTA series. All GTA games up to 4 were pretty drat goofy, with some hamfisted moral stuff thrown in to show people "look, it's not just about blindly killing everything! We're fighting corruption here! :downs:". GTA 4 is the other way around, Niko is going from a bad place to worse, and while he's pretty successful moneywise trough the game, his personal life gets worse and worse. Nothing is truly goofy or plain fun, everything works out to gently caress Niko over. You can understand why some people don't like that, right?

Games like Just Cause 2 and Saints Row 2 have picked up the old GTA-style and improved on it, and GTA itself is moving more into SERIOUS BUSINESS territory. I still liked the game, but SA is much more fun for me.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

ShineDog posted:

Yeah, but that stuff is all on you. It's done better in RDR where the game actively pushes you to be a decent person, but ultimately, your not playing to the character. I can see why you don't like the acting and theres certainly a plot gameplay break involved, but it's you doing it, and it's actively out of character.

There are some really weird things in that games writing, but I cant call Niko splattering tons of dudes on purpose one of them.

Well in the cutscenes Niko several times accept hit missions, and kill people he has no beef with just because some other dude promised money if he did so. This really crash with Nico constantly bitching and whining about murdering a genuinely bad person that actively worked against him and want to kill him.

GTA IV had pretty shoddy writing and the whole "oh so serious" schtick was a total miss if you ask me.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

GyverMac posted:

Well in the cutscenes Niko several times accept hit missions, and kill people he has no beef with just because some other dude promised money if he did so. This really crash with Nico constantly bitching and whining about murdering a genuinely bad person that actively worked against him and want to kill him.

GTA IV had pretty shoddy writing and the whole "oh so serious" schtick was a total miss if you ask me.

Just checking, but doesn't he bitch and moan about the life he is living and the person he has become, as opposed to most of the people he kills?

He gets frustrated/upset over killing certain people he considers, or had considered friends, certainly, but thats a different thing.

He certainly is inconsistently written sometimes, but I never thought it was as bad as some people made out. He is, ultimately, a completely broken and awful person, with enough humanity left that lets him lament it. I've never understood people who complain that Niko is written as a good guy who happens to kill people. He really isn't, and that's a complaint that can be aimed at CJ just as much as Niko.

What I do think is a good idea, as shown in TLAD and Gay Tony, is taking any financial plot drivers out of the players hands. Plot driving with nebulously defined debts over clubs with unknown value that belong to someone else? Much better than carrying 50000000000 in your pocket yet complaining you can only afford a hovel.

Where I really think GTA missed really, really loving hard, was with it's radio, which has become dumber and dumber over the years. Old games had fantastic radio shows with fantastic subplots where the DJ attempts to stop everyone swearing and getting fined to gently caress. Now we have WACKY WACKY RADIO with Fox news spouting utterly ridiculous garbage, Lazlow being painfully unfunny (And Lazlow used to rule), and it doesn't gel with the pseudo serious plot AT ALL.

ShineDog fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Apr 11, 2011

Lee Van Queef
Aug 27, 2007

by Ozma
GTA4's writing leaves a lot (a LOT) to be desired, but I actually really like the darker tone. It makes it feel more like a gritty mob movie than a zany action comedy like the previous games, especially SA. I just wish they'd make an attractive protagonist for once; Luis is definitely a step up from Niko or Johnny, but that's not saying much.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Lee Van Queef posted:

GTA4's writing leaves a lot (a LOT) to be desired, but I actually really like the darker tone. It makes it feel more like a gritty mob movie than a zany action comedy like the previous games, especially SA. I just wish they'd make an attractive protagonist for once; Luis is definitely a step up from Niko or Johnny, but that's not saying much.

It'll never, ever happen, but I'd like to see a woman in a leading role.

Lee Van Queef
Aug 27, 2007

by Ozma

ShineDog posted:

It'll never, ever happen, but I'd like to see a woman in a leading role.

My dream is a game set in San Andreas in the 1970s based on blaxploitation movies like Foxy Brown and Coffy.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
It's loving grand theft auto stop giving a poo poo about storyline

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I will as soon as Rockstar do. :colbert:

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

I for one thoroughly enjoyed both San Andreas and GTA4. Video game funtimes. :shobon:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Zigmidge posted:

I don't care about storyline so much as I care about my character being the type who I could accept running over a bunch of people "just because". They brought that type of character back with Luis Lopez, who genuinely acts like he wouldn't care one bit if he mowed down hundreds of bystanders in his souped-up sportscar, because "poo poo happens, man". He's like the perfect blend of polite, level-headed "business man" and total psycho rear end in a top hat.

In a way it's like Luis is the only GTA IV protagonist who feels like he really belongs in Liberty City. Maybe that's what they were going for, I don't know, but I think they should've just taken Niko and Johnny out and made GTA IV entirely about Luis. He's the one protagonist who actually made sense in the setting.

They could've even combined the three stories into one, and had Luis in his early thug days take the place of Johnny's story of a struggling, poor biker. Then Luis works his way up the criminal underworld, gets a job as a bouncer, gets noticed by Tony Prince... that'd be Niko's story, sort of. Then the final part would be after Luis is a successful co-owner of the biggest nightclub in Liberty City.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Apr 11, 2011

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Zigmidge posted:

Unfortunately, Rockstar makes it all about the storyline these days, because ya know...every game needs to pretend to be a movie these days.

So it's pretty impossible to not give a poo poo about the storyline given how important it is to today's GTA.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
I dunno I watch whatever insane drivel they have on screen laughing at jokes as they get dropped and then I go back to listening to awesome radio stations.

That argument doesn't work, by the way, when the denizens of your thread keep comparing IV to 3, VC and SA - games that were from a time, presumably, when it wasn't all about storyline. Either they all are about the storyline and are all loving stupid nonsensical hilarity or they're all about the whacky gameplay and the storyline is a vehicle for absurd situations and joke dropping. Pick one (Hint, they're the same thing).

It's a hilarious discussion to be reading while I'm trying to help some small time side street thugs steal weapons from the army with my purple rubber dildo and a forklift all while being told that I'm a buster for some poo poo you never even see the main character do.

Lurkman
Nov 4, 2008
GTA IV's attempt to be dark and brooding doesn't work so well when it's mostly conveyed by characters in cutscenes who talk and talk and talk to convey that this is dark and brooding, while gesticulating as if they're addicts in withdrawal. I was watching one cutscene involving Vlad and there was this super-gesticulation going on with his arms that reminded me of something, and then I realized just what that was.
A serious, mature storyline generally doesn't come off well when your actors look like marionettes being controlled by epileptics and literally have to say what their mood is(brooding and conflicted).

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Though I really like the gameplay of GTAIV better, I'll admit that the stories of the GTAIII games were much better. The serious plot of IV leaves a lot to be desired. The other games are filled with wacky and zany poo poo that makes it feel like a hilarious movie like Hot Fuzz or something. It's interesting because you're doing crazy poo poo and it's always something new. In IV it's nothing but killing people in a new way or something. I'll admit that the bank heist was freakin amazing, but there isn't much in the game that really stands out.

Though, I guess I'm mostly thinking about San Andreas. GTAIII was pretty dark and serious. Vice City was just nuts, and SA had batshit crazy stuff in it

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Just finished the GTA 4 storyline this morning.

It does need to be mentioned that GTA 4 is only superficially similar to older games like Vice City. Sure, you drive around fast and run over people and cause some mayhem, but I never did end up flying a remote control plane to drop grenades onto evil guys' boats, or anything like that. Kinda makes me feel like GTA 4 and GTA VC simply defy comparison.

In GTA 4 what really makes me mad is that I can't move Niko around as quickly as, for example, I myself can move. Take the example of the last mission when you jump down onto the dock and get on a bike to chase the mobster in the boat along the shore. Jump too far and land in the water? Sucks for you, by the time you actually manage to get Niko up on the ladder and onto the bike, that mobster is gonna be halfway to Vice City. Ladders, swimming, swimming towards ladders, and most anything involving trying to move around lots of stuff close to you in a hurry really sucks, especially when I'm used to COD and BFBC2 where movement in close quarters is fluid, fast and easy. It's way too much trouble to just turn around and run away so you can hide behind something, especially if there's anything at all in your way.

The cover system is kinda cumbersome and ridiculously unrealistic that you can see around the cover you're hiding behind without poking your head out, but it generally works well. I do like seeing how many blindfire headshots I can get.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Calling movement in any DICE game smooth is more than a little :wtc:, but yeah. Euphoria is cool, but staggering and the other effects it has are some of those things that are fun to do but usually not fun to have done to you. It feels like Niko has the same physics thresholds as everyone else, while the game would play a lot better if he was more physically capable and could do cool poo poo like sliding or running across the hood of a moving car if you jump across it.

The cover system is bad too, like all cover systems. It's the main reason that combat in GTA4 is really boring.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Cover systems are awful unless they're in Uncharted or Vanquish :colbert:

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

K8.0 posted:

Calling movement in any DICE game smooth is more than a little :wtc:, but yeah. Euphoria is cool, but staggering and the other effects it has are some of those things that are fun to do but usually not fun to have done to you. It feels like Niko has the same physics thresholds as everyone else, while the game would play a lot better if he was more physically capable and could do cool poo poo like sliding or running across the hood of a moving car if you jump across it.
At least in BFBC2 or COD I don't have to run around in circles to reorient myself after I try to do something as laughable as turning around to run back for cover when evil bitches are shooting at me. Just a mouse twitch and go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dunc-uk
Jul 27, 2002

Himuro posted:

Cover systems are awful unless they're in Uncharted or Vanquish :colbert:

...or Call of Juarez - Bound in Blood.

• Locked thread