Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clockwork automaton
May 2, 2007

You've probably never heard of them.

Fun Shoe
code:
fp = popen("cat /dev/pi", "r");
Okay, it's student code but this code manages to be bad and clever at the same time that I couldn't help but share.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

clockwork automaton posted:

code:
fp = popen("cat /dev/pi", "r");
Okay, it's student code but this code manages to be bad and clever at the same time that I couldn't help but share.

Tell me /dev/pi generates pi in binary.

The Reaganomicon
Oct 14, 2010

by Lowtax

fritz posted:

Tell me /dev/pi generates pi in binary.

The first hit for "/dev/pi" is this and clockwork automaton is from UoP, so yes, it's pi. :v:

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

I'm not the best with Java, but I think this counts, right?

code:
public static String readUrl(String urlString) {
	BufferedReader in = null;
	String output = "";
	try {
		try {
			in = new BufferedReader(new InputStreamReader(
					new URL(urlString).openStream()));
			output = new String();
			String line;
			while ((line = in.readLine()) != null) {
				output += line + newline;
			}
		} finally {
			if (in != null)
				in.close();
		}
	} catch (IOException e) {
		e.printStackTrace();
	}
	return output;
}

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

Munkeymon posted:

I'm not the best with Java, but I think this counts, right?

code:
 BufferedReader in = null;
 String output = "";
 try {
  try {
   in = new BufferedReader(new InputStreamReader(
     new URL(urlString).openStream()));
   output = new String();
   String line;
   while ((line = in.readLine()) != null) {
    output += line + newline;
   }
  } finally {
   if (in != null)
    in.close();
  }
 } catch (IOException e) {
  e.printStackTrace();
 }
 return output;
}

It's not completely horrible, it just looks like a C programmer that's still stuck assuming everything needs a null-check or to be allocated manually.

Also, concatting strings like that should be done with StringBuilder or something.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Geekner posted:

It's not completely horrible, it just looks like a C programmer that's still stuck assuming everything needs a null-check or to be allocated manually.

Also, concatting strings like that should be done with StringBuilder or something.

The real horror here is that they overloaded mathematical operators for strings and thus broke consistency.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

HFX posted:

The real horror here is that they overloaded mathematical operators for strings and thus broke consistency.

Java strings are a confusing mess. Features like that += operator are designed around ease of use, not speed. Anyone who understands this mess well will avoid them like the plague. When you stare into the enterprise, the enterprise stares into you.

That code snippet just shows that the programmer doesn't understand Java strings very well. Each += operation creates a new string, wasting memory and processing time. With StringBuilder, he could just append the string and generate the final string when he's done reading from input.

zeekner fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Apr 11, 2011

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Am I missing something, or could that whole thing be replaced with:

code:
  return urlString;
}
Since all it does is copy urlString line-by-line and then return the copy, and since Java strings are immutable making a copy is pointless?

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

ToxicFrog posted:

Am I missing something, or could that whole thing be replaced with:

code:
  return urlString;
}

code:
new URL(urlString).openStream()
This is a shortcut to open an inputstream from that URL, for opening a webpage or something.

The code just opens/reads/concats a webpage or file into a string.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
I read a great story of coding horrors this weekend:

http://www.machine9.net/blog/?p=592

Apparently Eve Online changed their official forums, replacing their whole system with YAF. Not only could you manually change your cookie to post as anyone you want, but you could also put any javascript, html, and flash you want in your post signature. It's like a phisher's dream.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Geekner posted:

Java strings are a confusing mess. Features like that += operator are designed around ease of use, not speed. Anyone who understands this mess well will avoid them like the plague. The further you look into the enterprise, the more the enterprise looks into you.

That code snippet just shows that the programmer doesn't understand Java strings very well. Each += operation creates a new string, wasting memory and processing time. With StringBuilder, he could just append the string and generate the final string when he's done reading from input.

I was talking about the language designers, and not the programmer who wrote that code. I know why the + and += is there, but I think it was a poor design decision to overload for strings even for ease of use and not allow any other overloading where it made sense (Integer, Float, etc before autoboxing). String overloading, the equal() method vs '==', and the protected keyword are the 3 features I loath about Java.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I remember reading somewhere that the Java compiler now actually detects cases where it seems a string is being built, and replaces String concatenation operations with a StringBuilder.

But I wonder how the code above will perform if handed the URL of a binary file, I imagine it might end up performing newline transformations on the data.
The main WTF is reading line-by-line instead of just a fixed-size buffer.

Other WTFs:

String output = "";
// ... no assignments to output
output = new String();

No error reporting. Empty resource looks the same as any kind of error.

But it isn't really a horror IMO.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Geekner posted:

3/4 of the people I work with are C programmers no matter what language they're using.

I figured there would be some way to do it that wouldn't involve looping on read. Hasn't Soracle added some utility method to move bytes from a readable stream to a string (or just any writable stream) since I stopped paying attention 6 years ago? I mean, I know Java developers have an unnatural love for watching their LoC count go up and all, but drat.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Thought this was kind of neat. ISC has the 'Application Security Streetfighter Blog'. They post a (closed usually) vulnerability each week from an OSS project every Friday, and then people figure out what the actual vuln was. I only found it today but I am going to keep checking back I think. Haven't checked if any true horrors are to be found there, but couldn't think of another thread that would appreciate it:
http://software-security.sans.org/blog/

NotShadowStar
Sep 20, 2000
Reading that site just get me mad about PHP again. I swear to loving christ the PHP lead team has absolutely no clue the responsibility they hold. It needs to be built-in automatic into the language for safely escaping anything that comes from outside, not this huge crazy confusing as loving hell list of htmlspecialchars, strip_tags, htmlescape, add_slashes, strip_slashes, escape_string, real_escape_string. Any framework worth anything automatically safely encodes everything, so the PHP langage, which is only good for web work at best, should loving do it. Could even follow the idiotic PHP naming conventions and call them $_POST_REAL_USE_THIS_ONE_YOU_INDIAN_FUCKWIT, real_really_real_html_safe_this_string(), $db->cleans_your_query_you_filthy_fuck. Then depreciate and remove all the old unsafe ones. An entire loving class of errors would disappear overnight if the PHP team would just stop being absolute morons.

Goddamn I'm mad about PHP.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

The Reaganomicon posted:

The first hit for "/dev/pi" is this and clockwork automaton is from UoP, so yes, it's pi. :v:

The true horror is that it's a decimal representation.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

NotShadowStar posted:

I got the impression they were using http://yetanotherforum.net/ which would be C#, but I can see why you would assume it was PHP.

edit: yup, my bad - I just skimmed the blog to read later and didn't see it was about PHP. also, I have no idea why I assumed he was talking about the CCP thing.

Munkeymon fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Apr 11, 2011

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

Munkeymon posted:

I got the impression they were using http://yetanotherforum.net/ which would be C#, but I can see why you would assume it was PHP.

I think he is posting about the post directly above his, i.e. the one about PHP.

Fehler
Dec 14, 2004

NotShadowStar posted:

I don't see how this is different from any other language. C/Java/Python let you build a query string from scratch too, so you can end up with exactly the same bugs. The problem is stupid developers who are still not using prepared statements, not PHP.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"

Frozen-Solid posted:

Apparently Eve Online changed their official forums, replacing their whole system with YAF. Not only could you manually change your cookie to post as anyone you want, but you could also put any javascript, html, and flash you want in your post signature. It's like a phisher's dream.
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

For those who don't know, CCP is the company that accidentally deleted boot.ini during a routine update because they couldn't figure out how to change directories in an install script.

They also released a "Linux version" of their game, which was slower and significantly less stable than just using the Windows version in Wine.

Giving up on EVE was one of the best things I ever did for my life.

NotShadowStar
Sep 20, 2000
I just knew that'd be the first response.

Java, C#, Python, Ruby et all are general purpose languages. The primary goal is not web development, but web development stacks have been added to them. Usually, at least the better ones, these stacks also give the developer easy access variables or classes that are automatically filter things for you. Almost always you can get the raw data out of these stacks, like if you really really wanted unescaped POST data or SQL queries, but you have to explicitly do it. Often these stacks are built on lower level access stacks that don't filter, like Django built on WSGI, Rails on Rack, etc.

PHP is dealing on the lower level, unescaped input and output always. There is no reason for this. PHP is supposed to be a web development langage only, so they don't need the levels of abstraction that general purpose languages do. PHP's default should be sanitize input and output first just like the stacks built on other languages, with the ability to use raw data if you really, really need to. Most of the XSS and SQL injection attacks come from people who just don't loving know what can happen. You don't see nearly as many XSS or SQL injection from Spring, ASP.NET MVC, Django or Rails apps because they filter everything always. The PHP language more than anything needs to do exactly that. But they never will, because they're loving incompetent.

GODDAMN I'M MAD ABOUT PHP.

Xenos
Jun 17, 2005

Janin posted:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

For those who don't know, CCP is the company that accidentally deleted boot.ini during a routine update because they couldn't figure out how to change directories in an install script.

They also released a "Linux version" of their game, which was slower and significantly less stable than just using the Windows version in Wine.

I liked looking through the client's codebase when it leaked, a bunch of modules were just named after pop stars instead of anything useful. They also don't know how to update the billboards, because nobody in the company understands how they work.

quote:

Giving up on EVE was one of the best things I ever did for my life.

You and me both :hfive:

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

NotShadowStar posted:

PHP's default should be sanitize input

but they kind of tried that and it failed

quote:

because they're loving incompetent.

Oh, you already knew the whole time :)

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

Janin posted:

gently caress I forgot about this. Why would you even put a boot.ini file in your own game to begin with? That's just asking for trouble.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I think for me, of course it's possible to do the same things in other languages. But from a development standpoint, it just seems harder to do so, as opposed to PHP which seems to encourage these shortcuts. I say "seems" because I'm more of a "solve the problem in front of me" kind of programmer than "hmm yes algorithmic approach A will provide x% of performance gain versus B". I'm just glad I stopped with PHP around 3.0 when I started realizing "man this getting pretty complex for a glorified scripting language; if I wanted this kind of heartache I'll stick with Perl."

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Fehler posted:

I don't see how this is different from any other language. C/Java/Python let you build a query string from scratch too, so you can end up with exactly the same bugs. The problem is stupid developers who are still not using prepared statements, not PHP.

nope.

for why not, just read any of my posts on php. I hate to repeat myself.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Frozen-Solid posted:

Thanks for the writeup. I did notice the cookies were readable, which is a big nono. You can easily encrypt them.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
Fehler: php is a disgusting language and you should be ashamed of defending it.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

We should all take note that CCP replaced YAF's stock user authentication mechanism with their own proprietary system, and thus they were the source of the problem, not YAF.

(YAF has the usual anybody-with-an-email-can-signup system, while CCP wanted to automatically give accounts to their subscribers and nobody else.)

POKEMAN SAM
Jul 8, 2004

pseudorandom name posted:

We should all take note that CCP replaced YAF's stock user authentication mechanism with their own proprietary system, and thus they were the source of the problem, not YAF.

(YAF has the usual anybody-with-an-email-can-signup system, while CCP wanted to automatically give accounts to their subscribers and nobody else.)

I thought that it was YAF's fault that you could put Javascript/HTML/whatever in your signature, no?

Fehler
Dec 14, 2004

Oh, I'm not saying php isn't bad. There are many horrible things about it and when I have the choice I use something else. But expecting the language itself to magically guess the intent of the programmer and escape everything automatically seems a bit unreasonable. As I said, there are frameworks already that do all these things and "good" programmers use them. But if people choose to create their own SQL strings and echo out their HTML you can't really blame php for it.

And yes, I should really get rid of this avatar...

ninjeff
Jan 19, 2004

Fehler posted:

Oh, I'm not saying php isn't bad. There are many horrible things about it and when I But if people choose to create their own SQL strings and echo out their HTML you can't really blame php for it.

yes you can for exactly the reasons NotShadowStar posted

NotShadowStar
Sep 20, 2000
PHP's echo, print functions/keywords should be default escaped like any sane web development. GET, POST, PUT should also be escaped. remove mysql_* and force to use PDO. There you've now removed an enormous part of the Internet that's insecure. That's ALL THEY NEED TO DO. It would still be a poo poo language but at least it cuts out on most of the injection and XSS errors.

Fehler
Dec 14, 2004

Your argument doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Yes, it would have been nice if PHP had included these features from the start. But at a time when Perl/CGI was the only alternative, nobody was thinking about things like this. And now that you have this language you can't just suddenly start removing low-level features. If you break compatibility with pretty much every script ever written you might as well just switch to something like Ruby in the first place.

php makes it slightly easier to be a bad programmer than other languages, but that doesn't mean that there is no way to work with it at all.

And by the way, get/post/put is escaped by default, which is why you see all these random backslashes added on lovely php websites.

NotShadowStar
Sep 20, 2000
http://www.php.net/manual/en/security.magicquotes.php

"Magic Quotes is a process that automagically escapes incoming data to the PHP script. It's preferred to code with magic quotes off and to instead escape the data at runtime, as needed."

:siren: :siren: :siren: This feature has been DEPRECATED as of PHP 5.3.0. :siren: :siren: :siren:

http://www.php.net/manual/en/security.magicquotes.why.php

"Today developers are better aware of security"

:drat:

These people are loving CLUELESS.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
Magic quotes weren\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t ever a good idea hth

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

Otto Skorzeny posted:

Magic quotes weren\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t ever a good idea hth

what the gently caress are you talking about they were awesome

Smugdog Millionaire
Sep 14, 2002

8) Blame Icefrog
anybody defending PHP is the coding horror

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Fehler posted:

Your argument doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Yes, it would have been nice if PHP had included these features from the start. But at a time when Perl/CGI was the only alternative, nobody was thinking about things like this.

actually, your post doesn't make any sense whatsoever

perl had tainted perl.

these features are pretty easy to do with distinct types for sql statements, html and plain text.
and implicit conversions that deal with escapes.

it's not rocket science

but somehow, doing even something remotely sensible seems like a sisyphean feat to someone who has had long term exposure to php.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
this is what I mean by 'php gives you brain damage'. you lose the ability to distinguish between good and bad and what is actually possible in a language.

no no you don't understand, my ignorance of the past work justifies my ignorance of the present problems

tef fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Apr 12, 2011