Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fig Newton
Oct 29, 2005

tarepanda posted:

The air here gets really dry sometimes and causes the inside of my nose to crack and I get periodic nosebleeds. This is especially bad in allergy season. Is there a better way to manage this than periodically rubbing vaseline along the inside of my nose?
Antibiotic ointment, Vaseline, or Vicks Vap-O-Rub (my personal choice, I have the same problem in winter, I'm addicted to the endorphins released by that eucalyptus hit :D) applied (very, very carefully) with a sterile Q-tip or a kleenex wrapped around your finger is better than same applied with an unwrapped finger because the inside of your nostrils is already susceptible to hosting staph bacteria, which are on your fingers, and rubbing it into your nostrils with your fingers, you may be importing even more staph bacteria and making the problem worse.

Put the ointment just up inside your nostrils (please don't jam a Q-tip halfway up to your brain and then tell the ER doctors that "the Internet told me to do it!" :D ) and make sure you get some on your nasal septum, which is the divider there.

I have found that when I used to push my finger further up into my nose, like more than halfway up, like to where the really sensitive part begins, I had a lot more trouble with stuffiness, etc. This is because those delicate mucous membranes further up are easily irritated and inflamed, so I was actually compounding the problem. When I started just dabbing some on the inside of my nostrils, like where a nose stud would go, things were much better.

By the same token, when you're blowing your nose in allergy season (also a personal issue here), don't root around higher up in your nostrils, attempting to get all the last bits of snot out, because, again, you'll just irritate those delicate mucous membranes. I put up with a certain amount of snot in August and September in the interests of long-term care.

You can also get an assortment of saline nasal sprays, gels, and drops. You lie down on a bed or sofa on your back with your head hanging over the edge, and allow the drops/spray/gel to go in and run down the back of your throat and yes, it will make you cough, that's how you know it's in there. This may be difficult to do at work, though.

There are recipes on the Internet for how to make your own (much cheaper) saline nose drops.

Be aware that topical medicaments (i.e. antibiotic ointment, Vaseline, Vicks) can be contaminated by staph bacteria, so don't re-dip your snotty finger into your mega-tub of Vaseline.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2130167/

Fig Newton fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Apr 11, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
I need to move files from a MAC onto an external hard drive that has been used with windows computers (and will be used with windows in the future)

I plug the hd into the mac, and it says its read-only. How can i move these files onto the drive without:

1. deleting any of the info on the drive
2. making it unusable for windows

any help is appreciated!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Huntersoninski posted:

I need to move files from a MAC onto an external hard drive that has been used with windows computers (and will be used with windows in the future)

I plug the hd into the mac, and it says its read-only. How can i move these files onto the drive without:

any help is appreciated!

Number 1 might be a little tricky, but I'm guessing this is because the disk is formatted NTFS. If you format it as FAT32 it will be readable and writable on both Mac and Windows.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Huntersoninski posted:

any help is appreciated!
My understanding of the situation (which I've dealt with before) is thus, though somebody feel free to correct me if I'm wrong:

If none of the files are bigger than about 4 gigs, you could put them on a drive formatted to FAT32, but that's the only file system I know of that both Mac and Windows reads and writes to without an outside program (i.e. MacDrive for Windows that lets you use the Mac HFS+ file system). All the thumb drives I've ever used were FAT32, but if you want to use that one drive specifically, you either have to find a program for Mac that allows you to write to NTFS, or create a FAT32 partition on that drive.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!
My wrists are ludicrously small and I'm tired of having a giant tail hanging off of my watch, so I want to get the strap shortened. Should I take it to a watch repair place? Or a different kind of leather handler, like shoe repair?

Flashing Twelve
Mar 20, 2007

tarepanda posted:

You can ship it via freight, takes a while (4-6 weeks IIRC?) and is the cheapest that I know of.

What service would you recommend for this?

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

OH GOD WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN?
I am looking for a guide on how to attach a facecage to a Schutt DNA football helmet. Can I find one? Can I bollocks. It's the stock facecage, but I can't find a guide anywhere. Can anyone help?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

GenoCanSing posted:

I'm trying like hell to remember this one person I found one day hitting random on wikipedia. Here's what I can remember:

- He was a rock star in a not-that-huge band that had a cult following. Lead singer, I think, and the band was pretty heavy; gory lyrics I think.
- He committed suicide.
- Part of his fame was that he made a serious attempt to get some iconic movie role that eventually just went to a movie star. I'm 90% sure that the movie was in the 90's. He filmed his audition, and I think it said some collectors had the tape, but it was never leaked online.

I don't know why this popped in my head the other day, but if anyone knows who I'm talking about, I'd appreciate it.

Could it have been GG Allin?

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

haveblue posted:

Number 1 might be a little tricky, but I'm guessing this is because the disk is formatted NTFS. If you format it as FAT32 it will be readable and writable on both Mac and Windows.

CaptainViolence posted:

My understanding of the situation (which I've dealt with before) is thus, though somebody feel free to correct me if I'm wrong:

If none of the files are bigger than about 4 gigs, you could put them on a drive formatted to FAT32, but that's the only file system I know of that both Mac and Windows reads and writes to without an outside program (i.e. MacDrive for Windows that lets you use the Mac HFS+ file system). All the thumb drives I've ever used were FAT32, but if you want to use that one drive specifically, you either have to find a program for Mac that allows you to write to NTFS, or create a FAT32 partition on that drive.

Thank you both for the help! Ultimately some harder Googling got me the answer in the form of some useful freeware.

For anyone else with this issue, the programs MacFUSE and NTFS-3g were all I needed to get the issue sorted.

Thanks again for the speedy replies, hope all this helps someone in the future.

Fig Newton
Oct 29, 2005

Melicious posted:

My wrists are ludicrously small and I'm tired of having a giant tail hanging off of my watch, so I want to get the strap shortened. Should I take it to a watch repair place? Or a different kind of leather handler, like shoe repair?

A shoe repair shop won't be able to help you. Just cut it off yourself with a pair of scissors; that's all the shoe repair guy would do, shrugging, and then charge you $20. Or buy a stretchy metal link watchband and take it to a jeweler and have him remove enough links to make it fit.

Cutting it yourself with scissors is cheaper. Here's how.
http://www.ehow.com/how_6058520_make-watch-strap-smaller.html

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005

Fig Newton posted:

A shoe repair shop won't be able to help you. Just cut it off yourself with a pair of scissors; that's all the shoe repair guy would do, shrugging, and then charge you $20. Or buy a stretchy metal link watchband and take it to a jeweler and have him remove enough links to make it fit.

Cutting it yourself with scissors is cheaper. Here's how.
http://www.ehow.com/how_6058520_make-watch-strap-smaller.html

That's terrible advice unless I want my watch to look like poo poo. I highly doubt a cobbler is going to just chop up a watch band while shrugging considering they work with leather all day. People don't just take shoes to shoe repair- they also take purses and other leather goods there.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Melicious posted:

http://www.thewatchprince.com/watch-band/Short-Length-Watch-Straps

Buy a replacement shorter watch strap. It'll look nicer and doesn't cost too much.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Fig Newton posted:

Lots of advice

But why all the focus on antibiotics and staph? It's not infected or anything and I'd rather not use antibiotics when I don't need them.

It's not like I'm jamming in my entire distal phalange either and it blows my mind that people would.

Fig Newton posted:

By the same token, when you're blowing your nose in allergy season (also a personal issue here), don't root around higher up in your nostrils, attempting to get all the last bits of snot out

Wut. Do people seriously "root around" after blowing their noses?

Flashing Twelve posted:

What service would you recommend for this?

I've never used anything personally, sorry; I just know that friends have shipped their things to/from Australia/Japan/America/Canada when moving internationally.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

INTJ Mastermind posted:

http://www.thewatchprince.com/watch-band/Short-Length-Watch-Straps

Buy a replacement shorter watch strap. It'll look nicer and doesn't cost too much.

Depends. The 2 long leather pieces on my watch are connected with a 3rd piece behind the watch. You can't really replace that band and it look as good. If he has the 2 seperate piece style band, replacing it is the easiest option.
If he has to or wants to cut the excess off it's not a big deal if it isn't bordered with a thread. He should make a visible mark of where he wants to cut and cut it with a straight edge and not scissors. If it has a thread border, good luck. Don't know how to make that look visually good. I don't know if the thread will start to unravel or not. He could cut it pretty square with rounded corners and run a small thread with a sewing machine over it maybe?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
cosmicjim, is it a deployment-style strap? If so, those are relatively easy to resize. Honestly, depending on the type of watch it is (a 10-dollar wal-mart watch, a fashion watch, a mid-range watch, high-end, etc.), there are different ways to deal with the strap. You might as well take it to a jewelry shop and see what they have to say about it.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
There's stitching and rivets involved, not to mention the fact that the band is distinctive and part of the reason I like the watch... so yeah, not gonna buy another band, and not gonna gently caress with it myself. Guess I'll bring it to the jeweler.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Melicious posted:

There's stitching and rivets involved, not to mention the fact that the band is distinctive and part of the reason I like the watch... so yeah, not gonna buy another band, and not gonna gently caress with it myself. Guess I'll bring it to the jeweler.

What brand/model is it? Out of curiosity. It might help since we can find a picture of it on the net.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005

cosmicjim posted:

What brand/model is it? Out of curiosity. It might help since we can find a picture of it on the net.

It's a La Mer watch, a double wrap, but in a custom color/face. I had hoped that since my wrists were so small, I'd be able to just wrap it a third time, but it's 1/4" too short for a third go-around. :(

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

tarepanda posted:

Wut. Do people seriously "root around" after blowing their noses?

Don't you?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

stubblyhead posted:

Don't you?

No more than I stick my fingers up my rear end in a top hat to pull out any last bits of poop after I wipe. I just want to clear my nose, not scrub it within an inch of its life.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
Kind of an odd one, but this one's for any science-fiction fans:

One of the main differences between Star Wars and Star Trek is that Star Trek actually tries to use legitimate science sometimes. Star Wars just doesn't give a gently caress, and is more of a fantasy. But Star Trek does, quite often, willingly make science blunders for the sake of the story or aesthetic. For example: all the different ships and stations. There's no reason for them to take the form they do, there's nothing really practical about the shape of the Enterprise, or DS9, or a bird of prey or whatever, they just look the way they do because the designers thought they'd look cool. Function follows forms as they later may toss in an explanation or two why one thing is however it is, but if you were an actual engineer who was handed a warp engine, you would never design any of those ships.

So my question is, can anyone point me towards any science fiction shows, movies games or books where the science always comes before the fiction? Preferably something that is also entertaining. Stuff like Gattaca, Contact and Sunshine have their merits, but they're also near-future scenarios, I'm hoping for something that's way further out. For instance, have any authors really taken great care in crafting an alien world? 99% of the time you just get humanoid aliens, and if their flora and fauna are described at all, it's usually just a variation on Earth life. They get so caught up in describing alien cultures, they barely touch on their biology, and if they do then they exhibit no understanding of the evolution that would be required to create the lifeforms they describe. So, maybe I'm asking too much, but I'd like to hear some titles if anyone can think of any.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Alien, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Moon, Blade Runner, maybe Solaris. Avatar in particular stands out because James Cameron put a lot of thought into the world/fauna.

No space and more speculative, but maybe you'd consider Children of Men, Andromeda Strain, and 28 Days Later "hard."

You'll be hard-pressed to find hard science fiction movies because the visual aesthetic is usually primary in, well, visual media. Even the Battlestar Galactica remake, which really did a great job in going for actual science and mechanics, gave in on a few points just to make the spectacle stand out.

As far as books, pretty much anything by Clarke, Heinlein, Dick, Asimov, Baxter, Benford... Egan. It's a lot easier to go "hard" science in a book.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

tarepanda posted:

Alien, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Moon, Blade Runner, maybe Solaris. Avatar in particular stands out because James Cameron put a lot of thought into the world/fauna.

As far as books, pretty much anything by Clarke, Heinlein, Dick, Asimov, Baxter, Benford... Egan. It's a lot easier to go "hard" science in a book.

I've been thinking about this while in the shower- it's a good question.

You've named all the ones that I could think of - I can only add the first Matrix as a possible choice as it does have a consistenty to the 'science'

As for books: again, I agree with your list, and I would add William Gibson and Ian M. Banks to it.

spog fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Apr 12, 2011

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

tarepanda posted:

James Cameron put a lot of thought into the world/fauna.

Except the Na'vi themselves stick out like a sore thumb from the rest of the animal life because they have literally nothing in common :argh:

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

spog posted:

As for books: again, I agree with your list, and I would add William Gibson and Stephen M. Banks to it.

Gibson, definitely, though he can sometimes go into science fantasy territory.

What would you recommend by Stephen M. Banks? I've either never heard of him or his name has completely slipped my memory.

Mak0rz posted:

Except the Na'vi themselves stick out like a sore thumb from the rest of the animal life because they have literally nothing in common :argh:

Visual concerns, again. It wouldn't have been as cool or practical to have avatars modeled after actors if they hadn't been vaguely humanoid.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

tarepanda posted:

Visual concerns, again. It wouldn't have been as cool or practical to have avatars modeled after actors if they hadn't been vaguely humanoid.

Though they both give in to the standard of the humanoid alien, Avatar is pretty much the polar opposite of District 9. Avatar does everything it can to make the Na'vi cool and actractive, while District 9 makes the aliens as offensive as possible to challenge the audiences more to care about them.

As for the authors, I know of most of them and have read a few of their books between them, but they've each authored dozens. Any particular stand outs for well thought out speculations?

At the moment, I'm reading Nightfall by Asimov and Silverberg. The plot centers around a planet that is in constant daylight thanks to being surrounded by 6 stars. Every 2000 years they undergo a massive (total?) solar eclipse thanks to a satellite they can't normally see aligning with a day when one hemisphere faces only one star. For the life of me, I can make no sense of what this system looks like. Given that 99% of the book deals with the ramifications of this event on the people, I wish the 1% of explanation had been a little clearer.

Elijya fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Apr 12, 2011

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

tarepanda posted:

Gibson, definitely, though he can sometimes go into science fantasy territory.

What would you recommend by Stephen M. Banks? I've either never heard of him or his name has completely slipped my memory.

Gibson's modern day stuff isn't much cop - Pattern Recognition was pretty awful

Ian M Banks (sorry for the brainfart)

I'd say all of his science fiction stuff is worth reading and I would do it in date order

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iain_Banks

Just skip Feersum Endjin (he writes phonetically, for style, and it makes it hard to read)

As for TV series: how about the first couple of series of The X-Files?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

tarepanda posted:

No more than I stick my fingers up my rear end in a top hat to pull out any last bits of poop after I wipe.

You mean... you don't do that either?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Elijya posted:

So my question is, can anyone point me towards any science fiction shows, movies games or books where the science always comes before the fiction? Preferably something that is also entertaining. Stuff like Gattaca, Contact and Sunshine have their merits, but they're also near-future scenarios, I'm hoping for something that's way further out

You can only have science come before the fiction if you keep it near future. If you set yourself for thousands of years out, you have no idea what science will be capable of (In 1931 the New York Times commissioned a bunch of experts to predict what 2011 would be like, as part of their 80th year of publishing. The more conservative guessers stated we might live to 70 years commonly, but didn't predict elimination of small pox. More far fetched predictors stated everyone would rely on vaccuum tubes and that the world would be a singular one world government neither true. Noone predicted anything close to the internet or the eradication of smallpox or men in space. And this is just looking 80 years ahead.) So when you look for stuff that tries to keep mind of science, it's always relatively near future.

thefoozl
Nov 9, 2010
I wasn't sure exactly which sub-forum to put this in (perhaps SAP would have been better?), but I'm looking for a website with quizzes or collections of questions/exercises to do with grammar. Google tells me there are more than a few of them out there, and some will certainly be better than others.

I want to cover things like nouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs, pronouns, prepositions, conjunctions, determiners, punctuation and parsing. I already have a book to teach the stuff, but need practice.

Does anyone favour any particular website?

Note: I'm from NZ, which leans more towards English English, if that makes much of a difference in anything but spelling.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Seeing as I'm moving soon from Oregon to Oklahoma, the obvious question I need to ask is what the ladies down there generally think of the sexy PacNW accent. :pervert:

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Read William Gibson's Neuromancer and you'll realize the Matrix was not original at all.

I think the search for accurate science movies deeper into the future than something like Gattica is pretty futile, because...
#1, the future changes more slowly than we think it will. I have not seen a movie about the near future that was not overly futuristic when the setting date arrives in real life.
#2, We tend to make fiction a reality. It fuels our ideas. What might seemed far fetched at the time suddenly becomes a goal for some people that very commonly is actually achieved eventually.

Also, I don't think complaints about the shape of spaceships are valid concerns. We design what we are comfortable with. Our flying machines have been mostly based on birds. So it's not a stretch to me that future space vessels could have similarities. Especially by at least a few alien races. The layout of the Enterprise might be fictionally designed with safety in mind. The engines are held out from the ship and the bridge also detaches. The borg was a cube to reflect the precise no frills calculations of intelligent machinery.

Wanting something scientifically accurate plus something so far ahead in the future we can't conceive seems illogical.

Feel free to correct any incorrect Star Trek statements. These are assumptions based on watching a few episodes of ST:tng and playing a few Star Trek games.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

cosmicjim posted:

#1, the future changes more slowly than we think it will. I have not seen a movie about the near future that was not overly futuristic when the setting date arrives in real life.

It also changes faster than we think. The year 2001 in 2001 had moon colonies, but it also still had Pan-Am and the Soviets and lacks the internet, cell phones, cable/satellite TV, tons of things in 2001 in real life.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

cosmicjim posted:

Read William Gibson's Neuromancer and you'll realize the Matrix was not original at all.

I think the search for accurate science movies deeper into the future than something like Gattica is pretty futile, because...

Technology doesn't necessarily advance more slowly than we think, just in different ways. I just finished a book from I think the 80s that predicted cell phones (which were around then in limited form) becoming common but not the demise of the tape deck. And I read a book before that that predicted highly advanced computers that still had to be fed with punch cards. People tend to focus on the big things (flying cars and whatnot) but not so much the smaller, more day-to-day advances in technology that have more of an effect. I mean, who predicted even 20 years ago that mobile phones would be as multipurpose and advanced as they are now?

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Just because we make some details archaic in these futuristic movies such as punch cards doesn't mean that as a whole they aren't overly futuristic.
But yes I understand what you are saying. It still ties together with how futile the desire for scientifically accurate FUTURISTIC scifi is.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Or how we strive for futuristic-icity in just incrementally upgrading technologies -- replacing computers with smaller computers or punch cards with aluminum punch cards or cars with flying cars.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Florida Betty posted:

I mean, who predicted even 20 years ago that mobile phones would be as multipurpose and advanced as they are now?

Plenty of people, I think. ST: TNG had a hand held device that could scan any object or organism and feed back what must have been mountains of information instantaneously. What Star Trek got wrong was divvying up different tasks to different devices, but this was one of those aesthetic choices so that actors had a variety of props. What we've done is made devices which basically can, or soon will, do just about everything. But there's precedence for this too. Futurama's only 12 years old, but just take a look at Leela's wrist-mounted "do anything" device. That's not too much more than your standard smart-phone these days, making it probably pretty archaic for 1,000 years into the future (didn't one of the recent Futurama episodes actually deal with cell phones?) What didn't make sense was why everyone didn't have one. Or why the whole device hadn't been shrunk down to a few microns and inserted directly into everyone's cerebral cortex.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I'd hardly look at Futurama as sci-fi since it's more of a satire with the future as a mask to keep us from wincing too much.

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.
Why is there an entire week of featured wikipedia articles (april 5th-april 12th) that start with the letter P? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Today%27s_featured_article/April_2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whack
Feb 14, 2008
Does anyone know of a site where I can make customizable non-digital cards? In this case for a wedding. My friend is getting hitched and I want to make him a card that has a really idiotic picture to show how disappointed I am in his decision.

Preferably one that will format the image for you as I know nothing about that stuff.