Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Ziir posted:

What's a good way to convert wikipedia articles to Kindle format for offline reading?

Probably Calibre. It has a bunch of features that convert web pages to ebook formats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Javid posted:

For PDFs you could use something like Briss to crop off the page numbers and headers/footers - this makes PDFs more readable even if you don't convert them, too.

That sorta works... While the pdf will be cropped, and won't show if you open the pdf directly, that content is still there if you attempt to convert it using Calibre. You'll still get the footers showing up in your converted files.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

fatpat268 posted:

That sorta works... While the pdf will be cropped, and won't show if you open the pdf directly, that content is still there if you attempt to convert it using Calibre. You'll still get the footers showing up in your converted files.

There are ways around that, though it is a pain in the rear end. You can either print the document as pdf using a print driver (I think one comes with Acrobat, or at least the Pro version, but I think there are also free ones available...?) or save it as another file type and reconvert to pdf. Like I said, its unwieldy. I have to use Acrobat Professional as part of my work, so I don't get to mess around with too many other pdf applications.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009

Ziir posted:

What's a good way to convert wikipedia articles to Kindle format for offline reading?

instapaper.com

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

fatpat268 posted:

Yah I tried Bris last night. For the two books I used as a test, it helps but wasn't quite enough. Since they're books on coding and have figures and code blocks, I'm leary of converting to epub. But I fear that's going to be the next logical step. I wonder if there's a good converter that will embed the images still, and maybe use a pre or code tag if it could figure it out.

Problem is, I don't want to spend an hour working on each book, I want something that just 'works' So I'm not sure what I'll end up with.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
It's not in the OP...but was mentioned not too long ago. What's the website that is designed to make web browsing easier on the eink devices?

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

torgeaux posted:

It's not in the OP...but was mentioned not too long ago. What's the website that is designed to make web browsing easier on the eink devices?

https://www.readingthenet.com ?

oldy
Feb 23, 2006

well let me tell you this, I am shamelessly self-involved

torgeaux posted:

http://www.kinstant.com?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Ziir posted:

Easiest way would be something like cutepdf, since the kindle can read PDFs. Use Calibre from there to convert the PDFs to .mobi if you really want to.

Wooty
Dec 21, 2002
Instapaper will take your saved pages and allow you to download epub or mobi files.

It works well.

There is a program called wordcycler that syncs your instapaper to your reader.

http://www.wordcycler.com/

Also, if you create a folder in instapaper, you can save an entire set of web pages and output them all into one ereader format. I did this for some javascript tutorial sites on the web.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Javid posted:

Easiest way would be something like cutepdf, since the kindle can read PDFs. Use Calibre from there to convert the PDFs to .mobi if you really want to.

You can download wikipedia articles as a pdf, or combine multiple articles together to make a "book," so if that's what cutepdf is for then it's not needed but…

teraflame posted:

instapaper.com

drat, this is awesome. It works ok for wikipedia, but not perfect since a lot of the articles I want to save to my Kindle to read are scientific/mathematic so the formulas get hosed up. I've also encountered at least one website that doesn't work (only the pictures/formulas show up, with none of the text). Nonetheless, it'll do. Is there some kind of plugin for calibre to automatically grab new pages from my account and put them onto my library?

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Ziir posted:

Is there some kind of plugin for calibre to automatically grab new pages from my account and put them onto my library?

I didn't realize this until Googling it just now, but Instapaper is a news source for Calibre. So you can just set it to auto-download unread articles like any other news feed. And auto-mail them if you've got a Kindle, I don't know if the others do that.

edit: Go to "Fetch News" and search for Instapaper in Calibre.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

If you do the above, let me know if it works. Calibre hasn't successfully delivered an Instapaper to my Kindle since after the first week of trying, and I'm not sure if the recipe is busted, my Calibre install, or if Instapaper changed their delivery method.

e: checking out Wordcycler.

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed
Not sure why you're using Calibre, I have Instapaper email the articles straight to my Kindle's free address:

http://www.instapaper.com/user/kindle

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Oben posted:

Not sure why you're using Calibre, I have Instapaper email the articles straight to my Kindle's free address:

http://www.instapaper.com/user/kindle

Oh that's easier thanks, I never used it before so I just checked out Calibre since that's what he asked about.

doctorfrog posted:

If you do the above, let me know if it works. Calibre hasn't successfully delivered an Instapaper to my Kindle since after the first week of trying, and I'm not sure if the recipe is busted, my Calibre install, or if Instapaper changed their delivery method.

e: checking out Wordcycler.
The Calibre recipe worked fine for me just now, it's something on your end.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Centipeed posted:

Your post, and the Consider Phlebas deal being American only, has made me realise that I may not be the best person to start a thread for Kindle / Nook deals, since I'm in the UK and might not be able to verify a lot of them.

There's going to be a point in the future where people find out that in 2010 online stores were limited to different countries, and they'll think it's the stupidest thing they've ever heard, but unfortunately that time is not now.

Here's a good solution/resource (can set region, e.g. UK or USA):

http://www.ereaderiq.com/

Via http://lifehacker.com/#!5790152/ereaderiq-is-a-complete-database-of-free-and-discounted-ebooks-on-amazon.

Lifehacker posted:

If you want to see a complete listing of Amazon's free Kindle books, eReaderIQ will do that for you and more.

Amazon offers a lot of Kindle books for free on their site, even excluding the public domain ones. eReaderIQ is an easy-to-browse database of all of Amazon's free offerings at any given time, and it's update hourly—meaning you have a large, accurate list to browse for completely free reading material. You don't need to sign up or anything, you can just head over and start browsing. Clicking on a book will take you to its Amazon page, from which you can send it right to your Kindle (or other device running Kindle software).

eReaderIQ also has a neat alerts feature, where you can track other books on Amazon and get alerted to when their price drops. You can import your Amazon.com wish list, or just paste in its URL on the price tracker. Then, just give it your email and the price drop you'd like to be notified for (e.g. entering $1 would alert you when the book's price drops by $1). It's pretty handy when a book is a bit more expensive than you'd like, or when it's actually more expensive than the physical copy.

Don't know if there's something similar for Nook et al.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

The Aphasian posted:

http://www.ereaderiq.com/

Via http://lifehacker.com/#!5790152/ereaderiq-is-a-complete-database-of-free-and-discounted-ebooks-on-amazon.

Don't know if there's something similar for Nook et al.

I got this through on my RSS feeds, but when I tried to set the region to UK and do a search, it didn't work.

Still a great site, though.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I don't understand the Kindle email thing. There's a free address, where you can email stuff. But then there's the one that can charge you, which I have set to £0.00. What's the difference in these addresses and what does the "paid" one do that the free one doesn't?

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I don't understand the Kindle email thing. There's a free address, where you can email stuff. But then there's the one that can charge you, which I have set to £0.00. What's the difference in these addresses and what does the "paid" one do that the free one doesn't?

Free is delivered over wifi not 3g so if you don't have wifi you need to use the paid one. Might be some other things but that's definitely one of them.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

WattsvilleBlues posted:

The paid one delivers over 3G AND permanently stores your converted or personal documents at Amazon so they can be retrieved just like books you deleted from the device.

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005
Yes! Just got back from the states with my brand new Nook Colo(u)r. So far reading on it isn't anything compared to my Sony 650 which is lighter and all around much nicer to read on, but I didn't buy it for that anyway.

So, can anyone point me to the Nook rooting thread?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Jimlad posted:

Yes! Just got back from the states with my brand new Nook Colo(u)r. So far reading on it isn't anything compared to my Sony 650 which is lighter and all around much nicer to read on, but I didn't buy it for that anyway.

So, can anyone point me to the Nook rooting thread?

The link in the op should still be up to date. The most specific nook rooting thread is the Android root thread.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

fishmech posted:

The paid one delivers over 3G AND permanently stores your converted or personal documents at Amazon so they can be retrieved just like books you deleted from the device.

Oh I see. What effect does setting the max cost to £0.00 do? Does that mean I can't send anything over 3G?

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Oh I see. What effect does setting the max cost to £0.00 do? Does that mean I can't send anything over 3G?

I believe it restricts you to getting free email only so yeah wifi only receiving of your Kindle email. This doesn't have anything to do with 3g web surfing however.

KuruMonkey
Jul 23, 2004

The Aphasian posted:

As Centipeed noted: saying you can change region and actually not getting amazon.com results all the time are two very different things, unfortunately.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I just received a Kindle 3 (wifi) as a gift from my workplace and never really thought about a Kindle as a device I'd really want.

Now, however, I'm starting to see the potential behind being able to download a book anywhere I have a connection. I also hope that it pushes me back into reading more and having more literary experiences.

Can anyone recommend some areas for free reading material? I haven't even activated/associated the Kindle with my Amazon account yet, so I guess it's possible they have a huge section just for that already.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Gazaville Slugger posted:

I just received a Kindle 3 (wifi) as a gift from my workplace and never really thought about a Kindle as a device I'd really want.

Now, however, I'm starting to see the potential behind being able to download a book anywhere I have a connection. I also hope that it pushes me back into reading more and having more literary experiences.

Can anyone recommend some areas for free reading material? I haven't even activated/associated the Kindle with my Amazon account yet, so I guess it's possible they have a huge section just for that already.

What country are you located in? This will affect what deals you qualify for, as well as what copyright laws exist and allow what works to be in the public domain (free).

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Philippe is such an angry eater

The number 1 place to start for free ebooks is Project Gutenberg, a long-running project to create ebooks out of public domain books. As a plus for you, they have all (or at least most?) of their books available in the Kindle format, since Amazon won't recognize the epub format for whatever reason.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I'm in the U.S. A question: is there a difference between purchasing Kindle eBooks and a regular book? Is every book that's available on the online store capable of being delivered to a Kindle device? Is an ebook just the electronic format of any book you could find on the Amazon site?

I want to read a Zizek book that I've had my eye on for some time, but the whole ebook thing has me a bit confused now.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Not every book on amazon.com is available as an ebook. Look in the Kindle Store section to find the ones that are; anything there will get automatically delivered to your device after you buy it.

Keep in mind that any old books for sale there are probably available for free from Project Gutenberg. The non-free ones in the kindle store are from people who have (theoretically) added some formatting and maybe a table of contents and uploaded it there to sell. Stuff from Project Gutenberg is usually perfectly readable in its free form though.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I guess that's where I'm confused - because I noticed that under the "book" section for the main store (not kindle store) you can apparently have the Zizek book I'm referring to (First as Tragedy, Then as Farce) delivered to your Kindle, but the same book isn't coming up in the Kindle store itself.

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Apr 11, 2011

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Best way to get free stuff on your Kindle is with a "guide" (basically an index you store on your Kindle). Just access one (or both) of these URLs from your Kindle's web browser:

Project Gutenberg: http://www.freekindlebooks.org/MagicCatalog/MagicCatalog.mobi
Mobileread: http://www.mobileread.com/mobiguide

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

that's where I'm confused - because I noticed that under the "book" section for the main store (not kindle store) you can apparently have the Zizek book I'm referring to (First as Tragedy, Then as Farce) delivered to your Kindle, but the same book isn't coming up in the Kindle store itself.
On my Kindle I found that book searching by title but the author was listed as "Slavoj iek", so seems like a typo in their database.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Rastor posted:

Best way to get free stuff on your Kindle is with a "guide" (basically an index you store on your Kindle). Just access one (or both) of these URLs from your Kindle's web browser:

Project Gutenberg: http://www.freekindlebooks.org/MagicCatalog/MagicCatalog.mobi

Thanks! Sounds excellent. I'll try and find the book later tonight when I have a chance to hook it up to my wifi network at home.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The new Kindle is loving stupid.

Kindle with Wi-Fi includes Special Offers - $114.00

quote:

New, Lower Price
When you buy Kindle with Special Offers, you are getting the same bestselling Kindle for $25 less—only $114. Special offers and sponsored screensavers display on the Kindle screensaver and on the bottom of the home screen—they don't interrupt reading.

Special Offers
You'll receive special offers directly on your Kindle. Examples include:
- $10 for $20 Amazon.com Gift Card
- $6 for 6 Audible Books (normally $68)
- $1 for an album in the Amazon MP3 Store (choose from over 1 million albums)
- $10 for $30 of products in the Amazon Denim Shop or Amazon Swim Shop

Sponsored Screensavers
Our goal is to display sponsored screensavers that you want to see. That's why we've created a free Kindle app and website (coming soon) called AdMash. Anyone who's interested can download AdMash and help pick future screensavers. Two prospective screensavers show up side-by-side, and you pick the one you find most attractive. The ones preferred most by customers qualify to become sponsored screensavers.

You can also set your personal Kindle Screensaver Preferences to give us hints on the style and types of sponsored screensavers you'd like to see on your Kindle. For example, you can indicate that you'd like to see more or fewer screensavers that include elements such as landscapes and scenery, architecture, travel images, photography, and illustrations. Together, AdMash voting and Kindle Screensaver Preferences help us select the most attractive and engaging sponsored screensavers to display on your Kindle.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004HFS6Z0/ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B004HFS6Z0

Maybe it is just me but I don't think getting $25 off is worth having ads all over the place.

Blaisedell
May 7, 2008

I think it's an interesting idea but yeah, $25 isn't going to cut it. If it was free and ad supported then I think it might be a different story. It's like when people were speculating that Google were going to make the Nexus One free, that kind of radical idea could really have the potential to change the market.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Rastor posted:

The pg MagicCatalog is just a weirdly-ordered list of all their books, and from my experience it's something you search, rather than browse. Also, I think all the links (at least the ones I've used) do not connect to books with illustrations (which kinda takes the fun out of the Oz books and Lewis Carroll).

If you have the WiFi connection anyway, I suggest trying Gutenberg's mobile site http://m.gutenberg.org instead. It's going to be a bit slower to move the damned cursor around and load, but it's much better organized, and has links to illustrated works.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The ads will only appear on the home screen and the screensaver. It doesn't affect reading at all so, hey, I can buy like 3-4 more books with those savings.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

Sporadic posted:

The new Kindle is loving stupid.

Kindle with Wi-Fi includes Special Offers - $114.00

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004HFS6Z0/ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B004HFS6Z0

Maybe it is just me but I don't think getting $25 off is worth having ads all over the place.

and now the reason they've been blocking user created screensavers becomes clear

gently caress them, I'm glad I jailbroke it before the upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Sporadic posted:

I bet it is to some people.