Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

PoptartsNinja posted:

They also have a love for the Viper, whose sole characteristic is: "Like the Nova, but faster. And worse."

Ha ha. Oh, the poor much-maligned Dragonfly. It eats IS light/medium companies for breakfast. Well, A and D do, the rest are great scouts or, um, things for those other things.

I love it to pieces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

The Merry Marauder posted:

Ha ha. Oh, the poor much-maligned Dragonfly. It eats IS light/medium companies for breakfast. Well, A and D do, the rest are great scouts or, um, things for those other things.

I love it to pieces.

It has its uses. The Bears just overuse it. Unlike most Clan 'Mechs, it's really not all that good at killing things heavier than it is.

VVVV Bleh, that's what I get for writing things right after I wake up.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Apr 11, 2011

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Sorry to nitpick, PoptartsNinja, but you consistently keep spelling 'artillery' as 'artillary'. So far the word seems to have only shown up in various comments, but I wanted to mention it before it creeps into the actual story. Man, I feel stupid reminding you of this. I really have the best intentions! No hard feelings?

EDIT: AAAAAAAAAAAHH
\/\/\/\/\/

Gniwu fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 11, 2011

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
/\/\ I note that, as required by Internet tradition when correcting spelling errors, you spelled his name wrong.

PoptartsNinja posted:

It has its uses. The Bears just overuse it. Unlike most Clan 'Mechs, it's really not all that good at killing things heavier than it is.

Pfui. It's not any good at the "plow ahead and loving maul all that stands before you" style of Clan combat, but it's nearly unsurpassed in the school of "being impossible to actually hit if there's any terrain and killing you at its leisure".

That said, if it's a straight-up choice between a Dragonfly and a Mad Cat, welp, but no one has any drat idea how the Clan materiel economy works as far as I know.

The Merry Marauder fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Apr 11, 2011

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Pfui. It's not any good at the "plow ahead and loving maul all that stands before you" style of Clan combat, but it's nearly unsurpassed in the school of "being impossible to actually hit if there's any terrain and killing you at its leisure".

Which is why I said earlier that it's a great defensive 'Mech and perfect for being a nuisance; but in terms of actually assaulting things there's a reason the Ghost Bears performed worse than anyone else in the invasion.

It wasn't entirely poor leadership.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

That said, if it's a straight-up choice between a Dragonfly and a Mad Cat, welp, but no one has any drat idea how the Clan materiel economy works as far as I know.

I bid a spoon and this can of soup for that ton of pig iron! Let our descendants sing tales of this glorious eatoff!

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

MJ12 posted:

No, like all Clan designs, it has weight-free slot-free CASE.

... Okay, now you guys are just trying to confuse me. I thought the whole point of having CASE was to prevent ammo explosions from completely obliterating the mech. Yet people keep saying the Nagas have a tendency to be destroyed when all that Arrow IV ammo they have goes sky high. So... what, is the Arrow IV system a separate system without CASE that was slapped on to the Naga's frame or something?

Seriously, help a goon out here.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

W.T. Fits posted:

CASE doesn't prevent the ammo explosion from destroying all the criticals in a section. Now, that'll completely destroy the left or right torso and all slots contained within (and automatically blow off the attached arm). The Naga has an XL engine, which means it also takes two engine hits.

An Artillery hit to an engine spot is bad news; if it puts the pilot into a position where he has to eject, he dies instantly.

Arrow IVs are also Area Effect weapons (being Artillery), which probably should make a difference but really doesn't. So yes, less deadly than I've been implying, but still a pretty good way to get a pilot killed.

VVV The worst thing is, mechanically, 3 tons of exploding Arrow IV ammo still does only half the damage of 3 tons of exploding machine gun ammo.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Apr 11, 2011

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"
I think that's people fluffing the fact that no amount of CASE is going to protect you or your 'mech from that drat much ammo going off.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

PoptartsNinja posted:

CASE doesn't prevent the ammo explosion from destroying all the criticals in a section. Now, that'll completely destroy the left or right torso and all slots contained within (and automatically blow off the attached arm). The Naga has an XL engine, which means it also takes two engine hits.

An Artillery hit to an engine spot is bad news; if it puts the pilot into a position where he has to eject, he dies instantly.

So in other words, CASE helps out most of the time, but there's just some situations where if your ammo gets hit, you're hosed, CASE or no CASE. Got it.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

W.T. Fits posted:

So in other words, CASE helps out most of the time, but there's just some situations where if your ammo gets hit, you're hosed, CASE or no CASE. Got it.

Basically, you have to look at the exact circumstances on a CASE by CASE basis.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

AJ_Impy posted:

:frogout:

I'm not sure I understand what you mean about the ejection part; do you mean that if the pilot has to eject on a future turn, he's unable to?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

AJ_Impy posted:

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

TildeATH posted:

You're just saying that because your own avatar most resembles half a pair of mech cajones.

Oh, and that's not hair, that's just what laser heatsinks look like.

Don't you go slandering EDI! :argh:

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

AJ_Impy posted:

I burst out laughing and was forced to explain a Battletech pun to my girlfriend. Well done. :allears:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

AJ_Impy posted:

They'll understand when they tag a 'Mech carrying Arrow IV ammo. I've yet to see a 'Mechwarrior give an ammo explosion positive feedback. This whole situation is probably null. Signature weapon systems are almost always a joke, and the Naga is no exception to this case too.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 11, 2011

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Huh, what are signature weapons upposed to be?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The kind Zorro uses I guess? I don't know either.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Clearly the best signature weapon is a pen. :colbert:

Assuming you guys were being serious, signature weapons in the case of 'mechs would be a weapon that is heavily associated with the given mech and is sometimes completely irremovable (like the Arrow IVs on the Naga).

The only other truly signature weapon I can think of are the Heavy Gauss Rifles on the Fafnir.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
My memory of the Battletech books is a little hazy, wasn't there a book where the Ghost Bears fought the Wolves? I vaguely remember that being the first (only?) mention of how the Ghost Bears got their name.

I swear the name of the GB unit was something amusing like the Prowling or Stalking Bears.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Krumbsthumbs posted:

My memory of the Battletech books is a little hazy, wasn't there a book where the Ghost Bears fought the Wolves? I vaguely remember that being the first (only?) mention of how the Ghost Bears got their name.

I swear the name of the GB unit was something amusing like the Prowling or Stalking Bears.

Clan Ghost Bear is named after the ghost bear (a genetically-altered six-legged polar bear).

Edit:
Fun Ghost Bear Facts:
The ghost bear weighs approximately 2-3 tons.
Several times per year, 20-30 members of Clan Ghost Bear gather to hunt ghost bears in a ritual called the 'Clawing'. They are allowed only arctic clothing and a spear, and work in teams of two. Only 1 team in 10 is successful, 3 in 10 never return; and the rest don't encounter any ghost bears. The Clawing is extremely important to the Ghost Bears, and it's nearly impossible for anyone who hasn't gone through the Clawing to earn a Bloodname. This ritual is also why the Ghost Bears have so many [spoilers]<Redacted>[/spoilers].

The book you're thinking of is probably Roar of Honor. Ghost Bears vs. Hell's Horses.

And by 'signature weapons', well... sometimes it's not always a weapon. Sometimes it's a system. Would you like me to go back and bold all of my stealthy wordplay to make it easier to read between the lines? I'm dropping hints for our next mission; but I'm worried I'm being too chameleonic.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Apr 11, 2011

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Hunchback. Big loving gun on the shoulder - that's pretty much the example of a signature weapon in my opinion. You can't have a hunchie without something big on that shoulder or stops being a Hunchback.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

PoptartsNinja posted:

And by 'signature weapons', well... sometimes it's not always a weapon. Sometimes it's a system. Would you like me to go back and bold all of my stealthy wordplay to make it easier to read between the lines? I'm dropping hints for our next mission; but I'm worried I'm being too chameleonic.

I'm fine with just waiting and seeing what it is as a surprise personally. But given your phrasing there, I'm starting to worry it's one of the stupid, stupid LosTech cloaking systems and it's going to be a covert ops headhunting mission.

If you do go that route, I'll be curious to see how you come up with a mission that doesn't lean so hard on the gimmick that it hurts the pacing (and the explosions!)

Zaodai fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Apr 11, 2011

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Zaodai posted:

I'm fine with just waiting and seeing what it is as a surprise personally. But given your phrasing there, I'm starting to worry it's one of the stupid, stupid LosTech cloaking systems and it's going to be a covert ops headhunting mission.

Headhunting Clanners is pretty pointless. There's only two per clan who actually matter. I can promise you right now that none of the Khans is going to die in Wave 2.

I'm saving the sneak-sneak for our first mission as the Capellan Confederation. Maaaaaaaaybe.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 11, 2011

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Are they going to be armed with HERF cannons that will just turn things off?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Headhunting Clanners is pretty pointless. There's only two per clan who actually matter.

Well it could be blowing up a comm relay, or a munitions dump, or a dropship. It could be sneaking in to rescue prisoners or steal a macguffin. My objection was less to the assassination part of my statement and more to the use of the cloaking systems.

Out of curiosity, does this mean we're not voting on where to go next, or that the next mission will be roughly the same regardless of who we decide to play as?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Zaodai posted:

Well it could be blowing up a comm relay, or a munitions dump, or a dropship. It could be sneaking in to rescue prisoners or steal a macguffin. My objection was less to the assassination part of my statement and more to the use of the cloaking systems.

Out of curiosity, does this mean we're not voting on where to go next, or that the next mission will be roughly the same regardless of who we decide to play as?

No, there'll still be a vote as usual. I've just seen a lot of interest in a particular direction; so when I see public interest in something that's the 'path' I will usually make allusions to.

That doesn't mean it's what we're going to wind up doing; just what I think people are interested in.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I figured so. But why assume when I could just ask.

The fact that you twice dodged questions about cloaking systems is a somewhat less comforting response. Oh well. Just have to have faith the mission itself will use them as flavor rather than a crutch. I think there's pretty good odds of that.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Zaodai posted:

I figured so. But why assume when I could just ask.

The fact that you twice dodged questions about cloaking systems is a somewhat less comforting response. Oh well. Just have to have faith the mission itself will use them as flavor rather than a crutch. I think there's pretty good odds of that.

PoptartsNinja posted:

This whole situation is probably null. Signature weapon systems are almost always a joke, and the Naga is no exception to this case too.

It's not a dodge, it's pure Cardassian evil.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

W.T. Fits posted:

... Okay, now you guys are just trying to confuse me. I thought the whole point of having CASE was to prevent ammo explosions from completely obliterating the mech. Yet people keep saying the Nagas have a tendency to be destroyed when all that Arrow IV ammo they have goes sky high. So... what, is the Arrow IV system a separate system without CASE that was slapped on to the Naga's frame or something?

Three tons of ammunition exploding causes 3 2-damage pilot hits, so if all three tons of Arrow IV blow, your brain is turned into mush and I bet the Clanners aren't exactly big on pro-life policies.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

He also used "stealth" and "chameleonic" in the post after that. One of my early posts mentioned his phrasing, so that wasn't lost on me.

But he did dodge the questions (rather well) when asked directly, which is good enough confirmation for me. =P

Usual Barb
Aug 27, 2005

pop it and lock it

DatonKallandor posted:

Hunchback. Big loving gun on the shoulder - that's pretty much the example of a signature weapon in my opinion. You can't have a hunchie without something big on that shoulder or stops being a Hunchback.

Oh yes you can (if you think of the laser battery as some kind of awesome laser shotgun):

Sarna.net posted:

HBK-4P - Also called the Swayback, the 4P Hunchback is modified to carry only energy weapons. The Autocannon/20 was replaced with six additional Medium Lasers. In order to handle the incredibly high heat load, the 'Mech has twenty three heat sinks. While this may seem like a downgrade to the design, the combined firepower of all eight Medium Lasers can do twice as much damage as the Autocannon they replaced. BV (1.0) = 960, BV (2.0) = 1,138[6]

The Swayback is pretty sweet too. you get some neat variants when you pull a swap like that, like the Longbow with a battery of light AC/5s in each arm.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I've never understood what is stealthy about a sixty foot ground-stomping fusion-powered vehicle that by all accounts runs at a 600C while idle. You could detect a mech on a magnetomoter, a seismograph, an IR sensor, or a loving Geiger counter never mind radar. Fast neutrons aren't exactly hard to detect.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Xmas Future posted:

Oh yes you can (if you think of the laser battery as some kind of awesome laser shotgun):

The Swayback is pretty sweet too. you get some neat variants when you pull a swap like that, like the Longbow with a battery of light AC/5s in each arm.

Yeah, but then it's not a Hunchback, it's just a pretty average medium. It'd be like a Hollander variant that had some lasers, an LRM and a SRM. Sure, it might even be better than the original, but it's not a Hollander.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Arglebargle III posted:

You could detect a mech on a magnetomoter, a seismograph, an IR sensor, or a loving Geiger counter never mind radar. Fast neutrons aren't exactly hard to detect.

Spaaace magic. Also, A) non-ferrous composite armor, B) Who puts Seismographs everywhere? Kai Allard-Liao, C) Heat Baffles, D) Line the engine with tinfoil proper radiation shielding?

Yeah, it's all space magic and makes no sense; but it keeps the game amusing. Of course, we have to see how things go with the current mission. It could change things. Dun-dun-duuuun.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Apr 12, 2011

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

PoptartsNinja posted:

Spaaace magic. Also, A) non-ferrous composite armor, B) Who puts Seismographs everywhere? Kai Allard-Liao, C) Heat Baffles, D) Line the engine with tinfoil proper radiation shielding?

Yeah, it's all space magic and makes no sense; but it keeps the game amusing. Of course, we have to see how things go with the current mission. It could change things. Dun-dun-duuuun.

So...basically your saying a space wizard did it? Was it Gandalf? White or Grey?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Xmas Future posted:

Swaybacks are pretty awesome. Doesn't feel a LOT like a hunchback, but if you think of it like the laser battery then it feels a little better.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Xmas Future posted:

If it was some kind of rotary laser array or continous fuckoff beam then yeah it's still a hunchy.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

PoptartsNinja posted:

The book you're thinking of is probably Roar of Honor. Ghost Bears vs. Hell's Horses.
No, it's Wolves alright. The whole thing is a feint to get the Wolves to be distracted so the Bears can kick the Horses out of the IS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Arquinsiel posted:

No, it's Wolves alright. The whole thing is a feint to get the Wolves to be distracted so the Bears can kick the Horses out of the IS.

Yeah, that's Roar of Honor.

• Locked thread