Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Oh come on, you know Red Dwarf's going to end up falling back on Dwayne Dibbly, Ace Rimmer, or the hilarious bits when someone tries to quote a law by number and Kryten revelas that the particular law they mentioned is to do with wearing an officer's trousers on your head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Space Corps Directives, not laws. :rolleyes:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Cerv posted:

That storyline was dropped by series 3. Give it up.

Fiji or bust.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

FreakyZoid posted:

Oh come on, you know Red Dwarf's going to end up falling back on Dwayne Dibbly, Ace Rimmer, or the hilarious bits when someone tries to quote a law by number and Kryten revelas that the particular law they mentioned is to do with wearing an officer's trousers on your head.

Man, that joke's deader than ponchos.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Will the set be 'ocean grey' or 'battleship grey'? This is important.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

FreakyZoid posted:

You forgot constant use of smeg or smegging too.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Red Dwarf was never really that great anyway, I loved it as a kid but re watched it recently and a lot of it was quite cringe inducing.

It should be put away, or failing that just reboot with a new cast and writing staff.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
"Because I'm organising the loving Olympic Games."

Twenty Twelve has been patchy as gently caress, but Hugh Bonneville nailed that.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

keep punching joe posted:

Red Dwarf was never really that great anyway, I loved it as a kid but re watched it recently and a lot of it was quite cringe inducing.

It should be put away, or failing that just reboot with a new cast and writing staff.

Pretty much this, a lot of it was pretty one-note. I think there was a period around series 3-4 that it was strong, then it just dived and dived. It's like the Simpsons sped up.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

See, I went through it recently and watched it from the beginning and loved every minute of seasons 1 to 6. The quality did dip a bit after season 4, but it took a massive nosedive after season 6.

But yeah, different tastes and all that. I thought I would hate it but I was constantly giggling.

That said, Norman Lovett was clearly the best Holly and when he went the show suffered for it.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

marktheando posted:

Well sure you could describe a lot of David Tennant episodes that way (by no means all of them though) but series five was a massive improvement. Matt Smith and Steven Moffat are a lot better than David Tenant and Russell T Davies.

The New Who is a dumbed down retarded version of the old series dealing mostly with asinine cliched human drama rather than blasting around the universe dicking about with Aliens.

edit: It fits in perfectly with the types of show that come on before Newsround.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Yup. For a nerdy teenager in the 90's, it was great, but I've caught a few episodes on Dave recently, and if it wasn't for the nostalgia factor, I would consider most of it pretty loving dire. The new episodes could be as good as the very best of the old series, and they would still be pretty embarrassing by today's standards.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

The best Red Dwarf episodes were always the cheapest to produce, Marooned springs instantly to mind. The entire episode was just a dialogue between Lister and Rimmer and it worked perfectly. All we need to do is make sure that they have zero funding and it might work out.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

I flipped on Sky Atlantic HD yesterday for the first time and was surprised to see re-runs of Voyager and the X-files, amongst other things, listed there.

I was led to believe that it was a premium channel chock full of the kind of content you'd expect from things like HBO ad so forth, not one that's straddling that free Virgin one channel that was on cable for a year or two.

Did i just tune into it on an off day (it may have been on Sunday, i don't really remember when) or is it basically what that channel is? Perhaps sprinkled with a few epiosodes of HBO shows in the evening. I did see Curb your enthusiasm.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
Here's a list of what they're showing. Some haven't started yet, so they have to fill the schedule with something, I guess. Also, they probably don't want to start all of these great shows at once, so they seem to have been staggering them.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Oh hey, Generation Kill and Mad Men. I keep telling my dad how awesome these things are.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Wasn't mad on Generation Kill myself, must give it another watch. Much preferred Treme, though a lot of people I know found it really boring. Just got through it for a second time at the weekend in preperation for the new series starting Sunday week in the states. Can't wait.

I badgered my parents to watch Mad Men for ages. They resisted because generally speaking, they wouldn't like the kind of TV I'm into and having heard me talk about it they tried an episode, but it was midway through a series and didn't get it. Once they watched it from the start, they became obsessed with it though. It's the only drama I can think of that would appeal to pretty much everyone.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Oh god I've missed Adam and Joe so much. I just watched that Jools Holland episode that Adam was talking about and it was pretty hilarious.

Especially how you can still hear them playing when he goes over to introduce Elbow. I like to think they kept playing through the entire of Elbow's set, but they just turned the mics off.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Mickolution posted:

Wasn't mad on Generation Kill myself, must give it another watch. Much preferred Treme, though a lot of people I know found it really boring. Just got through it for a second time at the weekend in preperation for the new series starting Sunday week in the states. Can't wait.

I quite enjoy Treme as it is kind of relaxing to watch and interesting as I know sweet bugger all about New Orleans in general.

Plus I love all kinds of music too which is a bonus.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Ddraig posted:

Oh god I've missed Adam and Joe so much. I just watched that Jools Holland episode that Adam was talking about and it was pretty hilarious.

Especially how you can still hear them playing when he goes over to introduce Elbow. I like to think they kept playing through the entire of Elbow's set, but they just turned the mics off.

Why be Denny Different? WHY?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Generation Kill was spoilt for me by the American posters here who thought it showed the US in a good light, and that Trombley was the hero.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

So how about that masterchef/great british menu/hairy bikers then? Am I the only one watching the new series of these?

So far all pretty good, the new masterchef format is settling better with me now, although the vegetarian woman seems to be on constant blub alert.

The new GBM is cool, although i was slightly disappointed in a weird way that jennie bond wasn't narrating any more. I'm starting to miss her terrible puns :(

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Generation Kill was spoilt for me by the American posters here who thought it showed the US in a good light, and that Trombley was the hero.

Not as bad as the ones that were defending Captain America.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah all the 'that was loving badass hoo rah' posts were pretty disturbing. I remember the scene where some Iraqi guy was about to get shot by a bunch of Marines and you could see the laser beams from their sights all over him in the night vision had several goons masturbating themselves into a frenzy.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Flatscan posted:

Not as bad as the ones that were defending Captain America.

Sweet jesus, seriously. Captain America was almost carrying a neon sign saying 'Worst Modern Soldier Ever' on his back.

I try not to let Goon opinion rule my tastes too much Rapey Joe Stalin, I live by the policy that the rule of neckbeards is not always the way to go.

I could have missed out on Bobs Burgers because of some goons.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

SeanBeansShako posted:

I quite enjoy Treme as it is kind of relaxing to watch and interesting as I know sweet bugger all about New Orleans in general.

Plus I love all kinds of music too which is a bonus.

It's a bit slow, but I loved it. I'd even go so fas as to say I think it's the best first series out of all of the HBO shows. Perhaps the first series of The Wire just pales in comparison to 3 & 4 in hindsight. I still liked it, but it doesn't get going properly until the third. With Treme, like The Wire, I enjoyed it far more second time around despite loving it on first watch. Even characters I disliked first time like Sonny and Davis I warmed to, maybe because I knew how their ark would finish up.

Yeah, I knew nothing about the city or Katrina really going into it. I'd recommend watching When the Levees Broke for further knowledge of the subject. It's a brilliant documentary if you have four hours to spare. I'm a bit sorry I didn't watch it before Treme, to be honest. Lee also made a sequel which I haven't watched yet, but plan to soon.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Generation Kill was good, but I think it got way more praise than it deserved. I think people were maybe a little bit too scared not to say it was the best thing ever because of who made it. Strange really, because Treme got a bashing in some reviews, although I think it's vastly superior.

I'm not a huge fan of war TV/films to be honest. There are some I love, but by and large, US ones at least can only go one of two ways. The first is "we shouldn't be here, this war is bad" like how I remember Generation Kill (though it's been almost three years since I saw it) or most Vietnam films. The second is "America is great, and will save the day" like most WW2 stuff such as Band of Brothers or The Pacific, neither of which I'm a huge fan of. Most people seem to love Band of Brothers, but for me it's really cheesy, but at least had a far better structure than The Pacific, which did look better, though.

Mickolution fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Apr 12, 2011

wickles
Oct 12, 2009

"In England we have a saying for a situation such as this, which is that it's difficult difficult lemon difficult."

Ddraig posted:

WHY BE DENNY DIFFERENT? WHY?!

So glad the there are new jingles (I wonder what will happen to that lizard http://youtu.be/TgRs3OlGssY)

Adam seems more demented than ever - laughing in public while listening to the podcast has resumed.

The Friday parody was also great
http://youtu.be/sD5f8pNh3dw

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
I'm actually really enjoying Police Academy UK right now.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

Gorn Myson posted:

See, I went through it recently and watched it from the beginning and loved every minute of seasons 1 to 6. The quality did dip a bit after season 4, but it took a massive nosedive after season 6.

But yeah, different tastes and all that. I thought I would hate it but I was constantly giggling.

That said, Norman Lovett was clearly the best Holly and when he went the show suffered for it.

I think the beginning of Season 8 was some of the funniest stuff (with the prison and things, "Krytie TV" was hilarious), but I've spoken with other fans and they completely disagree with me. So yeah, different people have different tastes!

Did anyone check out the finale of Waking the Dead? That was some great British TV!

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Metrication posted:

I'm actually really enjoying Police Academy UK right now.
It's a great show! I'm enjoying it too. It's an interesting twist on the police/street crime documentary format.

i have a crush on the officer from Samoa :blush:

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Mickolution posted:

It's a bit slow, but I loved it. I'd even go so fas as to say I think it's the best first series out of all of the HBO shows. Perhaps the first series of The Wire just pales in comparison to 3 & 4 in hindsight. I still liked it, but it doesn't get going properly until the third. With Treme, like The Wire, I enjoyed it far more second time around despite loving it on first watch. Even characters I disliked first time like Sonny and Davis I warmed to, maybe because I knew how their ark would finish up.
How do you warm to Sonny at all? He's a right poo poo throughout.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

What is this School of Comedy on C4 and why is it so unapologetically shite of the smelliest order?

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Cerv posted:

How do you warm to Sonny at all? He's a right poo poo throughout.

Maybe "warm to" was the wrong term to use. I don't dislike the character as much as I did first time around. He's a dickhead, but not as bad a character as I thought first time around.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Kin posted:

What is this School of Comedy on C4 and why is it so unapologetically shite of the smelliest order?

Probably one of the worst 'comedy' series I've seen on UK TV.

spe
Aug 28, 2007

All Stocked Up
Is 30 quid pcm the cheapest Sky Sports has to offer? I like sports but thats a lot for sports on telly.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Lurchibles posted:

I think the beginning of Season 8 was some of the funniest stuff (with the prison and things, "Krytie TV" was hilarious), but I've spoken with other fans and they completely disagree with me. So yeah, different people have different tastes!

Did anyone check out the finale of Waking the Dead? That was some great British TV!

Waking the dead was excellent

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

Ddraig posted:

I guess you're on about the jazz band? I was laughing at that on the tuesday show, and then again on the friday version, which I watched to see if they edited that bit differently. The strings people in Elbow were still laughing, it was great.

StrawmanUK
Aug 16, 2008

eating only apples posted:

Watched it religiously last series. I absolutely loved the crazy drama with Hillary. And batshit Mary with the donkey laugh! Rob and Timmy were deserving winners, bless 'em.

Ugh no, they were slimey fucks as evidenced in their reaction to the scouse couple who outed the voting conspiracy and to the irish lads straight afterwards. Pissed me off that they got to the final alongside Hilary. Do love a bit of coach trip :)

StrawmanUK
Aug 16, 2008

Kin posted:

New series? I remember watching the start of the first series in confused horror but I thought it was quite funny towards the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

finna udders
Jan 28, 2005

mu
Hopefully not.

Your thoughts and opinions are your own, of course, but they're wrong. School of Comedy is actually more irritating and less amusing than Balls of Steel.

Let that sink in.

Yes. It's the most annoying and least funny thing on television. Quite an achievement!

But seriously though, don't watch it. Not unless they have a special where Ian Huntley and Myra Hindley go berserk on the cast with machetes.