Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

regulargonzalez, I hear Lawrence of Arabia is a great film.

Kull the Conqueror posted:

I think any movie with a Ken Russell level of bonkers poo poo in it is always worth watching, regardless of "true" quality.
I'm starting to think I agree with this. Ken Russell's brand of crazy is perfect for cinema. Altered States certainly lived up to my expectations of insanity, but I didn't expect it to be a romance film. I'll certainly agree with very good but not great, though I'm not sure what I would change. Anyway, the visuals were fantastic, as expected, and the narrative flows reasonably well for what it is. There's really not much I can say, it's an experience and anything I try to describe won't really o it justice.

Updated list:

La grande guerra I get the feeling this is one of those overlooked classics.

The Ascent Not seen anything by Shepitko but this is highly praised and nearly every post 1930s Soviet film I've seen has been a hit with me.

Les dimanches de Ville d'Avray Criticker says I'll love this, it's French and it won the best Foreign Film Oscar.

Les misérables (1934) Four and a half hours, really?I've never read the book so I have little idea what to expect.

India Song I've read mixed things about this, but I'm intrigued by the idea. Not enough to watch it on my own however, which is where this thread comes in.

Dance, Girl, Dance I have no idea about this, but it's certainly something I should see. Dorothy Arzner was a pioneer and I know nothing about her.

Klute Neo-noir with Jane Fonda as a prostitute.

American Gigolo I have some doubts as to whether I'll like this, but I just found out it's apparently influenced by Bresson's Pickpocket which I didn't expect.

Plein soleil Clément is another director from whom I've seen one magnificent film and never got around to watching any others.

Un homme et une femme Don't know much about this, a romance of some sort.

For the hell of it, here's what I've seen so far:
Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10 , Brink of Life 9/10 , Fear and Desire 4/10 , The Naked Spur 6/10 , Stroszek 8.5/10 , Beau Travail 8/10 , Kanal 9/10 Field of Dreams 6/10 , Mishima 7/10 , Novecento 7/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10 , Floating Weeds 8.5/10, Heaven's Gate 8.5/10 , Days and Nights in the Forest 9/10 The War of The Worlds 6.5/10 , Fallen Angels 9/10 , The Crucified Lovers 8.5/10 , Sanxia haoren 8.5/10 , Fantomas 8.5/10 , The Ballad of Cable Hogue 9.5/10 , <---> 6/10 , The Devil and Daniel Webster 8.5/10 , Basic Instinct 8/10, Babette's Feast 5/10 , Wuthering Heights 8/10 , The Saragossa Manuscript 9.5/10 , The Public Enemy 7.5/10 , This Sporting Life 8.5/10 , A Nightmare on Elm Street 7/10 , Sans toit ni loi 9.5/10 Tales of Hoffman 7.5/10 , The Ten Commandments 7/10 , Underworld 8.5/10 , Showgirls 7/10 , La meglio gioventù 8/10 , Vidas Secas 7/10 , The Sorrow and the Pity 9/10 , The Human Condition I 9.5/10 , Russian Ark 8.5/10 , Brighton Rock 8.5/10 , Grey Gardens 9.5/10 , The Marriage of Maria Braun 9/10 , Tampopo 7/10 , Django 8.5/10 , Ballad of Narayama 8.5/10 , Baby Face 8/10 , David Holzman's Diary 8/10 , The Seventh Victim 8/10 , The Blue Kite 9/10 , Soylent Green 8/10 , Flesh and the Devil 9.5/10 , Branded to Kill 6.5/10 , The Golem 7.5/10 , A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies 9.5/10 , Ryan's Daughter 7/10 , 8 Diagram Pole Fighter 8.5/10 , Fiddler on the Roof 7/10 , American Movie 9/10 , The Longest Day 6/10 , Mephisto 9/10 , Barbarella 6/10 , Fast, Cheap & Out of Control 8.5/10 , The Room 1/10 , D.O.A. 9/10 , Cross of Iron 9.5/10 , Manila in the Claws of Neon 9.5/10 , He Who Gets Slapped 9.5/10 , Les amants du Pont-Neuf 9.5/10 , Coal Miner's Daughter 7.5/10 , You, the Living 8.5/10 , Head-On 9.5/10 , A Brighter Summer Day 8.5/10 , The White Ribbon 9/10 , The Color Purple 6/10 , Husbands 8/10 , Cabiria 5/10 , Drunken Master 8/10 , The Hawks and the Sparrows 9/10 , Offret 8/10 , El Topo 6/10 , House of Wax 8/10 , Yeelen 8.5/10 , Yesterday Girl 7.5/10 , Cleopatra 7/10 , Die freudlose Gasse 9.5/10 , Cat on a Hot Tin Roof 9.5/10 , The Pawnbroker 9/10 , El Sol del membrillo 9/10 , Spione 9.5/10 , Subarnarekha 9/10 , Salt of the Earth 5/10 , Stage Door 8/10 , Altered States 8/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Klute Neo-noir with Jane Fonda as a prostitute.

I haven't seen it, but I really like Alan J. Pakula/Gordon Willis, so I'm sure it's good.

Cries and Whispers: I gotta say, I'm pretty blown away right now. The deep, unsettling despair that permeates its duration is not something that's easy to forget. These characters were so lost in their own flaws that it seemed that there was no hope. I've seen very few Bergman films at this point, but one thing I just can't get enough of is how he treats the concept of death like a lump of clay that he can just play around with. It's often so far from a finite gesture for his characters, in the sense that if someone dies they've merely transitioned to another stage of life that haunts whatever world they used to live in in different ways.

I think this is the best Sven Nykvist photography I've ever seen. Those reds! The color in this movie is implemented so flawlessly. This is a film that's going to keep me thinking about it for days.

1. Gaslight: I might as well start charging through some classic noir.

2. Wild Strawberries: I should probably just keep a steady stream of Bergman movies in this spot.

3. Grand Illusion: All I know about this movie is that all film buffs think it's great and that Woody Allen references it at least once. Sounds like my cup of tea.

4. Forbidden Planet: I feel especially bad about this because I am really into science fiction.

5. Nashville: There's got a lot of classic Altman I haven't seen.

6. The Hidden Fortress: Kurosawa movies tend to put me in a nice glow after watching one of his movies, and I gather that this one is no different.

7. Aliens: This is where all video game plots come from, isn't it?

8. Tokyo Story: Might as well start banging out these They Shoot Pictures movies. I really want to check out Ozu.

9. Satantango: Lot of love floating around this forum for this movie.

10. Red River: I'm pretty sure I've seen this, but I was probably 6 or 7 and don't remember a thing about it.

Watched - The Godfather Part II, City of God, Paths of Glory, North by Northwest, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Fanny and Alexander, 8 1/2, The Rules of the Game, His Girl Friday, The Wages of Fear, Rashomon, Stroszek, The French Connection, Singin' in the Rain, Cries and Whispers

Kull the Conqueror fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Apr 11, 2011

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I really, really hope that that's high on Criterion's Blu-Ray list.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Kull the Conqueror posted:

3. Grand Illusion: All I know about this movie is that all film buffs think it's great and that Woody Allen references it at least once. Sounds like my cup of tea.

It's a great movie indeed.

Dial M for Murder is one of the worst films I ever saw. And being a Hitchcock film makes it even worse! It's just plain dumb. It all hinges on the fact that someone would try to murder Grace Kelly. This twat should just be happy that Grace Kelly married him on the first place! Ridiculous.
No but seriously, it was an entertaining film. It misses some of the clever subtext and commentary that Vertigo, Rear Window and Psycho have, but then again not all films are like Vertigo, Rear Window and Psycho. It's a fun and tense film about the perfect murder that only a man like Hitchcock could do.

Also watched Network. Very well acted and written film. Amazing(or sad) that all you need to do is change some of the names(Russia->China, IBM->Apple, war in Angola-war in Lybia) and everything thats happening in the film and the message of the film can be easily applied to today and tomorrow. Wasn't really expecting the really dark and graphical ending though.
Really fantastic and strong movie.

My shame list:

:zombie:Infernal Affairs Scorsese remade it so it should be good.

:zombie:La Dolce Vita 8 1/2 is one of my favorite movies, but I gave up watching this one the first time.

High and Low Sounds like a Kurosawa take on Hitchcock's type of movie really.

Le Samouraï I hear John Woo wants to remake this. Other than that I know nothing.

Bridge Over River Kwai Three William Holden movies in a row!

Notorious Ingrid Bergman :swoon: and I hear Cary Grant is in this too, but who cares.

Some Like it Hot Men in drag and Marilyn Monroe. Yup.

Singin' in the Rain Time for something lighter.

Touch of Evil "I'm supposed to do a thriller for Universal. They want Charlton Heston as a Mexican."

American: The Bill Hicks Story I heard that good documentaries are worth their cinematic value, so hey, why not start with something about Bill Hicks.

Have seen so far: Mulholland Drive, The Departed, 2001:A Space Odyssey, M, The Trial, Vertigo, Yojimbo, Sanjuro, On the Waterfront, Magnolia, Brazil, Days of Heaven, The Shining, Throne of Blood, The Searchers, La Grand Illusion, Ladri di Biciclette, Tokyo Story, À bout de souffle, Once Upon a Time in America, Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain, Boogie Nights, The Wild Bunch, Dial M for Murder, Network.

Electronico6 fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Sep 21, 2012

PDMChubby
Feb 2, 2007

Electronico6, you get La Dolce Vita.

I enjoyed The Philadelphia Story more than I remember, but I'm still not totally sold on it being so great. I can see the influence, for sure, and the script and the acting are all phenomenal. It's a very funny film, and it's fun to watch, but I just don't connect with it as much as other similar films with the same/similar tones, themes, comedic approaches, and actors. I wish I did.

List:

1. To Have and Have Not - All the trappings of greatness!

2. Three Colors: Blue - Curious about this trilogy, seems to be highly regarded so I'm looking forward to it

3. La Notte - Oh boy, I love L'avventura!

4. Midnight Cowboy - I'm a little unenthusiastic about this one, but it's probably near-essential

5. Andrei Rublev - The last film of the TSPDT Top 50 I haven't seen; started it at least three times, but I can't get into it at all

6. Faust - Pretty excited for this one, I'm very fond of the Murnau I've seen and this one has intrigued me for a while

7. *NEW* Swing Time - No idea about this but it's about time I see it

8. Stranger Than Paradise - Never seen a Jarmusch

9. Night and Fog - I need more documentaries under my belt so why not a Resnais? It sounds fairly intriguing

10. The Blue Angel - It's probably an issue that I have never seen a Josef von Sternberg film...

Watched:

Dawn of the Dead - 3/5; Adaptation - 5/5; Sullivan's Travels - 3/5; Touch of Evil - 4/5; Once Upon a Time in the West - 4/5; Boogie Nights - 4/5; Almost Famous - 5/5; Hiroshima Mon Amour - 4/5; City of God - 4/5; The Treasure of the Sierra Madre - 3/5; Brazil - 5/5; Sunset Boulevard - 5/5; The Conversation - 3/5; Trainspotting - 3/5; L.A. Confidential - 4/5; Napoléon - 4/5; The Green Mile - 3/5; E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial - 3/5; Léon: The Professional - 3/5; Sideways - 3/5; MASH - 4/5; The Philadelphia Story - 4/5

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Electronico6 posted:

Watch this. It's really, really good.

I have posted here before (once I think), but I can't find the post again so I start over:

1. Wil Strawberries. I love Bergman, no excuses.

2. Ben Hur. Apparently a classic that everyone has seen. Not me!

3. A streetcar named desire. Apparently a classic. I don't know anything about this movie.

4. Tetro. Francis Ford Coppola should be reason enough, but I keep avoiding it.

5. Watership Down (Technically a rewatch, saw it first when I was ~10). I am still too scared to watch this.

6. Dreams (Kurosawa). It's Kurosawa, no excuse.

7. The hidden fortress (see above)

8. Ponyo. I love the Ghibli flicks. I should really watch this.

9. The Great Escape. Apparently it's really good.

10. The Sound of Music. I love Musicals. Pretty sure I need to see this.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Dude, this is your third list.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
Yeah, click the small question mark at the bottom left of your post, it'll show you all the posts you've made in this thread.

PDMChubby
Feb 2, 2007

Also, you skipped me. :colbert:

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

PDMChubby posted:

Also, you skipped me. :colbert:

If Popleman doesn't end up recommending you one, I'll give a strong recommendation for Blue. The entire trilogy is great, and while Blue might be the weakest (in my opinion, anyway) it's still excellent. Weakest is relative, it's just that White and Red are really superb and Blue maybe hits too close to home for it to be as enjoyable for me.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
And if PDM wants a movie suggested to him by a list maker, I'll go with the above selection of Blue, just for the poster above me.

Popelmon posted:

9. The Great Escape. Apparently it's really good.
How bout you watch the movies and review what's listed this time.

Some Like it Hot is a very well done comedy that holds up much better than I thought it would (mostly because it is a period piece in some respects). Some really well played running gags and the closing line is maybe the best one liner I've seen in a movie. Lemmon plays a woman more convincingly than he does a man at some points.

New List:

1. Annie Hall - Never seen a Woody Allen movie.

2. To Kill a Mockingbird - I've seen a few bits but never the entire thing.

3. Nikita - Same director as Leon, all I know is it's action and has been recommended to me (I love a good action movie).

4. Slumdog Millionaire - Most recent best picture movie I haven't seen. If I can watch it I would finally be able to argue why Wall-E deserved it! I have heard great things about this movie.

5. Rebecca - Hitchcock's best picture film. Like most everything else that's not recent on this list, I'm going in blind.

6. On the Waterfront - Classic Brando that I've missed.

7. How to Train Your Dragon - Goon favorite. I guess I'm making this my animated slot.

8. City Lights - Highest top 250 movie I haven't seen and a nice reappearance of Chaplin.

9. Harvey - Know nothing other than it's another James Stewart movie that was well received. I've enjoyed everything I've seen him in so far.

10. Platoon - Hey its got 2 of the stars of Major League. I imagine this has a bit of a different tone.

Watched: Chinatown 9/10, 12 Angry Men 10/10, Gone With the Wind 7/10, Casablanca 8.5/10, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest 9.5/10, The Godfather Part I 10/10, The Godfather Part II 9.5/10, Goodfellas 10/10, Do the Right Thing 7/10, A Clockwork Orange 6.5/10, Wall-E 10/10, Citizen Kane 9/10, Aliens 9.5/10, The Shawshank Redemption 9.5/10, Back to the Future 8/10, Schindler's List 10/10, Saving Private Ryan 9/10, Dr. Strangelove 6/10, Raging Bull 7/10, Rear Window 8.5/10, The Green Mile 7.5/10, Braveheart 8/10, Apocalypse Now 10/10, Seven Samurai 9/10, The Great Escape 8.5/10, City of God 8/10, Vertigo 8.5/10, Blue Velvet 8.5/10, Ratatouille 8/10, All Quiet on the Western Front 8/10, Mulholland Dr. 9/10, Sunset Blvd. 9/10, Bridge on the River Kwai 8.5/10, Memento 9/10, Unforgiven 9/10, The Usual Suspects 9/10, Network 9/10, The Social Network 7/10, Psycho 8.5/10, Black Swan 8/10, The Professional (Leon) 7.5/10, Duck Soup 7/10, Up 8.5/10, The Silence of the Lambs 9.5/10, The Hurt Locker 7.5/10, Animal Crackers 7.5/10, American Beauty 9/10, The Princess Bride 8.5/10, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington 7.5/10, The Great Dictator 8.5/10, The King's Speech 7.5/10, American History X 7/10, Taxi Driver 8/10, The Philadelphia Story 8/10, Cars 6.5/10, Dial M for Murder 7.5/10, Amélie 8.5/10, Spirited Away 9/10, North by Northwest 9.5/10, Paths of Glory 8/10, Some Like it Hot 8.5/10

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

marioinblack posted:

6. On the Waterfront - Classic Brando that I've missed.
Brando is just amazing in it.

La Dolce Vita was good, but I have grievances with it. It's a lot longer than it needs to be, being the major offender that terribly dull scene in the castle with the loony rich people. It just went on and on and on, it felt like it was half the film really. I know(and get) that LDV is a film about excess and the meaningless lives of the rich and pseudo-know it all, so having this very long scene, with a bunch of characters drunk in the middle of the darkness and doing basically nothing useful, helps establish what Fellini wants to say in a very visual style, it just turns out that watching people in the dark doing nothing is mighty boring. It's a great idea on paper, and looking back to it I feel slightly impressed by it, but then I remember I was bored through out all of it.
The final party segment was also quite stretched, made worse by the extreme mood whiplash that happens before it. So for around 2 hours this movie is like a satire about the high life of post war Rome and was about a guy stuck somewhere between social classes, trying hopelessly to be accepted as High Class, then something happens and it turns into a very cynical, depressing almost bitter film.(Or maybe it was from the beginning a cynical, depressing film, and I just didn't see it that way) Fellini also does a similar thing with 8 1/2, but in that one, when the twist happens it isn't followed by 30 minutes of people getting drunk.

But besides these two parts(and a couple of other minor ones) the film is filled with great moments. The beach and the bloated fish at the end, the fountain, all of the scenes with Marcello's father. What I did enjoy a lot was the dubbing, Fellini used to write most of the dialog after filming was done, so a lot of time the lips don't synch to what it's being said, in this film that effect gives the impression that these pseudo-intellectuals are literally talking more than they really know. Quite comical, not sure if that was the indeed effect, but it fits really well.
I just wish it would be less boring. It's a film that I liked but probably won't ever re-watch.

My shame list:

Le Samouraï I hear John Woo wants to remake this. Other than that I know nothing.

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance Return of the western spot.

Bridge Over River Kwai Three William Holden movies in a row.

Notorious Ingrid Bergman :swoon: and I hear Gary Grant is in this too, but who cares.

Touch of Evil "I'm supposed to do a thriller for Universal. They want Charlton Heston as a Mexican."

American: The Bill Hicks Story I heard that good documentaries are worth their cinematic value, so hey, why not start with something about Bill Hicks.

Have seen so far: Mulholland Drive, The Departed, 2001:A Space Odyssey, M, The Trial, Vertigo, Yojimbo, Sanjuro, On the Waterfront, Magnolia, Brazil, Days of Heaven, The Shining, Throne of Blood, The Searchers, La Grand Illusion, Ladri di Biciclette, Tokyo Story, À bout de souffle, Once Upon a Time in America, Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain, Boogie Nights, The Wild Bunch, Dial M for Murder, Network, La Dolce Vita.

Roar Yo
Apr 12, 2011

EDIT: Wow, really? I don't know how in the hell I managed that. Let's see if I can get it right this time. Electronico6's movie recommendation.... American: the Bill Hicks Story! I've always loved Bill Hicks (or at least since I was first exposed to him) and the documentary provided an interesting look at the man and gives you an idea of some of the things that influenced him as a comic and a person. Don't watch it expecting to see a whole mess of other comedians talking about how great he was, though. It's his friends and family telling giving an account of his life, from being a teenager being forced to go to church every Sunday to his battles with alcoholism to his battle with cancer.

Now for my list...

1. Sanjuro - I have no idea why I haven't seen this yet. I enjoyed Yojimbo, I like the character (who doesn't like the morally ambiguous ronin/cowboy/insert other drifter with mad combat skillz), and I own the movie.

2. 2001: A Space Odyssey - I've tried watching it once, but to be completely honest I feel asleep. Granted, I was in bed and already kind of tired, but Kubrick deserves better than that. I think this was before I started really getting into movies.

3. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly - You can really just put all of Sergio Leone's Man with No Name movies here. For a long time I was never really interested in westerns, but that's changed recently thanks to 3:10 to Yuma, Firefly, the Coen brothers' True Grit, and probably a few other things I can't remember right now. Oh, and for those of you who enjoyed this movie you should watch The Good, the Bad, and the Weird at some point. It has the unique distinction of being the only Korean movie I've seen that isn't depressing.

4. 12 Angry Men - I've enjoyed every Lumet movie I've seen (goodnight, sweet prince), but I've never gotten around to watching it. I may have seen parts of it in whichever high school English class we read it in, but if we did I don't remember a single scene.

5. North by Northwest - Feel free to add Vertigo and any other Hitchcock movie you want because the only movie of his I've seen is the Birds, and I didn't really appreciate it (read: laughed throughout the movie).

6. To Kill a Mockingbird - Gregory Peck really has a thing for playing good guys. I've heard great things about this movies and have seen a few scenes here and there in a high school English class (maybe even the same).

7. Amadeus - DOCTOR ZAIUS! DOCTOR ZAIUS! Never seen it, but again I've heard good things. I haven't been shamed by too many people for not having seen it, though, but that's probably because most of the people I hang out with aren't into movies the way I am.

8. Insert random Bergman movie here - My dad raves about Bergman films, Ebert loves a lot of them, and a few are available to watch instantly on Netflix.

9. Anything by Fellini - I've seen his name listed along with Hitchcock, Kurosawa, and Bergman, but I've never seen any of his movies.

10. Deliverance - A young Jon Voight! Burt Reynolds and his mustache! A completely innocuous whitewater rafting trip! Banjos meeting on the field of honor! Piggies squealing! Yeah, I've heard a lot about Deliverance (I can't believe they got away with the Deliverance references on Tiny Toons) and I've even referenced it, but I've never seen it.

I'm not sure whether to add this here or not, but I'll do it anyway. The only David Lynch movie I've seen is Mulholland Drive, and that was also before I got into movies (can you guess why I rented it?). Looking back, it just seems really pretentious and it kind of turned me off to the idea of seeing any more of his movies. Well, that and the parts of Dune I saw left me really disappointed after having read all of the books. Should I give Lynch another shot?

Roar Yo fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Apr 13, 2011

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Roar Yo posted:

To be perfectly honest, I've never heard of any of the movies on Peaceful Anarchy's list, but I'm going to go ahead and tell you to see Yi-Yi. While movies this long can be somewhat daunting, if the movie is well paced and engaging you'll hardly feel the passage of time, like playing Civ.
I think you missed a page, or 60. You want to pick for Electronico6.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Must've had that tab open since June.

knees of putty
Apr 2, 2009

gottle o' gear!

Roar Yo posted:

5. North by Northwest - Feel free to add Vertigo and any other Hitchcock movie you want because the only movie of his I've seen is the Birds, and I didn't really appreciate it (read: laughed throughout the movie).

I wanted to pick insert random by Bergman, but North By Northwest took my fancy.

La Grande Illusion Early French cinema is a rich seam for me. I simply adore it. Renoir made a wonderfully humanistic plea for peace and a great argument for the futility of war. The PoW bonding between the classes was clever and significant, but the stand out for me is the breakout and aftermath. Heavy and foreboding in the last, it was a powerful and rich portrayal of the pointlessness of conflict.

So my list becomes ...

La Dolce Vita. More Fellini.

Tokyo Story. Because I should.

Cry of the City. Recommended Noir.

L'atalante. Proto-neauveau vague apparently.

Peeping Tom. Apparently it’s informed British cinema since.

Days of Heaven The Malick I've yet to see.

L'avventura First Antonioni.

Sunrise I'd like to see more silent.

Man who shot liberty valance More westerns.

City Lights Chaplin at last!

Dmitri Russkie
Feb 13, 2008

Was very impressed by The Dark Knight. Had a little trouble getting into the story at the beginning, but once I was in, it was a non-stopped thrill ride. It was not only a good superhero movie, it was a good movie in general. Was a character study of not only Batman, The Joker, Harvey Dent, etc. but also the people of Gotham as well as the audience in general.

Knees of Putty, see The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. Jimmy Stewart, John Wayne, what could be better?

My List:
M - Heard alot about it, but never saw it.

No Country For Old Men - As someone on this thread mentioned, I also get this confused with There will be Blood. That will be added to my list later

Lawrence of Arabia - I've seen this has been recommended alot. Haven't seen it yet.

Brazil

Duck Soup - Another Marx Brothers film that I'd like to see

The Princess and the Frog - I usually make sure that I watch a DVD when I buy it, but I bought this movie over a year ago and I still haven't seen it.

Rashomon - Going to stick with a Kurasawa movie here.

My Fair Lady - I'm going to stick with musicals in this spot.

Plan 9 From Outer Space - Having finally seen Ed Wood, I'd like to see one of his movies

The Public Enemy - Never saw any James Cagney film.

Movies Seen: Seven Samurai, Dune, Singin' in the Rain, Animal Crackers, Once Upon a Time in the West, Amadeus, Double Indemnity, The Day the Earth Stood Still, 12 Angry Men, Ed Wood, Sunset Boulevard, The Dark Knight

Dmitri Russkie fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Apr 13, 2011

Sandwich Bender
Mar 4, 2004

Dmitri Russkie, you really need to experience Plan 9 From Outer Space. I like to think that Plan 9 invented the whole "so bad it's good" genre. Ed Wood was something else.

This goes without saying, since it's what this thread is all about, but there are far, far too many "great" movies that I haven't seen. So here are ten of the dozens (if not hundreds) constantly floating 'round my noodle.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - I love Jack Nicholson and I love crazy people. I know I would love this, just haven't checked it out yet.

Seven Samurai - This is one of the films that I haven't seen and yet I'm sure I've seen countless films inspired by it. I haven't seen any Kurosawa, actually. Until recently I couldn't bring myself to watch anything black and white or subtitled, let alone something black and white AND subtitled. 12 Angry Men (which you should watch, Roar Yo) made me realize I can definitely love B & W.

Once Upon a Time in the West - I love Westerns, but I've seen a criminally small amount. I haven't seen The Man With No Name trilogy either, but since that's three films and this is just one, I put Once Upon on here.

Apocalypse Now - Another classic I've neven gotten around to seeing, Coppola recently shooting a film in my small Northern California town made me want to watch more of his movies.

Raging Bull - I've been wanting to check out more Scorcese lately as well and I feel that the majority of De Niro roles that I've seen have been lovely ones. I'm talking the Focker series and what not. I need to see the man at his best.

The Seventh Seal - I just learned of this movie recently and it sounds fantastic. I need to see a good playing-Chess-with-Death movie that's not Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey.

Blade Runner - I have no good excuse for not seeing this. I love sci-fi, Ridley Scott, Harrison Ford, fuckin' robots, etc.

Fargo - I have seen criminally few Coen Brothers films, though True Grit showed me their excellence. I've rarely heard the Coens spoken about without Fargo mentioned, so this feels like one I should see.

A Hitchcock film that isn't Rear Window - I loving love Rear Window and Hitchcock displays everything I love about storytelling, though I've only seen the one film of his (I think).

The Exorcist - To be honest, I think I may have been avoiding this movie out of fear I'll be too creeped out by it. But that's stupid and I'm a coward. I enjoy horror, so I'll probably like this.

Someone choose my fate! This thread is rad.

TenSpadesBeTrump
Oct 22, 2010
Sandwich Bender, you will love One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

I was really not expecting to like The Best Years of Our Lives as much as I did. I was expecting a cliched "soldiers come home but are never the same" story but... well that's what it was. The thing that saves this movie is the amazing script. The dialog and scenarios make this movie great. Knowing the story behind Harold Russell makes his performance that much better. The movie does fall apart towards the end, focusing too much on the romance plots, when I wanted to see more of the three soldiers interacting. 4.5/5

Bed and Board
The continuing adventures of Antoine Doinel.
Hearts and Minds
I always confuse this with Night and Fog
A Bittersweet Life
The Koreans haven't let me down yet.
Sleuth
This sounds very similar to Deathtrap. I hope its better.
Before Sunrise
This gets a lot of praise, but I don't like Ethan Hawke at all.
Shock Corridor
Don't know too much about it.
L'atalante
Next highest on TSPDT. I really know nothing at all about this one.
Far From Heaven
Next highest on TSPDT's 21st Century list.
Shadows
More Cassavetes.
Rebecca
On the most lists.

Not ashamed anymore: Lawrence of Arabia 4.5/5, The Battle of Algiers 2/5, Toy Story 2 3.5/5, Sherman's March 3.5/5, His Girl Friday 4/5, Last Year at Marienbad 3/5, M 4/5, Stolen Kisses 3/5, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp 4/5, Lost Highway 4/5, Gates of Heaven 3/5, Downfall 4/5, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid 4/5, Grizzly Man 4/5, Wings of Desire 2/5, Z 3/5, A Shot in the Dark 2.5/5, Toy Story 3 4.5/5, The Fountain 4/5, Inland Empire 2/5, The Wild Bunch 4/5, Hunger 4.5/5, The Green Mile 3.5/5, The Ballad of Cable Hogue 4/5, A Woman Under the Influence 5/5, La Dolce Vita 4/5, Das Boot 4.5/5, Camera Buff 4.5/5, The Red Shoes 4.5/5, The Rules of the Game 3.5/5, Persona 4.5/5, Black Narcissus 2.5/5, The Battleship Potemkin 3.5/5, Departures 4/5, The Wages of Fear 4.5/5, Werckmeister Harmonies, 4/5, Blazing Saddles 1.5/5, Pickpocket 4/5, McCabe and Mrs. Miller 5/5, Le Cercle Rouge 4/5, Night and Fog ?/5, Opening Night 5/5, Notorious 4.5/5, Night of the Living Dead 3.5/5, Seven Chances 4/5, Faces 4/5, Europa 3/5, A Day at the Races 4/5, Three Colors: White 4.5/5, Vernon, Florida 4.5/5, Hud 3.5/5, Slacker 4.5/5, The Thing 4/5, Code Unknown 3.5/5, The Double Life of Veronique 4/5, Close Encounters of the Third Kind 4/5, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie 4.5/5, Sullivan's Travels 3.5/5, The Death of Mr. Lazarescu 4/5, Ben-Hur 2.5/5, Mona Lisa 3/5, Brief Encounter 4/5, Laura 4/5, Beauty and the Beast 4/5, Solaris 3/5, Alphaville 4/5, Nights of Cabiria 3.5/5, Gun Crazy 4/5, Tokyo Story 3.5/5, The Piano Teacher 3.5/5, Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans 3.5/5, The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 4/5, The Best Years of Our Lives 4.5/5

Mistletoe Donkey
Jan 26, 2009
TenSpades, watch A Bittersweet Life

Wings of Desire started out cold with me and left me feeling truly moved. I guess the coldness I felt in the beginning was there intentionally to show the angels' detached existence. I was not expecting it to hit me the way it did once I got into it though. Such a beautiful film. I'll be thinking about it for a while.

1) The Birds- can't go wrong with Hitchcock and suspense
2) The Asphalt Jungle- love those heist films
3) Metropolis- it's time I saw this
4) Battleship Potemkin- I've only seen silent comedies and it's time to expand my horizons. This seems like essential viewing
5) The Friends of Eddie Coyle- owned this for a while, but never gotten around to it
6) Pan's Labyrinth- wanted some newer stuff on here, don't know if I'll like this
7) Captain Blood- let's have some fun
8) Wild Strawberries- Bergman hasn't failed me yet
9) Steamboat Bill, Jr.- so far I've liked The General the best from my Chaplin/Keaton viewings, I'm ready to see some of Keaton's other stuff
10) Shane- this is another stop on my way to the Searchers, hope I like it as much as penismightier does

Watched: Blade Runner, Seven Samurai, Lawrence of Arabia, Alien, Breathless, Forbidden Planet, Night of the Living Dead, Days of Heaven, Bonnie and Clyde, Stagecoach, Once Upon a Time in the West, Blue Velvet, Bullet in the Head, The Shining, Jackie Brown, Mulholland Drive, The Godfather Part 2, The Right Stuff, The Big Sleep, My Darling Clementine, The Seventh Seal, Le Samourai, Vertigo, Le Cercle Rouge, Dog Day Afternoon, Double Indemnity, Requiem for a Dream, Singin' In The Rain, Serpico, 8 1/2, The General, Dracula, She Wore A Yellow Ribbon, Solaris, Brazil, City Lights, Aguirre the Wrath of God, The Day The Earth Stood Still, Planet of the Apes, 12 Monkeys, The Gold Rush, The Getaway, Dawn of the Dead, The Dirty Dozen, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Zodiac, Chinatown, Memories of Murder, The Insider, The Thing From Another World, The Thing, The Wrath of Khan, Pierrot Le Fou, Oldboy, All The President's Men, Army of Shadows, 2046, Frankenstein, The Battle of Algiers, The Wages of Fear, Gojira, King Kong, Sleeper, Wings of Desire

PDMChubby
Feb 2, 2007

Mistletoe Donkey, you get Steamboat Bill, Jr., it's my favorite Keaton.

Three Colors: Blue was very good. I didn't have any expectations for it, and I started out quite neutral towards it, but as it progresses it just keeps getting better and better. The film is, obviously, very gorgeous, and between the cinematography, lighting, and wonderful use of color (okay, I expected that), the film stays visually interesting so even if the story is dull, it still looks great. But the story isn't dull, in fact, it's often beautiful and engaging. I certainly like Juliette Binoche in this far more than any other role I've seen her play. I love how the film is very much founded on the ideas of grief and loss and yet it never crosses the line into annoying melodrama, it just plays it straight and keeps it compelling. The final few minutes make it feel almost like an epic (Julie's whole story coming full circle in the way it does is truly an incredible ending) despite it being only an hour and a half long. I look forward to rewatching it in the future, and I'm much more excited to see the other two now, especially since it seems many consider this to be the weakest of the trilogy.

List:

2. *NEW* The Thin Man - Ashamed indeed...

4. Midnight Cowboy - I'm a little unenthusiastic about this one, but it's probably near-essential

5. Andrei Rublev - The last film of the TSPDT Top 50 I haven't seen; started it at least three times, but I can't get into it at all

6. Faust - Pretty excited for this one, I'm very fond of the Murnau I've seen and this one has intrigued me for a while

7. Swing Time - No idea about this but it's about time I see it

9. Night and Fog - I need more documentaries under my belt so why not a Resnais? It sounds fairly intriguing

10. The Blue Angel - It's probably an issue that I have never seen a Josef von Sternberg film...

Watched:

Dawn of the Dead - 3/5; Adaptation - 5/5; Sullivan's Travels - 3/5; Touch of Evil - 4/5; Once Upon a Time in the West - 4/5; Boogie Nights - 4/5; Almost Famous - 5/5; Hiroshima Mon Amour - 4/5; City of God - 4/5; The Treasure of the Sierra Madre - 3/5; Brazil - 5/5; Sunset Boulevard - 5/5; The Conversation - 3/5; Trainspotting - 3/5; L.A. Confidential - 4/5; Napoléon - 4/5; The Green Mile - 3/5; E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial - 3/5; Léon: The Professional - 3/5; Sideways - 3/5; MASH - 4/5; The Philadelphia Story - 4/5; Three Colors: Blue - 5/5

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

PDMChubby posted:

I look forward to rewatching it in the future, and I'm much more excited to see the other two now, especially since it seems many consider this to be the weakest of the trilogy.
Actually I think most consider White the weakest in the trilogy, but they're all great films.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Yeah, I think it's generally considered White is the weakest.

TenSpadesBeTrump
Oct 22, 2010
White is just so much different than the other two. I personally like it the most, but it is generally considered the weakest.

PDMChubby
Feb 2, 2007

:v:

Oh well, I guess that shows how much I know about that trilogy!

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
For what it's worth, I agree with the apparent consensus that Red's the strongest, (I also thought White was the weakest, but still good) so you're still in for some awesomeness.

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

PDMChubby posted:

Haven't seen any of your list but this one sounds the most interesting.

The Thin Red Line is a great war movie. I loved the contrast between the calm introspection and intense battle scenes. The movie looks amazing, the island is shot beautifully. I'm glad I waited for the Blu Ray. The few characters that get a lot of screen-time are superb, and all of the actors do a terrific job. This film does seem a bit unfocused, but it's still a very good and unique look into a fairly overused setting.

1. It's a Wonderful Life - Seems like it might be too cheesy.

2. Singin' in the Rain - I guess I have to put this here after A Clockwork Orange used the title song so prominently.

3. The Maltese Falcon - Another classic noir, haven't seen Bogart since Casablanca.

4. The Night of the Hunter - Actually had this for a week but never got around to watching it for some reason.

5. Once Upon a Time in the West - Love the Dollars trilogy, don't know why I haven't seen this yet.

6. The Thin Red Line The Exterminating Angel - Highest PSI in my Criticker profile. Don't know anything else about it.

7. City of God - Going into this one fairly blind, which is rare since I somehow read the ending to every movie ever made.

8. Dial M for Murder - MURDER!

9. The Sting - Sounds fun. :zombie: Has been on list the longest. :zombie:

10. Le Samouraï - This sounds...interesting.

Watched: The Seventh Seal, Moon, Barton Fink, The Thin Blue Line, Cool Hand Luke, Citizen Kane, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Rear Window, North by Northwest, Goodfellas, Casablanca, City Lights, Seven Samurai, The Bicycle Thief, Do the Right Thing, The Battle of Algiers, On the Waterfront, Wild Strawberries, The Trial, Adaptation, Unforgiven, Annie Hall, The 400 Blows, Diabolique, Mulholland Dr., Dirty Harry, The 39 Steps, Aguirre: The Wrath of God, 8 1/2, Boogie Nights, A Streetcar Named Desire, Raiders of the Lost Ark, The General, Pickpocket, Pulp Fiction, Amadeus, Lawrence of Arabia, Eraserhead, The Lady Vanishes, The Wild Bunch, A Clockwork Orange, Platoon, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Ikiru, Jules and Jim, The Asphalt Jungle, M, The Thin Red Line

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Atheistdeals.com posted:

8. Dial M for Murder - MURDER!

In 3D!

American: The Bill Hicks Story was a very entertaining bio documentary. I really loved the idea of the cut and paste animation to drive the movie, instead of just people talking to a camera talking about how Bill Hicks was the man. It gave the move it's own distinctive feel. Also just getting his friends and family make up this more of a personal journey, then having a bunch of other comedians talking about how Bill Hicks changed their life.
It was very entertaining(and educational) watch, and sad cause you remember that there isn't anyone like Bill around these days. Even if his act can be 100% applied to today.

My shame list:

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance Return of the western spot.

Bridge Over River Kwai Three William Holden movies in a row.

Notorious Ingrid Bergman :swoon: and I hear Gary Grant is in this too, but who cares.

A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies Martin Scorsese talks about cinema for 4 hours. Sounds awesome really.

Have seen so far: Mulholland Drive, The Departed, 2001:A Space Odyssey, M, The Trial, Vertigo, Yojimbo, Sanjuro, On the Waterfront, Magnolia, Brazil, Days of Heaven, The Shining, Throne of Blood, The Searchers, La Grand Illusion, Ladri di Biciclette, Tokyo Story, À bout de souffle, Once Upon a Time in America, Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain, Boogie Nights, The Wild Bunch, Dial M for Murder, Network, La Dolce Vita, American: The Bill Hicks Story.

Mistletoe Donkey
Jan 26, 2009
Electronico6, Le Samourai is amazing

Steamboat Bill, Jr. was brilliant. Keaton absolutely kills me. The storm sequence had me rolling and I loved everything about it. I don't know what it is, but Keaton's movies hit me better than Chaplin's.

1) The Birds- can't go wrong with Hitchcock and suspense
2) The Asphalt Jungle- love those heist films
3) Metropolis- it's time I saw this
4) Battleship Potemkin- I've only seen silent comedies and it's time to expand my horizons. This seems like essential viewing
5) The Friends of Eddie Coyle- owned this for a while, but never gotten around to it
6) Pan's Labyrinth- wanted some newer stuff on here, don't know if I'll like this
7) Captain Blood- let's have some fun
8) Wild Strawberries- Bergman hasn't failed me yet
9) Sherlock Jr.- let's keep the Keaton going
10) The Furies- I want to knock some Mann off my list before I watch The Searchers

Watched: Blade Runner, Seven Samurai, Lawrence of Arabia, Alien, Breathless, Forbidden Planet, Night of the Living Dead, Days of Heaven, Bonnie and Clyde, Stagecoach, Once Upon a Time in the West, Blue Velvet, Bullet in the Head, The Shining, Jackie Brown, Mulholland Drive, The Godfather Part 2, The Right Stuff, The Big Sleep, My Darling Clementine, The Seventh Seal, Le Samourai, Vertigo, Le Cercle Rouge, Dog Day Afternoon, Double Indemnity, Requiem for a Dream, Singin' In The Rain, Serpico, 8 1/2, The General, Dracula, She Wore A Yellow Ribbon, Solaris, Brazil, City Lights, Aguirre the Wrath of God, The Day The Earth Stood Still, Planet of the Apes, 12 Monkeys, The Gold Rush, The Getaway, Dawn of the Dead, The Dirty Dozen, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Zodiac, Chinatown, Memories of Murder, The Insider, The Thing From Another World, The Thing, The Wrath of Khan, Pierrot Le Fou, Oldboy, All The President's Men, Army of Shadows, 2046, Frankenstein, The Battle of Algiers, The Wages of Fear, Gojira, King Kong, Sleeper, Wings of Desire, Steamboat Bill Jr.

PDMChubby
Feb 2, 2007

Mistletoe Donkey, try out The Birds.

Night and Fog had some pretty shocking images. I did enjoy the very Resnais-esque narration (Resnais-esque, of course, because it's a Resnais film), but this film is just so different that it's hard to say I liked or disliked much else. Documentaries are hard for me, but this one really likes to blend poetic descriptions with very bleak imagery which is a bit refreshing but at the same time it doesn't do much for me. The narration even acknowledges the film's limitations, and I guess it makes me feel less distant from the Holocaust but then again it has a tough time connecting. It still has it's shock and definitely makes the audience feel some pain for what happened--though I'm sure it was substantially more affecting in 1955.

List:

2. The Thin Man - Ashamed indeed...

7. Swing Time - No idea about this but it's about time I see it

9. *NEW* Das Boot - I guess someone has to force me to watch this too

Watched:

Dawn of the Dead - 3/5; Adaptation - 5/5; Sullivan's Travels - 3/5; Touch of Evil - 4/5; Once Upon a Time in the West - 4/5; Boogie Nights - 4/5; Almost Famous - 5/5; Hiroshima Mon Amour - 4/5; City of God - 4/5; The Treasure of the Sierra Madre - 3/5; Brazil - 5/5; Sunset Boulevard - 5/5; The Conversation - 3/5; Trainspotting - 3/5; L.A. Confidential - 4/5; Napoléon - 4/5; The Green Mile - 3/5; E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial - 3/5; Léon: The Professional - 3/5; Sideways - 3/5; MASH - 4/5; The Philadelphia Story - 4/5; Three Colors: Blue - 5/5; Night and Fog - 3/5

TenSpadesBeTrump
Oct 22, 2010
PDMChubby, I'm forcing you to watch Das Boot

A Bittersweet Life was another great film from Kim Jee-woon. Lee Byung-hun gives another great performance as a former mob enforcer who was betrayed by his boss and is now out for revenge. 4.5/5

Bed and Board
The continuing adventures of Antoine Doinel.
Hearts and Minds
I always confuse this with Night and Fog
Sleuth
This sounds very similar to Deathtrap. I hope its better.
Before Sunrise
This gets a lot of praise, but I don't like Ethan Hawke at all.
Shock Corridor
Don't know too much about it.
L'atalante
Next highest on TSPDT. I really know nothing at all about this one.
Far From Heaven
Next highest on TSPDT's 21st Century list.
Shadows
More Cassavetes.
Rebecca
On the most lists.
Alice
I've seen a few of Svankmajer's shorts and they are interesting.

Not ashamed anymore: Lawrence of Arabia 4.5/5, The Battle of Algiers 2/5, Toy Story 2 3.5/5, Sherman's March 3.5/5, His Girl Friday 4/5, Last Year at Marienbad 3/5, M 4/5, Stolen Kisses 3/5, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp 4/5, Lost Highway 4/5, Gates of Heaven 3/5, Downfall 4/5, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid 4/5, Grizzly Man 4/5, Wings of Desire 2/5, Z 3/5, A Shot in the Dark 2.5/5, Toy Story 3 4.5/5, The Fountain 4/5, Inland Empire 2/5, The Wild Bunch 4/5, Hunger 4.5/5, The Green Mile 3.5/5, The Ballad of Cable Hogue 4/5, A Woman Under the Influence 5/5, La Dolce Vita 4/5, Das Boot 4.5/5, Camera Buff 4.5/5, The Red Shoes 4.5/5, The Rules of the Game 3.5/5, Persona 4.5/5, Black Narcissus 2.5/5, The Battleship Potemkin 3.5/5, Departures 4/5, The Wages of Fear 4.5/5, Werckmeister Harmonies, 4/5, Blazing Saddles 1.5/5, Pickpocket 4/5, McCabe and Mrs. Miller 5/5, Le Cercle Rouge 4/5, Night and Fog ?/5, Opening Night 5/5, Notorious 4.5/5, Night of the Living Dead 3.5/5, Seven Chances 4/5, Faces 4/5, Europa 3/5, A Day at the Races 4/5, Three Colors: White 4.5/5, Vernon, Florida 4.5/5, Hud 3.5/5, Slacker 4.5/5, The Thing 4/5, Code Unknown 3.5/5, The Double Life of Veronique 4/5, Close Encounters of the Third Kind 4/5, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie 4.5/5, Sullivan's Travels 3.5/5, The Death of Mr. Lazarescu 4/5, Ben-Hur 2.5/5, Mona Lisa 3/5, Brief Encounter 4/5, Laura 4/5, Beauty and the Beast 4/5, Solaris 3/5, Alphaville 4/5, Nights of Cabiria 3.5/5, Gun Crazy 4/5, Tokyo Story 3.5/5, The Piano Teacher 3.5/5, Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans 3.5/5, The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 4/5, The Best Years of Our Lives 4.5/5, A Bittersweet Life 4.5/5

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

PDMChubby posted:

Night and Fog had some pretty shocking images. I did enjoy the very Resnais-esque narration (Resnais-esque, of course, because it's a Resnais film), but this film is just so different that it's hard to say I liked or disliked much else. Documentaries are hard for me, but this one really likes to blend poetic descriptions with very bleak imagery which is a bit refreshing but at the same time it doesn't do much for me. The narration even acknowledges the film's limitations, and I guess it makes me feel less distant from the Holocaust but then again it has a tough time connecting. It still has it's shock and definitely makes the audience feel some pain for what happened--though I'm sure it was substantially more affecting in 1955.

As Night and Fog might be my favorite movie, I'll make a small comment: Night and Fog is not a Holocaust movie so mcuh as it is a movie about holocausts and genocide. It was almost certainly the first film to deal with the Holocaust in World War II in a documentary fashion, but it isn't like Shoah; Resnais was not trying to document what the specific atrocity was like for future generations to look back on. Rather, Night and Fog was trying to force viewers at that time to question why the Holocaust happened, how it could have happened, and to realize that similar genocides would happen again if people didn't actively force the world to change. Quite frankly, I think Resnais might even feel that genocide is inevitable, and maybe just wanted people to discuss that realization as well.

I'm not trying to change your stance on the film: it is difficult and everything you say is pretty spot on. I just wanted to offer a different view on the film.

You can look here if you have some desire to hear more of my thoughts. I'm just happy another person saw the film.

Voodoofly fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Apr 15, 2011

PDMChubby
Feb 2, 2007

That's an interesting perspective. I'll fully admit that I feel like I missed the point in a way... it will require a second viewing and more thinking it over, for sure. I do like your viewpoint a lot, that it's about the inevitability of the act and that it's not actually "about" what it's specifically showing at all. And, as you point out, it's not trying to be journalistic, which makes it unique given the topic and what documentaries are "supposed" to be like. Actually, my problems with it are probably more that I'm thinking of it too much as a documentary when it really isn't one at all. And also that I'm not too fond of documentaries (though that's mostly through ignorance of the genre).

PDMChubby fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Apr 15, 2011

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

PDMChubby posted:

That's an interesting perspective. I'll fully admit that I feel like I missed the point in a way... it will require a second viewing and more thinking it over, for sure. I do like your viewpoint a lot, that it's about the inevitability of the act and that it's not actually "about" what it's specifically showing at all. And, as you point out, it's not trying to be journalistic, which makes it unique given the topic and what documentaries are "supposed" to be like. Actually, my problems with it are probably more that I'm thinking of it too much as a documentary when it really isn't one at all. And also that I'm not too fond of documentaries (though that's mostly through ignorance of the genre).

I think the single biggest problem with documentaries is the name itself. Non-fiction, or essay, both seem to me a better term, but you will look like an idiot if you go around asking people what their favorite non-fiction film is (trust me). Assuming that anything that isn't a fictional film needs to be objective or journalistic would basically erase all of my favorite docs. Nobody expects that every book that isn't in the fiction section should be an objective, unbiased report on some topic or another. Sadly, that isn't the case with film.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
TenSpadesBeTrump, Rebecca is a really solid Hitchcock. You'll probably like it.

The Bicycle Thief was just brutal. The story was simple but affecting, and Lamberto Maggiorani has such an expressive face that it really sells the emotion. I also loved how Rome was filmed, particularly when he finds the thief in the slums. I'm planning on checking out Umberto D at some point, and I'll go from there with the neorealists.

Lawrence of Arabia - I don't typically like period epics, and this is the one most people think of when you say "period epic."

The Searchers - I tend to like revisionist westerns more than the classics, and from what I can tell this straddles the line.

To Kill A Mockingbird - Have caught most of it on TV at various points, so it's low on the priority list

The Bridge on the River Kwai - Same as To Kill
The Rules of the Game - May as well start at the top of the TSPDT 1000.
Tokyo Story - Next on the list.

Bonnie and Clyde - No reason, really. I've heard its reputation is greater its actual quality, so it didn't seem pressing.

Mean Streets
L'Avventura - I enjoyed Blow-Up, and I've heard this is Antonioni's best.

Bicycle Thieves
Ran - I've only seen a handful of Kurosawa, and this is probably his most well-respected that I haven't gotten to.

Breakfast at Tiffany's - Heard conflicting things about it.

morestuff fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Apr 15, 2011

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

morestuff: you get "Ran", which is a fantastic Kurosawa.

I FINALLY watched "Cool Hand Luke" after over a month, and I enjoyed it. I honestly don't feel it was a "great" movie, but it was enjoyable, and I was entertained. I don't think I quite get the hype though. I will say I was piqued by some of the "Luke as Christ" stuff going on. I knew next to nothing about the movie, but I picked up on some of the stuff right away, and wasn't surprised when I saw some other people who saw it as well. Obviously its not 1 to 1 parallel, but I have to believe its there on purpose. Anybody have other thoughts on the topic?

My new list:

My new list:

1. Any Fellini movie NOT "La Strada"

2. 400 Blows:
Not a huge fan of French cinema, but looks interesting

3. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid:
More Paul Newman

4. The Great Dictator:
Now that I've seen some Chaplin, this is one that always interested me.

5. To Kill a Mockingbird:
Honestly I don't know much about it other then that it's a movie that exists and is supposed to be good

6. The Elephant Man:
It's Karl Pilkington's favorite movie, which is enough reason for me to check it out sometime

7. In Bruges:
I know nothing about this, but it seems to be highly rated.

Already watched: Jaws, Scenes From a Marriage, The Searchers, Fanny and Alexander, Sawdust and Tinsel, Stagecoach, Silence of the Lambs, Modern Times, Do the Right Thing, Schindler's List, Mr Smith Goes to Washington, Magnolia, La Strada, Die Hard, Persona, Aliens, The Great Escape, Cool Hand Luke

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

zandert33, you get The 400 Blows. And you go find three more movies for your list and think up the Fellini movie you most want to see, young man!

I just finished A Night at the Opera and I really liked it; I even preferred it to Duck Soup. It didn't make me laugh out loud, but I found the cast very endearing. It's hard not to like the three brothers and Allan Jones' unrelentingly nice Zeppo stand-in. There's not much that could possibly be more fun than hanging out with the brothers in real life. It's a shame none of us'll ever get that chance.

The Hunt For Red October; The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford; Rashomon; Clash of the Titans; Tron; Enter the Dragon; The Karate Kid; Raging Bull; Cool Hand Luke; High and Low; Amores perros; City of God; Grand Slam; Robocop; The Maltese Falcon; Casablanca; Laura; Full Metal Jacket; Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid; Blue Velvet; Apocalypse Now; Tombstone; Natural Born Killers; Alien; Barton Fink; F for Fake; Boogie Nights; The Evil Dead; Annie Hall; Paris, Texas; Léon/The Professional; Amarcord; ; The 400 Blows; Do the Right Thing; Beauty and the Beast; Casino; American Graffiti; Death to Smoochy; Bram Stoker's Dracula; Serpico; Forbidden Planet; Au Revoir Les Enfants; Tremors; Vertigo; 12 Angry Men; Pierrot le Fou; Where Eagles Dare; Kagemusha; The Terminator; The Battleship Potemkin; The Bicycle Thief; The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert; The Constant Gardener; Walkabout; 3:10 to Yuma; What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?; Aliens; Rain Man; Xich Lo; Akira; Jules et Jim; Johnny Guitar; Rocky Horror Picture Show; The Thin Blue Line; The Thin Red Line; Blackmail; Slacker; The Cook, the Thief, his Wife, and her Lover; Terminator 2; Blazing Saddles; The Thin Man; Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!; Sideways; Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia; L'Avventura; Gone With the Wind; Blue; White; Red; Primer; Schindler's List; Network; Beverly Hills Cop; Sweet Sweetback's Baadassss Song; A Night at the Opera

Carlito's Way: I've seen as many mob movies as any self-respecting 20-something American male, but not only have I not seen this one, but somehow I managed not to know anything about this movie except that it stars Pacino.
:zombie: Also, this is the only movie of my original ten still here. :zombie:
Celine and Julie Go Boating: Blind buy. Three hours of French surrealism? Well, gently caress, I'll try anything once.
Chinatown: Bob McKee's book Story spoiled the poo poo out of it, but I still feel like I should watch it anyway.
Fish Tank: (2009) I do not know a thing about this movie except that everyone who sees it apparently thinks really, really hard about it afterward.
Mishima: Pretty to look at, directed by the guy who wrote Taxi Driver, and insanely controversial in the country where it's set. Not a hard sell for me.
The Natural: I always hear the greatest things about Redford, but I haven't seen much stuff with him in it. Levinson's hit-or-miss with me.
Night of the Living Dead: Well, now that it's free in 1080p on YouTube, I have no excuse whatsoever.
Strange Days: From the bits and pieces I caught on HBO when I was a teenager (I wasn't watching for the plot), I thought it was just some DTV schlock. Since then, I've heard it's a lot better than I gave it credit for. I do so love the cyberpunk.
Tampopo: Blind buy. "Japanese 'noodle Western' comedy" is easily weird enough to grab my interest.
Uzak: I've never seen a Turkish film.

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

CloseFriend posted:

Night of the Living Dead: Well, now that it's free in 1080p on YouTube, I have no excuse whatsoever.

Enjoy.

Dial M for Murder is a great film that gets by entirely on the strength of its story and acting. The way that the plot unfolds is perfect. I've seen so many great Hitchcock films, and there at least 6 more that I haven't seen that are considered classics as well. Dude had a pretty good career I guess. Also, I didn't realize that I had seen a remake of this beforehand (A Perfect Murder). That dampened things just a little bit.

1. It's a Wonderful Life - Seems like it might be too cheesy.

2. Singin' in the Rain - I guess I have to put this here after A Clockwork Orange used the title song so prominently.

3. The Maltese Falcon - Another classic noir, haven't seen Bogart since Casablanca.

4. The Night of the Hunter - Actually had this for a week but never got around to watching it for some reason.

5. Once Upon a Time in the West - Love the Dollars trilogy, don't know why I haven't seen this yet.

6. The Exterminating Angel - Highest PSI in my Criticker profile. Don't know anything else about it.

7. City of God - Going into this one fairly blind, which is rare since I somehow read the ending to every movie ever made.

8. Dial M for Murder A Woman Under the Influence - I got nothin'.

9. The Sting - Sounds fun. :zombie: Has been on list the longest. :zombie:

10. Le Samouraï - This sounds...interesting.

Watched: The Seventh Seal, Moon, Barton Fink, The Thin Blue Line, Cool Hand Luke, Citizen Kane, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Rear Window, North by Northwest, Goodfellas, Casablanca, City Lights, Seven Samurai, The Bicycle Thief, Do the Right Thing, The Battle of Algiers, On the Waterfront, Wild Strawberries, The Trial, Adaptation, Unforgiven, Annie Hall, The 400 Blows, Diabolique, Mulholland Dr., Dirty Harry, The 39 Steps, Aguirre: The Wrath of God, 8 1/2, Boogie Nights, A Streetcar Named Desire, Raiders of the Lost Ark, The General, Pickpocket, Pulp Fiction, Amadeus, Lawrence of Arabia, Eraserhead, The Lady Vanishes, The Wild Bunch, A Clockwork Orange, Platoon, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Ikiru, Jules and Jim, The Asphalt Jungle, M, The Thin Red Line, Dial M for Murder

TannhauserGate
Nov 25, 2007

by garbage day

Atheistdeals.com posted:

At least it'll be off your list.

-The Great Dictator- I don't think I've ever seen a Chaplain film all the way through.
-Once Upon a Time in the West- Love Good/Bad/Ugly and so forth, didn't catch this one.
-Metropolis (the anime)- Adore the actual movie, haven't seen the ahneemu.
-Raging Bull- I usually don't jive with deNiro, for some reason.
-Inglourious Basterds- Missed it at box office, haven't caught it since.
-M- Metropolis is my #1 movie, all-time, haven't seen any other Lang.
-Goodfellas- Saw once years ago, but I don't remember it at all.
-Psycho(1960)- Have started and stopped a few times, need to give it a fair shake
-Sunset Blvd.- One of the classics I'm missing
-North by Northwest- I need to see all of Hitchcock's big works.

-Ikiru- 10/10
-Lawrence of Arabia- 9/10
-Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind- 8/10
-Vertigo- 8/10
-The Fountain- 6/10
-The Curious Case of Benjamin Button- 6/10
-One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest 6/10
-Heat- 6/10
-Serenity- 4/10
-Star Trek(2009)- 2/10

Current watch:
-Brazil- I really want to give Gilliam credit for this one. The sets are incredible, the aesthetic is amazing, the plot is brilliant. If this film had the attention of a really good editor for one day, and without making any really substantial changes, it would easily be in my top films of all time. As it stands, Gilliam's madness just doesn't let this one work for me. Scenes cut at at random times, the sound mix is a little too uneven (huge music and silent conversations), and the overall feel just didn't draw me in whatsoever. I might rate 12 Monkeys at an 8-9/10, and by that standard I'd give Brazil a 6/10. There's a great movie in there, it just didn't capture me.

Also saw:
-Heat- Just came off as a completely generic schlocky action movie to me. I'd rather see Predator or something.

TannhauserGate fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Apr 16, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

TannhauserGate, you get North By Northwest. Prepare for awesomeness.

I just finished Night of the Living Dead. I thought it was a little boring, but there was a lot I liked about it. The ending wasn't what I saw coming at all. I was impressed with the way the protagonists were gradually introduced. For 1968, I was really happy to see that Romero chose to make a black man the protagonist, leader, most heroic and resourceful character, and the one who survives the longest. (The film seems to me at least to be a metaphor for shedding old ways for new ideas, a very relevant idea for that time period.) The boring factor really drags it down for me, though.

On the other hand, Celine and Julie Go Boating is a movie that should be boring (as it weighs in at 3:05) but really isn't. Point of fact, I loved it. The film is really relaxing even early on, yet incredibly suspenseful as the dominant plot emerges in the last act. It's a very interesting commentary on the nature of being a film-goer.

I don't think it's a view a lot of people agree with, but I got out of the cyclical time motif that attempting to change fiction will always end in failure. I admit, though, that that fatalistic interpretation is incongruous with the film's relatively light-hearted first half.

In any case, I loved the two main leads. They had great chemistry and (I thought) a lot of sexual tension that made them play well off each other. The film's influence on Mulholland Drive and Desperately Seeking Susan is very noticeable. It's creepy when it wants to be to boot. For those who haven't seen it, this shot is even weirder in context...

The Hunt For Red October; The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford; Rashomon; Clash of the Titans; Tron; Enter the Dragon; The Karate Kid; Raging Bull; Cool Hand Luke; High and Low; Amores perros; City of God; Grand Slam; Robocop; The Maltese Falcon; Casablanca; Laura; Full Metal Jacket; Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid; Blue Velvet; Apocalypse Now; Tombstone; Natural Born Killers; Alien; Barton Fink; F for Fake; Boogie Nights; The Evil Dead; Annie Hall; Paris, Texas; Léon/The Professional; Amarcord; ; The 400 Blows; Do the Right Thing; Beauty and the Beast; Casino; American Graffiti; Death to Smoochy; Bram Stoker's Dracula; Serpico; Forbidden Planet; Au Revoir Les Enfants; Tremors; Vertigo; 12 Angry Men; Pierrot le Fou; Where Eagles Dare; Kagemusha; The Terminator; The Battleship Potemkin; The Bicycle Thief; The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert; The Constant Gardener; Walkabout; 3:10 to Yuma; What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?; Aliens; Rain Man; Xich Lo; Akira; Jules et Jim; Johnny Guitar; Rocky Horror Picture Show; The Thin Blue Line; The Thin Red Line; Blackmail; Slacker; The Cook, the Thief, his Wife, and her Lover; Terminator 2; Blazing Saddles; The Thin Man; Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!; Sideways; Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia; L'Avventura; Gone With the Wind; Blue; White; Red; Primer; Schindler's List; Network; Beverly Hills Cop; Sweet Sweetback's Baadassss Song; A Night at the Opera; Celine and Julie Go Boating; Night of the Living Dead

Carlito's Way: I've seen as many mob movies as any self-respecting 20-something American male, but not only have I not seen this one, but somehow I managed not to know anything about this movie except that it stars Pacino.
:zombie: Also, this is the only movie of my original ten still here. :zombie:
Caro Diario/Dear Diary: Randomly-picked movie from the "Before You Die" list. I almost left it off until I found it online.
Chinatown: Bob McKee's book Story spoiled the poo poo out of it, but I still feel like I should watch it anyway.
Fish Tank: (2009) I do not know a thing about this movie except that everyone who sees it apparently thinks really, really hard about it afterward.
Mishima: Pretty to look at, directed by the guy who wrote Taxi Driver, and insanely controversial in the country where it's set. Not a hard sell for me.
The Natural: I always hear the greatest things about Redford, but I haven't seen much stuff with him in it. Levinson's hit-or-miss with me.
Requiem for a Dream: So I hear this is a light-hearted stoner romp that goes down easy and lifts the spirits.
Strange Days: From the bits and pieces I caught on HBO when I was a teenager (I wasn't watching for the plot), I thought it was just some DTV schlock. Since then, I've heard it's a lot better than I gave it credit for. I do so love the cyberpunk.
Tampopo: Blind buy. "Japanese 'noodle Western' comedy" is easily weird enough to grab my interest.
Uzak: I've never seen a Turkish film.