Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Tolan posted:

So what should I be calling them out for? Idiotic exaggeration? If you feel you've been ripped off, I'm sure you know how to deal with it. Turning that into "[Onstad is a] lying scumbag thief who bilked people out of their money" is far more deserving of :goonsay:.

Your starting point seems to be "I must call goons out ITT". Why? Why should you call them out? Onstad vanished like a fart in the wind with people's money, and they're discussing it/venting their frustration. Like the rules say, if you have nothing to contribute then gently caress off.

edit; Also, Onstad's behavior makes him look like "a lying scumbag thief who bilked people out of their money." Simply putting that obvious observation into words isn't exactly the height of gooniness.

Happy Hippo fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Apr 11, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Nobody cares if you preordered a book that never came out. If you've got a problem with Onstad or lost money take it up with him, don't poo poo up this thread.

Achewood is a pretty popular strip so I'm going to leave this thread open for another little bit so people who want to actually discuss it can. If people don't want to discuss it the thread can be closed and shuffle off into the archives.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

[deleting this due to post above]

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

e: never mind

jfjnpxmy
Feb 23, 2011

by Lowtax

Waterhaul posted:

Nobody cares if you preordered a book that never came out. If you've got a problem with Onstad or lost money take it up with him, don't poo poo up this thread.

Nigga what?

How, exactly, is discussing the creator of Achewood and issues surrounding sending an Achewood themed item of merchandise to a bunch of Achewood fans not an Achewood-related topic? Is it not Achewoody enough for the Achewood club?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

jfjnpxmy posted:

Nigga what?

How, exactly, is discussing the creator of Achewood and issues surrounding sending an Achewood themed item of merchandise to a bunch of Achewood fans not an Achewood-related topic? Is it not Achewoody enough for the Achewood club?

Quoting this for posterity, you dummy.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

I suppose in an ideal world, people would quietly email Onstad, or hit up his twitter, and then post here the replies (if any) they got, to update the other fans about the results, without name calling or animosity whatsoever.

I'd like to continue to know what happens with the unresolved orders (again, IF there's such a thing, and it seems there is) if only because the very same thing, with a bit of bad timing, could have happened to me. As cool as it is for Americans to be able to shrug off $14 for an unfulfilled order or whatever (and the time to deal with a refund and all that), for some of us the parity dollar-local money is killer. $14 is kind of serious business money for me, for example. Also I wonder if the creator of Achewood, the comic we discuss here, is just frankly very bad at PR/managing a business, or hates everyone, specially his fans. It's honest wondering!

jfjnpxmy
Feb 23, 2011

by Lowtax

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Quoting this for posterity, you dummy.

jfjnpxmy fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Apr 11, 2011

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.
Achewood is dead. Long live Achewood.

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

Tantum via caeli per ferro incendioque est.
Zefiel, I see you don't have PMs. Can you do me a favor and contact me over AIM or email or something? My AIM name is my SA username, and my email is that @gmail.com.

platero
Sep 11, 2001

spooky, but polite, a-hole

Pillbug
I miss achewood :(

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

jfjnpxmy posted:

This strip always makes me feel awful. It's ludicrous and heart-breaking all at once.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
I read the wedding strip again and listened to Keane's "Somewhere only we know" and it was perfect.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

jfjnpxmy posted:

I love you.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

jfjnpxmy posted:

To just expand on this if the situation actually goes somewhere and people either find out how to get their money back or Onstad makes any follow up comments in regards to it feel free to post about it in the thread.

Just don't turn it into a spiral of people just bitching and name calling.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!
This was fun to watch:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2ZOSZZTIiE

Also, anyone bitching about pre-ordering something and having to wait a long time to get it better remember something. :colbert:

You'll get your drat book.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES
Previously I'd just read Cornelius' blog, the other characters' are equally fantastic, although I've not attempted Lyle or Nice Pete's yet. Interesting to see different takes on the same situation and it's still quite incredible how well he captures each character's voice.

Waterhaul posted:

To just expand on this if the situation actually goes somewhere and people either find out how to get their money back or Onstad makes any follow up comments in regards to it feel free to post about it in the thread.

On that note, the process for getting your cash back for visa is literally email Onstad, save and print copy of said email, wait 30 days for reply; if no reply contact card issuer and ask to file a visa dispute, money is returned. Believe there may be a 180 day time limit, but not 100% on that.

Wootcannon fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Apr 12, 2011

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Saddest thing about the comics end is we'll never found out how Ray will lose his ears or is Beef truly doomed to drive Molly off and die alone.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

Saddest thing about the comics end is we'll never found out how Ray will lose his ears or is Beef truly doomed to drive Molly off and die alone.

If you truly know achewood, these questions shouldn't need answers.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Ray will lose his ears and get new robotic ones.

Despite trying his hardest, Beef will die surrounded by the people who love him, and Pat.

Pat will continue being a jerk.

Phillipe will still be five.

Todd will do a bunch of cocaine, although not at Phillipe.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

Achewood Thread 12: It's (NOT) time for the fan-fiction

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Rereading Achewood because of this thread. Funny, I thought the Great fight was one of the first story arcs.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
For cartoon cats those British Fight Fans who blogged were written better than other media attempts at writing lower class Brits.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Toussaint Louverture posted:

Rereading Achewood because of this thread. Funny, I thought the Great fight was one of the first story arcs.

Nope, it got collected first because they were testing the waters and that arc was its own pretty much self-contained story.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
On the plus side, at least Onstad has plenty of hot new material about how fat his dog is. Too bad LieBot's Twitter never gets updated anymore.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
On the minus side, I will never own a complete run of Achewood, like I can for Bloom County or Calvin and Hobbes.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

That reminds me, has anybody actually heard anything stated about the future of the Dark Horse books? I would assume that they'd still be doing those, but has anything been said one way or the other?

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Waterhaul posted:

Just don't turn it into a spiral of people just bitching and name calling.

I disagree. Onstad is very blatantly committing mail fraud and I see no reason to gloss over it. The man is a crook.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Maybe a dumb question, but has anyone tried to just email Onstand and ask what's up?

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Maybe a dumb question, but has anyone tried to just email Onstand and ask what's up?

Yeah, he doesn't answer. Be sure to donate to the servers!

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Slashie posted:

Yeah, he doesn't answer. Be sure to donate to the servers!

There's no reason to be a bitch about it, though.

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

angerbot posted:

There's no reason to be a bitch about it, though.

Wait who's a bitch here, me or Onstad. I am confused.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Slashie posted:

Wait who's a bitch here, me or Onstad. I am confused.

We're all bitches, now...

H O TAFT
Dec 20, 2007
If you're just joining us, it's 4:47 in the A.M. and you're watching Perspectives.
Forget it, Jake. It's Bitchtown.

*wrrrrs away on Roomba floor vac*

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Dodgeball posted:

We're all bitches, now...

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

H O TAFT posted:

Forget it, Jake. It's Bitchtown.

We can't stop here. This is bitch country.

God, I miss Achewood, but there are wordy strips I skipped on my initial runs through the archive.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Why do I see shades of John Romeo in this comic?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Young Freud posted:

Why do I see shades of John Romeo in this comic?

SUCK IT DOWN
DESIGN IS LAW
MY HAIR IS BEAUTIFUL

I don't know who else it could be if not Romero.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

angerbot posted:

I disagree. Onstad is very blatantly committing mail fraud and I see no reason to gloss over it. The man is a crook.

On the other hand it's a pretty good cautionary tale about paying money over the internet for a product that doesn't actually exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

DocFrance posted:

On the other hand it's a pretty good cautionary tale about paying money over the internet for a product that doesn't actually exist.

Are you implying that the concept of preordering something is dumb?