Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Thank you! I was vaguely reminded about that book from the discussion of the Firemoth and Viper. I remember at the end of the book there was a big fight in a field that was on fire, a fight that included a Naga.

That brings me back to the thread, how quickly would ammunition cook off when a mech is standing in a fire?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
It's heat based, so it depends on how hot the 'Mech gets.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

PoptartsNinja posted:

An Artillery hit to an engine spot is bad news; if it puts the pilot into a position where he has to eject, he dies instantly.

Waitaminute, what? The ejection system would have to be literally simultaneous to the damage for that to make any sense.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

TildeATH posted:

Waitaminute, what? The ejection system would have to be literally simultaneous to the damage for that to make any sense.

No, see... the shockwaves space magic from an artillery hit to the engine causes your pilot to spontaneously combust and while simultaneously turning into a delicious, gooey pudding-like substance. Also, neural-feedback.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

PoptartsNinja posted:

No, see... the shockwaves space magic from an artillery hit to the engine causes your pilot to spontaneously combust and while simultaneously turning into a delicious, gooey pudding-like substance. Also, neural-feedback.

Oh, that's right. After reviewing my calculations, I noticed that I forgot to carry the space magic.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

TildeATH posted:

You will never make Battletech make sense. It will not happen, no matter how hard you try.

Just let the awesomeness of Giant Robot Combat wash over you, eroding your belief in things like "science." It helps.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Technically artillery ammo going off should deal X damage to the location its carried in and then Y damage to all adjacent locations. With the ammo being in the L and R torsos most of the time this means there's a pretty good chance of overspilling damage from the non-cased CT into the head and just wrecking it.

I don't know if the game actually works that way though.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Arquinsiel posted:

Technically artillery ammo going off should deal X damage to the location its carried in and then Y damage to all adjacent locations. With the ammo being in the L and R torsos most of the time this means there's a pretty good chance of overspilling damage from the non-cased CT into the head and just wrecking it.

I don't know if the game actually works that way though.

Damage doesn't transfer from the CT to the head. I think the pilot does die if the CT is destroyed and he doesn't eject however.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Longinus00 posted:

Damage doesn't transfer from the CT to the head. I think the pilot does die if the CT is destroyed and he doesn't eject however.
God-dammit, it looks like I need to sit down and read the new rules and stop assuming that poo poo wasn't changed unless someone told me so.

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010
I kind of love the custom and silly mechs being thrown around, so I thought I'd contribute! Here's one of my recent gimmicky mechs:

code:
Ezio EZO-2

Mass: 55 tons
Tech Base: Clan
Chassis Config: Biped
Rules Level: Tournament Legal
Era: Clan Invasion
Tech Rating/Era Availability: F/X-X-D
Production Year: 3070
Cost: 13,155,315 C-Bills
Battle Value: 2,469

Chassis: Unknown Endo-Steel
Power Plant: Unknown 330 Fusion XL Engine
Walking Speed: 64.8 km/h
Maximum Speed: 97.2 km/h (129.6 km/h)
Jump Jets: Unknown
    Jump Capacity: 150 meters
Armor: Unknown Ferro-Fibrous
Armament:
    1  ER Large Laser
    4  ER Medium Lasers
    2  ER Small Lasers
    2  Retractable Blades
Manufacturer: Unknown
    Primary Factory: Unknown
Communications System: Unknown
Targeting and Tracking System: Unknown

================================================================================
Equipment           Type                         Rating                   Mass  
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Internal Structure: Endo-Steel                    91 points                3.00
    Internal Locations: 1 HD, 1 LT, 1 RT, 1 LA, 1 RA, 1 LL, 1 RL
Engine:             XL Fusion Engine             330                      12.50
    Walking MP: 6
    Running MP: 9 (12)
    Jumping MP: 5 Standard
    Jump Jet Locations: 2 LT, 1 RT, 1 LL, 1 RL                             2.50
Heat Sinks:         Double Heat Sink             13(26)                    3.00
Gyro:               Standard                                               4.00
Cockpit:            Standard                                               3.00
    Actuators:      L: SH+UA+LA+H    R: SH+UA+LA+H
Armor:              Ferro-Fibrous                AV - 172                  9.00
    Armor Locations: 2 LT, 2 RT, 1 LA, 2 RA

Internal       Armor      
                                                      Structure      Factor     
                                                Head     3            9         
                                        Center Torso     18           26        
                                 Center Torso (rear)                  7         
                                           L/R Torso     13           19        
                                    L/R Torso (rear)                  7         
                                             L/R Arm     9            17        
                                             L/R Leg     13           22        

================================================================================
Equipment                                 Location    Heat    Critical    Mass  
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MASC                                         CT        -         2         2.00
ER Medium Laser                              RT        5         1         1.00
ER Small Laser                               RT        2         1         0.50
ER Medium Laser                              LT        5         1         1.00
ER Small Laser                               LT        2         1         0.50
ER Large Laser                               RA        12        1         4.00
Retractable Blade                            RA        -         4         3.50
Retractable Blade                            LA        -         4         3.50
2 ER Medium Lasers                           LA        10        2         2.00
                                            Free Critical Slots: 7

BattleForce Statistics
MV      S (+0)  M (+2)  L (+4)  E (+6)   Wt.   Ov   Armor:      6    Points: 25
8/3j       4       4       1       0      2     1   Structure:  3
Special Abilities: MEL, SAW, ENE, SRCH, ES, SOA
If you want to carry the theme out to it's logical extreme, you can build a 7/14/7 55-tonner with max efficient armor, an ECM module, MASC, and two retractable blades.

Edit: Holy crap, I just found talons under experimental tech! 30 damage for 7 tons and 2 crit slots, that's just broken.
Edit 2: Maybe SSW was bugging out or something, now I see talons as 17 damage for 4 tons and 2 crit slots. I'm not sure what I'm seeing.
Edit 3: Apparently talons scale by mech weight. 17 damage/4t for a 55 ton mech, 30dmg/7t for a 100t assault mech.

Rivensteel fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Apr 12, 2011

Usual Barb
Aug 27, 2005

pop it and lock it
Hooray retractable blades!
code:

Wolverine BUB

Mass: 55 tons
Tech Base: Inner Sphere
Rules Level: Experimental Tech
Era: All Eras (non-canon)
Tech Rating/Era Availability: E/X-X-E
Production Year: 0
Cost: 11,259,407 C-Bills
Battle Value: 1,409

Chassis: Unknown Standard
Power Plant: Unknown 275 Fusion XL Engine
Walking Speed: 54.0 km/h
Maximum Speed: 86.4 km/h (108.0 km/h)
    Jump Capacity: 150 meters
Armament:
    1  MML-9
    1  ER Medium Laser
    2  Medium Pulse Lasers
    2  Retractable Blades

Internal Structure: Standard                      91 points                5.50
Engine:             XL Fusion Engine             275                       8.00
    Walking MP: 5
    Running MP: 8 (10)
    Jumping MP: 5 Standard
    Jump Jet Locations: 1 CT, 2 LL, 2 RL                                   2.50
Heat Sinks:         Double Heat Sink             10(20)                    0.00
Gyro:               Standard                                               3.00
    Actuators:      L: SH+UA+LA+H    R: SH+UA+LA+H
Armor:              Ferro-Fibrous                AV - 179                 10.00
    Armor Locations: 4 LT, 2 RT, 4 LA, 4 RA

Internal       Armor      
                                                      Structure      Factor     
                                                Head     3            9         
                                        Center Torso     18           24        
                                 Center Torso (rear)                  8         
                                           L/R Torso     13           20        
                                    L/R Torso (rear)                  6         
                                             L/R Arm     9            18        
                                             L/R Leg     13           25        

ER Medium Laser                              CT        5         1         1.00
MML-9                                        RT        5         5         6.00
2 Medium Pulse Lasers                        LT        8         2         4.00
MASC                                         LT        -         3         3.00
Retractable Blade                            RA        -         4         3.50
Retractable Blade                            LA        -         4         3.50
@MML-9 (LRM) (13)                            RT        -         1         1.00
@MML-9 (SRM) (11)                            RT        -         1         1.00
                                            Free Critical Slots: 1

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

PoptartsNinja posted:

They'll understand when they tag a 'Mech carrying Arrow IV ammo. I've yet to see a 'Mechwarrior give an ammo explosion positive feedback. This whole situation is probably null. Signature weapon systems are almost always a joke, and the Naga is no exception to this case too.

I gotta say, the page of confused speculation after this egregious punfest was entertaining.

Arquinsiel posted:

God-dammit, it looks like I need to sit down and read the new rules and stop assuming that poo poo wasn't changed unless someone told me so.

The "death of the Mechwarrior upon ammo explosion destroying CT" thing is an artifact of the strange decision to remove ejection rules from Total Warfare (they're in TacOps). My groups have all sort of ignored the change and do auto-eject and standard ejection like the old days.

The Merry Marauder fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Apr 12, 2011

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

They'll understand when they tag a 'Mech carrying Arrow IV ammo. I've yet to see a 'Mechwarrior give an ammo explosion positive feedback. This whole situation is probably null. Signature weapon systems are almost always a joke, and the Naga is no exception to this case too.

That's a pretty significant pun storm you know. Highlighted all the Battletech puns I could find for those who aren't huge players of the boardgame.

(yes, CASE II is a Thing, it is a pretty awesome Thing). Speaking of CASE II though, what technically anachronistic stuff are we going to be seeing? The Lancelot 25-01 in the previous battle was definitely extinct in normal 3032, Air Defense Arrows didn't exist in the regular timeline until 3068...

If we end up playing as the ComGuard, I wonder if they'll have predecessors to the myomer implants/pain shunt combination that is so goddamn scary during the Jihad. Or C3i. One of those two is a nice game evener against the Clans.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

^^^You missed "TAG"

Also, who else here played Mechcommander? Goddamn was it a fantastic game, and I've been considering doing an LP of it over the summer.

vvvEdit: Rivensteel I bet you missed the rocket launcher discussion a few pages back. I know you can fit at least 500 damage worth of rockets on a chassis.

raverrn fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Apr 12, 2011

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010
Here's my attempt to deliver the absolute maximum amount of damage possible in a single round. Sadly, it would likely explode at the end of the round due to heat, if it were even capable of reaching its target. Within three hexes, it is able to put out 306 damage, with each arm delivering 60. It's max heat generation is 155 points a turn, with the ability to dissipate 20/turn.

code:
Huge and Punchy HNP-4

Mass: 100 tons
Tech Rating/Era Availability: F/X-X-D
Cost: 9,910,000 C-Bills
Battle Value: 1,797

Power Plant: Unknown 300 Fusion Engine
Walking Speed: 32.4 km/h
Maximum Speed: 54.0 km/h
Jump Jets: None
    Jump Capacity: 0 meters
Armor: Unknown Standard Armor
Armament:
    51  Heavy Small Lasers

Internal Structure: Standard                     152 points               10.00
Engine:             Fusion Engine                300                      19.00
    Walking MP: 3
    Running MP: 5
    Jumping MP: 0 
Heat Sinks:         Double Heat Sink             10(20)                    0.00
Gyro:               Standard                                               3.00
    Actuators:      L: SH+UA    R: SH+UA
Armor:              Standard Armor               AV - 307                 19.50

Internal       Armor      
                                                      Structure      Factor     
                                                Head     3            9         
                                        Center Torso     31           47        
                                 Center Torso (rear)                  15        
                                           L/R Torso     21           32        
                                    L/R Torso (rear)                  10        
                                             L/R Arm     17           34        
                                             L/R Leg     21           42        

Heavy Small Laser                            HD        3         1         0.50
2 Heavy Small Lasers                         CT        6         2         1.00
12 Heavy Small Lasers                        RT        36        12        6.00
12 Heavy Small Lasers                        LT        36        12        6.00
10 Heavy Small Lasers                        RA        30        10        5.00
10 Heavy Small Lasers                        LA        30        10        5.00
2 Heavy Small Lasers                         RL        6         2         1.00
2 Heavy Small Lasers                         LL        6         2         1.00
                                            Free Critical Slots: 0

BattleForce Statistics
MV      S (+0)  M (+2)  L (+4)  E (+6)   Wt.   Ov   Armor:     10    Points: 18
3          4       0       0       0      4     4   Structure:  8
Special Abilities: ENE, SRCH, ES, SOA
Edit: Yeah, you're right Raverrn, I completely missed that. And MJ12 has very thoroughly set met straight.

Rivensteel fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Apr 12, 2011

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Rivensteel posted:

crazy rear end laser boat
Yeah, alpha-striking in that thing would serve no purpose outside of melting anything nearby with ambient heat. Though I suppose it does have redundancy going for it. Hope the auto-eject works well.

Might be useful for Clan cookouts.

Also: someone should start up Megamek and see how well the Ezio works with just it's retractable blades.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

That's not even close to the maximum single-turn damage output possible. Try a potential 612 damage in a single round, with a 3/5 100-tonner using the iOS SRM-6. Since you're only going to get one shot off anyways, might as well use improved OS launchers to get that output.

If I was being more serious, I'd probably make a fast 60-tonner with a Booby Trap, one-shots only, and standard materials, call it the Solahamamobile, since the whole point is to get into a duel with an enemy mech and explode, dying with honor because you took out the other guy in the process. Sadly, SSW doesn't support the Booby Trap so I can't actually give you a readup of it.

code:
Firework 

Mass: 100 tons
Tech Rating/Era Availability: F/X-X-F
Cost: 14,288,000 C-Bills
Battle Value: 1,556

Power Plant: Unknown 300 Fusion Engine
Walking Speed: 32.25 km/h
Maximum Speed: 53.75 km/h
Armor: Unknown Standard Armor
Armament:
    51  SRM-6 (iOS)s

Internal Structure: Standard                     152 points               10.00
Engine:             Fusion Engine                300                      19.00
    Walking MP: 3
    Running MP: 5
Heat Sinks:         Double                       10(20)                    0.00
Gyro:               Standard Gyro                                          3.00
    Actuators:      L: SH+UA    R: SH+UA
Armor:              Standard Armor               AV - 224                 14.00

Internal       Armor      
                                                      Structure      Factor     
                                                Head     3            9         
                                        Center Torso     31           34        
                                 Center Torso (rear)                  9         
                                           L/R Torso     21           30        
                                    L/R Torso (rear)                  8         
                                             L/R Arm     17           21        
                                             L/R Leg     21           27        

SRM-6 (iOS)                                  HD        4         1         1.00
2 SRM-6 (iOS)s                               CT        8         2         2.00
12 SRM-6 (iOS)s                              RT        48        12       12.00
12 SRM-6 (iOS)s                              LT        48        12       12.00
10 SRM-6 (iOS)s                              RA        40        10       10.00
10 SRM-6 (iOS)s                              LA        40        10       10.00
2 SRM-6 (iOS)s                               RL        8         2         2.00
2 SRM-6 (iOS)s                               LL        8         2         2.00
                                            Free Critical Slots: 0

BattleForce Statistics
MV      S (+0)  M (+2)  L (+4)  E (+6)   Wt.   Ov   Armor:      7    Points: 16
3          0       0       0       0      4     0   Structure:  8
Special Abilities: SRCH, ES, SOA, SRM 4/4/0

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

raverrn posted:

Also, who else here played Mechcommander? Goddamn was it a fantastic game, and I've been considering doing an LP of it over the summer.

I don't think I played the first one, but I thoroughly enjoyed the second one. It suffered a bit from big guns = better guns, but that is often true in the video games.

Plus, I'm pretty sure you could steamroll most of the game by just slapping lasers and PPCs on everything, but at least you didn't get punished that badly for using "suboptimal" loadouts.

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010

MJ12 posted:

That's not even close to the maximum single-turn damage output possible. ...
code:
Firework 

BOOM

Wow, that's... Wow. It's quite a feat to even stuff that many launchers into a mech. Do you need ammo to fire, or does each launcher come loaded already? But you're absolutely right, I was looking for maximum damage per ton (and not using experimental tech), when it's really crit slots that are the limiting factor.

Rivensteel fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Apr 12, 2011

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Rivensteel posted:

Wow, that's... Wow. It's quite a feat to even stuff that many launchers into a mech. Do you need ammo to fire, or does each launcher come loaded already?

The improved One-Shot launchers are pre-loaded with one shot. You get one shot and that's it... as if it matters, when you've taken 204 heat from your salvo. The mech cockpit literally has two controls. A joystick for movement, and a big red button which is wired to all the SRM-6s and the ejection seat.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

I don't know, I've always had the most fun designing terrible, terrible 'mechs. Nothing so fun as slapping together two industrialmechs - MGs and SRM2's flying this way and that until someone eats a hatchet or backhoe. Kind of like those junkyard fighting shows.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

raverrn posted:

I don't know, I've always had the most fun designing terrible, terrible 'mechs. Nothing so fun as slapping together two industrialmechs - MGs and SRM2's flying this way and that until someone eats a hatchet or backhoe. Kind of like those junkyard fighting shows.

I was planning on doing something like that for the Solaris episode, actually. "Robot wars! Can the Walking Buzzsaw beat the Flipper? Can Icepick topple Death Spinnaz? Find out tonite in Selesia! Winner. Take. ALL!"

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

MJ12 posted:

The improved One-Shot launchers are pre-loaded with one shot. You get one shot and that's it... as if it matters, when you've taken 204 heat from your salvo. The mech cockpit literally has two controls. A joystick for movement, and a big red button which is wired to all the SRM-6s and the ejection seat.

You might want to give it a whole-head ejection, then.

PoptartsNinja posted:

I was planning on doing something like that for the Solaris episode, actually. "Robot wars! Can the Walking Buzzsaw beat the Flipper? Can Icepick topple Death Spinnaz? Find out tonite in Selesia! Winner. Take. ALL!"

Please, please, PLEASE have Duncan Fisher narrate the match between rounds!

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010

MJ12 posted:

Firework Prime manual, page 2:

While we appreciate our valued customers' desire to have as many features as possible, regretfully we had to remove some options, such as padded seats, life support systems, and ejectors. All these unnecessary features were preventing us from giving you absolutely the greatest possible rocket value for your C-bill.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

raverrn posted:

^^^You missed "TAG"

vvvEdit: Rivensteel I bet you missed the rocket launcher discussion a few pages back. I know you can fit at least 500 damage worth of rockets on a chassis.

I have the Gold edition and have played it extensively. X-Pulse Lasers are very good at bringing down mechs in a salvageable state, and are among my favorite weapons to stick on a mech. One of the others is the LB-X series autocannons. Same damage per shot as regular and Ultra ACs, but much more ammo.

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010

landcollector posted:

I have the Gold edition and have played it extensively. X-Pulse Lasers are very good at bringing down mechs in a salvageable state, and are among my favorite weapons to stick on a mech. One of the others is the LB-X series autocannons. Same damage per shot as regular and Ultra ACs, but much more ammo.

I just played a huge melee with the computer, something like 40k BV on each side. One drat Annihilator sprayed down my Night Gyr Prime for two pilot damage on my ace pilot, who had already taken three heads with his ERPPCs. This pilot went on to be knocked out at the end of the match by a lucky infantry LRM to the head...

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

raverrn posted:

When I designed the Popobawa for XTRO: Clan Homoerotic Panther, I made a rule for myself that I would use as few things that I knew the rules for as possible. It's like the Clan motto: "Keep it simple, keep it sexy, keep it PANTHER."

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

You know, for the Solaris episode, you should totally let fans contribute terrible industrialmech designs (or terrible mech designs in general) to the fray. Bonus points if they use Commercial Armor and ICEs, so you have the chance of random penetrating critical hits at any moment and engines actually going boom.

Like this one!

code:
Random IndustrialMech A 

Mass: 45 tons
Tech Base: Inner Sphere
Chassis Config: Biped IndustrialMech
Era: Succession Wars
Tech Rating/Era Availability: D/X-C-C
Production Year: 3025
Cost: 1,483,317 C-Bills
Battle Value: 406

Chassis: Unknown Industrial
Power Plant: Unknown 180 I.C.E. Engine
Walking Speed: 43.0 km/h
Maximum Speed: 64.5 km/h
Armor: Unknown Commercial
Armament:
    1  SRM-4
    1  Wrecking Ball
    4  Machine Guns

Internal Structure: Industrial                    75 points                9.00
Engine:             I.C.E. Engine                180                      14.00
    Walking MP: 4
    Running MP: 6
Heat Sinks:         Single                       1                         1.00
Gyro:               Standard Gyro                                          2.00
Cockpit:            Industrial                                             3.00
    Actuators:      L: SH+UA+LA    R: SH+UA+LA+H
Armor:              Commercial (BAR: 5)          AV - 153                  6.50

Internal       Armor      
                                                      Structure      Factor     
                                                Head     3            9         
                                        Center Torso     14           21        
                                 Center Torso (rear)                  7         
                                           L/R Torso     11           17        
                                    L/R Torso (rear)                  5         
                                             L/R Arm     7            14        
                                             L/R Leg     11           22        

SRM-4                                        RT        3         1         2.00
4 Machine Guns                               LT        0         4         2.00
Wrecking Ball                                LA        -         5         4.00
@SRM-4 (25)                                  RT        -         1         1.00
@MG (1/2) (100)                              LT        -         1         0.50
                                            Free Critical Slots: 36

BattleForce Statistics
MV      S (+0)  M (+2)  L (+4)  E (+6)   Wt.   Ov   Armor:      3    Points: 4
4          2       1       0       0      2     0   Structure:  4
Special Abilities: MEL, SRCH, EE

MJ12 fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Apr 12, 2011

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Rivensteel posted:

I just played a huge melee with the computer, something like 40k BV on each side. One drat Annihilator sprayed down my Night Gyr Prime for two pilot damage on my ace pilot, who had already taken three heads with his ERPPCs. This pilot went on to be knocked out at the end of the match by a lucky infantry LRM to the head...

Unfortunately, I was dumb and never bought Mechcommander 2 (I assume it is what you're referring to...or are you referring to Megamek?). I might try to hunt down a copy on ebay.

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010

landcollector posted:

Unfortunately, I was dumb and never bought Mechcommander 2 (I assume it is what you're referring to...or are you referring to Megamek?). I might try to hunt down a copy on ebay.

Megamek, sadly. I never owned a copy of Mechcommander.

Fun fact: On my beefy system, initial computer moves took about 5 minutes to calculate.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
because I am waiting for a new job to start, I was sperging out and making an armored unit with the unit editor, but it occured to me that I have no idea how artillery works.

Can anyone explain how the unguided munitions like a thumper works? They don't seem to interact with a TAG.. but there is a delay to shell arrival?

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010
My terrible submission to the medium weight class, also themed!

code:
Bird of Prey BOP-5

Mass: 35 tons
Tech Base: Mixed
Era: All Eras (non-canon)
Tech Rating/Era Availability: X/X-X-X
Production Year: 0
Cost: 12,025,220 C-Bills
Battle Value: 331

Construction Options: Fractional Accounting

Chassis: Unknown Endo-Composite
Power Plant: Unknown 315 Fusion XL Engine
Walking Speed: 97.2 km/h
Maximum Speed: 151.2 km/h (248.4 km/h)
    Jump Capacity: 270 meters (330 meters)
Armament:
    2  Clawss
    1  Talons

Internal Structure: Endo-Composite                58 points                2.625
    Internal Locations: 2 LA, 2 RA
Engine:             XL Engine                    315                      10.750
    Walking MP: 9
    Running MP: 14 (23)
    Jumping MP: 9 (11) Standard
    Jump Jet Locations: 4 LT, 5 RT                                         4.50
Heat Sinks:         (CL) Double Heat Sink        10(23)                    0.000
Gyro:               Standard                                               4.000
Cockpit:            Small                                                  2.000
    Actuators:      L: SH+UA+LA    R: SH+UA+LA
Armor:              Ferro-Fibrous                AV -   0                  0.000
    Armor Locations: 1 HD, 2 LT, 1 RT, 2 LA, 1 RA

Internal       Armor      
                                                      Structure      Factor     
                                                Head     3            0         
                                        Center Torso     11           0         
                                 Center Torso (rear)                  0         
                                           L/R Torso     8            0         
                                    L/R Torso (rear)                  0         
                                             L/R Arm     6            0         
                                             L/R Leg     8            0         

Supercharger                                 CT        -         1         1.075
MASC                                         RT        -         1         1.000
(CL) Partial Wing                            LT/RT     -         3/3       2.000
Claws                                        RA        -         3         2.334
Claws                                        LA        -         3         2.334
Talons                                       LL        -         2         2.332
                                            Free Critical Slots: 8

BattleForce Statistics
MV      S (+0)  M (+2)  L (+4)  E (+6)   Wt.   Ov   Armor:      0    Points: 3
14         0       0       0       0      1     0   Structure:  2
Special Abilities: MEL, ENE, SRCH, ES, SOA
Edit: New and improved!

Rivensteel fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Apr 12, 2011

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

You know I never understood why industrial mechs had machine guns and rocket launchers at all. They couldn't stand up to a decently equipped infantry platoon, much less a real combatant. So why give them weapons?

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

because I am waiting for a new job to start, I was sperging out and making an armored unit with the unit editor, but it occured to me that I have no idea how artillery works.

Can anyone explain how the unguided munitions like a thumper works? They don't seem to interact with a TAG.. but there is a delay to shell arrival?

Basically, yes. All artillery muntiions travel a certain amount of boards per turn, so if you fire at long range, you'll get a delay.

Artillery hits on the Shot From Above table in five point clusters normally AFAIK, so any artillery shell has a pretty good chance of doing head/etc damage. If they miss, they scatter somewhere else.

Blindfiring artillery is extremely hard to do accurately, so you'll want to have a spotting unit with good gunnery skills (that increases your chances of hitting accurately) and a very good artillery crew.

Arglebargle III posted:

You know I never understood why industrial mechs had machine guns and rocket launchers at all. They couldn't stand up to a decently equipped infantry platoon, much less a real combatant. So why give them weapons?

Armed IndustrialMechs are the equivalent of the technicals you'd see in a movie like Black Hawk Down. They're basically "We have no heavy vehicles, but we've got a tractor robot we can convert, and some spare SRMs and machine guns. Okay, guys, help me rip out the giant combine harvester bits and replace them with rockets and weld more metal plates to this thing."

They are also very, very cheap, so they're pretty fun in Solaris matches because you don't care if they get destroyed. The high end Solaris stables with their piles of custom-tooled experimental technology probably have the techs start crying if you so much as get a dent in them while piloting, but nobody cares if you blow up a half-dozen IndustrialMechs.

MJ12 fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Apr 12, 2011

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

It's pretty simple, really. You target a hex instead of a unit. The shot hitting is delayed by 1 turn per map sheet's distance you are from the target (within 1 sheet, hits this turn, 1 sheet away, hits next turn, etc). Unless you have an elite crew, you will basically miss every shot because of the huge penalty for indirect fire (+4, I think). Instead of outright missing, the shot will scatter a number of hexes equal to how much you missed your to-hit by. This can result in super-hilarious situations.

Basically, one artillery piece sucks. But four or five going at once can really gently caress up somebody's day by sheer luck and attrition.

DeepThrobble
Sep 18, 2006

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Please, please, PLEASE have Duncan Fisher narrate the match between rounds!
Since it's the 3030s I hope to see him in his fighting prime, the best medium Mechwarrior to ever fight his way into Valhalla!:v:

PoptartsNinja posted:

Star Adder - "Intriguing, let us do science at it!" - new weapon/equipment research
I'd say their gimmick is to revere the image of the professional soldier of the original SLDF, while failing badly at it because they're Clan. Even with the addition of the dumb rock bug guys they're pretty bland.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

PTN, please, please run a custom industrial Solaris match. 55 ton max, I.C.E. only. Hell what was that megamek IRC channel, again?

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

raverrn posted:

PTN, please, please run a custom industrial Solaris match. 55 ton max, I.C.E. only. Hell what was that megamek IRC channel, again?

I would suggest making it a free-for-all with a blind pool. People submit Industrialmechs for the pool, and everyone participating gets one randomly assigned or something. That'd probably be the most likely recipe for absolute hilarity since it means nobody has any idea of what they're going to be fighting and with what until they see their mech and go "good god, how the hell do I use this?"

(Does Megamek support most industrial weapons? I never tried doing that.)

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

raverrn posted:

#megamek on synirc

Also, as fun as it is to design custom retard mechs, we probably shouldn't poo poo up the thread with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

KnoxZone posted:

#megamek on synirc

Also, as fun as it is to design custom retard mechs, we probably shouldn't poo poo up the thread with them.

I still want to see someone build one with two heavy bridges and a pair of backhoe arms. :colbert:

edit: just discovered this is impossible

edit2: but it can be done with medium bridges. heavy bridges are pre-nerfed :(

LeschNyhan fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Apr 12, 2011

• Locked thread