Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I did end up buying that HTC Hero

YYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSS

And of course, rooted already. Huzzah!

Loaded maps, it found me within 6 meters, I touch-screened over to a local restaurant, clicked it, it brought up the info, I clicked the phone number, and it called it. I literally orgasmed.

This is the most :shobon: post I've read about a phone. I understand you've been through a rough relationship with your Mogul, but it's just loving :shobon: how you're all giddy about a phone that went EOL like a year ago and I'm happy for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Loaded maps, it found me within 6 meters, I touch-screened over to a local restaurant, clicked it, it brought up the info, I clicked the phone number, and it called it. I literally orgasmed.

Holy poo poo, I'm going to be jizzing all over myself when I upgrade to an EVO 3D from a goddamn Samsung Alias. What a pile of poo poo this phone is.

Anyone have any indication on how rootable the EVO 3D will be?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

That's gross.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

The Entire Universe posted:

This is the most :shobon: post I've read about a phone. I understand you've been through a rough relationship with your Mogul, but it's just loving :shobon: how you're all giddy about a phone that went EOL like a year ago and I'm happy for you.
I can scan barcodes

Bounty 12 packs are 17.99 at the local Target! Why do I know this!

fagalicious
Jan 15, 2004

WHAT FAG
I'm sure I know the answer to this, but if my sister wants to add her fiance to her sero premium plan is her only choice switching to the new referral family plans or is there a chance they might let her add a second sero premium plan to the account?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I can scan barcodes
Download (Google) Shopper and use it to take a picture of a book or DVD case or something.

Edit: Actually, download Google Goggles and use it to take a picture of a Sudoku puzzle.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Apr 10, 2011

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

fagalicious posted:

I'm sure I know the answer to this, but if my sister wants to add her fiance to her sero premium plan is her only choice switching to the new referral family plans or is there a chance they might let her add a second sero premium plan to the account?

I called some number last year and was able to clone my SERO account to my wife. I believe it was the employee number. I can't remember how many times I didn't have success before I finally got them to do it.

This was where I found out about it, and used what was listed on there to do it:
http://100.slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=931400

You might need to read the first page, and the later pages to figure out what works, if it still does work at all.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Aww maaaan, I dropped my old phone. Ugh!

Such a shame, such a shame :(

On a related topic, I'm 2-3 android market downloads away from being one of those douches who goes out to dinner with friends but spends the entire time playing with his phone instead of socializing. Yes!

fagalicious
Jan 15, 2004

WHAT FAG

uapyro posted:

I called some number last year and was able to clone my SERO account to my wife. I believe it was the employee number. I can't remember how many times I didn't have success before I finally got them to do it.

This was where I found out about it, and used what was listed on there to do it:
http://100.slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=931400

You might need to read the first page, and the later pages to figure out what works, if it still does work at all.

Thanks for the link, I googled but only found general sero threads. Hopefully this works.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Mahoning posted:

Apparently not, thats going to be sold separately. And to be honest I wasn't that impressed with it when I saw it in action. The fact that it connects via bluetooth worries me. I'd rather just carry a simple stylus (its about the size of a short pen, complete with a clip to clip it to a shirt or whatever else) that doesn't require that I recharge batteries.

Wait, are you talking about the HTC EVO View (Flyer)? I have never ever been excited about a gadget before, but the Flyer is exactly what I've been looking for in a PDA. I been pouring over every bit of news about it and this is the first I've heard of the Stylus being bluetooth and having batteries. Can you give me source on this? I'd like to read up on it.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

WTFBEES posted:

I need a phone I can use internationally for the next few months. Based on this page it doesn't look like I have a lot of choices. Any thoughts on which of these are best?

Also, I'm still on classic SERO. I know I'll have to upgrade to SERO Premium to use anything other than my poo poo Mogul, but is there anything else I need to do to be covered internationally?

Call 1-888-226-7212 and select option 2. Thats sprints international customer support. They specialize in international travel and will be able to give the best answers to any of your questions.

Giblet fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jun 12, 2012

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

On a related topic, I'm 2-3 android market downloads away from being one of those douches who goes out to dinner with friends but spends the entire time playing with his phone instead of socializing. Yes!
You know the Amazon Appstore has a free (paid) app every day right?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Wait, are you talking about the HTC EVO View (Flyer)? I have never ever been excited about a gadget before, but the Flyer is exactly what I've been looking for in a PDA. I been pouring over every bit of news about it and this is the first I've heard of the Stylus being bluetooth and having batteries. Can you give me source on this? I'd like to read up on it.

Check engadget's hands on video.

Edit: http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/15/a-closer-look-at-the-htc-flyers-screen-and-stylus-aka-htc-scri/

Engadget posted:

The Flyer has a capacitive touchscreen with what's been known as an active digitizer, although N-Trig's hesitant about using that term to describe its wares. Basically, like most convertible tablet PCs, the battery-powered (or "active") pen communicates with the screen and relays its pressure, positioning, etc. Naturally, that means that the Flyer uses a special N-Trig panel (it's actually the company's latest G 3.5 chipset) and stylus. Nope, it won't work with a regular pen or sharp object (not that you'd start sticking your brand new tablet with random pointy objects!)

All those logistics aside, the true beauty of a solution like this is how it blends the responsiveness of regular finger input with an extremely accurate inking one. You'd think the screen was your typical capacitive screen, until you put the stylus to it. Unlike capacitive styli, you don't have to press extremely hard or worry about totally missing your on-screen target. And not to worry, N-Trig says the AAAA battery-powered pen battery should last about a year and a half -- so you'll have a bit of time before you have to run out to the drugstore and pick up a new pack of Energizers.

Mahoning fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Apr 11, 2011

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Wow, today I learned there is a such thing as an AAAA battery, and that you can usually crack open a 9V battery and find them inside. I also learned that this tablet looks amazing.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

That's interesting. I'll read it over again, I was mainly wondering about the additional cost for the stylus. A preorder for the tablet just showed up somewhere at $980, for a SIM unlocked unit. I'm a little miffed at that, I was hoping it'd be a lot cheaper. Maybe the Wifi version won't be priced so high.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Jerk McJerkface posted:

That's interesting. I'll read it over again, I was mainly wondering about the additional cost for the stylus. A preorder for the tablet just showed up somewhere at $980, for a SIM unlocked unit. I'm a little miffed at that, I was hoping it'd be a lot cheaper. Maybe the Wifi version won't be priced so high.

Preorders often have a high price markup so the device doesn't accidentally get sold early.

metztli
Mar 19, 2006
Which lead to the obvious photoshop, making me suspect that their ad agencies or creative types must be aware of what goes on at SA
Asking again about Airave since it got lost in the shuffle - anyone able to tell me if:

1) It's still available (I have been told by Sprint sales people at my local, I think corporate, store it no longer is available, but some other people have said it is and just hard to get)

2) Is there any way to get them to comp it and the service since my home is one big dead zone?

3) If it isn't available is there any other option to make my phones connect at home without a problem?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

metztli posted:

Asking again about Airave since it got lost in the shuffle - anyone able to tell me if:

1) It's still available (I have been told by Sprint sales people at my local, I think corporate, store it no longer is available, but some other people have said it is and just hard to get)

2) Is there any way to get them to comp it and the service since my home is one big dead zone?

3) If it isn't available is there any other option to make my phones connect at home without a problem?

I thought this was in the OP but it isn't, I'll add it in. Call 877-775-4886 (retentions), tell them you have horrible home service and need help. 9 out of 10 times they will offer a free 3G Microcell (current model called the Airvana).

Requirements:
Available Line
No spending limit on your account(otherwise it will cost you)
3MB+ home internet speeds (cable is preferable)

There is no contract, although if you cancel Sprint you have to return it. And I do recommend avoiding using the "upgrade eligibility" on the Microcell line to get you a new phone, its a bit taboo for Sprint and risks opening a can of worms at some point.

metztli
Mar 19, 2006
Which lead to the obvious photoshop, making me suspect that their ad agencies or creative types must be aware of what goes on at SA

Duckman2008 posted:

I thought this was in the OP but it isn't, I'll add it in. Call 877-775-4886 (retentions), tell them you have horrible home service and need help. 9 out of 10 times they will offer a free 3G Microcell (current model called the Airvana).

Requirements:
Available Line

There is no contract, although if you cancel Sprint you have to return it. And I do recommend avoiding using the "upgrade eligibility" on the Microcell line to get you a new phone, its a bit taboo for Sprint and risks opening a can of worms at some point.

Wonderful, thanks - I'm making a call (from outside my home) now!

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
Sprint, you so crazy.

http://now.sprint.com/alltogethernow/ (WARNING: turn down your speakers before clicking!)

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

brc64 posted:

Sprint, you so crazy.

http://now.sprint.com/alltogethernow/ (WARNING: turn down your speakers before clicking!)

Yeah, if I were 100 (or any age, really), I'm not sure I'd want everyone and their mother knowing my e-mail address and phone number...

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Alman posted:

Yeah, if I were 100 (or any age, really), I'm not sure I'd want everyone and their mother knowing my e-mail address and phone number...

The real question is how many dick pics is she going to get today?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Alman posted:

I really doubt that is her real contact info.

metztli
Mar 19, 2006
Yay - just got hooked up with one of the Airave/Airvana deals for free. Thanks, Duckman!

jaku78
Mar 17, 2009
Is there any reason to get the Nexus S over the EVO 3D? I'm holding onto an old sammy moment that while it was a great phone, certainly isn't great anymore. I can't really decide. Oh, and am I making a great leap going from keypad to no keypad? I don't mind trying new stuff its just if I'm going to hate the drat typing experience on it I might just grab a shift right now instead.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

jaku78 posted:

Is there any reason to get the Nexus S over the EVO 3D? I'm holding onto an old sammy moment that while it was a great phone, certainly isn't great anymore. I can't really decide. Oh, and am I making a great leap going from keypad to no keypad? I don't mind trying new stuff its just if I'm going to hate the drat typing experience on it I might just grab a shift right now instead.

Depends.

If you care about rooting and custom ROMs, then the Nexus S might be the better choice...but we won't know until we can see if the EVO 3D has a locked bootloader or not.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

jaku78 posted:

I use to be the same way. That said once I went to a pure touchscreen I can't go back. The thin phone design wins over the keyboard to me. You just have to take the plunge and learn to like it (which you will). Trust me I have big hands so if I can learn to like a soft keyboard you can too.

Edit: Ozmodiar speaks my same feeling about the EVO 3D vs. the Nexus S. Also the Nexus S is freaking awesome to hold in your hand. Since the EVO 3D is pretty much the same size as the EVO 3D the Nexus S I prefer the size of the Nexus S over the EVO 3D. Also I am willing to bet it will have better battery life.

That said if the EVO 3D is rootable I am pretty sure I am going with it. Too much power.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Apr 12, 2011

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

nate fisher posted:

I use to be the same way. That said once I went to a pure touchscreen I can't go back. The thin phone design wins over the keyboard to me. You just have to take the plunge and learn to like it (which you will). Trust me I have big hands so if I can learn to like a soft keyboard you can too.

Almost everyone I know who had a Blackberry/Palm/etc. with a hardware keyboard swore they "had to have it!"...almost every single one of them, within 3 months, stopped using it almost completely.

There are only 2 reasons to get a phone with a hardware keyboard:

1. You do a lot of command line/remote access stuff.
2. You play a lot of games and don't like touchscreen controls.

nate fisher posted:

Edit: Ozmodiar speaks my same feeling about the EVO 3D vs. the Nexus S. Also the Nexus S is freaking awesome to hold in your hand. Since the EVO 3D is pretty much the same size as the EVO 3D the Nexus S I prefer the size of the Nexus S over the EVO 3D. Also I am willing to bet it will have better battery life.

That said if the EVO 3D is rootable I am pretty sure I am going with it. Too much power.

That's exactly how I feel. The SuperAMOLED screen might be the most gorgeous thing I've ever gazed upon (outside of a bad-rear end plasma...but that's not exactly "phone" technology...haha), and I really like the idea of having a Nexus phone, with direct support from Google, but the EVO 3D is one goddamn powerful phone.

I'm going to wait a month or two after it comes out to decide what I want to do. If it doesn't have a locked bootloader (or it gets cracked) I have little doubt that it'll be a widely supported device among the ROM community, so I'll likely get one too.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Ozmodiar posted:

Almost everyone I know who had a Blackberry/Palm/etc. with a hardware keyboard swore they "had to have it!"...almost every single one of them, within 3 months, stopped using it almost completely.

If there was an identical evo device, but with keyboard on Sprint I'd love to have it. Not the Evo shift with the smaller screen and slight differences, but an Evo with a keyboard added to it.

I always used it on my TP2, and even 9 months later, whenever I need to use my wife's phone to text, the keyboard came out without having to even think about it.

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

Say hello to the sunrise for me...
I am running CM7 on my Evo and I keep trying to brain storm a way to keep my apple bluetooth keyboard close so I don't have to use the on screen keyboard. I always keep my wiimote so I can use it with snes/genesis emulators as well.

I tolerate the no keyboard, I don't think I excel with it. However all that being said, I like that my phone is a single non moving unit.

jaku78
Mar 17, 2009
While I got a rooted samsung moment, I hardly use the features of the root besides the CPU clocking and small stuff like that I could live without I think. I might just go with the EVO 3D because of the power (and I want to play PSX games with no lag). Oh and I never knew that about the Wiimotes and that's just awesome because I happen to have one lying around.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

jaku78 posted:

While I got a rooted samsung moment, I hardly use the features of the root besides the CPU clocking and small stuff like that I could live without I think. I might just go with the EVO 3D because of the power (and I want to play PSX games with no lag). Oh and I never knew that about the Wiimotes and that's just awesome because I happen to have one lying around.

The Evo3D will have to be rooted to use the Wiimote unfortunately. HTC uses a gimped bluetooth driver for no good reason.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

atomicvocabulary posted:

I am running CM7 on my Evo and I keep trying to brain storm a way to keep my apple bluetooth keyboard close so I don't have to use the on screen keyboard. I always keep my wiimote so I can use it with snes/genesis emulators as well.

I tolerate the no keyboard, I don't think I excel with it. However all that being said, I like that my phone is a single non moving unit.

The new gingerbread keyboard does a great job for typing fast. It is a little scary how well it error corrects.

That said CM7 is amazing on the EVO. Seriously, if you are rooted and have not tried this yet, what are you waiting for?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

The new gingerbread keyboard does a great job for typing fast. It is a little scary how well it error corrects.

It is a rather good keyboard. When I put the CM7 alpha on my Epic (the quintessential Piece of poo poo Samsung Sin Machine) I stopped using Swype.

the aftermath
Jul 20, 2002

Things Fall Apart

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

That said CM7 is amazing on the EVO. Seriously, if you are rooted and have not tried this yet, what are you waiting for?
I'm currently using Fresh and getting a bit tired of the sporadic restarts.

2 questions: Are there any GPS issues with CM7? And would using the Rom Manager be the best way of installing CM7?

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

Say hello to the sunrise for me...

The Entire Universe posted:

It is a rather good keyboard. When I put the CM7 alpha on my Epic (the quintessential Piece of poo poo Samsung Sin Machine) I stopped using Swype.

I agree the keyboard on cm7 is way better than swype. I still make way more mistakes on it than a physical keyboard.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

the aftermath posted:

I'm currently using Fresh and getting a bit tired of the sporadic restarts.

2 questions: Are there any GPS issues with CM7? And would using the Rom Manager be the best way of installing CM7?

No more GPS issues with CM7,.although you.may need to change a sprint setting or two in your phone (I forget what setting it was). Once I did that it was fine.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
My only bitch about CM7 is it drops 3G a lot more than the Sense ROMs I used. Somebody said that Sense ROMs doesn't show 1X and that is why it seems I am dropping 3G a lot more. Well after testing streaming services on CM7 and a Warm Sense ROM, Warm can hold a 3G connection without dropping while CM7 keeps dropping. I have to turn off data on CM7 to get it to go back to 3G most of the times.

Just to be clear I am on the edge of 3G in the boonies at work and this is not a really a issue when in town. That said when I am driving and streaming in the middle of Knoxville I get a lot more drops on CM7 than I did on Warm.

helsabot
Apr 25, 2005
This is the worst vacation ever.

Duckman2008 posted:

Requirements:
Available Line

What exactly do you mean taboo? I'm just curious as to what would happen to the airave if you actually did order a phone on that line. And what happens if you call the number linked to the airave??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

nate fisher posted:

My only bitch about CM7 is it drops 3G a lot more than the Sense ROMs I used. Somebody said that Sense ROMs doesn't show 1X and that is why it seems I am dropping 3G a lot more. Well after testing streaming services on CM7 and a Warm Sense ROM, Warm can hold a 3G connection without dropping while CM7 keeps dropping. I have to turn off data on CM7 to get it to go back to 3G most of the times.

Just to be clear I am on the edge of 3G in the boonies at work and this is not a really a issue when in town. That said when I am driving and streaming in the middle of Knoxville I get a lot more drops on CM7 than I did on Warm.
You have to install some 3rd party software (or dig deep into some normally hidden menus) on a Sense ROM to see whether or not you're actually connected to EVDO. There flat out is no 1x icon on Sense ROMs. It will always report "3G" in the notification bar if you're connected to the wireless network. CM7, on the other hand, has separate icons for each, so it correctly reports your status.