Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

So are Star Wars books really not available as eBooks? Do publishers not want to make money?

Well, everything from the NJO onward is available, anything older is not, which means no X-Wing series, no Thrawn series, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

TheBigBad posted:

No, else Vader would not have scrambled fighters and personally launched against them.

Vader launched for fun, not because he thought they were a threat. He liked killing things on a more personal scale than Tarkin; it was all for sport. That also explains why he only launched with a few wingmen instead of all (however many hundred) fighters the Death Star carried.

Ninja_Orca
Nov 12, 2010

by hoodrow trillson

Kylaer posted:

Vader launched for fun, not because he thought they were a threat. He liked killing things on a more personal scale than Tarkin; it was all for sport. That also explains why he only launched with a few wingmen instead of all (however many hundred) fighters the Death Star carried.

Nah, Vader knew something was up. He kind of looks to the side and says "Several fighters have broken off from the main group," before he grabs a couple of wingmen. And there were other TIEs running around out there anyway. That, to me, means he had this intuition through the Force that the Rebels were trying something. He could see they were pulling away and trying at something, and figured it would be prudent to stop them.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Black_Squadron

No, the only squadron to launch during the Battle of Yavin was the one under Vader's direct command. He detected a threat and took his personal squadron out, while Tarkin and everyone else refused to launch any more fighters.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Suenteus Po posted:

Isn't Yavin a pure gas giant? Maybe the superlaser needs to hit rocks to make a planet blow up.

The energy required to dissociate a gravitationally bound object scales as the mass squared over the radius. Jupiter, for instance, would take about 1300 times more energy to blow up than the earth. It's probably a safe bet that the Death Star simply didn't have the capability to blow up Yavin.

:goonsay:

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..

Saw this in the book store today. That is without a doubt the most offensive villain Ive seen in star wars. Just straight up take vaders helmet off and armour him up a bit. What the gently caress Bioware? I thought you were supposed to have Kotor to make up new characters and such.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Throb Robinson posted:

Saw this in the book store today. That is without a doubt the most offensive villain Ive seen in star wars. Just straight up take vaders helmet off and armour him up a bit. What the gently caress Bioware? I thought you were supposed to have Kotor to make up new characters and such.

Almost everything in The Old Republic is nearly identical to movie designs.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..
WELL I WASN'T AWARE OF THIS.

Now I have nothing to be mad about I guess.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

No, you should be, because it really is loving stupid. I mean, I get that the point is to draw in people who just assume it's set during the movie era and with movie characters, but they should just be upfront about putting money ahead of creativity. It has Star Wars in the title and it's being made by BioWare, it would make a ton of money anyway.

I mean, even though it's set three thousand years beforehand, it has stuff like Imperial Stormtroopers, Moffs and Grand Moffs, star destroyers identical to movie-era designs. I guess the explanation now is that when Palpatine came to power he deliberately copied everything from the Sith of this era but that's not exactly stellar writing.

Chairman Capone fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Apr 12, 2011

omgLerkHat!
Dec 7, 2003

Chairman Capone posted:

No, you should be, because it really is loving stupid. I mean, I get that the point is to draw in people who just assume it's set during the movie era and with movie characters, but they should just be upfront about putting money ahead of creativity. It has Star Wars in the title and it's being made by BioWare, it would make a ton of money anyway.

I mean, even though it's set three thousand years beforehand, it has stuff like Imperial Stormtroopers, Moffs and Grand Moffs, star destroyers identical to movie-era designs. I guess the explanation now is that when Palpatine came to power he deliberately copied everything from the Sith of this era but that's not exactly stellar writing.

The idea that someone would copy 3,000 year old designs down to the minute details with perfect accuracy and have them be competitive with contemporary designs is so mindbogglingly stupid that it makes me angry just thinking about it. :argh:

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

omgLerkHat! posted:

The idea that someone would copy 3,000 year old designs down to the minute details with perfect accuracy and have them be competitive with contemporary designs is so mindbogglingly stupid that it makes me angry just thinking about it. :argh:

Personally, if the game is fun, I don't give a gently caress. I understand that this is a franchise job, and all that entails. Just as I understand that, when making something as big as an MMO, some of Bioware's corners will have to be cut. The bigger the game, the less room in the budget for innovation.

And the greater need to get tons of players quick. This was most likely a marketing decision, and it probably wasn't Bioware that made it.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Captain von Trapp posted:

The energy required to dissociate a gravitationally bound object scales as the mass squared over the radius. Jupiter, for instance, would take about 1300 times more energy to blow up than the earth. It's probably a safe bet that the Death Star simply didn't have the capability to blow up Yavin.

But Alderaan's bits flew away a LOT faster than escape velocity. If you time the explosion frame-by-frame, you can see it actually blew up at a few percent of the speed of light. This means that the blast was about a million times more powerful than it needed to be just to dissociate the planet -- do math and you get 10^38 joules or so as a good lower limit for the superlaser. (For real-life scale, that's about the total amount of energy the Sun emits in eight thousand years or so.) I think a gas giant would be no trouble for a Death Star.

And I'm happy to say I wasn't the one who sat down and figured all this out: http://www.stardestroyer.net/Empire/Tech/Beam/Alderaan.html

:toot:

Azzmo
Jul 2, 2007
STUPID MINORITIES ALWAYS MAKING ME FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE TO BE A WHITE MALE

Chaos Hippy posted:

Personally, if the game is fun, I don't give a gently caress. I understand that this is a franchise job, and all that entails. Just as I understand that, when making something as big as an MMO, some of Bioware's corners will have to be cut. The bigger the game, the less room in the budget for innovation.

And the greater need to get tons of players quick. This was most likely a marketing decision, and it probably wasn't Bioware that made it.

Now I don't have anything original to say about it. But that's exactly it, I think. I was getting really worked up about the trailers 6 months ago but I decided that this game is only Star Wars inasmuch as it uses the franchise's iconic imagery. It has absolutely 0 canonicity and, when approached as such, it looks pretty great. We basically get to pretend we're in Empire Strikes Back era Star Wars with a different storyline.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zr04FBKPS9E

Check out the Chewie one too, it's great.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Blame LA's Marketeering divisions for why the KOTOR MMO just looks like a slightly earlier OT.

Don't start hating on Bioware and the game pointlessly until you play it though. Could be fun.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Powered Descent posted:

But Alderaan's bits flew away a LOT faster than escape velocity. If you time the explosion frame-by-frame, you can see it actually blew up at a few percent of the speed of light. This means that the blast was about a million times more powerful than it needed to be just to dissociate the planet -- do math and you get 10^38 joules or so as a good lower limit for the superlaser. (For real-life scale, that's about the total amount of energy the Sun emits in eight thousand years or so.) I think a gas giant would be no trouble for a Death Star.

And I'm happy to say I wasn't the one who sat down and figured all this out: http://www.stardestroyer.net/Empire/Tech/Beam/Alderaan.html

:toot:

I love the unspoken assumption in SSD.net's minute dissection of every little thing. Apparently, the reason things happen the way they're shown on screen is because they wanted to portray 10^38 Joules of energy used on a planet, and no other reason is even entertained.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Admiral Goodenough posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zr04FBKPS9E

Check out the Chewie one too, it's great.

Trooper one was the best. Don't bother watching the Vader one, it was pretty awful.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

http://vimeo.com/14815990

This needs to be posted again just cause its so good.

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.
Maybe this is another step towards real lightsabers, TIE fighters, and star destroyers.

http://atatforamerica.tumblr.com/

I'm holding out for my own Death Star. :colbert:

NeonTurtle
Sep 24, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT SUPPORTING GENOCIDE

Sith Happens posted:

Maybe this is another step towards real lightsabers, TIE fighters, and star destroyers.

http://atatforamerica.tumblr.com/

I'm holding out for my own Death Star. :colbert:

It sounded okay until they started begging the 501st to show up.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

NeonTurtle posted:

It sounded okay until they started begging the 501st to show up.

You know they do their stuff for charity right?

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=10221-1
Cross-posting this from the Lego thread. About drat time they made a ssd.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

VaultAggie posted:

http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=10221-1
Cross-posting this from the Lego thread. About drat time they made a ssd.

That smaller star destroyer next to it better be the correct length ratio!

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

theforce.net message boards never fail to bore me, except when the "Literature" people get drawn into real world political stuff, like a discussion of race in Star Wars. I'm sure, given the average level of maturity for Star Wars fans (who post on TFN, no less) this will go well. Especially when the people with dueling sig lines come out to play.

Rogue77 posted:

Recipient of the Confederation Ewok with "Rebel Yub"® Action!!
Against racism, against apartheid, against Israel.

Kuag posted:

"I don't care what you smell! Get in there!"-Han Solo
God Bless America. God Bless Israel.
It's time to rip Star Wars away from Lucas before he destroys everything we love.

Hmmm... I smell a winner with this "Kuag" fellow.

Kuag posted:

I'm voicing opposition to the furor over what's right there in front of us by using hypothetical situations. Big difference. That stated, if your personal qualm with this has to do with continuity as opposed to an actual anger over lack of "diversity," then I have no problem with your objections and would be more likely, in fact, to support them. TCW has done great harm to Star Wars continuity--so much so that in my opinion it would be better had the show never been created.

That aside, one of my pet peeves is multiculturalism. As it pertains to our society and our outlook on the world, the ism is a massive menace, which masks an extreme anti-Western prejudice under the guise of "diversity" and "tolerance." I am a multicultural person, in that I have experience living and interacting in another culture for long periods of time. Thus I appreciate and understand the value of other cultures. However, contrary to the politically-correct gobbledygook force fed to our students, this multicultural experience only strengthened my disdain of multiculturalism.

And that is the undertone of what I've been sensing in this thread--that somehow a classroom full of white children is morally and socially unacceptable. People with that particular train of thought need to have their head examined.

Yep.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Theforce.net sigs are embarrassingly sad. These are all from one thread and almost the same page.

-----signature-----
Winner of two 2010 JCCer Razzie Awards:
Least Improved Poster and Worst Thread
Lamentations 3:24~ The Lord is my portion sayeth my soul
therefore shall I hope in Him

-----signature-----
Lightside Jedi Master
Is gaire cabhair Dé ná an doras. God's help is nearer than the door.
Sarcasm - Just another quality service I provide.
grin

-----signature-----
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
Any sufficiently advanced extraterrestrial intelligence is indistinguishable from God.
I'm a sexy shoeless GOD OF WAR!
Current crush: http://tron.wikia.com/wiki/Quorra

-----signature-----
Rms 3:23 For all have sinned, and fall short of the glory of God.
Rms 5:8 But God demonstrates His love toward us, in that, while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Rms 6:23 For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal Life.

-----signature-----
Luke *whines*: "I wanna become a Jedi like my father before me!"
Obi-wan: "Over my dead ...! Nevermind ..."
Sev Wars: A Tribute to Alec Guinness
"Thou shallst not bear false witness to thy neighbor! -- Except from a certain point of view!"
tongue

-----signature-----
God Bless America
Go Blue!
I am not ashamed of the Gospel (see Romans 1:16-17)

--

I'm so glad people don't use sigs on SA. Although I turned them off years ago so I don't really know their current status.

Mister Roboto fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Apr 14, 2011

dogflaps
Apr 17, 2008
Do any of you guys think the Star Wars movies have actually changed your life/changed you as a person?

I study Film + TV Production at University, and now I'm in my final year I've got some experience working in the real world of production and I'm having a blast. I graduate in about a month, and I've got some jobs as a camera assistant etc lined up for when I leave.

I can honestly say that I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for seeing Star Wars when I was a kid. Ever since then, I've always wanted to be a part of the film making process, to give someone else that same thrill I had when I was young.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Mooktastical posted:

I love the unspoken assumption in SSD.net's minute dissection of every little thing. Apparently, the reason things happen the way they're shown on screen is because they wanted to portray 10^38 Joules of energy used on a planet, and no other reason is even entertained.

Well if you start with the assumption that the movies are "the ultimate canon" or whatever, then drawing conclusions based entirely on what you see on screen should be valid, right?

Granted its :spergin: as gently caress but so is most of this thread, so who cares?

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

yronic heroism posted:

theforce.net message boards never fail to bore me, except when the "Literature" people get drawn into real world political stuff, like a discussion of race in Star Wars. I'm sure, given the average level of maturity for Star Wars fans (who post on TFN, no less) this will go well. Especially when the people with dueling sig lines come out to play.

Hmmm... I smell a winner with this "Kuag" fellow.

Yep.
I seriously love arguing on the internet so much.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Torael_7 posted:

Well if you start with the assumption that the movies are "the ultimate canon" or whatever, then drawing conclusions based entirely on what you see on screen should be valid, right?

Not necessarily. Take the destruction of Alderaan for example. They probably just built a planet out of whatever was laying around, then blew it up. To actually measure the speed at which the pieces flew away assumes gently caress loads, without any reason to do so. In that link, Wong even admits that he has no clue what would produce the fire ring that was added in the special edition. Reason being that there was no logical in-universe reason for it to be there, it just looked cool. Welcome to Star Wars, a movie that was intended to be a schlocky rip-off of Buck Rogers, but made poo poo tons more money than anyone expected it to, and wasn't taken seriously by most of the people making it, including the leads.

Torael_7 posted:

Granted its :spergin: as gently caress but so is most of this thread, so who cares?

What annoys me about the method of SSD.net is that it's so far removed from any semblance of coherent thought that it's pretty insulting to read.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Wookiepedia posted:

Ultimately, however, the Redemption was one of several ships obliterated by the second Death Star's powerful superlaser.
Best Star Wars triva I've read in a while.

NeonTurtle
Sep 24, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT SUPPORTING GENOCIDE
How loving special do you have to be to actually think this is a good idea?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Not even basic dignity can hold me.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Shouldn't it be "Not even the Sarlacc can hold me twice"?

Also Jesus Christ!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I bet you the guys who go for these super geeky tattoos lie to themselves thinking we'll have super awesome skin regenerating lasers when they hit 30 or 40.

I don't think it works that way however and these dudes will have stretched out Boba Fetts and Darth Mauls on their bodies into their mid sixties.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
Are there any example of good Star Wars-related tattoos?

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

A simple Rebel or Imperial logo would be tastefully geeky, but I can't think of much else.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Pops Mgee posted:

Why is there a random ankh in the middle?

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Why is there a random ankh in the middle?

The United States is life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I discovered this take on the Imperial March while wasting time on TvTropes. It is...glorious.