Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Tewratomeh posted:

Just so you know, the only dialog options that really use your vampiric powers are the ones in red or... whatever color Dominate is. Everything else is just from your skills in persuasion, intimidation, seduction or whatever. Unless you're using Dementation or Dominate, there's a chance your dialogue option could fail.

The colors I can remember offhand:

Green - Intimidate
Pink - Seduce
Red - Dementation
Blue - Persuade
? - Dominate

This is briefly mentioned at the very beginning of the game if you do Jack's tutorial, but it's easy to miss even then.

Dominate is red like Dementation. The difference is that Dementation uses an off-kilter font with crowded letters, whereas Dominate is ALL CAPS TIMES NEW ROMAN or some equally sharp font.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU
Here's a tip for players old and new: go talk to old characters every once in a while, about once every time a new main plot thread opens up or so.

I didn't realize until my second or third playthrough that the developers recorded a bunch of extra dialogue for characters you wouldn't necessarily have a reason to revisit. Off the top of my head... Bertram, Knox, Nines, Jack, Strauss, Therese/Jeanette, VV, Isaac, Skelter, Damsel, and Mercurio all have dialogue that isn't part of an in-game quest, and that you probably would miss unless you visited them at a very specific point in the game. The Anarchs in particular have some really long dialogue chains that get wiped once you progress further in the main storyline.

Don't get all OCD about it or anything, but if you find yourself returning to Santa Monica or Downtown for guns and blood, go visit a few old friends first.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Fuzz posted:

Dominate is red like Dementation. The difference is that Dementation uses an off-kilter font with crowded letters, whereas Dominate is ALL CAPS TIMES NEW ROMAN or some equally sharp font.

Both Dementation and Dominate are also the only dialogue options you should ever pick whenever they show up. Being able to make someone think they're a turtle or forcing them to just give you everything you need for a fetch quest is worth missing out on the harder path, because it's just so cool.

Why would you be a vampire and not want to abuse your spooky mind powers?

McGuirk
Jan 28, 2010

I'll take you out, buddy!

Pope Guilty posted:

I don't get it, are you opposed to vampires using the power to cloud the minds of men or are you opposed to dialogue trees being easy to navigate and use?

The clouding the mind is great, I just thought the dialog trees didn't really take any skills to navigate, it's nit-picky as gently caress so you can safely ignore me.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Tewratomeh posted:

Both Dementation and Dominate are also the only dialogue options you should ever pick whenever they show up. Being able to make someone think they're a turtle or forcing them to just give you everything you need for a fetch quest is worth missing out on the harder path, because it's just so cool.

Why would you be a vampire and not want to abuse your spooky mind powers?

Thing to keep in mind is that the number of red dots next to a red dialogue option is the number of blood points you will burn to use that power. Can be pretty hilarious when you dominate someone with very little blood and end up frenzying, breaking the conversation, and promptly ripping their throat out to satisfy YOUR HUNGER.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

CaptainPsyko posted:

So, is the Camarilla Mod supposed to uglify the UI?

If so, or, for that matter, if not, how do I make it not look like this:

Quoting this in hopes of an answer.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

CaptainPsyko posted:

Quoting this in hopes of an answer.

I had to reinstall to get rid of that, and it's not Camarilla, I think it's the Music mod UI as far as I can tell.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Mr E posted:

I had to reinstall to get rid of that, and it's not Camarilla, I think it's the Music mod UI as far as I can tell.

Yep! Thanks, Also, looking up some poo poo when I was reinstalling led me to this page, which, among other things, has links to screenshots of all the optional reskins that the clan quest mod offers to install, as opposed to the just some of them in the OP. Handy!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

CaptainPsyko posted:

Yep! Thanks, Also, looking up some poo poo when I was reinstalling led me to this page, which, among other things, has links to screenshots of all the optional reskins that the clan quest mod offers to install, as opposed to the just some of them in the OP. Handy!

Added to the OP, and now that I'm officially done with medical school (booyeah!) I can actually finish that second post up. Basically just gonna outline a list of where/how to get the Clan quest for each clan, as well as a few other choice hints, and a cheater's guide to playing through all the new quests in a single playthrough, if you're too much of a wuss to do them one at a time.

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet

Fuzz posted:

Added to the OP, and now that I'm officially done with medical school (booyeah!) I can actually finish that second post up. Basically just gonna outline a list of where/how to get the Clan quest for each clan, as well as a few other choice hints, and a cheater's guide to playing through all the new quests in a single playthrough, if you're too much of a wuss to do them one at a time.

While I notice you are online could I ask you about this from prev page, its bugging me.

Graviton v2 posted:

3) How do I kill the record executive in the confessions club as the 3rd mob hit quest, I cant work that one out and dont want to flick though walkthoughs and spoil things.

:)

e: and thank you for drawing my attention to this computer game fun, best for ages

Graviton v2 fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Apr 12, 2011

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Graviton v2 posted:

While I notice you are online could I ask you about this from prev page, its bugging me.

:)

e: and thank you for drawing my attention to this computer game fun, best for ages

I dunno, I always side with Venus since you get way more money out of it. :haw:

I would assume you get her up to her office and take her out there. The club isn't Elysium, so you can really kill her however or whenever you want, that just seems like the quietest way to do it.

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet

Fuzz posted:

I dunno, I always side with Venus since you get way more money out of it. :haw:

I would assume you get her up to her office and take her out there. The club isn't Elysium, so you can really kill her however or whenever you want, that just seems like the quietest way to do it.
No its in downtown, im with Venus now, its like the 4th quest in the mob hit ones in downtown. First is cant remember, 2nd is steal the suitcase from under the nose of the gang meeting, 3rd is kill the guy in parking lot, 4th is kill guy in confessions, i can kill him obviously being a double hard vampire ninja and all but how the gently caress do I do secretly? He has 3 bodyguards and everyone is dancing in my club.

I did get him to move by jumping on him from the balcony but I suspect I havent done this right :S

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Graviton v2 posted:

No its in downtown, im with Venus now, its like the 4th quest in the mob hit ones in downtown. First is cant remember, 2nd is steal the suitcase from under the nose of the gang meeting, 3rd is kill the guy in parking lot, 4th is kill guy in confessions, i can kill him obviously being a double hard vampire ninja and all but how the gently caress do I do secretly? He has 3 bodyguards and everyone is dancing in my club.

I did get him to move by jumping on him from the balcony but I suspect I havent done this right :S

Oh, you're talking about a completely different quest. Get better at asking. :smugbert:

When I did that one as a Ventrue, I just dominated the guy to go play out on the interstate, hehe. He ran outside and that was that. I guess you could try sniping him from a catwalk in one shot, or using a single target kill power.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
To get the record exec find a drink on a table and spike it.

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet
Thanks chaps.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Heh, in Santa Monica, the hospital, Malcolms computer. Diagnosis for d. marsh: Frequent bouts of sexlexia.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Skellen posted:

Heh, in Santa Monica, the hospital, Malcolms computer. Diagnosis for d. marsh: Frequent bouts of sexlexia.

Almost all of the e-mail and extra data in the game is like this. A good deal of the stuff you're actually supposed to be looking for is also like this.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Skellen posted:

The really crafty vampire will read all the e-mails for Malcom, then (spoilered in case folks want to find out about this for themself) confront him in the room he's in (he's the only doctor on duty) about his extramarital affairs, and blackmail him for $75 or for $150 with the right skill check.

Not too shabby for something you can do about five minutes out of the tutorial, eh? Actually, I'm pretty sure the LP linked earlier did just that. At least I think it did; I may be getting confused with my own playthroughs - I do it every time I play through now since I found out about it.

It's honestly amazing how many places you can get extra money from random NPCs with the right dialog choices. The old lady in the diner, from the dude standing outside your Santa Monica haven, even from LaCroix of all people.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

SourceElement posted:

It's honestly amazing how many places you can get extra money from random NPCs with the right dialog choices. The old lady in the diner, from the dude standing outside your Santa Monica haven, even from LaCroix of all people.
The old lady in the diner is best. Especially as Nosferatu.

:drac: - Sup?

:stare: - WHAT THE FUUUUUUCK?!? *dies of heart attack*

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet

pigdog posted:

The old lady in the diner is best. Especially as Nosferatu.

:drac: - Sup?

:stare: - WHAT THE FUUUUUUCK?!? *dies of heart attack*
Hehe, in my current playthrough (first game) I convinced her I was from the food standards authority and bilked her out of 50 bux.

Im looking forward to redoing the game as the nutter class.

McGuirk
Jan 28, 2010

So the chick in the old hospital eating people, is it safe to shotgun her face off or is there some cool mission arc I will miss out on if I do?

I have my guns, celerity, and perception traits at 4 each and combat is now basically boiled down to point shotgun ---> dead.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
Yes, she gives a couple of cool missions with good rewards. Leave her be, she's pretty cool.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

McGuirk posted:

So the chick in the old hospital eating people, is it safe to shotgun her face off or is there some cool mission arc I will miss out on if I do?

I have my guns, celerity, and perception traits at 4 each and combat is now basically boiled down to point shotgun ---> dead.

She gives you one of the more useful items in the game if you do her mission.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Is there something I'm missing to Thaumaturgy? Everyone says how awesome Tremere are, but so far every boss or tough enemy I've fought, I do more damage running up and punching them than I do plinking them with blood strike. It works well enough to take out minions, but I can make them just fall over dead anyway.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Its all about AoE perma stuns and blood armor. I think blood strike is considered weak poo poo by most.

Game is pretty easy anyways so you might not need them, but those two spells make it impossible to die almost.

Chinaman7000 fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Apr 14, 2011

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Is there something I'm missing to Thaumaturgy? Everyone says how awesome Tremere are, but so far every boss or tough enemy I've fought, I do more damage running up and punching them than I do plinking them with blood strike. It works well enough to take out minions, but I can make them just fall over dead anyway.

The 3rd level Thaumaturgy spell is an AE stun that does damage.

It works on most bosses.

Hit that, beat the poo poo out of them until it fades, rinse, and repeat.

Use Blood shield to absorb/ignore most damage, and you have a very overpowered discipline.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
Im just starting a toreador due to this threads reccomendations of Celerity and so far it seems pretty cool though my lack of combat skills atm does make its effects lackluster.

Also i only just noticed the patch has added histories which is pretty awesome and they're all pretty well written and im noticing other little content additions that i dont remember from previous runs.

I especially like Glass eye, bonus to intimidation but cant get high perception.

Forums Medic
Oct 2, 2010

i be out there in orbit

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I'm pretty sure you have to hotkey the later Thaumaturgy skills to a number, for some reason the good ones won't show up if you use the scroll wheel to choose them. You are probably using the same lovely one you put 3 skill points in.

McGuirk
Jan 28, 2010

LordLeckie posted:

Im just starting a toreador due to this threads reccomendations of Celerity and so far it seems pretty cool though my lack of combat skills atm does make its effects lackluster.

Also i only just noticed the patch has added histories which is pretty awesome and they're all pretty well written and im noticing other little content additions that i dont remember from previous runs.

I especially like Glass eye, bonus to intimidation but cant get high perception.

Celerity is awesome, but it's kind of a pain in the rear end/mindfuck because it literally slows down everything, even audio. So when you get to grout's mansion listening to his audio and fighting becomes... interesting.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

CaptainPsyko posted:

The 3rd level Thaumaturgy spell is an AE stun that does damage.

It works on most bosses.

Hit that, beat the poo poo out of them until it fades, rinse, and repeat.

Use Blood shield to absorb/ignore most damage, and you have a very overpowered discipline.

Do you mean the second level one that makes them puke, or is there a fan patch that changes things around? I'm just running the basic "fix things and work in Vista" fan patch. Level three is the shield, level four is the multi-blood strike, and five makes guys go pop, which I admit is pretty drat amusing but takes so long that it's not too practical. I could have sworn I tried the puking power on a few bosses, and it just did some nominal damage while they kept whomping on me.

McGuirk posted:

Celerity is awesome, but it's kind of a pain in the rear end/mindfuck because it literally slows down everything, even audio. So when you get to grout's mansion listening to his audio and fighting becomes... interesting.

Not to mention feeding. Slowly... slowly... slowly draining guys dry, especially if they're a "tough" guy with a lot of blood.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
Yeah so far its been my clutch ability as ive gone with a faelike history making me a weakling but i make up for it with auspex gunplay, SMGs are ripping me to pieces still though but blood buff is still there to be abused, actually cool thing about this run is im using blood powers all the time.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Do you mean the second level one that makes them puke, or is there a fan patch that changes things around? I'm just running the basic "fix things and work in Vista" fan patch. Level three is the shield, level four is the multi-blood strike, and five makes guys go pop, which I admit is pretty drat amusing but takes so long that it's not too practical. I could have sworn I tried the puking power on a few bosses, and it just did some nominal damage while they kept whomping on me.

Not to mention feeding. Slowly... slowly... slowly draining guys dry, especially if they're a "tough" guy with a lot of blood.

Yeah, I got level 2 and 3 backwards.

The blood-puke definitely works on a number of bosses, if not all of them.

Ho Chi Minh Holiday Inn
Jul 11, 2006

You may not know it yet, but I'm your worst nightmare.
Level 4 is really good because it makes you take like half damage from everything (and seems to help a lot vs. aggravated damage as well) and Level 5 costs too much blood but it's an instant death on non-bosses that's pretty amusing to watch.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
Ok so i just got Celerity 5 and realised i can dodge bullets and buckshot now. Game just got a billion times better with matrix mode.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
So I had 30-odd points saved up on my Nosferatu and decided to dump them into Animalism just to play around. I never invested in it before, since the descriptions sound kind of useless, but it's actually pretty sweet. The wolf is an instant-kill that's functionally the same as suicide/vision of death, and the bats are surprisingly handy. I figured they would give you one or two blood points and just piss guys off, but they drain a guy completely, giving you another instant-kill move that gives you a net +2 blood points. And unlike blood strike, it incapacitates guys while the bats do their thing, so they don't run around shooting at you. It adds an interesting offensive option to the sneaky-stabby route for a Nosferatu; I'm tempted to try it with a Gangrel to see what it adds to the invincible face-smashing style.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Wingnut Ninja posted:

So I had 30-odd points saved up on my Nosferatu and decided to dump them into Animalism just to play around. I never invested in it before, since the descriptions sound kind of useless, but it's actually pretty sweet. The wolf is an instant-kill that's functionally the same as suicide/vision of death, and the bats are surprisingly handy. I figured they would give you one or two blood points and just piss guys off, but they drain a guy completely, giving you another instant-kill move that gives you a net +2 blood points. And unlike blood strike, it incapacitates guys while the bats do their thing, so they don't run around shooting at you. It adds an interesting offensive option to the sneaky-stabby route for a Nosferatu; I'm tempted to try it with a Gangrel to see what it adds to the invincible face-smashing style.

The 5th level Animalism power is actually the single most powerful discipline in the game, as I recall. It even does more damage to bosses than either Dominate, Dementation, or Thaumaturgy's best "instant-kill" power.

Animalism is insane.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
You guys, when's the sparkle edition finally coming out? :[

Also, seriouspost: how do I activate the console if I bought this through steam? I set up the shortcut command, but when I try to use it, it gives me an application error and says "Failed to find Steam."

Soup du Journey fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Apr 18, 2011

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Doctor Schnabel posted:

Also, seriouspost: how do I activate the console if I bought this through steam? I set up the shortcut command, but when I try to use it, it gives me an application error and says "Failed to find Steam."

Right click on the game in your library, select "Properties", click Set Launch Options. Put "-console" in the box. Works for me.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Right click on the game in your library, select "Properties", click Set Launch Options. Put "-console" in the box. Works for me.
Wingnut, you're a peach, you know that? These other bums have nothing on you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
Alright, since I'm bored it's time for a history lesson.

-----------------------

In the Beginning, there was nothing. And then God created the Heavens and the Earth. This was probably the first mistake.

Once the Earth had been created and God had made his Garden of Eden, he created Adam and Eve to be fruitful and multiply. After their exile for eating of the Tree of Knowledge, they were. Their first son was Caine, the second Abel. Both sons were raised to love God, even after his casting humans from Eden. They grew up and gave sacrifices to God as he asked. Abel was a shepherd and would give to God the strongest of his animals. Caine was a farmer, giving up the finest fruits and grains to the Lord. Despite giving equally, God seemed to favor Abel with greater prosperity than Caine. Long story short, Caine kills Abel.

Now, the reason why is pretty hotly debated among kindred. Some say it was Caine's anger and rage that drove him to it out of jealousy, thus forming what would one night be passed to his childer as the Beast. Others contest that it was because God demanded a sacrifice of blood rather than of plants. In this, Caine could not compete with Abel except in one way. He offered up his own beloved brother to his God. Lending further credence to this is that it wasn't God who cast out Caine, but Adam. God actually placed a mark of protection on Caine's forehead, stating that any who harmed Caine would have 7 times the harm inflicted upon them. And so, Caine went east into the Land of Nod...

In Nod, Caine wandered cold and alone. When he was at his most desperate, Lilith found him. She was Adam's first wife, banished from Eden for considering her equal not only to him, but to God as well. She had learned how to survive outside of God's embrace and saw a kindred spirit in Caine, cursed as she had been. Lilith took in Caine and fed him, clothed him and comforted him in his need.

In time, Caine grew strong again and wished to learn how Lilith had made her house in the darkness of Nod. He wished to longer be in her care, but to care for himself and no longer in thrall to her. Lilith had doubts, as Caine was truly cursed by God, but she drew her blood into a bowl for him. Caine drank deeply and fell into darkness. There, in the deep dark, the angels came.

First came the archangel Michael asking that Caine repent his great crime, for God's love was just as great. Caine refused, preferring to walk with pride and by his own graces. Michael cursed him then, that he and all his descendants will ever fear the living flame. In the morning, Raphael came saying that even now Abel forgives him. Will Caine not accept God's mercy? Again, Caine refused. Raphael cursed him as the Ward of the East and Bringer of Dawn. Caine and his children would forever fear the sun, which would now burn like fire. Caine hid deep in the earth as the sun dawned.

That night, as Caine climbed from his earthen bed, Uriel, the Angel of Death, came to him. He told the man that even now God has forgiven him for his crimes. Will Caine allow him to carry him to his reward, free from sin and uncursed? Caine refused a third time, knowing that nothing could undo the past and not wishing to live by anyone's mercy but his own. Uriel laid what was probably the most dire curse yet. Caine and his children would never truly die. They would live on as they were at the time of death, but never dying. They would eat only ashes and drink only blood. As Caine gnashed his teeth and wept blood, the angel Gabriel came to him. All is not lost, he said, for there is still mercy in God's heart. There is a path that Caine and his children can walk to seek redemption. That road is Golconda.

When the darkness lifted, Caine found himself Awakened by Lilith's blood. The powers she held, strength, speed and other more varied, were now his. As he tested his newfound strength, she demanded he stop, for his sudden adeptness frightened her. Though he heeded her out of respect for her own power, he left her that night, hiding with his powers and moving on to where she and her demons could not find him.

Next time: The Crone and Baby-mama Drama

• Locked thread