Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Casao posted:

I dunno what's in fresh, but CM adds a ton over stock, including custom power control widget, power control in the notification tray, swipe to dismiss, 360 degree rotation, built in overclocking, massive performance improvements at a code level, etc etc. You can look it up, but it adds a ton of features over even stock SenseUI.

The entire feature set from both 6.x and 7.0.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Nevermind everybody. I completely bricked :bravo:

chomper
Aug 16, 2007

Los Bastardos

The General posted:

That loving sucks. There's no way to un-gently caress it?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

The General posted:

Can you finagle it into download mode?

(Hold both volume buttons & insert USB cable)

The General
Mar 4, 2007

nimper posted:

Can you finagle it into download mode?

(Hold both volume buttons & insert USB cable)

I can't even get it to turn on. I mean, literally turn on. It doesnt recognize the power button being pressed, or the fact that it's plugged into a charger.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

The General posted:

I can't even get it to turn on. I mean, literally turn on. It doesnt recognize the power button being pressed, or the fact that it's plugged into a charger.

Better order a jig!

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1007931

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Casao posted:

power control in the notification tray,

This exists in Fresh, but the implementation is kinda hacked together (you can't change buttons or ordering in the UI, you have to edit a text file and flash it using recovery).

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

If the phone won't even turn on that won't work.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
For those with a Viewsonic G-Tablet, just as we got CM7 with tablet tweaks, we now have a release candidate for VEGAn-tab GingerEdition. I am in the process of flashing it now, and will report back.

I'm very excited about this as I really liked VEGAn-Tab 5.1.1, then CM7 came out for the tab and I switched, but all the reports so far are of this being very responsive.

Edit: This poo poo is the tits for tablets. Most of the phone poo poo is gone, the slide works horizontally (though the rotaries are broken), and it has all the functionality of CM7, just set up for a tablet. It also comes with the VTL.Launcher, which is essentially ADW modded for tablets, and it's all in all very sleek and speedy. Also, it's nice seeing "Rebooting Tablet" instead of "Rebooting Phone."

Paramemetic fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Apr 12, 2011

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

The General posted:

This probably won't help, but have you tried removing and re-seating the battery? The one and only time my phone did this (not during the process of rooting), that's what fixed it.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

feedmegin posted:

This probably won't help, but have you tried removing and re-seating the battery? The one and only time my phone did this (not during the process of rooting), that's what fixed it.

I took a fresh battery off the charger and swapped it in. It's done. Luckily I have insurance on my phone and I only have to pay $150 for a new one, instead of the usual $500+. The bad news is, it may be a week or two before I can afford that.

Edit: And I get to keep the battery, so that technically makes up for $100 in product. (I will ignore the fact that I can get two batteries with a wall charger from ebay for $10. Just to make myself feel better about this).

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

The General posted:

I took a fresh battery off the charger and swapped it in. It's done. Luckily I have insurance on my phone and I only have to pay $150 for a new one, instead of the usual $500+. The bad news is, it may be a week or two before I can afford that.

Edit: And I get to keep the battery, so that technically makes up for $100 in product. (I will ignore the fact that I can get two batteries with a wall charger from ebay for $10. Just to make myself feel better about this).

Just out of curiosity, how exactly did you go about bricking the phone? Was it a failed flash from Odin or what?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

nimper posted:

Just out of curiosity, how exactly did you go about bricking the phone? Was it a failed flash from Odin or what?

Pretty much.

Somewhere along the way I got confused and flashed the wrong thing, causing a soft lock of sorts. While following a tutorial on how to fix all my problems, I came to here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=811660

After flashing that with Odin, my phone turned off and wont recognize the power button.

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

That's a side effect of the marijuana poisoning.

The General posted:

Aw man that sucks, don't give up hope there may be a fix, if you don't have to return your phone to get a new one then its worth hanging onto to it in case you can fix it at some point. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful earlier.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Solly posted:

Aw man that sucks, don't give up hope there may be a fix, if you don't have to return your phone to get a new one then its worth hanging onto to it in case you can fix it at some point. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful earlier.

I clearly shouldn't be playing around with custom roms and whatnot. I'm not to stressed about it, because I knew it could happen.

Though I blame Samsung for having 10 phones all called Galaxy.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Solly posted:

Anyone had a chance to try the final cm on a desire, I'm running ginger villain at the moment and so far the only problem is a complete lack of gps, just wondered how pure cm compared in terms of stability. Is this version supposed to be entirely major bug free now?

I've been using CM7 on my GSM Desire since unofficial nightlies in January, it's worked great for me and has been stable except for the February 17th build. CM7 Final works great.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

The General posted:

Though I blame Samsung for having 10 phones all called Galaxy.
Well that, and the Fascinate in the US is a Verzion CDMA phone, but in Canada is a Telus GSM/UMTS phone. The latter actually being the near-hardware equivalent of the (T-Mobile) Vibrant. Except the Vibrant in Canada is a Bell phone, also known as the GT-I9000M and religiously fries its internal SD.

gently caress Samsung.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

this has now made me slightly paranoid about using Odin to dump my DK28 Epic back to DI18 so I can run the OTA updates to the actual final froyo.

I mean I'm gonna do it and if I brick my phone I guess get a Nexus S despite the fact that I dislike some parts of the phone but enjoy the idea that it will have better community support and Google support...

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
So far, CM 7.0.0 seems pretty solid, though I'm having a slight UI issue -

Whenever I try to quickly drag down the notification shade, it acts like it "jumps" back up for a split second, and then continues to open. Also, the swipe gesture for Launcher Pro to open the Notifications doesn't work anymore.

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

Sir Unimaginative posted:

And it's not any better from the GSM end - us Captivate users have to give up the camera (or at least any app that uses it other than the photo app), and Vibrant users still have Vibrants :mmmsmug:

The camera works perfectly fine on my CM7 Vibrant :smugbert:

The General posted:

Leave the battery out overnight and try again tomorrow.

It's almost impossible to truly brick that phone, particularly in the way you describe.

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003

Ozmodiar posted:

Whenever I try to quickly drag down the notification shade, it acts like it "jumps" back up for a split second, and then continues to open. Also, the swipe gesture for Launcher Pro to open the Notifications doesn't work anymore.

Yeah, I have run into those exact issues as well (though, swap out Launcherpro for ADW EX).

Schizo
Sep 9, 2001

Oh shit, Robotech lawyers!

Ozmodiar posted:

This is the only problem I have with CM7 so far, and it wasn't there in RC4. :(

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Wifi was acting wonky with CM7 Final on my Gtablet. I chalk it up to installing it over the nightly and not wiping. Tried a wipe and reinstall and it seems to be better.

Stupid Decisions
Nov 10, 2009
Slippery Tilde
I am thinking of putting CM7 on my desire(UK T-Mobile) for a bit of a change but have a couple of questions.

I was going to follow the tutorial at http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1016084 but there is no mention of creating a gold card, is this still needed?

My HBOOT version is 0.93.001, does that mean I am screwed?

MrBishi
Sep 11, 2001

My pupil goes to 11!
You don't need a gold card for rooting any more, the old method required it but Unrevoked removes that need. Your HBOOT version is fine, it won't affect rooting or the ability to perform the S-OFF procedure :)

Stupid Decisions
Nov 10, 2009
Slippery Tilde
Perfect, thanks for the help!

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

It could be in my head, but I swear the CM7 nightly I was using got way better battery life than the final release does.

I guess I should clear the battery stats and see what that does.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

brc64 posted:

The no-Sense thing is probably more significant than you realize if you haven't tried one of those ROMs before. I was pretty happy with Fresh, but just installing one of the early nightly builds of CM7 gave me a noticeable performance boost on my EVO. Your mileage may, of course, vary.

I want to second this, I came from FRESH, and installed CM7 on a whim. Immediatley noticed a difference in performance and speed.

I miss the contacts and dialer, that is essentially it though. The performance improvement is very noticeable, and while risking sounding stupid or cliche', the battery life is significantly better. I havent done the GPS fix yet though, will work on that later today.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

I've been trying to go through this thread and figured I'd try and root my phone. I'm getting a HTC Desire one of these days, and I'm trying to figure out if i've understood everything.
I live in Denmark, this means that the phone is gonna be GSM, right? How can i check this?

Second, if I wanna put CyanogenMod on it, would this be the right guide to follow?

http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php?title=HTC_Desire_%28GSM%29:_Full_Update_Guide

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Red_Fred posted:

I just downloaded it again and tried flashing it. It restarted my phone when I went to turn off Wi-Fi like it did before.

Any other suggestions? Clear cache before flash? How do I even do that?

You clear cache in recovery mode. Just follow the menus. What I would do is wipe data (you can do this in recovery also) also, and flash to the newest CM7. Clear as Day now works with it (see thread in XDA) and download the new version of it. Flash that and cross your fingers.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Kind of a neat/useful endeavor by the Unrevoked guys -

Buy Root Friendly

http://unrevoked.com/rootwiki/doku.php/public/root_friendly

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
i'll do a mothafuckin' walk-by
I just installed CyanogenMod 7 on my Evo and so far I'm glad I made the switch. It feels a bit snappier than when I was running Fresh. It's subtle enough that it might just be placebo, but if the experience is better then who cares about the benchmarks and the actual numbers.

My only issue is, for some reason the Market is saying that I didn't buy LauncherPro Plus. I don't want to buy the same app twice, but I like it so much more than ADW... :argh:

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

Shroomie posted:

It could be in my head, but I swear the CM7 nightly I was using got way better battery life than the final release does.

I guess I should clear the battery stats and see what that does.
I'm seeing the same thing, I think; just done a wipe and reflash, and going to see how my Desire fares tomorrow.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

diegetic poster posted:

I just installed CyanogenMod 7 on my Evo and so far I'm glad I made the switch. It feels a bit snappier than when I was running Fresh. It's subtle enough that it might just be placebo, but if the experience is better then who cares about the benchmarks and the actual numbers.

My only issue is, for some reason the Market is saying that I didn't buy LauncherPro Plus. I don't want to buy the same app twice, but I like it so much more than ADW... :argh:

Did you buy LPP through the market, or did you buy it directly from the Dev and use an upgrade key?

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
Is anyone running CM7 on an EVO? I had a bad experience with CM6 on my Droid and need some good remarks about CM7 on the EVO before I go through with it.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Mark Larson posted:

Is anyone running CM7 on an EVO? I had a bad experience with CM6 on my Droid and need some good remarks about CM7 on the EVO before I go through with it.

Been running it as my daily driver since RC1.

The ONLY complaint I have about 7.0.0 is the small UI stutter on the notification shade...bit its rock solid otherwise.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
As I understand it CM7 uses both Apps2SD and the normal Android App Mover. Being that I have a Desire I want to force as much as I can on to the SD card.

Are there any apps that should not be moved? Obviously I'm not going to move any apps that use widgets. I'm mainly thinking of apps like Maps that use the GPS that might be best not moved over.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Red_Fred posted:

As I understand it CM7 uses both Apps2SD and the normal Android App Mover. Being that I have a Desire I want to force as much as I can on to the SD card.

Are there any apps that should not be moved? Obviously I'm not going to move any apps that use widgets. I'm mainly thinking of apps like Maps that use the GPS that might be best not moved over.

Do you have a GSM Desire? If you do, you can use http://alpharev.nl/ and the Bravo CM7 partition table thing to have double the storage available for apps.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
http://twitter.com/LayherDaddy/status/57985020484268032

Thunderbolt users rejoice. They've got 3G and 4G working on CM7. Looks like release will be just around the corner. Thank god too, these other ROMs just aren't cutting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

I havent done the GPS fix yet though, will work on that later today.

Good loving luck. I sat outside and smoked half a pack waiting for gps to lock on and finally turned it all off in disgust. I don't get it, CM6.1.1 would get an almost instant fix but cm7 is an assbutt about GPS. My battery life isn't really much improved over CM6 either. I'm half tempted to flash back because of this retardation. How the gently caress can you call it a final release without such a fundamental part of phone function being so boondoggled. Last time I checked the G2 wasn't such an archaic piece of poo poo that it couldn't be supported in this regard.